Nobody puts Billy in a corner!

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Nobody puts Billy in a corner!

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
TooOldToCare
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Re: Nobody puts Billy in a corner!

Post by TooOldToCare »

Nothing to add except I saw the Eat 'Em and Smile tour and thought it was a great show. I was never into Talas and Vai's solo stuff, so I didn't realize how badass this band really was until later. I was a dumb college kid.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Same. I roadtripped from Penn State to the Philly Spectrum for the show. I knew Sheehan and Vai from Guitar magazine but I didn't get into their solo stuff til later. And yes it was an amazing concert. Shit the beat outta Van Hagar.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
TooOldToCare

Post by TooOldToCare »

Same here. It was not a big road trip (University of Findlay to the Toledo Sports Arena), but it was a vibe. Tons of pre-gaming in the parking lot; Just a great era to live through. I believe Cinderella opened and some chick on the floor (we were at the stage) had her hand down my pants stroking it while her bf was none the wiser.

I don't doubt Dave started pulling shit like the tape on the stage with Skyscraper.
Tommy2Tone84
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

Dave has to be the dumbest band leader of all time. His gigantic ego sabotaged the only chance he had at eclipsing Van Halen.

I would also argue that Dave is ten times the douche and nightmare that Sebastian Bach ever was.
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

TooOldToCare wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:25 pm
I don't doubt Dave started pulling shit like the tape on the stage with Skyscraper.
I think Sheehan's timeline is off. The Skyscraper tour still seemed like a band having fun onstage and Vai was all over the place, triple neck guitar and all.

Then on the ALAE tour it was DLR doing Monkey Hour (tm) in front of some faceless musicians. So if it happened my guess is the ALAE tour.
Spongie

Post by Spongie »

That band epitomized ‘gay’. All that hip thrusting in stuffed day-glo spandex and knee pads. Next level queer. :oops:
FreddyFender
Headlining Clubs

Post by FreddyFender »

I know I'm in the minority here but I don't like the EEAS band. Billy Sheehan and Steve Vai suck ass.

Dave essentially trying to copy the formula of the coolest, sexiest band on the planet and trying to do it with a bunch of MIT dorks was incredibly misguided.

The only real success Roth had outside of Van Halen was the Crazy From the Heat EP and "Just Like Paradise" - Dave being Dave in a pop environment.

Yeah yeah - EEAS had some tunes that did okay on the charts, but Dave could have farted into the mic in 1985-86 and gone platinum.

Dave's solo career as far as rock music is concerned was a total failure - I don't care what the dork that he hired to do bass tapping onstage thinks... he should have never been onstage with Roth in the first place.
DangerZone
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by DangerZone »

^^^ 2 nice shit takes in a row
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Yeah if you don't like the EEAS band then you're in the wrong place
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

Spongie wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:32 am That band epitomized ‘gay’. All that hip thrusting in stuffed day-glo spandex and knee pads. Next level queer. :oops:
In a thread a year ago or so some of us argued that the videos from EEAS were done as a parody of 80s metal with all cliches turned up to 11.

Roth has said and written some things that indicate he wasn't a fan of hair metal and he's just the person to make a parody video and laugh at the reactions.
tooth
Recording Debut Album

Post by tooth »

I love the interview Billy did with Tory Magoo.
https://youtu.be/c0g4X30mzhs?t=118
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Love_Industry wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:38 am
Spongie wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:32 am That band epitomized ‘gay’. All that hip thrusting in stuffed day-glo spandex and knee pads. Next level queer. :oops:
In a thread a year ago or so some of us argued that the videos from EEAS were done as a parody of 80s metal with all cliches turned up to 11.
Except that hair metal was still in the embryonic stage in 86.

More like the EEAS band was Roth with the governor off - he got to do all the wild outlandish shit he wanted to do in VH with no pushback.