Falling out of love with music?

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

VinnieVincentsVag
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Falling out of love with music?

Post by VinnieVincentsVag »

Anyone else having this issue?
Can’t find any new stuff I really like.
Tired of the old stuff I listen to.
Rarely listen to music anymore.
Haven’t picked up an instrument in months.
GreatWhiteSnake
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Re: Falling out of love with music?

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

Buck up young fella! There's brighter days ahead...
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557
Black Stuff
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by Black Stuff »

a while back. I dindt stop listening, but def reduced quite a bit. Life kicked up and I got tired of the clubowners BS. But fast forward a few years and I am back playing and rocking with a renewed passion. Sometimes we just need to step back for a little bit and recharge.
The power of Sludge compels you.
Rocker4Real
Recording Your Demo

Post by Rocker4Real »

I listen to music a lot less these days. The new stuff I find is usually old stuff I haven't heard before.
Psychobolia.com
Location: Paris, France, land of sleaze and cheese, wine and whine

Post by Psychobolia.com »

The key is finding old stuff that is new to you.

Example: I recently "discovered" that there was more to Lynryd Skynrd beyond the Freebird/SweetHomeAlabama/ThatSmell stuff that I used to constantly hear back in my radio listening days...
Spongie
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by Spongie »

Death metal. You’re welcome.
Sleek

Post by Sleek »

Psychobolia.com wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:12 pm The key is finding old stuff that is new to you.

Example: I recently "discovered" that there was more to Lynryd Skynrd beyond the Freebird/SweetHomeAlabama/ThatSmell stuff that I used to constantly hear back in my radio listening days...
This is pretty much me, except I have expanded genres. Pretty much all I listen to these days is jazz, old soul or disco. TONS of amazing music that I missed.

The shit I listened to as a teenager tho? Fucking never. Absolutely amazes me on this board when growed-ass people sing the praises of like, Winger or Kiss or whatevz.
ROADHEAD wrote:I've never tasted coffee
HueyRamone wrote:I like Radio Gaga
HueyRamone wrote:QUIT FUCKING WITH MY SETLIST, ASSWIPE!

FreddyFender
Headlining Clubs

Post by FreddyFender »

Yep… I mainly listen to Motown, Rnb 60s-80s, old country,
Some folky English stuff like Fairport Convention, etc etc.

I still like a lot of the 70s and 80s rock I liked when I was younger, but couldn’t give two shits about what those bands are doing now. I bought and enjoyed all of the albums Lynch Mob did after reuniting with Oni, tried and failed to get interested in Red Dragon Cartel… otherwise have had no interested in 80s bands post 2000 releases.

Still love music, still play out, but Billy Sheenhan, Steve Vai, and the EAAS band are fucking lame.
SterileEyes1
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by SterileEyes1 »

Yep, been that way for at least a decade for me. I play once a week at most and I rarely if ever seek out new music to listen to. If someone sends me something unsolicited (“check this out!”) I rarely do. I rarely listen to music, maybe one vinyl per week on average or one album on a six hour car ride. The most listening and playing I do is if I’m learning something to cover or preparing to record something.

At first I felt guilty. Then about ten years ago I read an interview with EVH where the article starts off with him saying he doesn’t listen to music, hasn’t for a long time, and in his car he prefers the sound of the motor.

I’ve since heard from other musician friends that they’re similar. I think when people like us are so immersed in it, we appreciate and crave silence after awhile.
My Video Covers: https://www.youtube.com/@therealjeffstein/

"Diary Of A Madman"
"Aja"
"Atlas, Rise!"
“Sludge Factory”
"Locomotive"

My Original Music: https://jeffstein.bandcamp.com
diablomozart
Headlining Clubs

Post by diablomozart »

happened to me a number of years ago...i started learning piano and switched genres to classical/orchestra styled music...it was a very nice break from metal which i returned to a few years later and made me think very differently about melody...your mileage may vary...d.m.
LovePowerFromTheMamaHead
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by LovePowerFromTheMamaHead »

VinnieVincentsVag wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:25 pm Anyone else having this issue?
it's happened to me a few times.
First time it happened, I was brought back around by a friend that started a band around 2002. It got me in to checking out a lot of local music again. I started cincymetal website and was really in to listening to and playing music more than ever at that time. I even finally got in my first band. I was doing a lot of writing and home recording as well. Eventually, band disbanded and music felt like a chore due to the disappointment and I gave up on the website as well. I have been in other bands off and on, but nothing more than just practicing and hanging out.

After years of not much involvement with music, I got into Christian rock bands. Say what you will about them, but some are really good. Disciple and Decypher Down were ones I was really in to. Eventually, though just got bored with it.

Then years later, I discovered "Thrill" by Band Maid and got pretty excited about music again. Started to explore a lot of other japanese bands and had desire to learn the songs. It lasted a while, but it became stale to me eventually and Band Maid started writing all their songs, most of which I didn't like and I got tired of not understanding any of the japanese lyrics.

A few years later, I started checking out older OPM bands (my wife is from the Philippines). Wolfgang and Razorback stood out for me, but their discographies were not very big so they become stale quick.

Now, I hardly ever pick up my guitar, and it's been like that for quite a few years. Without being in a band, it doesn't bring me a whole lot of joy. It's like why am I bothering to learn songs or play these old songs again when no one will ever hear them. I also don't seem to be able to find the time anymore.

I think it's ok to not like music from time to time. If your heart isn't in it and it isn't a source of revenue for you , it's ok to put down the instrument for a while.
You don't want to force yourself to play it to where it becomes a chore and you start to actively dislike it.

Eventually, maybe by accident, you will come across something that will sound fresh and exciting again to you and you will jump right back in. OR, maybe you won't and I guess that's ok to. You probably have filled your time with other things or people that are more important to you than music and you don't need it as much anymore.
I have realized my days of playing are over. I am going to keep my guitars and stuff around just as a remembrance of when I was a little bit cooler than I am now.

I am kind of excited somewhat about music now since the return of Revis though....
ROADHEAD wrote:No, the book is live. I can see guys holding guitars in it. It's a live book.
DeathCurse wrote:A guy like Mamahead couldn't inspire anyone to hand over 5 bucks. He's not a douche, he's not awesome. He's just here.
aznsquirt
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by aznsquirt »

Psychobolia.com wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:12 pm The key is finding old stuff that is new to you.

Good fucking call.

Try ABBA.
Whatever Happened To…
Headlining Clubs

Post by Whatever Happened To… »

It's time to discover Jazz.
Love_Industry
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Love_Industry »

Rocker4Real wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:49 pm I listen to music a lot less these days. The new stuff I find is usually old stuff I haven't heard before.
This. Late 2010s and 2020s music just doesn't do it for me. At least not now but I have discovered some 80s and 90s band I missed back in the day.
This way maybe I'll discover some great 2020s bands in say 2045.
Or maybe it's just a musical era I don't particularly like.
risingfarce
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by risingfarce »

VinnieVincentsVag wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:25 pm Anyone else having this issue?
When a band becomes a dinosaur band (no new music), I tend not to listen to them or not all that much. A new studio cd makes me want to purchase it and go see them on tour. When a band stops touring, I focus on the bands that still are touring. I'll support a band who's releasing new cds and if I like the new material, I'll go see them if they play locally (no more than a 1 1/2 hour drive). No more long distance shows for me. I've seen these bands plenty of times already. I'm not travelling to go see them anymore.

I rarely listen to cds. I don't listen to the radio (haven't in probably 25 years). I purchased one cd last year (new Extreme) and one two years ago (Queensryche). I saw both of them on their tours in support of those cds last year. This year? So far, no new cds and no concert tickets. Mr. Big is supposed to be working on a new cd. Instead of purchasing it right away, I'll check it out on YouTube first. They've been hit or miss since "What If". Eric Martin's voice hasn't been great for the last decade (good on "What If", but not great like he used to be).

I haven't picked up my guitar to just noodle in years. I haven't seriously played in 25-ish years due to arthritis in my hands and a lack of interest. Plus, my band (just for fun band with three friends) ended when they got married, bought houses, and had children.

I rarely listen to music. When I do, it's normally on YouTube. For a half hour or so, I'll pick a band, a genre, or a time period. Sometimes I just scan through the related videos for the next song to listen to. For the past few years, I've been listening to various 1970s songs that I remember hearing on the radio, but never purchased.

Some bands that I used to listen to back then I don't listen to them at all now. My favorites will always be my favorites. Others moved out of my top 10.

Music was my biggest time consumer as far as a hobby goes. Music doesn't have that effect on me anymore. I'd rather spend time doing something else.

My bands got older and so did I.

Thankfully, I got to see 161 concerts. I doubt I'll get to 170.
risingfarce
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by risingfarce »

LovePowerFromTheMamaHead wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:53 pm
it's happened to me a few times.
First time it happened, I was brought back around by a friend that started a band around 2002. It got me in to checking out a lot of local music again. I started cincymetal website and was really in to listening to and playing music more than ever at that time. I even finally got in my first band. I was doing a lot of writing and home recording as well. Eventually, band disbanded and music felt like a chore due to the disappointment and I gave up on the website as well. I have been in other bands off and on, but nothing more than just practicing and hanging out.

After years of not much involvement with music, I got into Christian rock bands. Say what you will about them, but some are really good. Disciple and Decypher Down were ones I was really in to. Eventually, though just got bored with it.

Then years later, I discovered "Thrill" by Band Maid and got pretty excited about music again. Started to explore a lot of other japanese bands and had desire to learn the songs. It lasted a while, but it became stale to me eventually and Band Maid started writing all their songs, most of which I didn't like and I got tired of not understanding any of the japanese lyrics.

A few years later, I started checking out older OPM bands (my wife is from the Philippines). Wolfgang and Razorback stood out for me, but their discographies were not very big so they become stale quick.

Now, I hardly ever pick up my guitar, and it's been like that for quite a few years. Without being in a band, it doesn't bring me a whole lot of joy. It's like why am I bothering to learn songs or play these old songs again when no one will ever hear them. I also don't seem to be able to find the time anymore.

I think it's ok to not like music from time to time. If your heart isn't in it and it isn't a source of revenue for you , it's ok to put down the instrument for a while.
You don't want to force yourself to play it to where it becomes a chore and you start to actively dislike it.

Eventually, maybe by accident, you will come across something that will sound fresh and exciting again to you and you will jump right back in. OR, maybe you won't and I guess that's ok to. You probably have filled your time with other things or people that are more important to you than music and you don't need it as much anymore.
I have realized my days of playing are over. I am going to keep my guitars and stuff around just as a remembrance of when I was a little bit cooler than I am now.

I am kind of excited somewhat about music now since the return of Revis though....
"Chore" is exactly it. My band learned between 50 and 60 cover songs. It became a chore to learn new songs and practice the other ones. I got to the point that I would rather go for a one hour walk than sit at home for an hour playing guitar.

Some of those songs I could play on auto-pilot. At that point of time, that was as far as I was going to get musically. I was never going to go from intermediate guitarist to advanced.

Having the band was fun at the beginning, then it became a chore. When it became a chore is when I lost interest. It wasn't fun, it was work.

I thought that I would miss playing, but I didn't and moved onto different things. That's when I didn't spend as much time listening to music anymore.
El Vampiro Blanco
Headlining Clubs

Post by El Vampiro Blanco »

aznsquirt wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:37 am

Good fucking call.

Try ABBA.
Same here, discovering old stuff I never got around listening to.
Discovered the 70's Heart albums recently....
whiteowl yesterday

Post by whiteowl yesterday »

haven't played guitar or write songs or sing in years but still love to listen to music and not even new music other than shinedown.
"artist formerly known as midnighttoker"
Psychobolia.com
Location: Paris, France, land of sleaze and cheese, wine and whine

Post by Psychobolia.com »

Good fucking call.

Try ABBA.
Lol...that's one of my "late discovery" bands, ABBA's Gold best of comp kicks ass.
Spongie wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:36 pm Death metal. You’re welcome.
Agree with this too, death metal is great...my latest find: Cannabis Corpse. I'd heard about them for years and assumed it was a stupid joke band, but the musicianship and songs on their last few albums are solid.
GoodJudge

Post by GoodJudge »

I've never been in a band but I stopped going to many gigs in the 2010s as I did get burned out - "too much music and too many bands" as the song goes. But although I also dipped for a little while on new music in general, it didn't last long. Like others have said, there's tons of new and old to discover, or revisit what you might have dismissed when younger as your tastes will have changed.
Bored of standard rock? Try some foreign language scenes. They have decades of history too. Or try opera or polka or gypsy music or dub reggae or...

Personally, I've been listening to quite a bit of classical music in recent years, especially Sibelius, but also modern folk metal e.g. Feuerschwanz, Alestorm, Heidevolk and Myrkur (am seeing her next week). And more besides - I mentioned Sharon Van Etten in another thread yesterday, dark singer-songwriter stuff, she's been making music for 15 years but I've only recently heard her so there's a big catalogue to dig into.
cowpins
Platinum Artist

Post by cowpins »

I've had a resurgence with music with my son who just turned 17. Not only his he getting into the bands I was into at his age (The Doors, Zep, The Stones, Sabbath, Hendrix, etc...), he's diving way deep into their catalogs and introducing me to songs I've never heard, or haven't listen to in 30+ years. He also introducing me to bands that I never gave a chance to. Point being, like others have said there's sooooooo much good stuff out there, just need to take the time to find it.
"bus problems come on man so boring we have our bus its awesome and we r watching judge judy on it right now tour is going great 14 more shows to go see you out there rockin peeps not you garbageman you stay home" - HueyRamone, 7/3/12
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

El Vampiro Blanco wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:01 am
Any good? Where to start? I discovered Heart in the 80s and thought that the s/t was their debut... not knowing they were huge in the US for a decade before that.

Will see them for the first time this summer.. their 2nd show ever in Sweden. Too bad they don't play very much from the s/t, Bad Animals, Brigade and Desire Walks On.
VinnieVincentsVag

LovePowerFromTheMamaHead wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:53 pm
I started cincymetal website
I think one of my old bands is on there.
sirthx2
Doing 10 Questions with Metal Sludge

Post by sirthx2 »

Sleek wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:14 pm

This is pretty much me, except I have expanded genres. Pretty much all I listen to these days is jazz, old soul or disco. TONS of amazing music that I missed.

The shit I listened to as a teenager tho? Fucking never. Absolutely amazes me on this board when growed-ass people sing the praises of like, Winger or Kiss or whatevz.
100% Once in a while a song will come on in the car like Say What You Will and I'll crank it so loud I annoy people in other cars even with my windows up, but most of the time I cringe at 80s metal. How did I ever sing 'Slide it In' with a straight face? Fuck, that's embarrassing. Steely Dan for the win! Man, did I ever turn into my dad. That's a bit embarrassing too.
"Most rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read." - Frank Zappa

"If you don't like The Darkness, you suck at music listening." - Michelish circa 2021
aznsquirt

Post by aznsquirt »

Psychobolia.com wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:52 am

Good fucking call.

Try ABBA.
Lol...that's one of my "late discovery" bands, ABBA's Gold best of comp kicks ass.=
Yeah. I wasn't really kidding, haha.
GreatWhiteSnake

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

I'm feeling somewhat responsible. The timing seems to coincide with when you first heard my FilthySnake riff...
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557
El Vampiro Blanco
Headlining Clubs

Post by El Vampiro Blanco »

Love_Industry wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:34 am
El Vampiro Blanco wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:01 am
Any good? Where to start? I discovered Heart in the 80s and thought that the s/t was their debut... not knowing they were huge in the US for a decade before that.

Will see them for the first time this summer.. their 2nd show ever in Sweden. Too bad they don't play very much from the s/t, Bad Animals, Brigade and Desire Walks On.
I just turned on Spotify and started with the debut album which I thought was really good and the albums after that till like 1980 were all enjoyable to me....
After that I'm not that fond of it. You can still marvel at her voice, but the songs and sound are not really my cup of tea....
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

aznsquirt wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:24 am

Good fucking call.

Try ABBA.
Lol...that's one of my "late discovery" bands, ABBA's Gold best of comp kicks ass.=
Gold is gold indeed and I love the "new" track on there, I Am the City. But if you like Gold you should try the studio albums. The really early ones are nothing special but from the s/t and on there are some really good tunes that didn't make it to either Gold cd. And then there are the single and b-side only tracks....
VinnieVincentsVag

GreatWhiteSnake wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:33 am I'm feeling somewhat responsible. The timing seems to coincide with when you first heard my FilthySnake riff...
Nah.
It was before then.
I feel bad I haven’t done anything with it.
KeyofG also sent me some lyrics that I haven’t done anything with either.
Sorry guys.
Suffering from bad trigger finger on my fret hand (ring finger), so I physically can’t even play guitar at the moment.
Thats been 2 months now.
Finally have a Dr appointment on Monday.
Had it on my right hand middle finger decades ago and had surgery.
Hopefully a cortisone shot will do the trick.
I’m just burnt out.
Guitar has been my life for 41 yrs.
Passion is just gone now.
The worst thing is, I don’t have any hobbies to take it’s place.
aznsquirt

Post by aznsquirt »

Love_Industry wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:58 am
aznsquirt wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:24 am

Gold is gold indeed and I love the "new" track on there, I Am the City. But if you like Gold you should try the studio albums. The really early ones are nothing special but from the s/t and on there are some really good tunes that didn't make it to either Gold cd. And then there are the single and b-side only tracks....
My current thing is listening to Crashdiet and imagining their songs re-arranged in the style of Abba.

It's all over the place in their music, but in particular, the song "No Man's Land" from their latest album is just straight up OG Swedish Pop songwriting. It even already basically has a disco beat masquerading as an early-90s Pantera riff, haha.

https://youtu.be/ySsxrFeaghc?si=t5_P6CUmCAmK2aM_