Tribute Bands

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

risingfarce
Cockblocked by Poison

Re: Tribute Bands

Post by risingfarce »

uwec95 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:23 pm I just got back from seeing Brit Floyd, a Pink Floyd tribute band that tours and puts on a big production. The show was phenomenal. They are great musicians, they sound just like Pink Floyd, and they have the visuals to match. This is the first tribute band I have seen, and it made me wonder what other good ones are out there touring. So, have any of you seen some good touring tribute bands that would be good to see if they had a show where I live (Milwaukee)? I'm talking actual tribute bands (not Quiet Riot or any of the other washed up bands talked about on here with few or no original members).
Get The Led Out - I saw them once two years ago. They were excellent. Performance-wise they blow Led Zeppelin away. The band has seven members: vocalist, bassist, drummer, two guitarists, and a guitarist/keyboardist. They do all of the guitar overdubs and any harmony vocals. They tour constantly. They change up the set list at each show. You can follow them on Facebook to see that night's set.

Gary Mullen and The Works/One Night of Queen - I saw them once something like 15 years ago. The band was good. Gary Mullen was excellent. Out of the tribute bands that I've seen, Gary was the closest to sounding like the singer he was emulating. They tour the U.S. each year.

Marc Martel/The Ultimate Queen Celebration - I saw him once about 5 years ago. He sang well, but he didn't sound exactly like Freddie.

A long time ago I saw Physical Grafitti (three times), Rock And Roll Over (three times), Cold Gin (one time), a RUSH tribute band (I'm forgetting the name), and an Iron Maiden tribute band (perhaps Aces High). I don't think any of those band exist any longer.
keyofgee
Headlining Clubs

Post by keyofgee »

Kid-Wicked wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:58 pm
keyofgee wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:46 am Tribute bands exist because people won’t give new music or new music from older bands they grew up on a chance for new stuff for the most part..
Anyway. Saying that, if you like Kid Rock go see Kid Kentucky. Don is basically Kid rocks clone. Looks, moves and sings? Just like him..he gets asked all the time if he is kid rock, he is that close . Seriously
well.........he LOOKS like him if rock was 20lbs bigger.
but this band? holy fuck this is bad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ra_yn9Bcda8

seriously
that sounds like it was ripped from a sound board. go find a better video. The dude and band is killer am I not a fan of tributes.... Go see them and then get back with me. The people go nuts over him. I played a show with him at the mercury in Louisville when he was starting out.. thee were 900 screaming fans there. He has gone on to do huge festivals and bike rallies too. He won best tribute last year..
seriously
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

keyofgee wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:21 am
Kid-Wicked wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:58 pm
keyofgee wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:46 am Tribute bands exist because people won’t give new music or new music from older bands they grew up on a chance for new stuff for the most part..
Anyway. Saying that, if you like Kid Rock go see Kid Kentucky. Don is basically Kid rocks clone. Looks, moves and sings? Just like him..he gets asked all the time if he is kid rock, he is that close . Seriously
well.........he LOOKS like him if rock was 20lbs bigger.
but this band? holy fuck this is bad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ra_yn9Bcda8

seriously
that sounds like it was ripped from a sound board. go find a better video. The dude and band is killer am I not a fan of tributes.... Go see them and then get back with me. The people go nuts over him. I played a show with him at the mercury in Louisville when he was starting out.. thee were 900 screaming fans there. He has gone on to do huge festivals and bike rallies too. He won best tribute last year..
seriously
the whole package sucks. sorry. hard pass. it's very amature. if that's the best tribute act in your area i'd hate to see the worst.
Wiseacre
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Wiseacre »

Spongie wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:50 am Aussie(and Brit) Pink Floyd are the high water mark for tribute bands. They’re next level.

These are the bands I think of whenever the topic of an official Kiss touring band without original members comes up. I believe it’s doable.
The thing about KISS tributes is that no one, and I mean NO ONE ever gets Paul right. Ever. It’s never happened and I’ve been seeing KISS tribs since the mid-‘90s. The voice is never quite right and the body language is never even close. Until thru get a guy flamboyant enough to loosen up or whatever it takes to do Paul’s schtick convincingly KISS tribute bands will never get out of clubs.

For as relatively simple as their music is, even the best never sound quite right. It’s always noticeably “off”. If bands can nail Queen and Zeppelin they should be able to do KISS. Strutter used to do a great job back in the ‘90s (Paul was still the weak link), but no one on YouTube these days sounds all that good. Not even the Dynasty one with the zillion dollar production. If you’re gonna do KISS right you need way more than makeup and expensive costumes.
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

Wiseacre wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:19 pm
Spongie wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:50 am Aussie(and Brit) Pink Floyd are the high water mark for tribute bands. They’re next level.

These are the bands I think of whenever the topic of an official Kiss touring band without original members comes up. I believe it’s doable.
The thing about KISS tributes is that no one, and I mean NO ONE ever gets Paul right. Ever. It’s never happened and I’ve been seeing KISS tribs since the mid-‘90s. The voice is never quite right and the body language is never even close. Until thru get a guy flamboyant enough to loosen up or whatever it takes to do Paul’s schtick convincingly KISS tribute bands will never get out of clubs.

For as relatively simple as their music is, even the best never sound quite right. It’s always noticeably “off”. If bands can nail Queen and Zeppelin they should be able to do KISS. Strutter used to do a great job back in the ‘90s (Paul was still the weak link), but no one on YouTube these days sounds all that good. Not even the Dynasty one with the zillion dollar production. If you’re gonna do KISS right you need way more than makeup and expensive costumes.
benny doro from black diamond and ssik did a damm near perfect paul.
Wiseacre
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Wiseacre »

Kid-Wicked wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:16 am

Based on all of the videos I’ve seen he looked OK, but did not have Paul’s moves or mannerisms down really and sounded absolutely nothing like him. I know of zero great Paul Stanley impersonators.
Spongie
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by Spongie »

I’m specifically thinking of an officially licensed KISS touring band. They could use older Paul tracks to dial in the vocals.
Danzig in the Dark
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Danzig in the Dark »

Spongie wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:52 am I’m specifically thinking of an officially licensed KISS touring band. They could use older Paul tracks to dial in the vocals.
A tribute to Kurrent KISS?
ImageImage
DrumminAway
Jamming in Parent's Basement

Post by DrumminAway »

Check out Almost Human, KISS tribute from Seattle. Their Paul nails it.

https://youtu.be/Ni57qP8PLX0?si=IIsO2B1MrXWNH9XN
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

Wiseacre wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:07 am

Based on all of the videos I’ve seen he looked OK, but did not have Paul’s moves or mannerisms down really and sounded absolutely nothing like him. I know of zero great Paul Stanley impersonators.
he does some pretty good prancing here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4hehSeGq0Y
sounds pretty good here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftPxQLt949E
Wiseacre
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Wiseacre »

DrumminAway wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:09 pm
Check out Almost Human, KISS tribute from Seattle. Their Paul nails it.

https://youtu.be/Ni57qP8PLX0?si=IIsO2B1MrXWNH9XN
:lol:
Wiseacre
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Wiseacre »

Kid-Wicked wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:22 pm
he does some pretty good prancing here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4hehSeGq0Y
sounds pretty good here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftPxQLt949E
He literally sounds nothing like Paul. I’m not saying he doesn’t look the part, but his voice is not even close. There was some tribute I saw many years ago in St. Louis that had a pretty old and really out of shape “Paul” who actually had the voice pretty close. I can’t remember which band it was. There were not from St. Louis though. Someone will probably know.
rubysdad
Having Slaughter Open for You

Post by rubysdad »

There was a band down here called Kisstroyer that were pretty good.

Saw Creedence Clearwater Recycled once, they were spot on.

Back in the late 80’s early 90’s very few of the ,teal bands came to Oz so tributes were all we had.
alexleehooker
Buying Cool Stage Clothes

Post by alexleehooker »

there is a realistic Paul Stanley impersonator who has been mentioned on these boards before.......Ramsey Cruise and ROXX