What'd you think when you first heard UNHOOOLAYYY

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Chip Z'Hoy
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

What'd you think when you first heard UNHOOOLAYYY

Post by Chip Z'Hoy »

I was like "Oh wow. Kiss is heavy now."

At that point a lot of bands were going in that direction--Motley, Priest, etc--so it wasn't all that jarring.

I though about buying the tape, even. Big deal.
LAglamrocker wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:56 pmClub was packed with Metal Edge fans 18-30..no stupid Rush Roll The Bones dipsh*ts
BDG135
Platinum Artist

Re: What'd you think when you first heard UNHOOOLAYYY

Post by BDG135 »

I thought it was great. Gene was saying on Headbanger's Ball that their last albums were Pop crap. I wasn't aware that Gene will say whatever to promote since I didn't grow up a big fan. I ended up trading the CD.
Not everybody is on MetalShit.com and Blabberface fuckin’ dot net! Who cares? There’s such a small amount of people that do that. - Blotz
Brainy Lane
Recording Debut Album

Re: What'd you think when you first heard UNHOOOLAYYYes

Post by Brainy Lane »

Thought it was cool
Bought the cd from Columbia house lol

Liked it enough to keep it
dmbrocker
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Post by dmbrocker »

I thought it was awesome and still do. Definitely heavier than the hair metal bandwagoning they had been putting out from LIU through HITS, but it's still distinctly KISS.
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
daveg
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by daveg »

Loved it. Didn't really care that it was "heavy". it was just a really good song
Psychobolia.com
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas
Location: Paris, France, land of sleaze and cheese, wine and whine

Post by Psychobolia.com »

I discovered Kiss albums in a pretty much random order.

First time I heard Unhooolayyy I thought "I dunno what all the fuss is about over there on Sludge, it's just a decent song, nothing more, nothing less..."

#MuchAdoAboutNothing
ParaDime77

Post by ParaDime77 »

I remember the exact day a buddy of mine and l, pretty sure we were sophomores in high school, bought a copy after gabbing a sub sandwich and going to my parents house to listen to it on their Bose stereo. I did not like Unholy at all. I didn’t like the new KISS image they were presenting, all dark and sinister. I was programmed to like flashy, mid to late 80’s KISS and in my mind, seeing the Shade tour come though ND 2 years prior, Revenge was a total about face turn to something trying way too hard.
Everyone Is Someone Else's Bitch
Chip Z'Hoy

Post by Chip Z'Hoy »

They looked hard as fuck in those leather dusters!
LAglamrocker wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:56 pmClub was packed with Metal Edge fans 18-30..no stupid Rush Roll The Bones dipsh*ts
SterileEyes1
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by SterileEyes1 »

I was 13, 1997 or so, and thought it was badass. Still do, honestly.
My Video Covers: https://www.youtube.com/@therealjeffstein/

"Diary Of A Madman"
"Aja"
"Atlas, Rise!"
“Sludge Factory”
"Locomotive"

My Original Music: https://jeffstein.bandcamp.com
WCiezak
Passing Out Band Flyers

Re: What'd you think when you first heard UNHOOOLAYYYes

Post by WCiezak »

Brainy Lane wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:35 am Thought it was cool
Bought the cd from Columbia house lol

Liked it enough to keep it
That was me too. Getting it from Columbia House around April 1993. Never heard Kiss before. I had gotten this History of Metal edition of Metal Edge I think it was and just started buying albums based on the pictures and write-ups in there. I was really blown away by Unholy. Never heard anything like it. At that point I mainly knew Metallica, Megadeth, Guns N Roses, Psycho City, Nirvana and the other big Grunge bands, Pyromania through Adrenalize, and Number Of The Beast.
TooOldToCare
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by TooOldToCare »

Chip Z'Hoy wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:52 pm They looked hard as fuck in those leather dusters!
Like Columbine school students.
DonJuanDeMarco
Headlining Clubs

Post by DonJuanDeMarco »

daveg wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:10 am Loved it. Didn't really care that it was "heavy". it was just a really good song
Same here.

Didn’t like the video but loved the guitar riff!

It’s a strong record. The songs fit well together. Love the production and overall vibe.
"You want Don Juan DeMarco, the world's greatest lover, to talk to you? What do you know of great love?"
Tenacious_Dio
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Tenacious_Dio »

I think I saw it first on Headbanger's Ball.

I hadn't bought a KISS album since "Lick it Up", but I went out and bought Revenge a couple of days later.

Turned out that the rest of the album was a bit of a letdown.
JamesHetfieldsAcneScars
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by JamesHetfieldsAcneScars »

I thought it was great and that they finally got their heads on straight and could possibly have a killer album after a string of duds. I was wrong. Turned out to be an album full of 80s kiss sounding rejects.
El Vampiro Blanco
Headlining Clubs

Post by El Vampiro Blanco »

JamesHetfieldsAcneScars wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:04 pm I thought it was great and that they finally got their heads on straight and could possibly have a killer album after a string of duds. I was wrong. Turned out to be an album full of 80s kiss sounding rejects.
Yeah, basically there was Unholy and then a shitload of songs by Paul who was still in Crazy Nights mode.
And the other Gene songs were just as average as his 80's output.
SchenkerFan
Headlining Clubs

Post by SchenkerFan »

I thought it was meh. It grew on me though.
HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

El Vampiro Blanco wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:26 am
JamesHetfieldsAcneScars wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:04 pm I thought it was great and that they finally got their heads on straight and could possibly have a killer album after a string of duds. I was wrong. Turned out to be an album full of 80s kiss sounding rejects.
Yeah, basically there was Unholy and then a shitload of songs by Paul who was still in Crazy Nights mode.
This.

All it took was a badass opening song and a bunch of photos of them in dusters to convince everyone they were tough and rocking. People still consider Revenge heavy and a "return to form", even though it isnt, and it's all filler, except Unholy.
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
Ryan81
Headlining Clubs

Post by Ryan81 »

I watched the Headbanger's Ball where they debuted it. I was impressed. I loved the breakdown before the solo! However, I was kind of distracted because in 5 days I was going to my first concert ever. It was Black album Metallica. I'd been waiting my whole life to go to a show and at 15 my parents finally let me.

Back to the topic. I was happy with the song and was impressed with Kiss at least saying that they were getting heavier. I've always appreciated bands that are commercially successful going heavier as it isn't the best move commercially. It shows that they don't care about numbers or the money man...they're in it for the music.
Darrien
Headlining Clubs

Post by Darrien »

HueyRamone wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:18 am
El Vampiro Blanco wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:26 am
This.

All it took was a badass opening song and a bunch of photos of them in dusters to convince everyone they were tough and rocking. People still consider Revenge heavy and a "return to form", even though it isnt, and it's all filler, except Unholy.

Yep. Unholy was badass, I remember taping the video; my friends and I sharing the VHS back and forth because we loved it so much. Then Revenge comes out and 'Take It Off' is track 2 and we are right back to shitty 80's KISS.
Dayman...fighter of the Nightman..
GreatWhiteSnake

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

Cartoon heavy...
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557
Wild Obsession
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Wild Obsession »

Bad ass!!!, and I really like the whole Revenge album (in my top 5 KISS albums). I fucking can't stand "Domino", but IMO, Gene's other songs on Revenge are a huge improvement over his 80's output (which I know still isn't saying much....). I would gone with "Take It Off" as the 2nd single (with a video full of hot chicks stripping), and then "Spit".
DonJuanDeMarco
Headlining Clubs

Post by DonJuanDeMarco »

Darrien wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:39 am Yep. Unholy was badass, I remember taping the video; my friends and I sharing the VHS back and forth because we loved it so much. Then Revenge comes out and 'Take It Off' is track 2 and we are right back to shitty 80's KISS.
I don't know... I think songs like Take it Off and Heart of Chrome ARE Paul being "heavy" and gritty compared to Turn on the Night and Let's Put the X in Sex!!!

The Carnival of Souls album showed that that was not his forte!
"You want Don Juan DeMarco, the world's greatest lover, to talk to you? What do you know of great love?"
Ozzy Stradlin
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Ozzy Stradlin »

I thought that they were trying too hard, as usual,
& that it sucked.
El Vampiro Blanco
Headlining Clubs

Post by El Vampiro Blanco »

DonJuanDeMarco wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:02 pm
Darrien wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:39 am Yep. Unholy was badass, I remember taping the video; my friends and I sharing the VHS back and forth because we loved it so much. Then Revenge comes out and 'Take It Off' is track 2 and we are right back to shitty 80's KISS.
I don't know... I think songs like Take it Off and Heart of Chrome ARE Paul being "heavy" and gritty compared to Turn on the Night and Let's Put the X in Sex!!!

The Carnival of Souls album showed that that was not his forte!
I think the last time Paul was heavy and gritty was on Lick it Up and that might have been mostly because of Vinnie Vincent....
Jason Jennifer Leigh
Headlining Clubs

Post by Jason Jennifer Leigh »

The Demon is back.
Z28
Headlining Clubs

Post by Z28 »

Jason Jennifer Leigh wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:55 pm The Demon is back.
Thought the same when I saw this on Hit Parader

pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

I liked it. At the time I was purchasing kiss albums frequently. This was around the year 2000. So it didn't stand out that much just due to the sheer quantity of new (for me) Kiss music I was listening to at the time.

Thought revenge was decent but uneven. One of their most overrated albums imo.

I think heart of chrome is an overlooked song. The best song on the album along with unholy.
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
Sleek

Post by Sleek »

I was all like: "Oh hey, that band that I thought was goofy when I was a child is trend-jumping again...I guess disco and hair metal must be done."
ROADHEAD wrote:I've never tasted coffee
HueyRamone wrote:I like Radio Gaga
HueyRamone wrote:QUIT FUCKING WITH MY SETLIST, ASSWIPE!

pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Sleek wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:35 pm I was all like: "Oh hey, that band that I thought was goofy when I was a child is trend-jumping again...I guess disco and hair metal must be done."
Was it one of the KISS songs you used to play in your band?
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
Sleek

Post by Sleek »

Which band???
ROADHEAD wrote:I've never tasted coffee
HueyRamone wrote:I like Radio Gaga
HueyRamone wrote:QUIT FUCKING WITH MY SETLIST, ASSWIPE!