Riki Rachtman *was* Headbangers Ball

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Chip Z'Hoy
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Riki Rachtman *was* Headbangers Ball

Post by Chip Z'Hoy »

Name a memorable pre- or post-Riki moment.

Other than GN'R trashing the studio, which most of us saw on clip shows, there aren't any!

Getting hassled by Danzig or Dave Mustaine, getting in hot water with Stone Pimple Toilets, interviewing a Speedo'd Jerry Cantrell... great HBB moments.
LAglamrocker wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:56 pmClub was packed with Metal Edge fans 18-30..no stupid Rush Roll The Bones dipsh*ts
Ryan81
Headlining Clubs

Re: Riki Rachtman *was* Headbangers Ball

Post by Ryan81 »

Trivia: I'm just going off of memory so it might (very well could be) wrong, but what was the first video Riki played upon hosting his first Headbanger's Ball?

Answer: nimoC gnihT rehtonA toG ev'uoY - tseirP saduJ

While no real memorable moments I remember a couple of bands coming in and hosting and doing a great job. Steve and one of the other guys from Kix (I cannot remember if it was "Damage" Forsythe or "10/10" Younkins) came in and hosted a great episode. It seemed like every video they played was good. I used to have my VCR ready before every video and if I recognized it was going to be a good one I'd hit record as fast as I could. I got a lot of good ones that night. It was also the first time I'd seen the Live Wire video.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

Can you honestly tell me you forgot? Forgot the magnetism of Adam Curry, or the charisma of Kevin Seal?
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
Chip Z'Hoy

Post by Chip Z'Hoy »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:22 pm Can you honestly tell me you forgot? Forgot the magnetism of Adam Curry, or the charisma of Kevin Seal?
I don't know that I ever saw Kevin Seal hosting but I definitely remember that Bovine Joni poser Adam Curry.
LAglamrocker wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:56 pmClub was packed with Metal Edge fans 18-30..no stupid Rush Roll The Bones dipsh*ts
Anthrax442
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Anthrax442 »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:22 pm Can you honestly tell me you forgot? Forgot the magnetism of Adam Curry, or the charisma of Kevin Seal?
I always liked Kevin Seal, but not for Headbanger's Ball.
MurrayFiend wrote:Shit, deathcurse, you sure know how to make an exit.
dmbrocker
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Post by dmbrocker »

Agreed. Adam and Kevin were great hosts even if they didn’t have any truly outrageous moments. Riki was great as well, but honestly maybe it’s just my opinion, but there was never a *bad* HBB episode or host during the show’s initial ‘87-‘95 run. Just me, I guess. And, yeah, Adam had his “poser” moments, but so did Riki. They all kinda did to a certain degree.
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Chip Z'Hoy wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:24 pm
I don't know that I ever saw Kevin Seal hosting but I definitely remember that Bovine Joni poser Adam Curry.
Kevin Seal wasn't there long IIRC, he was the bridge between Curry and Racthman.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
Zinny
Headlining Clubs

Post by Zinny »

He didn’t host the Headbanger’s Ball in Europe, Vanessa Warwick did, and the show was as big over here. It was all about the bands/music at the time. Might be good for you to know ”over there”. If it hadn’t been Riki, someone else would have been the host and presented the videos in MTV’s prime.
aznsquirt
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by aznsquirt »

Side note: Does anyone else remember being super disappointed when he left Loveline? I remember thinking the show was doomed.
dmbrocker
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Post by dmbrocker »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:33 pm
Kevin Seal wasn't there long IIRC, he was the bridge between Curry and Racthman.
Nah, Kevin was around for several episodes in late ‘87-early ‘88. Riki replaced Adam pretty much immediately at the beginning of 1990.
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
ParaDime77

Post by ParaDime77 »

Riki was the perfect host for the era. Not to much to overthink here.
Everyone Is Someone Else's Bitch
Rocker4Real
Recording Your Demo

Post by Rocker4Real »

If you didn't live near a music hub Rock radio was kinda shit. The only place to hear anything semi-obscure, or heavy, was on HB.
GreatWhiteSnake
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

I never saw an episode that didn't make me embarrassed to like the music. Same with The Metal Show. Awful amateur shitshows...
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557
Guitarmageddon_VI
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by Guitarmageddon_VI »

GreatWhiteSnake wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:54 pm I never saw an episode that didn't make me embarrassed to like the music. Same with The Metal Show. Awful amateur shitshows...
We didn't have much of an alternative back then. Rock mags, and HBB was all I had.
MickeyG
Doing 20 Questions with Metal Sludge

Post by MickeyG »

Zinny wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:49 pm He didn’t host the Headbanger’s Ball in Europe, Vanessa Warwick did, and the show was as big over here. It was all about the bands/music at the time. Might be good for you to know ”over there”. If it hadn’t been Riki, someone else would have been the host and presented the videos in MTV’s prime.
Kristiane Backer was the 1st Headbangers ball Europe presenter I remember. Preferred her to Warwick.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

dmbrocker wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:52 pm
Bono Nettencourt wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:33 pm

Nah, Kevin was around for several episodes in late ‘87-early ‘88. Riki replaced Adam pretty much immediately at the beginning of 1990.
Wow I can't believe that Rachtman didn't start til 1990... shit was already almost over.
Rocker4Real
Recording Your Demo

Post by Rocker4Real »

I think it was replaced by a show called SuperRock in '94.
SexxAtraxxion
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by SexxAtraxxion »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaE1ICcbPiY

Riki Rachtman cuts his long hair (1992)
My music library at last.fm:
https://www.last.fm/user/JonathanHalen
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Rocker4Real wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:18 pm I think it was replaced by a show called SuperRock in '94.
95. Did anyone even watch it?
DangerZone
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by DangerZone »

SexxAtraxxion wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:24 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaE1ICcbPiY

Rikki just posted an old photo of himself with long hair recalling how lots of people called him a sellout for cutting it.
He claims he just does what he feels…
Very strange mindset to still have at near 60.

Wasn’t he just following the trend, albeit a bit ahead of the curve?
SW
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by SW »

MickeyG wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:24 pm
Zinny wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:49 pm He didn’t host the Headbanger’s Ball in Europe, Vanessa Warwick did, and the show was as big over here. It was all about the bands/music at the time. Might be good for you to know ”over there”. If it hadn’t been Riki, someone else would have been the host and presented the videos in MTV’s prime.
Kristiane Backer was the 1st Headbangers ball Europe presenter I remember. Preferred her to Warwick.
And before her it was called MTV's Metal Hammer. Bailey brothers hosted it and they were good too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qhA0CC ... VHSBonanza
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

Backer was hotter and didn't focus so much on bands that were her friends... or had her husband in them.
If you just watched HBB Europe, you'd think The Almighty was on Guns/Mötley's level while in real life they were everyone's go-to opening band for a few years.
Hellsinkey

Post by Hellsinkey »

Love_Industry wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:25 am
Backer was hotter and didn't focus so much on bands that were her friends... or had her husband in them.
If you just watched HBB Europe, you'd think The Almighty was on Guns/Mötley's level while in real life they were everyone's go-to opening band for a few years.
Vanessa was boring. There were a few memorable occasions in MTV Europe though. I remember Stevie Blame calling the actor Judge Reinhold a "dope fiend" in an interview. Ray Cokes had a show on MTV and he had a road show somewhere in Germany and the audience started throwing stuff at him. He gave them the finger and told the audience to fuck off. His show was shortly cancelled. :lol:
HoldenSSV
Passing Out Band Flyers

Post by HoldenSSV »

I will always love Kevin Seal for absolutely taking the piss out of John Lydon. It went something like this:

He was interviewing him, and starts off by saying, "I'm here with Johnny Rotten . . ."
Lydon cuts him off and says, "It's Lydon."
Without missing a beat Seal says, "I'm here with Lydon Rotten. . ."

The look Lydon gave him was priceless.
"Copying off of one person is called plagiarism.
Copying off of ten people is called research."
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

Hellsinkey wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:41 am
Love_Industry wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:25 am

Vanessa was boring. There were a few memorable occasions in MTV Europe though. I remember Stevie Blame calling the actor Judge Reinhold a "dope fiend" in an interview. Ray Cokes had a show on MTV and he had a road show somewhere in Germany and the audience started throwing stuff at him. He gave them the finger and told the audience to fuck off. His show was shortly cancelled. :lol:
Vanessa interviewed a drunk Nicke from Backyard Babies on HBB when they resurfaced before Total 13 came out. They used to be long haired Guns/Skid Row/Hanoi wannabes and here he was with a spiky haircut and blurted out that "Punk rock is happening right now so we wanna be on top of it!"

Rarely has a band been so open about their trend jumping, so that's why I sometimes like to call that album "Total Sellout"
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

I recall him reading viewer mail from a Kiss fan asking if there was a video for "Everytime I Look at You" (which MTV never bothered to play).

Riki's response: "I don't know."

Thanks, genius.

I mean, you work at MTV. This show is on MTV. An intern couldn't get this question answered in two minutes? But you read the letter on the air anyway?

Worthless host. Worthless show by that point. Prong, Danzig, Jackyl, "Enter Sandman", repeat. Plus all the AIC video that were already in heavy rotation during the day.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
dmbrocker

Post by dmbrocker »

Mister Freeze wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:17 am I recall him reading viewer mail from a Kiss fan asking if there was a video for "Everytime I Look at You" (which MTV never bothered to play).

Thanks, genius.

I mean, you work at MTV. This show is on MTV. An intern couldn't get this question answered in two minutes? But you read the letter on the air anyway?

Worthless host. Worthless show by that point. Prong, Danzig, Jackyl, "Enter Sandman", repeat. Plus all the AIC video that were already in heavy rotation during the day.
Don’t forget Pantera, Slayer, John Bush-era Anthrax, and White Zombie! I’ve read some of the playlists from around that time, and there were also several deep cuts like I Mother Earth, Rob Halford’s post-JP band Fight, Quicksand, Exposed-era Vince, My Sister’s Machine, and a few others, so it wasn’t completely worthless by that point.
TravisBicklesMohawk
Headlining a Theater Tour

Post by TravisBicklesMohawk »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:06 pm
Rocker4Real wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:18 pm I think it was replaced by a show called SuperRock in '94.
95. Did anyone even watch it?
Yes.
The Tao of Pooh
Image Image
Ryan81
Headlining Clubs

Post by Ryan81 »

DangerZone wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:39 pm
SexxAtraxxion wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:24 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaE1ICcbPiY

Rikki just posted an old photo of himself with long hair recalling how lots of people called him a sellout for cutting it.
He claims he just does what he feels…
Very strange mindset to still have at near 60.

Wasn’t he just following the trend, albeit a bit ahead of the curve?
I remember Rachtman making fun of Traci Guns when he cut his hair for the Ballad Of Jayne video.
Chip Z'Hoy

Post by Chip Z'Hoy »

Mister Freeze wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:17 amI recall him reading viewer mail from a Kiss fan asking if there was a video for "Everytime I Look at You" (which MTV never bothered to play).

:lol:

We'll have to tell our grandchildren that back in the day, we couldn't type the name of a video into a YouTube search, or Google. We had to write Riki Rachtman a letter and hope that he read the letter on TV so we could get our answer.

Sometimes he didn't know. Not a perfect system.