This Bovine Joni doc is great!

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Rocker4Real
Pimping Your Demo At Shows

Re: This Bovine Joni doc is great!

Post by Rocker4Real »

A less successful songwriter would have just taken the flat payment and let the artist take the credit. Makes you wonder how often that happened.
DonJuanDeMarco
Headlining Clubs

Post by DonJuanDeMarco »

pieceofme wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:57 pm
DangerZone wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:27 pm
Bono Nettencourt wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:53 pm I liked Richies take that they broke out after VH fell apart. Never thought of it that way before, but it is kinda what happened.
VH?
Van Halen. The original line up
He was specifically talking about Jump and how it was a rock song with keyboards. It was a good point and right on the money timing wise.

Jon mentions Springsteen and Southside Johnny as key influences but obviously Runaway had something else going on. More like Survivor "Jackie Don't Go" or Eddie Money "Give a Little Bit" that had the same 8th note piano part with the big guitars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_ouz-FI6Hc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5wRE7MkdLo
"You want Don Juan DeMarco, the world's greatest lover, to talk to you? What do you know of great love?"
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

This album cover is about as '80s as it gets.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
BlueTurtle
Taking Music Lessons

Post by BlueTurtle »

Thought Jon or David mentioned that piano came from Billy Joel All For Leyna: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzE1-NlOthY
DonJuanDeMarco wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 6:12 am
pieceofme wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:57 pm
DangerZone wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:27 pm

VH?
Van Halen. The original line up
He was specifically talking about Jump and how it was a rock song with keyboards. It was a good point and right on the money timing wise.

Jon mentions Springsteen and Southside Johnny as key influences but obviously Runaway had something else going on. More like Survivor "Jackie Don't Go" or Eddie Money "Give a Little Bit" that had the same 8th note piano part with the big guitars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_ouz-FI6Hc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5wRE7MkdLo
DonJuanDeMarco
Headlining Clubs

Post by DonJuanDeMarco »

I watched all 4 parts on 4 different days.

Parts 1-3 were great and reminded me of why there were my favorite band growing up.

Watching part 4 by itself yesterday was grueling. Not only has the music gone downhill but hearing him talk about the sidemen like they were integral parts of the band was annoying. These people are there for nothing more than to fill up the sound.

As for his voice... I was HOPING he was going to say "Sorry people but I'm so fucking deaf that I can't hear myself and had no idea how bad it sounded". Instead they show him with the doctors and trainers and I swear to God it's the vocal exercises that are making him sound so bad! Listen to him doing the wide, vowel vocal exercises. He's applying that into his actual singing now.

Anyway....I'm really just talking about part 4. The What About Now and post-Richie years. It was very obvious what Richie brought to him as a guitar player, singer, collaborator and performer on stage. It is truly not as good without Richie. It's as simple as that. And obviously Richie needs Jon too! It's a 2 way street.

I'm not looking forward to the new record. More of Jon's talk-singing autotune voice and more of John Shanks rudimentary 8th note guitar playing covered in echo. And don't forget the "woah oh oh's" in the beginning of every song that remind me of Yanni or some self help chant.

The big question now is... is it too late? Does it even matter? He's still gonna sell out arenas and maybe even stadiums even with his voice shot, grey hair and by the numbers backup band.
"You want Don Juan DeMarco, the world's greatest lover, to talk to you? What do you know of great love?"
Engine13
Headlining Clubs

Post by Engine13 »

Same here on episode 4. Got to his virtue signaling and self fellatio and turned it off. Unwatchable. He really should trade his mic for a fishing pole at this point, and there's nothing wrong with that at 62.

The whole series just emphasized how key Sambora was to that band. The two of them had something special and it ended when they separated.
Michael Hotts Ghost
Doing 10 Questions with Metal Sludge

Post by Michael Hotts Ghost »

Sounds like I am fortunate being able to say I have no idea who Johnny Shanks is. I like Phil X but no clue about the other guy. Just not tuned in enough to later Jovi eras.

Did Jovi admit to trying to sync for those couple of shows or whatever it was?
ParaDime77
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by ParaDime77 »

Michael Hotts Ghost wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 8:48 pm Sounds like I am fortunate being able to say I have no idea who Johnny Shanks is. I like Phil X but no clue about the other guy. Just not tuned in enough to later Jovi eras.

Did Jovi admit to trying to sync for those couple of shows or whatever it was?
Jon should have kept his mouth shut, ran the tacks and brought Richie back. This is what fan’s are all clamoring for anyway, play the damn hits and let’s party. The mom rock, down tuned stuff Jon released is unlistenable junk. Nobody wants Shanks, Phil or the extra percussion guy in the band. If it’s not the original 4 plus Hugh, park the whole operation permanently.
Everyone Is Someone Else's Bitch
Darrien
Headlining Clubs

Post by Darrien »

I find it refreshing to know that while we are all shitting on the 2022 clips, Jon was also aware of his voice failing him behind the scenes. All the vocal coaching, weird laser machines, throat massages etc. even with his wife commenting backstage that one of the last show's 'wasn't great'. I give him credit for wanting to put on a great show but admitting that age has just caught up to him.
Having said all that, he should just stop performing.
Did the surgery he had done actually help him in any way? or is that yet to be seen?
Dayman...fighter of the Nightman..
Jason Jennifer Leigh
Headlining Clubs

Post by Jason Jennifer Leigh »

Everyone says it has helped but really it’s yet to be seen.

He did “Legendary” live on MusicCares or whatever but I couldn’t hear a difference.