My Half-Assed Scorpions Review

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Blumpkin King
Headlining Clubs

My Half-Assed Scorpions Review

Post by Blumpkin King »

Buddy that lives in Las Vegas called me up and said they dropped the prices on Scorpions tix, so I made the last minute trip out to Las Vegas from Los Angeles yesterday. Got a pit ticket for $80+fees on Ticketmaster. Drive took about 3:45 and was not bad at all. Got into Las Vegas around 2:30 PM and decided to check out the Kiss museum @ The Rio. The Rio flat out is a dump. Not sure what I expected. The Kiss Museum was $12. I spent about an hour in there looking at everything. I wish there were not 4 cases dedicated to the Kiss/Hello Kitty collaboration. It was cool to see and the price was right. Left the Rio and checked into the hotel (MGM Grand) and then met my buddy for dinner before the show.

Had never been to the Planet Hollywood venue (Bakkt Theater) before. It was nice. As I was walking arriving so was Tommy Thayer. He looked goofier in person without the make-up than with Ace's make-up. He was nice and said hello to people that approached. As I walked into the venue I checked out the merch and honestly it was pretty lame. The shirts sucked. Did seem like they kept the prices down as shirts were $40 and hoodie was $60. Got down to the floor right as Ugly Kid Joe started. I always thought they were pretty terrible and really did not like them live (I had seen them open for a couple of shows back in early 90's). For the 45 minutes they played last night they were good. The lead singer basically admitted that they were shocked that they were opening for the Scorpions. The lead singer was pretty entertaining, especially when he would walk up to the tape on the ego ramp that he was not allowed past. Both guitarists wore shorts and had matching socks that looked like diabetic socks. The band was energetic and very engaging with the audience. Crowd response was very positive. I'm not sure I would go see them headline, but I was pleasantly surprised by Ugly Kidd Joe.

Scorpions took the stage at 9:10. Started out with the slow opening of Coming Home with just Klaus and then when the song kicked in the entire band came out. The seats that they had open seemed packed. They did have the entire top section curtained off. Klaus did not move a lot. He mentioned that he had back issues and it showed. He did move around the stage and played guitar during Coast to Coast, so not quite a Jack Russell situation. Klaus sounded great. I had read a couple of things where people thought he might have tracks helping him, but I saw no real evidence of that (but I am not expert on the matter). Rudy was all over the place and the guy is in tremendous physical shape. When he put on the Blackout look it brought me back to 1984 when I first saw Scorpions. Matthias Jabs was fantastic. He played, looked, and sounded great. Love watching him do the talk box during The Zoo. I was a little shocked to see some other guy come on stage and Rudy leave during Matthias' Delicate Dance, but after watching a couple of youtube videos that seems to be normal. I was just wondering "Who the fuck is this guy?" Mickey Dee is a great fit. His drum solo was great with the accompanying video. I don't have any idea who the Bass player was, but he seemed fine and was not relegated to stand in the back. He was right up front with crowd. The way the theater is set up there is a curved front row of seats almost the same lever as the band. It was weird seeing hot women really dressed up having bottle service and begging for a guitar pick. Scorpions played for about an hour and 45. I loved it. I didn't hear one negative thing as I was walking out. Love At First Sting is a great album and was really happy to see almost all of it played (no As Soon As The Good Times Roll which was strange). I would say don't miss this one, but they only have one more show so you're probably going to miss it.
pieceofme
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Re: My Half-Assed Scorpions Review

Post by pieceofme »

Good review. You should post more concert reviews
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
cowpins
Platinum Artist

Post by cowpins »

So what's the deal with some other guy coming onto the stage?
"bus problems come on man so boring we have our bus its awesome and we r watching judge judy on it right now tour is going great 14 more shows to go see you out there rockin peeps not you garbageman you stay home" - HueyRamone, 7/3/12
AlexVonHaig
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by AlexVonHaig »

So you and Jingles are not one in the same?
Nate S Axel

Post by Nate S Axel »

Good review!

Just add what the singers were wearing, what you had to eat, and how it went the next day shopping at the mall, and it might come close to HMZ quality.
https://forums.metalsludge.tv/forums/vi ... 4#p7009274
https://www.last.fm/user/SundownDevil
LAglamrocker wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:45 am I can’t believe people actually don’t live in So Cal/ San Diego/Vegas circle ..waste of life
Blumpkin King
Headlining Clubs

Post by Blumpkin King »

Nate S Axel wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 7:49 am Good review!

Just add what the singers were wearing, what you had to eat, and how it went the next day shopping at the mall, and it might come close to HMZ quality.
https://forums.metalsludge.tv/forums/vi ... 4#p7009274
One of my favorite reviews ever.
skinni

Post by skinni »

Great review! Thanks!
Black Stuff
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by Black Stuff »

Excellent review!