Foo Fighters vs. Red Hot Chili Peppers

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

RHCP vs. Foo Fighters

RHCP
55%
Foo Fighters
45%

Total votes: 38
pieceofme
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Foo Fighters vs. Red Hot Chili Peppers

Post by pieceofme »

Not two of the most popular bands on sludge. But definitely two of the biggest rock bands from the 90s until today. But which one do you prefer?

Going for RHCP. A bit more about them. And I did enjoy Californication quite a bit when it was first released. Some good songs from the 80s as well.

Foo Fighters are just so bland. At most I can tolerate and appreciate a handful of songs. And that is being generous.

I'd imagine this could be a difficult choice for sterile eyes.
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
Chip Z'Hoy
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Re: Foo Fighters vs. Red Hot Chili Peppers

Post by Chip Z'Hoy »

The Chilis for sure. I put them with Metallica where I loved them as a kid so I'll always check out whatever they put out.

Also, Flea is the band. Flea is great.

I don't remember the last Foo Fighters album I listened to start to finish. I think it was Sonic Highways. Aside from the first album and the acoustic one, all their albums sound identical to me. If I was a huge fan, maybe I could tell the difference...
LAglamrocker wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:56 pmClub was packed with Metal Edge fans 18-30..no stupid Rush Roll The Bones dipsh*ts
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

Chip Z'Hoy wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 6:52 pm The Chilis for sure. I put them with Metallica where I loved them as a kid so I'll always check out whatever they put out.

Also, Flea is the band. Flea is great.

I don't remember the last Foo Fighters album I listened to start to finish. I think it was Sonic Highways. Aside from the first album and the acoustic one, all their albums sound identical to me.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
Aerosmith87
Opening Act in Arenas

Post by Aerosmith87 »

These were two bands that when I was growing up they were cool. 20 years removed from that - I still like a handful of RHCP songs and a few Foo Fighters songs. I think I can fill up a single CD of RHCP tracks that I'd like to hear, so I'm going with them. I like Monkey Wrench, Everlong, maybe a couple other Foo Fighters songs, but I find it hard to believe that they're as popular as they are.
GoodJudge
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by GoodJudge »

Funk metal sucked from start to finish, except the first two Living Colour albums and (from the few songs I heard) Fishbone. If I never hear RHCP again it'll be too soon.
DangerZone
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by DangerZone »

mosquitos or flies
Ziggy Sawdust
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by Ziggy Sawdust »

I hate them both. Chili Peppers were a one album wonder for me, but at least BSSM was a great album, hard to believe is
the same band that churns out all the crap vagina music since.
Hell'sHungryChild wrote:
I have no desire to pay $150 to see an ant sized Ac/Dc and drink $12 beer cups.
dmbrocker
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Post by dmbrocker »

Both good solid bands, IMO, but the Chilis get the slight nod here because BSSM is just a classic.
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
whiteowl yesterday

Post by whiteowl yesterday »

foo fighters.
"artist formerly known as midnighttoker"
jens

Post by jens »

FF are much easier to ignore, Peppers suck so bad it hurts.
GreatWhiteSnake
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

RHCP every time. At least there's something interesting happening whether you like it or not. FF the epitome of random ass, middle of the road, average, ordinary, everyday mediocre music...
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557
SterileEyes1
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by SterileEyes1 »

pieceofme wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 6:07 pm

I feel baited! :lol:

First of all, shameless plug: https://youtu.be/CR9Bhy70NdY?si=gd86M_lJ7NFxR77C

But, actually, no, not really a difficult choice. RHCP by a mile in terms of the “better band” - not a close call in terms of who has the more original sound, who has irreplaceable chemistry between band members, more iconic albums, etc.

If we’re talking who’s the live band that gives a shit about their fans, plays a decent set length, and doesn’t skip their hits, then Foo Fighters. RHCP wins everything else for me.
My Video Covers: https://www.youtube.com/@therealjeffstein/

"Diary Of A Madman"
"Aja"
"Atlas, Rise!"
“Sludge Factory”
"Locomotive"

My Original Music: https://jeffstein.bandcamp.com
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

SterileEyes1 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 10:19 am

But, actually, no, not really a difficult choice. RHCP by a mile in terms of the “better band” - not a close call in terms of who has the more original sound, who has irreplaceable chemistry between band members, more iconic albums, etc.

If we’re talking who’s the live band that gives a shit about their fans, plays a decent set length, and doesn’t skip their hits, then Foo Fighters. RHCP wins everything else for me.
If I was going to bet, I would have you choosing RHCP. I just know you like foo fighters as well. Liking both bands is quite rare here 😆
Last edited by pieceofme on Fri May 03, 2024 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
CrankerBait
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by CrankerBait »

I voted for the Foo Fighters, but I like both bands. I don't really like RHCP releases outside of John Frusciante's first two stints with the band, while Foo Fighter lineup changes over the years haven't had the same effect on their albums.
SterileEyes1
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by SterileEyes1 »

pieceofme wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 10:23 am
SterileEyes1 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 10:19 am

If I was going to bet, I would have you chosen RHCP. I just know you like foo fighters as well. Liking both bands is quite rare here 😆

Fair! Probably not many other millennials here. I will always insist that I both get the “Foo Fighters are generic and bland” argument and that they have some extremely good songs buried deep in their catalog and have been one of the better live bands out there for a long time now.
My Video Covers: https://www.youtube.com/@therealjeffstein/

"Diary Of A Madman"
"Aja"
"Atlas, Rise!"
“Sludge Factory”
"Locomotive"

My Original Music: https://jeffstein.bandcamp.com
Mojo
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Mojo »

jens wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 5:09 am FF are much easier to ignore, Peppers suck so bad it hurts.
Pretty much how I see it, too. I can stomach a Foo Fighters compilation way easier than I can a Chili Peppers one.
Rooster wrote: I hunt with a handgun.
pieceofme wrote: Yeah, Mojo is a lot of peoples favourite!
keyofgee wrote: I am a free thinker
Image Image
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Aerosmith87 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:27 pm These were two bands that when I was growing up they were cool. 20 years removed from that - I still like a handful of RHCP songs and a few Foo Fighters songs. I think I can fill up a single CD of RHCP tracks that I'd like to hear, so I'm going with them. I like Monkey Wrench, Everlong, maybe a couple other Foo Fighters songs, but I find it hard to believe that they're as popular as they are.
We must be of a similar age. First couple of years of uni everyone was listening to by the way, and most of the guys were wearing that stupid foo fighters one by one jumper. I remember listening to one by one to see what the fuss was about and it was a painful experience. What an utter chore it was to get through that album.

Aerosmith87
Opening Act in Arenas

Post by Aerosmith87 »

pieceofme wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 4:07 pm
Aerosmith87 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:27 pm These were two bands that when I was growing up they were cool. 20 years removed from that - I still like a handful of RHCP songs and a few Foo Fighters songs. I think I can fill up a single CD of RHCP tracks that I'd like to hear, so I'm going with them. I like Monkey Wrench, Everlong, maybe a couple other Foo Fighters songs, but I find it hard to believe that they're as popular as they are.
We must be of a similar age. First couple of years of uni everyone was listening to by the way, and most of the guys were wearing that stupid foo fighters one by one jumper. I remember listening to one by one to see what the fuss was about and it was a painful experience. What an utter chore it was to get through that album.
Maybe! I was born on the month of Appetite for Destruction - so maybe a few years younger than you if my idiot Friday night math is right. I think RHCP has the leg up because they had a rare "two CDs per household" album, which for me, was Calfornication. What I mean by that is I had 2 brothers, one older by two year and one younger by two years. My parents would buy us albums from time to time and we'd either have our own tastes or we'd share. Californiacation was a rare "I'll buy one for you and one for your brother" album - so 2 in the same household. I remember when By the Way came out, I kinda liked it, but I'd traded my RHCP CDs for Back in Black with my friend. He was way more mature than I was, but I'd like to think I came out with the better deal. 20+ years later, I'm good :D
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Yeah I was born in 83. Most of my RHCP exposure came from my younger brother born in 89. He loved them, but then got into faith no more and Mike Patton and never looked back.

Yeah, you definitely got the better of that back in black/by the way exchange!

Psychobolia.com
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas
Location: Paris, France, land of sleaze and cheese, wine and whine

Post by Psychobolia.com »

RHCP by a million fleas.

Can't stand FF, they're bland as the OP says. As for RHCP, I wasn't a fan back when I lived in California cuz they were always on the radio, now I dig them cuz I don't listen to radio anymore and they remind me of my fun California days. And the music's great, lots of great songs. I love watching the Live at Sloane Castle video that's up on YouTube, epic shit.
NeonKnite
Your Cock, My Mouth

Post by NeonKnite »

RHCP by a mile.

Foo Fighters are generic, lowest common denominator stuff. Not as far off from Nickelback as most people think.
Spongie
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by Spongie »

Quite possibly the two worst bands in the world. Over the years I’ve had the terrible misfortune of being dragged to see both headline, 2x each. Abysmal.

Today I’s sooner go to a drag queen book reading.