Sam Ash Music is shutting down

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Traxan
Headlining Clubs

Sam Ash Music is shutting down

Post by Traxan »

Man I thought this place would be all over this news.

https://www.msn.com/en-nz/entertainment ... r-AA1o6M9J

It's with a "heavy heart" that Sam Ash is closing its retail doors after 100 years of providing musical instruments to artists new and experienced. The brand made the announcement on Thursday (May 2) on Instagram and their website stating closing deals would begin that day both in-store and online.
SHOP SAM ASH CLOSING DEALS HERE

The family-run business has been considered an icon in the music industry, as a go-to store for top-rated instruments and accessories, ranging from guitar amps to drumsticks. No matter if you were an aspiring musician or just taking casual online music lessons, the instrument store was a place to pick up everything you could possibly need to kickstart your music journey.

Sam Ash was originally founded in 1924 by Austrian migrant Sam Ashkynase, a violinist who took his passion for music and turned it into a business to support other music enthusiasts. The retailer was well-known not only for its selection of products but for establishing a motto of "come in and play" to encourage anyone to create test out the products and create some music in-store.
LAglamrocker
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Re: Sam Ash Music is shutting down

Post by LAglamrocker »

That’s great- I’ve never wanted to go that place
They should replace them with surf shops and Baskin Robbins(2 places I went today)
Jani Lane and Bret Michaels should form a band called "Nelson II"
Rocker4Real
Pimping Your Demo At Shows

Post by Rocker4Real »

Is Gutiar Center/Musician's Friend next?
gtrjay
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by gtrjay »

Wow
I’m completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. These two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.
George Carlin - Modern Philosopher
inextrem
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by inextrem »

They need more Roxx gigs there
FreddyFender
Headlining Clubs

Post by FreddyFender »

Long time coming.... they've been a second-rate guitar center for 20 years.
Ozzy Stradlin
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Ozzy Stradlin »

Rocker4Real wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 6:52 pm Is Gutiar Center/Musician's Friend next?
Probably, at least least in terms of physical retail stores.

They might be able to make it work online for awhile.
Nate S Axel

Post by Nate S Axel »

We have AI now. Nobody needs instruments anymore.
https://www.last.fm/user/SundownDevil
LAglamrocker wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:45 am I can’t believe people actually don’t live in So Cal/ San Diego/Vegas circle ..waste of life
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

FreddyFender wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 11:06 pm Long time coming.... they've been a second-rate guitar center for 20 years.
Facts.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
Wild Obsession
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Wild Obsession »

Any time I have been in a guitar store over the last decade (maybe even the last 20 years) seems like all the customers are middle age guys. IMO, there is not the interest in live music like there used to be. Back in the day, half my friends had a beginner guitar set up or drum kit, even though most of them never took to music.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Also facts.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
GreatWhiteSnake
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

Never bought anything from Sam Ash or GC. Just my local shops and occasionally Sweetwater...
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557
Collapser
Wannabe Rocker

Post by Collapser »

Sam Ash took had acquired Mars Music here in Indy 20+ years ago. SA started off strong, but puttered out shortly after. Goodbye.
TREVERLAST

Post by TREVERLAST »

My local Sam Ash closed down years ago. I usually just got accessories there. Doesn't effect me, but sad to see anything close down. Young people just aren't into guitars and drums like they used to . When I was in Jr High and High School 85-91. All my friends had instruments. Now days kids just want to play video games & watch Tik Tok. They don't even want to learn how to drive or go outside.
DonJuanDeMarco
Headlining Clubs

Post by DonJuanDeMarco »

Guys…it’s not about getting old or lack of interest in live music and instruments.

Retail is down. The internet has been killing it since the internet started. Catalogs, door to door salesmen, late night infomercials and now physical stores.

Plus real estate keeps getting more and more expensive. The one two punch is hurting everyone.
"You want Don Juan DeMarco, the world's greatest lover, to talk to you? What do you know of great love?"
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

DonJuanDeMarco wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 10:44 am Guys…it’s not about getting old or lack of interest in live music and instruments.
Actually, it is. Sales have been trending downward for years.
DonJuanDeMarco
Headlining Clubs

Post by DonJuanDeMarco »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 10:52 am
DonJuanDeMarco wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 10:44 am Guys…it’s not about getting old or lack of interest in live music and instruments.
Actually, it is. Sales have been trending downward for years.
I’m trying to make us old guys feel better. Please play along.
"You want Don Juan DeMarco, the world's greatest lover, to talk to you? What do you know of great love?"
GreatWhiteSnake
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

It's actually both of course...
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557
TooOldToCare
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by TooOldToCare »

When playing out with a severe case of G.A.S., I used to frequent Ash and GC weekly. I never bought a guit from there, but a couple of amps, fx, and a ton of accessories, cables, lights, etc. I haven't been in either for 12 years. Since I stopped playing live, I hardly buy anything but strings these days.
killdrum
Opening for Slaughter

Post by killdrum »

I always figured GC would fold considering their mgmnt and finances(Not that I would like to see that). They still manage to plug along.
Indy_Rob
Headlining a Theater Tour

Post by Indy_Rob »

Collapser wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 10:05 am Sam Ash took had acquired Mars Music here in Indy 20+ years ago. SA started off strong, but puttered out shortly after. Goodbye.
Where are you in Indy?

I totally forgot about Mars Music until I read your post.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

killdrum wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 7:08 am I always figured GC would fold considering their mgmnt and finances(Not that I would like to see that). They still manage to plug along.
Yeah they started limping years ago but they're still here.
WolfgangVonPage
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by WolfgangVonPage »

TREVERLAST wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 10:18 am All my friends had instruments. Now days kids just want to play video games & watch Tik Tok. They don't even want to learn how to drive or go outside.
This is my 17 year old son to a T. I have all the gear in the world and he took guitar in school as one of his electives, but is just not interested.
Got myself a Cadillac, but can't afford the gasoline.
HueyRamone
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by HueyRamone »

WolfgangVonPage wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 10:08 am
TREVERLAST wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 10:18 am All my friends had instruments. Now days kids just want to play video games & watch Tik Tok. They don't even want to learn how to drive or go outside.
This is my 17 year old son to a T. I have all the gear in the world and he took guitar in school as one of his electives, but is just not interested.
Fuckin kids.

I remember when I wanted some records, but I first had to save up for a record player, as my parents didnt have one.
To say knowing nothing about playing music.

To think that as a kid, to have a dad or older brother with a bunch of guitars and amps, plus could show you how to play stuff. Shit, i might have turned out able to play decent.

And kids who have that dont even care about it.
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?