Did Gene Simmons or Paul Stanley ever successfully make someone's career?

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

TravisBicklesMohawk
Headlining a Theater Tour

Re: Did Gene Simmons or Paul Stanley ever successfully make someone's career?

Post by TravisBicklesMohawk »

GoodJudge wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 1:23 am
DangerZone wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 2:01 pm He may have given Wendy Williams a bump?
I see what you did there.

But Wendy was and is still known for the Plasmatics, not for It's My Life or anything else on that album.
He just wanted to bang her. And trying to make her into a rocker chick just didn't work either.

I always got the feeling she hated the entire ordeal, as Richie Stotts has said she was heartbroken and pissed when Gene fired him.
The Tao of Pooh
Image Image
Love_Industry
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Love_Industry »

TooOldToCare wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 3:08 am Paul jump-started his renowned career, but it wasn't Paul's doing. Desmond co-wrote (or probably mostly wrote) the song. It was his own doing.
But Desmond did not write most of IWMFLY. Paul had an idea about a song inspired by what was played at Studio 54 with a pulsating beat and lyrics about immediate pleasure and put together an idea called "Tonight" with Child. The chorus and title came together at SIR Studios with Vini Poncia kicking it off by adding a Four Tops type chorus to the verses of Tonight. Then him and Paul developed it to what we know with Gene also there, but no Child.

This from one of the Partners in Crime books and the authors interviewed both Poncia and Child and listened to tapes from SIR to get the story right.

They also mention that Paul in 79 thought Peter's Dirty Livin' should be the starting point for the direction of their new album and that Peter is on record saying he loves disco and that disco is here to stay so he made his own disco song.
TooOldToCare
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by TooOldToCare »

Love_Industry wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 6:47 am
TooOldToCare wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 3:08 am Paul jump-started his renowned career, but it wasn't Paul's doing. Desmond co-wrote (or probably mostly wrote) the song. It was his own doing.
But Desmond did not write most of IWMFLY. Paul had an idea about a song inspired by what was played at Studio 54 with a pulsating beat and lyrics about immediate pleasure and put together an idea called "Tonight" with Child. The chorus and title came together at SIR Studios with Vini Poncia kicking it off by adding a Four Tops type chorus to the verses of Tonight. Then him and Paul developed it to what we know with Gene also there, but no Child.

This from one of the Partners in Crime books and the authors interviewed both Poncia and Child and listened to tapes from SIR to get the story right.

They also mention that Paul in 79 thought Peter's Dirty Livin' should be the starting point for the direction of their new album and that Peter is on record saying he loves disco and that disco is here to stay so he made his own disco song.
I stand corrected with more KISS details than any human being should know.
Sleek
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by Sleek »

BernieTaupson wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 12:02 am
risingfarce wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 12:00 am RIAA gold (500,000 million in the U.S.).
From the hit album: KISS: Half-a-Million Platinum, for which they shipped 500,000,000,000 copies but only sold 40.
ROADHEAD wrote:I've never tasted coffee
HueyRamone wrote:I like Radio Gaga
HueyRamone wrote:QUIT FUCKING WITH MY SETLIST, ASSWIPE!

windycitycane
Slept with Donna Anderson

Post by windycitycane »

rockker wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 3:44 pm Desmond Child?
Excellent answer! I was Made for Lovin You. Yes, Paul gave Jon Bon Jovi his number. The rest is history.
BernieTaupson
Headlining Clubs

Post by BernieTaupson »

Love_Industry wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 6:47 am
Best song on the album.
risingfarce
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by risingfarce »

TooOldToCare wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 3:08 am The answer is no one.

Gene's version of discovering VH has been debunked down to maybe recording a demo, and that's it. Desmond took off because a disco-rock song took off. Indirectly, Paul jump-started his renowned career, but it wasn't Paul's doing. Desmond co-wrote (or probably mostly wrote) the song. It was his own doing.

I remember Gene going on and on about that Bag dude. WTAF? That was shit.

Very little non-KISS business was successful including people they worked with or who worked for them.
Gene used his own money to fly the band to NYC, record the demo (his time and his money), and purchased stage clothes for DLR. He had a contract with the band and tore it up. He spent time and money and didn't get anything in return. Although, he did get a thank you on the back cover of the first VH lp. EVH remained friends with Paul and Gene. EVH and AVH went into the studio with Gene to record three songs Gene was working on for KISS and his solo lp. So, there's nothing to be "debunked".

BTW, Desmond didn't come into the situation with "I Was Made For Loving You". Paul and he worked on it together. Afterwards, Paul and Vini Poncia worked on it. The chorus was written by Paul and Vini.

Your answer is incorrect. Paul and Gene did help other bands, who themselves became successful. Desmond Child was the most successful person who had worked with KISS. He actually sold more singles combined than any of the artists/acts he had worked with.

The majority of bands who opened for KISS have good things to say about the band, particularly Paul and Gene, and are/were thankful for them bringing them out on tour and in some cases giving them their first big break.
kanister
Headlining Clubs

Post by kanister »

No, Gene had like a reverse Midas touch.

He did artistically great job with House of Lords, who I felt were like improved version of the pop metal era Whitesnake. I wonder if they had achieved what they served with some other record company and management. The debut is an excellent album to this day.
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

risingfarce wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 7:44 pm
BTW, Desmond didn't come into the situation with "I Was Made For Loving You". Paul and he worked on it together. Afterwards, Paul and Vini Poncia worked on it. The chorus was written by Paul and Vini.
Desmond came into the situation because Paul wanted to pork his girlfriend Maria Vidal who also sang in his band. Without her in the picture, Paul wouldn't have given Desmond or his no-hope disco rock band a second thought.
Stinky McFister
Recording Debut Album

Post by Stinky McFister »

Love_Industry wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 7:55 am
Desmond came into the situation because Paul wanted to pork his girlfriend Maria Vidal who also sang in his band. Without her in the picture, Paul wouldn't have given Desmond or his no-hope disco rock band a second thought.
I thought Desmond Child was gay and that was what attracted Paul
CanadianMetal
Opening for Slaughter

Post by CanadianMetal »

DORO - He produced her first solo album and was the main reason I even bought it .

I met and spoke her around 2005 and she said that of all the producers she had over the decades , she learned the most from Gene .

When I took a photo with her after our meeting she asked to see it and and after looking said we can do better and had me give the camera to my friend to take another . She was right the next photo was way better . I never had never heard of a big star wanting to see a photo before and make you retake a photo.

She was amazing in concert and it was almost impossible to get photo of her standing still as she was always in motion the whole concert with her super high energy. She gained way more respect from me after that day .
POUNDING THE WORLD LIKE A BATTERING RAM !!!
BernieTaupson
Headlining Clubs

Post by BernieTaupson »

The one Gene produced was her second album. Had a cover of Only You from the Elder. With coffee boy Thayer on the guitar.

I think it sold Double Cardboard.
risingfarce
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by risingfarce »

Paul liked DC & Rouge. Desmond was in a relationship with Vidal. Paul dated one of the other two women in the band. Paul and Desmond wrote "The Fight" for DC & Rouge. Then Paul and Desmond worked on "IWMFLY". The two of them remained friends and later worked together on some KISS songs and much later on some songs on "Live To Win". Paul wrote the Foreword for Desmond's book.
risingfarce
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by risingfarce »

Stinky McFister wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 3:47 pm
Desmond is gay.

Paul is not gay.
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

risingfarce wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 1:08 am

Desmond is gay.

Paul is not gay.
Desmond didn't know he was gay at the time. He was in a relationship with Vidal and had "experimented" with dudes ala Ace or Peter. Unlike them, he later accepted that he was gay and eventually came out.
I still think Paul wanted to bone Vidal and not one of the other girls in DC& Rouge, but feel free to prove me, Alex Bergdahl and Carl Linnaeus wrong if you know more. No detail is too insignificant in Kisstory :)
AlexVonHaig
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by AlexVonHaig »

Does anyone think that Chaim or Stanley ever had any interest in helping anyone besides themselves. That's just crazy talk
mrspeedgene
Headlining Clubs

Post by mrspeedgene »

Peter Criss, ACE Frehley
They laughed at their gods
And fought them in vain
So he turned his
back on them
And left them in pain
gtrjay

Post by gtrjay »

risingfarce wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 12:17 am
BernieTaupson wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 11:55 pm
risingfarce wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 11:36 pm Desmond Child has stated that he owes his cold sore to Paul.
I'm sure you got your cold sore from Desmond.

I'm also sure you're the type to pass it around.
Hey question.
What are you going to do now that KISS is retired ?
You have to be the biggest ball washer of KIsS here and are beyond P13 level of Poison. :lol:

Did you cry on their last show?
I’m completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. These two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.
George Carlin - Modern Philosopher
SW
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by SW »

CanadianMetal wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 6:17 pm DORO - He produced her first solo album and was the main reason I even bought it .
One might think Doro's career peaked way before her SECOND solo album with Gene and MELONHEAD as producers.
BernieTaupson
Headlining Clubs

Post by BernieTaupson »

risingfarce wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 1:08 am Desmond is gay.

Paul is not gay.

AlexVonHaig

Post by AlexVonHaig »

I am not gay for Desmond

I am gay for Paul
fify
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

SW wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 3:53 am
CanadianMetal wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 6:17 pm DORO - He produced her first solo album and was the main reason I even bought it .
One might think Doro's career peaked way before her SECOND solo album with Gene and MELONHEAD as producers.
It certainly didn't peak with her first, it was a bit of a bomb and that's probably why Mercury called in $immon$.
Warlock? Maybe, but opening for Dio and Priest is as far as they got.
Ozzy Stradlin

Post by Ozzy Stradlin »

Zinny wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 9:21 pm Paul turning down the opportunity to produce ”Appetite For Destruction” might have saved Guns ’N’ Roses!
From what I understand, it’s a stretch to say that Paul “turned down” GnR.
Ozzy Stradlin

Post by Ozzy Stradlin »

All of those multi-platinum Keel, Black n’ Blue, Gypsy Rose, House of Lords, EZO, Wendy O Williams, & Silent Rage albums speak for themselves. :D
Fat_Elvis
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Fat_Elvis »

Paul was at the Viper Room last night to watch Amber Wild, and I don't know if he's trying to help with that band or not but they definitely need some help.
Stinky McFister
Recording Debut Album

Post by Stinky McFister »

I met and spoke her around 2005 and she said that of all the producers she had over the decades , she learned the most from Gene .

When I took a photo with her after our meeting she asked to see it and and after looking said we can do better and had me give the camera to my friend to take another . She was right the next photo was way better . I never had never heard of a big star wanting to see a photo before and make you retake a photo.

She was amazing in concert and it was almost impossible to get photo of her standing still as she was always in motion the whole concert with her super high energy. She gained way more respect from me after that day .
Cool story
BernieTaupson
Headlining Clubs

Post by BernieTaupson »

Fat_Elvis wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 10:12 am Paul was at the Viper Room last night to watch Amber Wild, and I don't know if he's trying to help with that band or not but they definitely need some help.
Lost cause. Bunch of 35 year old guys pretending to be 17. It’s so odd.
risingfarce
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by risingfarce »

Love_Industry wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 1:28 am
Desmond is gay.

Paul is not gay.
Desmond didn't know he was gay at the time. He was in a relationship with Vidal and had "experimented" with dudes ala Ace or Peter. Unlike them, he later accepted that he was gay and eventually came out.
I still think Paul wanted to bone Vidal and not one of the other girls in DC& Rouge, but feel free to prove me, Alex Bergdahl and Carl Linnaeus wrong if you know more. No detail is too insignificant in Kisstory :)
It's in Paul's book:

https://youtu.be/lUiUwRocfRA?t=1035

Paul was interested in one of the other two women. He doesn't mention in his book which one.
risingfarce
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by risingfarce »

mrspeedgene wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 3:31 am Peter Criss, ACE Frehley
In 1973 and in 1996.
risingfarce
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by risingfarce »

gtrjay wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 3:35 am
risingfarce wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 12:17 am
BernieTaupson wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 11:55 pm
I'm sure you got your cold sore from Desmond.

I'm also sure you're the type to pass it around.
Hey question.
What are you going to do now that KISS is retired ?
You have to be the biggest ball washer of KIsS here and are beyond P13 level of Poison. :lol:

Did you cry on their last show?
Listen to all of the other bands that i like.

With Paul's deteriorated voice it was time for KISS to stop touring. I didn't like that he was lip-synching for the majority of the show, but it was understandable. He only did that on one tour and it was the last one.

I said goodbye at my last show, thankful for all of the great music and concerts that I attended.

You can have a discussion or you can be your usual cunt self. Grow the fuck up.