Cheating Donkey Kong player sues Youtuber

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

BernieTaupson
Headlining Clubs

Cheating Donkey Kong player sues Youtuber

Post by BernieTaupson »

Tommy2Tone84 wrote: I used to worship these clowns.
Anthrax442
Cockblocked by Poison

Re: Cheating Donkey Kong player sues Youtuber

Post by Anthrax442 »

Whether you like Billy or not, he is THAT GUY. I've seen him at a few conventions, and he comes off the same in person as he does in videos. I've got to respect someone who's still committed to the long hair and the American Flag suits in 2024.

Also, I question the "evidence" that he cheated. They said that based on frames, he was playing DK on an emulator, instead of on an official cabinet. Okay...so? Games from 40 years ago have been emulated with 99.999% accuracy for years. Who cares if ONE FRAME is different occasionally?
MurrayFiend wrote:Shit, deathcurse, you sure know how to make an exit.
BernieTaupson
Headlining Clubs

Post by BernieTaupson »

That’s not the point, the point is he bullshitted about it and sent in fake PCB boards saying that was what he played on etc. Why bullshit and obfuscate if his videos of the playthroughs were legit?
Tommy2Tone84 wrote: I used to worship these clowns.
tooth
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by tooth »

Anthrax442 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:00 am Whether you like Billy or not, he is THAT GUY. I've seen him at a few conventions, and he comes off the same in person as he does in videos. I've got to respect someone who's still committed to the long hair and the American Flag suits in 2024.

Also, I question the "evidence" that he cheated. They said that based on frames, he was playing DK on an emulator, instead of on an official cabinet. Okay...so? Games from 40 years ago have been emulated with 99.999% accuracy for years. Who cares if ONE FRAME is different occasionally?
Who cares?! Billy aka THAT GUY cares, as well as his fans of which I'm one. Playing DK, or any classic era arcade game, on a MAME emulator is not the same as the official cabinet. Especially if we're talking official world records & whatnot.
What type of conventions have you seen him at? Video gaming, restaurant/food service? I think he still owns Rickey's of Hollywood Florida, the restaurant & the hot sauce brand.
Anthrax442
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Anthrax442 »

tooth wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:53 am
Anthrax442 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:00 am Whether you like Billy or not, he is THAT GUY. I've seen him at a few conventions, and he comes off the same in person as he does in videos. I've got to respect someone who's still committed to the long hair and the American Flag suits in 2024.

Who cares?! Billy aka THAT GUY cares, as well as his fans of which I'm one. Playing DK, or any classic era arcade game, on a MAME emulator is not the same as the official cabinet. Especially if we're talking official world records & whatnot.
What type of conventions have you seen him at? Video gaming, restaurant/food service? I think he still owns Rickey's of Hollywood Florida, the restaurant & the hot sauce brand.
I've seen him at the Midwest Gaming Classic up in Milwaukee, and I think he showed up to Pinball Expo in Chicago as well.
aznsquirt
Headlining Clubs

Post by aznsquirt »

Because using an emulator someone can slow things down to a crawl and play with perfect accuracy.
HoldenSSV
Recording Your Demo

Post by HoldenSSV »

As someone who has played MAME for decades and has a dedicated Robotron cabinet in his basement, I have been following all this closer than I should.

Billy is a very good video game player across multiple titles. There is proof out there that he wasn't even the first to the Pac Man killscreen though.

As far as MAME goes, you can also pause a game in the middle to take a piss or grab some food. I'm not sure if the newer MAME recordings pick that up or not. The older versions didn't always catch it.

Today's DK players have consistently whooped his ass in DK competitions, and his best score is nowhere near the top.

He also had Walter Day in his back pocket for a while, and bigger douchebag cheaters like Todd Rogers vouching for him. The suicide of Ben Smith ("Apollo Legend") was sickening.
"Copying off of one person is called plagiarism.
Copying off of ten people is called research."
Anthrax442
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Anthrax442 »

HoldenSSV wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:21 am As someone who has played MAME for decades and has a dedicated Robotron cabinet in his basement, I have been following all this closer than I should.

Billy is a very good video game player across multiple titles. There is proof out there that he wasn't even the first to the Pac Man killscreen though.

As far as MAME goes, you can also pause a game in the middle to take a piss or grab some food. I'm not sure if the newer MAME recordings pick that up or not. The older versions didn't always catch it.

Today's DK players have consistently whooped his ass in DK competitions, and his best score is nowhere near the top.

He also had Walter Day in his back pocket for a while, and bigger douchebag cheaters like Todd Rogers vouching for him. The suicide of Ben Smith ("Apollo Legend") was sickening.
Believe me, I'm very aware of being able to "pause" emulators, or even do TAS runs that achieve perfect results. However, AFAIK, Billy recorded him playing the game and getting to the high score. Like, with a video camera. That's where my confusion lies.

Now, if that's not the case, and there's only partial footage that could have covered up him making a mistake and reloading a save state, then that's another thing entirely. My point is, if he beats it on MAME or beats the arcade cabinet, and there's video documenting the playthrough, then it doesn't matter if he used MAME or an original cabinet, because for all intents and purposes they're the same damn thing.
Ol' Dirty Bastard
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by Ol' Dirty Bastard »

Karl Jobst is gonna wipe the floor with Billy, fuck him
LIVE N' UNCUT

HoldenSSV
Recording Your Demo

Post by HoldenSSV »

Anthrax442 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2024 12:35 pmBelieve me, I'm very aware of being able to "pause" emulators, or even do TAS runs that achieve perfect results. However, AFAIK, Billy recorded him playing the game and getting to the high score. Like, with a video camera. That's where my confusion lies.

Now, if that's not the case, and there's only partial footage that could have covered up him making a mistake and reloading a save state, then that's another thing entirely. My point is, if he beats it on MAME or beats the arcade cabinet, and there's video documenting the playthrough, then it doesn't matter if he used MAME or an original cabinet, because for all intents and purposes they're the same damn thing.
I think that's the point - there is no "absolute" proof, like it was shot over his shoulder with a shaky VHS camcorder. (One of the original conspiracies was that it was actually someone else's game.) The issue is (if I remember correctly) that on the girder boards, the way the graphics load is unique to MAME vs. the way it looks if it was an arcade machine.

If it was MAME, yes, he actually got the score. However, he claimed it was on original hardware in a cabinet, which makes him a liar. I also think that at the time, the MAME high score was better.
"Copying off of one person is called plagiarism.
Copying off of ten people is called research."