Killeverything's (New)NeverEndingBaseballThread

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

tin00can
Headlining Clubs

Re: Killeverything's (New)NeverEndingBaseballThread

Post by tin00can »

JakeYonkel wrote:
Facedown wrote:Indians sign Pavano.
Amazing that anybody would waste any more money on that spineless sack of shit.

God, I hope he has a great season and destroys the Yankees whenever he pitches against them.
JakeYonkel
Headlining Clubs

Post by JakeYonkel »

tin00can wrote:
JakeYonkel wrote:
Facedown wrote:Indians sign Pavano.
Amazing that anybody would waste any more money on that spineless sack of shit.

God, I hope he has a great season and destroys the Yankees whenever he pitches against them.
You know that would actually involve Carla being on the mound, so I wouldn't count on it.

I would think he pitches really well for their AAA team and maybe makes 4-5 starts at the ML level. The irony is that even when he is healthy, he's really not even that great.

Of course maybe "only" making a base salary of $1.5M will light a fire under his ass. I still think he'll tear his cervix rolling out of bed or something.
tin00can
Headlining Clubs

Post by tin00can »

JakeYonkel wrote:
You know that would actually involve Carla being on the mound, so I wouldn't count on it.

I would think he pitches really well for their AAA team and maybe makes 4-5 starts at the ML level. The irony is that even when he is healthy, he's really not even that great.

Of course maybe "only" making a base salary of $1.5M will light a fire under his ass. I still think he'll tear his cervix rolling out of bed or something.

Still, it would be funny if he did only pitch in five games and two of them were wins against the Yankees. If he did that, I'd get his baseball card.
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

killeverything wrote:The MFY are looking to move Nady and Swisher.

Both Nick Swisher and Xavier Nady are drawing significant interest in trade talks, according to FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal.
Neither figures to bring a whole lot in return with guys like Garret Anderson, Ken Griffey Jr. and Jim Edmonds still out there as one-year possibilies. Still, the relative youth of Swisher and Nady could make them more attractive to some teams. It doesn't appear that the Yankees are prepared to keep both and play either Johnny Damon or Swisher in center field.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/player ... 577&spln=1

I see Swisher as being difficult to move since he's still owed 20m. Plus he has the plate patience that the MFY covet. It brings it up interestingly to me. Who is the OF? Matsui, Swisher, Traitor, Melky, Nady, Gardner? I think maybe Cashman got Swisher out of a disbelief of thinking they could aquire Teix.

I have a hard time understanding how many Type-A Free Agents a team can sign in a season. If they can sign more than 3, who wouldn't be surprised to see them go after Manny? Arod whines for him, they have a roster full of basically bunch of Scott Boras's in a jersey. It would fit, for anyone who needed a reason post 2004 to still hate them.

Let's get the fucking season started already!
This story is very interesting. I just can't imagine the Yankees trading Nady because he makes approx $3 million a year. Which is very cheap as far as the Yankees are concerned.

Damon-LF
Melky, Gardner or Swisher-CF
Nady-RF

Matsui is strictly a DH in '09. He would play the outfield only in the most desperate circumstance.

I ask, why trade Swish or Nady?
killeverything
A Drinking Fan With A Baseball Problem

Post by killeverything »

Machado wrote:
killeverything wrote:The MFY are looking to move Nady and Swisher.

Both Nick Swisher and Xavier Nady are drawing significant interest in trade talks, according to FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal.
Neither figures to bring a whole lot in return with guys like Garret Anderson, Ken Griffey Jr. and Jim Edmonds still out there as one-year possibilies. Still, the relative youth of Swisher and Nady could make them more attractive to some teams. It doesn't appear that the Yankees are prepared to keep both and play either Johnny Damon or Swisher in center field.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/player ... 577&spln=1

I see Swisher as being difficult to move since he's still owed 20m. Plus he has the plate patience that the MFY covet. It brings it up interestingly to me. Who is the OF? Matsui, Swisher, Traitor, Melky, Nady, Gardner? I think maybe Cashman got Swisher out of a disbelief of thinking they could aquire Teix.

I have a hard time understanding how many Type-A Free Agents a team can sign in a season. If they can sign more than 3, who wouldn't be surprised to see them go after Manny? Arod whines for him, they have a roster full of basically bunch of Scott Boras's in a jersey. It would fit, for anyone who needed a reason post 2004 to still hate them.

Let's get the fucking season started already!
This story is very interesting. I just can't imagine the Yankees trading Nady because he makes approx $3 million a year. Which is very cheap as far as the Yankees are concerned.

Damon-LF
Melky, Gardner or Swisher-CF
Nady-RF

Matsui is strictly a DH in '09. He would play the outfield only in the most desperate circumstance.

I ask, why trade Swish or Nady?
It says they're "drawing interest" from other clubs. Maybe it is to make my nightmare come true and sign Manny. I think it's possibly a fallout from the Teix signing.

The more I read about it, it seems Boras really did all he could do to fuck Boston. I believe that Teix's wife prefered NY, but Boras has reportably not been telling his players in negotiation that Boston upped their offer. Traitor said "he didn't hear that Boston upped their original offer to him". What is said is Boras was pissed he had no leverage in the Matsuzaka or Vtek dealings. Apparently this pissed him off ( hence "Manny Gate" ). As of right now it's all speculation though. They could all still really be the best of friends. I'm just trying to wrap my head around Swisher.

I thought that was a brilliant pickup. The guy had an off season last year. One. Being that Guillen hates to have his hitters "wait for their pitch", I think it fucked him. I expect him to bounce back nicely. Especially playing in NY. While the OF 'D' of the proposed logjam they have out there now, strikes fear in no one. I would keep Swisher.

I got a funny idea reading Hardball Times this morning. How many days on the DL do you think will be the difference between Carl Pavano and Kerry Wood?

Pavano: 64DL

Wood: 2DL

That's surprising to me with both of those signings thinking about it. I always thought of Shapiro as a savvy GM. :?
JakeYonkel
Headlining Clubs

Post by JakeYonkel »

Why trade Swisher or Nady?

You're not playing Swisher in CF. Not going to happen.

You trade Nady BECAUSE he's making $3M a year. He's the only OF with any trade value that can bring back something serviceable.

And you trade one of them because that's way too many outfielders. A team needs 4, 5 at most. Not 6.
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

JakeYonkel wrote:Why trade Swisher or Nady?

You're not playing Swisher in CF. Not going to happen.

You trade Nady BECAUSE he's making $3M a year. He's the only OF with any trade value that can bring back something serviceable.

And you trade one of them because that's way too many outfielders. A team needs 4, 5 at most. Not 6.
Please list the 6 OF's the Yankees currently have?

If you add Matsui to that list, it's a mistake. He is destined to play DH full-time in '09.
JakeYonkel
Headlining Clubs

Post by JakeYonkel »

Damon - relegated to LF
Matsui - DHing
Nady - RF or LF
Swisher - RF or LF + 1B
Cabrera - CF
Gardner - CF

Very little positional flexibility. Keep Swish. Trade Nady. Matsui DHs every day. Keep one of Cabrera or Gardner, the other guy to the minors. Let Angel Berroa and Cody Ransom battle it out for the backup 2B-SS-3B gig since Swisher plays 1B. Unless of course trading Nady brings in a starting CF, this is the team.
killeverything

Post by killeverything »

JakeYonkel wrote:Damon - relegated to LF
Matsui - DHing
Nady - RF or LF
Swisher - RF or LF + 1B
Cabrera - CF
Gardner - CF

Very little positional flexibility. Keep Swish. Trade Nady. Matsui DHs every day. Keep one of Cabrera or Gardner, the other guy to the minors. Let Angel Berroa and Cody Ransom battle it out for the backup 2B-SS-3B gig since Swisher plays 1B. Unless of course trading Nady brings in a starting CF, this is the team.
Jake are you confident with that OF defense? I mean in Swisher, Cabrera and Gardner? I wouldn't advocate trading Swisher at all. It's been mentioned in earlier pages, he comes off as a Scott Broscious type. Defensively though the OF seems to be lacking. Traitor when healthy will be fine in LF, I just think he's the only one that's not barely League Average.
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

killeverything wrote:
JakeYonkel wrote:Damon - relegated to LF
Matsui - DHing
Nady - RF or LF
Swisher - RF or LF + 1B
Cabrera - CF
Gardner - CF

Jake are you confident with that OF defense? I mean in Swisher, Cabrera and Gardner? I wouldn't advocate trading Swisher at all. It's been mentioned in earlier pages, he comes off as a Scott Broscious type. Defensively though the OF seems to be lacking. Traitor when healthy will be fine in LF, I just think he's the only one that's not barely League Average.
Jake-C'mon now, do you really think the Yankees will break spring training with that many outfielders? No.
Melky or Gardner makes the team, not both of them. So that makes the list 1 less.

Like I said, the outfield will look like this:
Damon-LF
Melky or Gardner-CF
Nady-RF

Swisher can be a late inning replacement for Damon in LF. In a pinch or if injuries mount up, he can play CF as well. Of course he can play RF, but I see Nady playing there 162 games.

Swisher can not be traded. He can play 4 positions. That is the type of bench player we need.
JakeYonkel
Headlining Clubs

Post by JakeYonkel »

I never advocated trading Swisher. I want him to start in RF this year. Trade Nady! He's making no money and is VALUABLE. He can bring a return in a starting CF or pitcher or something. He has tons of value.

Kill, I'm not crazy about the D but I think it'll be league average. Melky or Gardner are both plus CFers - the bats are suspect. Gardner covers more ground and you know Melky's got a cannon for an arm.

Damon, while a below-average CF, plays a great LF. No problem there.

Nady's a crappy OF. Swisher is a very good corner OF. Either one of them is an upgrade on Bobby Abreu.

I'll take it.
tin00can
Headlining Clubs

Post by tin00can »

JakeYonkel wrote:I never advocated trading Swisher. I want him to start in RF this year. Trade Nady! He's making no money and is VALUABLE. He can bring a return in a starting CF or pitcher or something. He has tons of value.

Kill, I'm not crazy about the D but I think it'll be league average. Melky or Gardner are both plus CFers - the bats are suspect. Gardner covers more ground and you know Melky's got a cannon for an arm.

Damon, while a below-average CF, plays a great LF. No problem there.

Nady's a crappy OF. Swisher is a very good corner OF. Either one of them is an upgrade on Bobby Abreu.

I'll take it.

If your problem is you have too many OF, why would you trade Nady for a CF?
JakeYonkel
Headlining Clubs

Post by JakeYonkel »

Presumably Nady would be packaged WITH Cabrera or something. Either way if they brought in somebody like Mike Cameron (not that I'm a fan, but he's established) Cabrera and Gardner both would be in AAA and Damon would be acceptable as a backup CF.
nycyankee
Recording Debut Album

Post by nycyankee »

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/r ... _take.html

Could Peter Gammon's be further up the Red Sox ass?? What a pathetic old man. :D
killeverything

Post by killeverything »

nycyankee wrote:http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/r ... _take.html

Could Peter Gammon's be further up the Red Sox ass?? What a pathetic old man. :D
Gammo's a Boston guy :? always has been. He picks the MFY as the favorites in the AL East though. Olney's a NY guy.....I bet they fight like little girls sometimes. :D

I'm still thinking Tampa is the team to beat in the East. We'll see with a better look at David Price in ST, and a prolonged look at their BP being able to repeat what they did last season.
tin00can
Headlining Clubs

Post by tin00can »

nycyankee wrote:http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/r ... _take.html

Dude, everybody knows Gammo is a Sox homer. For some reason, I like him regardless. He usually manages to be straightforward.
killeverything

Post by killeverything »

It's finally official. HGHiambi is back with the A's.

1/4m with a 6.5m option for 2010, and 1.25 buyout in year two. Not a bad deal at all for Oakland. If Jason can stay at 128OPS+ for that price? Dayum. Maybe we'll see the "Scruffy Biker HGHiambi" return. It seem like Oakland is loading up to make a playoff run. Anaheim losing some guys, Seattle losing some guys, Texas is Texas. Seems like possible favorites to win the West.

Their 3-4-5 of Cust, Holliday, and Giambi makes that line-up a hell of a lot better than last season. If Chavez can stay healthy and Ellis has a rebound year. The youngsters of Suzuki, Sweeny and Buck can even it all out. Maybe Beane has an SP surprise for everyone this season.

Or maybe he read 'Baseball Prospectus: Why Doesn't Billy Beane's Shit Work In The Playoffs' dilligently :lol: , and is taking it to heart. I would like to see the A's return to the top again. Fuck, those "Money Ball" years were fun.
Facedown
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by Facedown »

ESPN Report:
John Smoltz on the verge of signing contract with Red Sox.
bonedog wrote:I let Facedown get the better of me
bonedog wrote:My first kid will be born when I am 47.
bonedog wrote:I suck at sludging.
killeverything

Post by killeverything »

Facedown wrote:ESPN Report:
John Smoltz on the verge of signing contract with Red Sox.
Sounds like it's pretty much done.

John Smoltz's days with the Braves are over. The veteran hurler could sign with the Red Sox as early as Thursday afternoon.

A Major League source who was in contact with Smoltz on Wednesday night said the 41-year-old right-hander will be calling the Braves on Thursday morning to tell them that he has decided to sign with the Red Sox..

Smoltz, who had been with the Braves since making his Major League debut in 1988, will make a guaranteed $5.5 million. The source said his offer also includes "very attainable" incentives that could raise his 2009 earnings to $10 million.

http://hotstove.mlblogs.com/archives/20 ... ith_r.html

The "fan" in me hates seeing him leave Atlanta. The FAN in me loves this for the FO. They're obviously shoring up the SP staff. With Smoltz he can come out of the BP too. This is a lot like Colon last year, who refused to pitch in relief, which is unfortunate because he could've been used.

Shore up on low risk/high reward contracts. Penny? Check. Smoltz? Check. Pavano? Are you high?

Fun fact. Brad Penny used to date Eliza Dushku and Alyssa Milano. That makes him one of...it not the most badass Red Sox player in history. :lol:
nycyankee
Recording Debut Album

Post by nycyankee »

I know Peter Gammons is a Red Sox homer/lover. But the guy is part of the national media and shouldn't be acting like a bitter old cheerleader.That was really classy of him to take a cheap shot at a player's wife. Whining like a bitch because the Red Sox were punked by a player. "how dare someone not bow down and kiss the Red Sox feet". The guy is a joke.

P.S Red Sox also signed Baldelli.
nycyankee
Recording Debut Album

Post by nycyankee »

Olney is no New York guy. He used to cover the Yankees but he is a Red Sox fan. He is another ESPN idiot who was complaining about the Teixiera signing.
killeverything

Post by killeverything »

people just need to stop with this Teix shit.

He's a really good player. One that will make any team better. He wanted a lot of money, he hired Scott Boras. He wanted to play in NY, his wife wants to live in NY. Scott Boras got him a lot of money to play for NY.

Boston would've been outbid regardless. NY spends money. It's always been that way, it will always be that way. I wish they would just shut up and talk about something else for a change. Premier Free Agent and Scott Boras. How did you expect this one to turn out?

I thought the Baldelli signing wasn't being announced until tommorrow night's Award Ceremony. I like the idea. A OF who can play all three positions. If he can stay with his treatments for fatigue, he's basically a 5 tool player. With Drew, Ortiz and Lowell's injury risks, and Ellsbury's inconsistency ( *cough* being over-rated ), It's a nice addition off the bench. Especially if he learns a little plate discipline....his only negative in the batter's box.

The details haven't been announced yet, but I hear it's a one year. I bet he plays his ass for his upcoming FA next season.
nycyankee
Recording Debut Album

Post by nycyankee »

I have always liked Baldelli. He's a player I always thought would make a good Yankee. So much for that. :lol:
killeverything

Post by killeverything »

Baldelli's a good teammate type. A "dirtdog" in a sense. I'm thrilled about his aquisition.

Now the Smoltz news doesn't surprise me. The FO have been talking about it for a while now. With the addition of Penny/Smoltz, with the BP that makes the 1-12 damn good.

Or does it? This leads me to believe this super pitching depth is in preparation of something. Wakefield has said he'll retire if he feels his shoulder is weak. So is it that? Or is Buchholz ( who's names been thrown around quite a bit in trade scenarios ) going for a catcher? He seems to have fallen out of favor with the FO a little bit ( ala Craig Hansan ). Or is Beckett going to be a future TJ canidate? His shoulder is where the concern with his health lied when Hoyer made the trade.

I think this could be more than just:
Beckett
Dice
Lester
Wakefield
Smoltz/Penny

Pappelbon
Ramirez
Oki
Masterson
MDC
Lopez/Littleton

That 12 looks good, but I think were going to hear news about one of the starters coming up not being there this season. :?

PS it's times like this that makes me wish Schilling was still around. The new MFY 1st baseman is 1-12 against him. 8)
JakeYonkel
Headlining Clubs

Post by JakeYonkel »

Couple things.

I love Baldelli and it pains me to see him go to the Scum Sox. Not that I really wanted him to sign with the Yankees because he's always hurt, but I just like watching him play when he's healthy.

I think Smoltz is a big question mark signing but you can't kill Boston for it. Obviously if he's healthy he's a huge asset, unfortunately he's coming off serious shoulder surgery and he's like 47, so... you gotta think Atlanta REALLY must have stiffed him too, because no way did I think he'd ever leave there. Although for a guy who's spent 20 years with one team and made a boatload of money it's pretty sad to think he'd be leaving ATL over them not guaranteeing him enough.

Finally, let Gammons piss and moan all he wants about Teixeira. The worst thing that came out of that whole fiasco was John Henry crying AGAIN about the Yankees' spending. Dude, shut the fuck up. What a fag.
Facedown
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by Facedown »

Baldelli signs for 1 year.
Smoltz reaches preliminary agreement.
Trevor Hoffman headed to Brewers 1yr/6mil.
bonedog wrote:I let Facedown get the better of me
bonedog wrote:My first kid will be born when I am 47.
bonedog wrote:I suck at sludging.
killeverything

Post by killeverything »

JakeYonkel wrote:Couple things.

I love Baldelli and it pains me to see him go to the Scum Sox. Not that I really wanted him to sign with the Yankees because he's always hurt, but I just like watching him play when he's healthy.

I think Smoltz is a big question mark signing but you can't kill Boston for it. Obviously if he's healthy he's a huge asset, unfortunately he's coming off serious shoulder surgery and he's like 47, so... you gotta think Atlanta REALLY must have stiffed him too, because no way did I think he'd ever leave there. Although for a guy who's spent 20 years with one team and made a boatload of money it's pretty sad to think he'd be leaving ATL over them not guaranteeing him enough.

Finally, let Gammons piss and moan all he wants about Teixeira. The worst thing that came out of that whole fiasco was John Henry crying AGAIN about the Yankees' spending. Dude, shut the fuck up. What a fag.
I think it sucks that Smoltz could/would leave Atlanta. The fanboy in me knows what it's like ( Clemens, Boggs ).

I like the Baldelli and Smoltz signings though. Low risk, potential high return. It could pay dividends. What is really fucking funny if you think about it though. Is if the MFY signed Smoltz and Baldelli to low risk contracts, this is hypthetical with a no CC, Teix, etc. We would be laughing our asses off at it. Along the lines of "sign the Ghost Of John Smoltz" or "Hey, since Pavano's gone, Baldelli can be on your DL." :lol:

:?

Wait.
nycyankee
Recording Debut Album

Post by nycyankee »

http://mfile.akamai.com/24715/wmv/yes.d ... es_800.wmv

Look at the reaction in Teixiera's face as he tours the new Yankee Stadium. It's the kind of reaction a kid has when he goes to Disneyland/world for the 1st time. :lol:
JakeYonkel
Headlining Clubs

Post by JakeYonkel »

Carl Pavano quoted talking to Cleveland reporters:

"When you're down, you expect your organization to pick you up, not kick you when you're down," Pavano said. "I've had to pick myself up quite a few times the last four years."

------------

Man, I wish the Indians were going to train in Winter Haven again this year so I could scream at this jerkoff. I bet he was really crying in his Wheaties while that $40M rolled in for doing nothing.
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

JakeYonkel wrote:Carl Pavano quoted talking to Cleveland reporters:

"When you're down, you expect your organization to pick you up, not kick you when you're down," Pavano said. "I've had to pick myself up quite a few times the last four years."

------------

Man, I wish the Indians were going to train in Winter Haven again this year so I could scream at this jerkoff. I bet he was really crying in his Wheaties while that $40M rolled in for doing nothing.

Is this guy for real? Yes Carl, you did have to pick yourself up off the ground after you strained your buttocks, after you crashed your fucking car, after your arm fell off after pitching a gem vs the twins.

I can not wait for pavano to toe the rubber vs the Yankees in '09.
I don't care who pitches for us that day. Just want at least 1 crack at this guy.
Knowing him, the pussy will pull a stunt that will force his team to scratch him for the start.