The New (Spam Free) Never Ending Wrestling Thread

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

ozzyrulz777
On Wings of Lead

Re: The New (Spam Free) Never Ending Wrestling Thread

Post by ozzyrulz777 »

I WANT ESPN CLASSIC SO BAD!
Sabu
Taking Music Lessons

Post by Sabu »

Subhuman Yeti wrote:RAW is Snore.

Holy fuck was that bad.

Not as stupid as TNA, but just as bad.
Probably going to be like this next couple of weeks. Throwaway shows for a throwaway PPV. Although as far as throwaway PPVs go, NWO should be pretty entertaining with the EC matches and Shane bumping like a madman for Orton.

Still... the next couple weeks of RAW will be slow leads for Mania.

And I haven't watched a lot of WWECW lately, but let me just say... Mathews and Striker are pretty damn good. Striker especially is fucking awesome! Hopefully they get promoted to RAW one day. I've always thought Mathews was a bit underrated, but he's really coming into his own and is great for some occasional one liners. The two of them work awesome together.
znuff_fan
Showcasing for A&R Reps

Post by znuff_fan »

I set the DVR one night for that UWF shit. Never made that mistake again. I agree it was boring as hell, don't think I even watched 5 minutes of it, just fast forwarded it to see if anybody I wanted to see was on it.
ozzyrulz777
On Wings of Lead

Post by ozzyrulz777 »

I really hate Miz and Morrison. Morrison especially. Miz was better by himself. I wish that team would break up.
slash4pres
Showcasing for A&R Reps

Post by slash4pres »

ozzyrulz777 wrote:I really hate Miz and Morrison. Morrison especially. Miz was better by himself. I wish that team would break up.
John Morrison is the furture of the business!
ozzyrulz777
On Wings of Lead

Post by ozzyrulz777 »

slash4pres wrote:
ozzyrulz777 wrote:I really hate Miz and Morrison. Morrison especially. Miz was better by himself. I wish that team would break up.
No he is not.
Drunken_Little_Elf
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by Drunken_Little_Elf »

ozzyrulz777 wrote:
slash4pres wrote:
No he is not.
Ok, just for the sake of discussion, who is?
Tommy2Tone84 wrote:I know I'm dumb.
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

znuff_fan wrote:I set the DVR one night for that UWF shit. Never made that mistake again. I agree it was boring as hell, don't think I even watched 5 minutes of it, just fast forwarded it to see if anybody I wanted to see was on it.
I feel your pain. I have no idea how long the UWF lasted, but it could not have been long.
Is it just me or was that league made up of wrestlers that left other organizations whether by force or by choice??

I wish ESPN Classic would continue to air AWA action from the early 80's to the late 80's.
Garbageman
Trashsocioculturist
Location: This is gonna be one hell of a horse race, cuz I'm riding a cheetah!

Post by Garbageman »

Machado wrote:
znuff_fan wrote:I set the DVR one night for that UWF shit. Never made that mistake again. I agree it was boring as hell, don't think I even watched 5 minutes of it, just fast forwarded it to see if anybody I wanted to see was on it.
I feel your pain. I have no idea how long the UWF lasted, but it could not have been long.
Is it just me or was that league made up of wrestlers that left other organizations whether by force or by choice??

I wish ESPN Classic would continue to air AWA action from the early 80's to the late 80's.
They lasted on and off something like 3 years (90-93), but never did anything other than TV tapings in L.A, NYC, and Orlando plus one really awful pay-per-view and a live card in Vegas that aired on Sportschannel. In Foley's first book he has some hilarious tales of how bad an organization they were. Owner Herb Abrams was a coked out fiend who got in some big trouble before the drugs caused a fatal heart attack. The talent was mostly made up of people the WWF or WCW didn't want... usually because those people had personal problems or couldn't be trusted to do 250 shows a year due to health. There are a few cool people who show up on those shows like Cactus Jack and Louie Spicoli.

The stuff they're showing on ESPN Classics now was licensed by his widow after he died for late night filler on ESPN2 around the time that channel launched in 1995. They showed it all a year ago and I don't think they have more than 25 hours of the UWF programming... so look for those old AWA episodes to show back up soon in a few weeks.

As an aside, a lot of the UWF footage was filmed at the Country Club in Reseda outside L.A.. It was a rock club you'll hear mentioned a bunch from people who lived in L.A. in the 80's. Megadeth's "Decline 2" footage was filmed there as were videos by Cinderella and others. It was the disco in "Boogie Nights" and is now some king of church.
radiobed wrote:The bottom line is Sleek is so far from credible when discussing Poison and their impact.
"I had to work hard for my yacht. I even played with Don Dokken." Bobby Blotzer
znuff_fan
Showcasing for A&R Reps

Post by znuff_fan »

So, the UWF was right when the AWA folded. No wonder the one I saw had some AWA wrestlers on it (the only one I remember seeing on that one episode was DeBeers, but know there were othere, just can't remember which ones I saw).
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

znuff_fan wrote:So, the UWF was right when the AWA folded. No wonder the one I saw had some AWA wrestlers on it (the only one I remember seeing on that one episode was DeBeers, but know there were othere, just can't remember which ones I saw).
DeBeers was a joke. I never did get his "character" and I never thought he was a force on the ring.

A couple weeks ago ESPN Classic aired some AWA footage from
The Metrodome.
Steel cage match w/Bruiser Brody and The Barbarian vs Snuka and I think Greg Gagne.
Really cool match. Lots of blood. Fucking Brody was an animal. He scared me just watching him on tv. Imagine getting into the ring with that animal and taking his foot to the face :(
znuff_fan
Showcasing for A&R Reps

Post by znuff_fan »

I know. Never thought DeBeers was worth a shit even back in the 80's. Which was the first thing I saw on UWF to tell me to fast forward it.

I am so glad that my cable company finally picked up ESPN Classic about 2 months ago (used to have it, but they removed it for probably 5 years). Still great to see old AWA footage.
ozzyrulz777
On Wings of Lead

Post by ozzyrulz777 »

Drunken_Little_Elf wrote:
I would say CM Punk.
Garbageman
Trashsocioculturist

Post by Garbageman »

South African Apartied rule is such a distant memory at this point the Col. DeBeers is going to seem extra lame as a gimmick... not that he was much of a showman. But back in the 80's you could still get away with those "evil foreigner" gimmicks. Remember Nikita Koloff was an awful wrestler but was made to look like such a monster he headlined Starrcade against Flair (and Flair famously carried him to a decent match).

A lot of the interesting people in the UWF were only at one set of tapings, and even when they were new those shows were rerun a bunch on Sportschannel and other local cable sports channels late at night. The one pay-per-view they did was incredibly lame and I'm sure can be found on YouTube for a laugh, as can segments of "Blackjack Brawl," the live show they did from Vegas.

Obviously when you look you can see which talent could get good bookings elsewhere like Japan (Dr. Death, Cactus Jack) and who was out looking for work. "Golden Greek" John Tolos doing color commentary was great and I'm surprised he never got an offer from someone bigger (aside from his brief sting managing Mr. Perfect in 1991 as "Coach").
radiobed wrote:The bottom line is Sleek is so far from credible when discussing Poison and their impact.
Sabu
Taking Music Lessons

Post by Sabu »

I mark for Miz and Morrison. The Dirt Sheet can be pretty fucking funny at times.
Subhuman Yeti
Headlining Clubs

Post by Subhuman Yeti »

When I was a kid, Tolos kicked ass in LA for years.

He was pretty old, but still horribly used by Vince.

No surprise.
"Afraid that the people might ask for a little more than the shit they get..."
YYC
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by YYC »

Miz and Morrison are the best tag team that the WWE has had in quite some time. I think if pushed the right way, Morrison could be the next HBK.

CM Punk has never impressed me. I don't hate him, I just don't see what all the hoopla is about. He has had some good matches with Jericho, however.
ryan76 wrote:I hope all your children have small penises, including the girls.
slash4pres
Showcasing for A&R Reps

Post by slash4pres »

ozzyrulz777 wrote:
I would say CM Punk.
Seriously, CM Punk and Morrison are the future of the business. Once Morrison drops the dead weight, he will be a great singles star. Look at any of his matches with Punk and tell me they aren't future hall of famers
ozzyrulz777
On Wings of Lead

Post by ozzyrulz777 »

slash4pres wrote:
ozzyrulz777 wrote:
I would say CM Punk.
Seriously, CM Punk and Morrison are the future of the business. Once Morrison drops the dead weight, he will be a great singles star. Look at any of his matches with Punk and tell me they aren't future hall of famers
True. Those are great matches. I just hate his Jim Morrison rip off bullshit. It pisses me off and I am not even a fan of Jim Morrison. Seriously he couldn't think of a better name than John Morrison.
Drunken_Little_Elf
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by Drunken_Little_Elf »

ozzyrulz777 wrote:
slash4pres wrote:
ozzyrulz777 wrote: I would say CM Punk.
True. Those are great matches. I just hate his Jim Morrison rip off bullshit. It pisses me off and I am not even a fan of Jim Morrison. Seriously he couldn't think of a better name than John Morrison.

I think you have to blame the WWE's "Creative" team for that one.
Tommy2Tone84 wrote:I know I'm dumb.
bigbuttskinner
Headlining Clubs

Post by bigbuttskinner »

This TNA garbage is absolutely boring. There is nothing about this that is exciting in the least. I'd rather watch UWF or AWA replays than shows like tonights. Last commercial break before the end of the show. Boy, I can't wait for the ending...
michelish wrote: VH album will be dropping first half of 2019. Album has been completed for a few months. They've been recording on and off since just after last tour.Finalizing title and artwork.
Nitrorulz wrote: I predict “The Dirt” will do double that.
referring to Queen movie
ozzyrulz777
On Wings of Lead

Post by ozzyrulz777 »

I did not pay attention last night it was that bad.
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

Garbageman wrote:South African Apartied rule is such a distant memory at this point the Col. DeBeers is going to seem extra lame as a gimmick... not that he was much of a showman. But back in the 80's you could still get away with those "evil foreigner" gimmicks. Remember Nikita Koloff was an awful wrestler but was made to look like such a monster he headlined Starrcade against Flair (and Flair famously carried him to a decent match).

A lot of the interesting people in the UWF were only at one set of tapings, and even when they were new those shows were rerun a bunch on Sportschannel and other local cable sports channels late at night. The one pay-per-view they did was incredibly lame and I'm sure can be found on YouTube for a laugh, as can segments of "Blackjack Brawl," the live show they did from Vegas.

Obviously when you look you can see which talent could get good bookings elsewhere like Japan (Dr. Death, Cactus Jack) and who was out looking for work. "Golden Greek" John Tolos doing color commentary was great and I'm surprised he never got an offer from someone bigger (aside from his brief sting managing Mr. Perfect in 1991 as "Coach").
I wonder if ESPN has any footage from "mid-south wresting".
Lawler, Austin Ido, Tommy "Wildfire" Rich, etc....Those 3 alone are entertaining enough.
Garbageman
Trashsocioculturist

Post by Garbageman »

I don't think Mid-South ever aired on ESPN. I know some of the Dallas shows did in the late 80's, as did Global Wrestling Federation in the early 90's.
ozzyrulz777
On Wings of Lead

Post by ozzyrulz777 »

Last nights Smackdown was also bad.
BootyDaddy69
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by BootyDaddy69 »

Why didn't I know there was a wrestling thread on Sludge? hmm probably because I only ever go to the gossip board, anyway I have not been bothered reading the past 24 pages to try and catch up but have been following wrestling for about 24 years and will say Col DeBeers sucks big time, hated him back in the 80's Did he ever have a good match?
Calexxia
Cockblocked by Poison
Location: HERE I AM MOTHERFUCKER, JUST CLEANING UP MY MOTHERFUCKING BRICKS, BITCH.

Post by Calexxia »

Machado wrote:
Garbageman wrote:South African Apartied rule is such a distant memory at this point the Col. DeBeers is going to seem extra lame as a gimmick... not that he was much of a showman. But back in the 80's you could still get away with those "evil foreigner" gimmicks. Remember Nikita Koloff was an awful wrestler but was made to look like such a monster he headlined Starrcade against Flair (and Flair famously carried him to a decent match).

I wonder if ESPN has any footage from "mid-south wresting".
Lawler, Austin Ido, Tommy "Wildfire" Rich, etc....Those 3 alone are entertaining enough.
I used to love hittin' the Mid-South Coliseum when I was a kid. There were some GREAT shows and it was just fun family entertainment (ha!). I'd actually LOVE to see the Fabulous Ones in some of their vintage matches--they had wonderfully cheesy promos!
"Why leather woman post whore picture of breast!! That is for baby food and husband not internets!!"
ozzyrulz777
On Wings of Lead

Post by ozzyrulz777 »

Hopefully the TNA ppv will be good tonight.
silent_eyes
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by silent_eyes »

ozzyrulz777 wrote:Hopefully the TNA ppv will be good tonight.
I totally had no clue they even had a PPV tonight. Ehh... can't be no worse that what they have been charging $30 for the last couple months.
ozzyrulz777
On Wings of Lead

Post by ozzyrulz777 »

Here is the results so far:

Alex Shelley vs. Eric Young = Alex Shelley winner
Scott Steiner vs. Petey Williams = Scott Steiner winner

right now it is Brutus Magnus vs. Chris Sabin.