Random observations about the 2009 NFL season.

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

bane
Threesome with Pam and Donna

Re: Your random observations about the NFL season so far.

Post by bane »

Itjogsamongus wrote:19 months ago - game winning touchdown in Super Bowl.

Today - prison.

Man.
I'm from the school of "the punishment doesn't fit the crime". He had a gun, in a club. Illegal, yeah, but 2 years without parole? A bit harsh IMO. The DA must be a Cowboys fan.
UtahRatt
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by UtahRatt »

bane wrote:
Itjogsamongus wrote:19 months ago - game winning touchdown in Super Bowl.

Today - prison.

Man.
I'm from the school of "the punishment doesn't fit the crime". He had a gun, in a club. Illegal, yeah, but 2 years without parole? A bit harsh IMO. The DA must be a Cowboys fan.
It's a law put in place to clean up NY, they don't fuck around. Anywhere else it's a different story.

As a gun owner and carrier it's your responsibility to know these things. I've never been to NY and even I know not to carry there, arrogance like that is dangerous and he's paying for it.
He wanted to be a gun toting gangster, he got his wish, he's G now.

That is crazy to think about, winning TD in the big game to prison for 2 years.....The crowed noise and BOOOO's should make him feel at home.
poizond13 wrote:I have been very bummed out, sad and shocked for most of the night
Artemis2085 wrote:so I blurt out "I love you Paul!
Atomicpunk18 wrote:You see Black Crowes music has gotten me laid multiple times.
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

unionjack wrote:Matt Ryan looks to be the real deal.

I'm impressed, not that I think he's seen a killer D yet but so far he's looked good. I'll be the first to say I never thought much of him.
poizond13 wrote:I have been very bummed out, sad and shocked for most of the night
Atomicpunk18 wrote:You see Black Crowes music has gotten me laid multiple times.
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs
Location: Of course you can't stand gay people. Check out your own animated sig, you fucking idiot - Moggio

Post by thejuggernaut »

UtahRatt wrote:
unionjack wrote:Matt Ryan looks to be the real deal.

I'm impressed, not that I think he's seen a killer D yet but so far he's looked good. I'll be the first to say I never thought much of him.
He's faced the Eagles, Chargers (Merriman-less, of course, but talented nonetheless) and the Vikes.

I was discussing this the other day with an employee - guys like Big Ben, Rivers, Sanchez Flacco - they all walked into great situations. Strong running games, strong defenses to lean on, to bring their QB along slowly, gradually unveiling more of the playbook each week. There's also the added benefit of getting to PRACTICE against stellar defensive talent.

Matt Ryan had none of those things. Last year it was pretty much shorten the game and try to outscore the opponent. It's quite impressive when you think about it.
Tenacious_Dio
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Tenacious_Dio »

thejuggernaut wrote: Matt Ryan had none of those things.

He had the 2nd best running game in the league. :|
Last edited by Tenacious_Dio on Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs
Location: Of course you can't stand gay people. Check out your own animated sig, you fucking idiot - Moggio

Post by thejuggernaut »

Tenacious_Dio wrote:
thejuggernaut wrote: Matt Ryan had none of those things.

He had the 2nd best running game in the league. :|
I was referring to the lack of a killer D to back him up, bring him along slowly, and to practice against, hence >
thejuggernaut wrote:Matt Ryan had none of those things. Last year it was pretty much shorten the game and try to outscore the opponent. It's quite impressive when you think about it.
I was obviously acknowledging the running game, since it's quite difficult to shorten the game by throwing all the time.
Tenacious_Dio
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Tenacious_Dio »

You'll get no arguments from me about how good Ryan is. Unfortunately, the Panthers will be dealing with him for the next 10 years or so. :(
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs

Post by thejuggernaut »

Tenacious_Dio wrote:You'll get no arguments from me about how good Ryan is. Unfortunately, the Panthers will be dealing with him for the next 10 years or so. :(
I'd say they're more concerned about how much Delhomme will burn them, than Ryan.

Sorry, had to :)
Tenacious_Dio
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Tenacious_Dio »

thejuggernaut wrote:
Tenacious_Dio wrote:You'll get no arguments from me about how good Ryan is. Unfortunately, the Panthers will be dealing with him for the next 10 years or so. :(
I'd say they're more concerned about how much Delhomme will burn them, than Ryan.

Sorry, had to :)
Long term, I'm not worried about Jake. He's coming to the end of his run. The defense has been terrible, though, and it started at the end of last season. :|
Monsters_of_Rock
Recording Your Demo

Post by Monsters_of_Rock »

This just in...

Brett Favre has still got it. It must suck to be a Favre hater. :P
"We're gonna score 17? OK!!! What is Plaxico playing defense now?"
--Tom Brady
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

Monsters_of_Rock wrote:This just in...

Didn't you say that he didn't want to come back and play? Remember it was the media that's trying to make a story and they need to leave him alone?
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

Some great MOR quotes..... :lol:
On Brett retiring
Monsters_of_Rock wrote:Favre is not coming back, the media just refuses to let him go away quietly. They're giving him the same treatment that Barry Sanders got when he retired.

More on Brett Farve retiring.
Monsters_of_Rock wrote:Greatest QB of all-time. He will be missed. A throwback to a bygone era, one of the last of the truly classy athletes who played the game and went about their business the right way.
Truly classy...Like how he retired and re-retires every year? Or how he left The Pack crying?

Is Kurt Warner A Hall Of Fame Quarterback?
Monsters_of_Rock wrote:Not only no, but HELL NO!!!

He has three very good seasons (1999, 2001, and 2008). From 2002-2007 he was a complete and total non-factor. The HOF should be reserved for players who were consistently great for many years, not some overrated chump who had 3 great years out of 10. If Kurt Warner goes to the HOF, then by all means let's put Mark Rypien in there with him.
LOL @ comparing Rypien to Kurt....Well when he goes into the Hall, you can cry all you want because you're on an island.

MOR on Tom Brady and Joe Montana
Monsters_of_Rock wrote:Neither one of them holds a candle to Favre, Elway, Marino, or Manning. The proof is in the career statistics. They're both very good, but the four guys I named are in a class all by themselves.
Hey moron, for anyone in the know or anyway who's actually FUCKING PLAYED! It's about winning! Your statistics don't mean shit if you never won. Ask Marino if he would give up his records for a ring.

You truly are an infant minded idiot.
Monsters_of_Rock
Recording Your Demo

UtahRatt wrote:
Monsters_of_Rock wrote:This just in...

Didn't you say that he didn't want to come back and play? Remember it was the media that's trying to make a story and they need to leave him alone?
Uhhh, yeah... I already stated that I was happy to have been proven wrong on that... A FUCKING YEAR AGO WHEN HE WAS PLAYING FOR THE JETS!!!

I didn't think he was going to play again after 2007, but I'm glad he did.

So now that you've reestablished once again, a year later, that I was happy to have been proven wrong about him playing again... what else do you have to say for yourself?

The fact of the matter is that he's still great and everybody who hates him must have been really pissed off at what happened yesterday. It must suck to be a hater.
--Tom Brady
Monsters_of_Rock
Recording Your Demo

UtahRatt wrote:Some great MOR quotes..... :lol:
On Brett retiring
Monsters_of_Rock wrote:Favre is not coming back, the media just refuses to let him go away quietly. They're giving him the same treatment that Barry Sanders got when he retired.

More on Brett Farve retiring.
Monsters_of_Rock wrote:Greatest QB of all-time. He will be missed. A throwback to a bygone era, one of the last of the truly classy athletes who played the game and went about their business the right way.
Truly classy...Like how he retired and re-retires every year? Or how he left The Pack crying?

Is Kurt Warner A Hall Of Fame Quarterback?
Monsters_of_Rock wrote:Not only no, but HELL NO!!!

He has three very good seasons (1999, 2001, and 2008). From 2002-2007 he was a complete and total non-factor. The HOF should be reserved for players who were consistently great for many years, not some overrated chump who had 3 great years out of 10. If Kurt Warner goes to the HOF, then by all means let's put Mark Rypien in there with him.
LOL @ comparing Rypien to Kurt....Well when he goes into the Hall, you can cry all you want because you're on an island.

MOR on Tom Brady and Joe Montana
Monsters_of_Rock wrote:Neither one of them holds a candle to Favre, Elway, Marino, or Manning. The proof is in the career statistics. They're both very good, but the four guys I named are in a class all by themselves.
Hey moron, for anyone in the know or anyway who's actually FUCKING PLAYED! It's about winning! Your statistics don't mean shit if you never won. Ask Marino if he would give up his records for a ring.

You truly are an infant minded idiot.
Stupidest post ever. That is all.
--Tom Brady
bane

Post by bane »

Just out of curiousity. If I think Farve has always been a decent quarterback but no where near the top of the heap, not even in the conversation for the best of his era let alone all time, does that make me a "hater"?
Monsters_of_Rock
Recording Your Demo

bane wrote:Just out of curiousity. If I think Farve has always been a decent quarterback but no where near the top of the heap, not even in the conversation for the best of his era let alone all time, does that make me a "hater"?
I wouldn't say that alone makes you a hater, but it certainly raises questions as to your judgement of QBs. The numbers don't lie, he's arguably the best ever and without question somewhere among the top 5.
--Tom Brady
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

This just in, JaMarcus Russell is a cream puff....Worst QB in the league. Someone said it before but it needs to be repeated.

I'm convinced the Dolphins play under a black cloud, Pennington has a torn shoulder and is out for the year. The fishes fate rest on the shoulders of Chad Henne....Where's Culpepper when ya need him?

In Tampa Leftwich is out, Josh Johnson is in....Time to move out of Florida football fans, God hates you.

The Bengals have a better record then the Steelers....LOLZ.
Sure it's only 3 games in but I figured it would take the Bengals mid season to win 2.

Still not sold on the Jets, bet they fold by Thanksgiving. Pat's take the division.

AFC West vs NFC West...That's a lot of suck. The Niners are average at best come on. Frank Gore's right ankle X-Ray show no broken bones, MRI to be done today.

Say goodbye to the 0-3 Tennessee Titans..And speaking of the dead. Mechelle McNair, Steve McNair's widow, and the couple's two sons have all retained attorneys to stake claim over McNair's estate. He didn't have a will and even tho it's not ugly yet, it will. I bet $19.6 million dollars on that.

Panthers at Cowboys MNF - Panthers 42 Cowboys 3
Delhomme tosses 5 TD's and Romo tosses 5 Ints while the toilets in the new Cowboy's Ego Dome back up and flood the stands with shit.

Monsters_of_Rock wrote:Stupidest post ever. That is all.
Only because I quoted your stupid ass 4 times.
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

Monsters_of_Rock wrote:I wouldn't say that alone makes you a hater, but it certainly raises questions as to your judgement of QBs. The numbers don't lie, he's arguably the best ever and without question somewhere among the top 5.
If you spoke more with opinions and less with absolutes...You'd still be the dumbest fucker on the boards.

Comparing numbers? Think Unitas and Staubach would have different numbers in today's pussifyed rule changing league?

Any QB to play in the last ten years shouldn't even wear pads it's got so bad..Christ with all the WR rules we might as well call it touch football.

From the 90's on football stats should have an "*" just for stupid people like yourself.
Monsters_of_Rock
Recording Your Demo

UtahRatt wrote:
Monsters_of_Rock wrote:I wouldn't say that alone makes you a hater, but it certainly raises questions as to your judgement of QBs. The numbers don't lie, he's arguably the best ever and without question somewhere among the top 5.
If you spoke more with opinions and less with absolutes...You'd still be the dumbest fucker on the boards.

Comparing numbers? Think Unitas and Staubach would have different numbers in today's pussifyed rule changing league?

Any QB to play in the last ten years shouldn't even wear pads it's got so bad..Christ with all the WR rules we might as well call it touch football.

From the 90's on football stats should have an "*" just for stupid people like yourself.
It isn't from the 90's on, it's from 1978 on. That is the year when all of the major rule changes took place that opened up the passing game and made football into the game that we know it as to this day. If you want to have two separate lists (one for pre '78 and another for '78 on) I would not have a problem with that. But that doesn't change the fact that no other QB in the history of the game was as good as Favre for as long. All of the other great ones were washed up by the time they reached 40, but Favre still has it.
--Tom Brady
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

Monsters_of_Rock wrote:It isn't from the 90's on, it's from 1978 on. That is the year when all of the major rule changes took place that opened up the passing game and made football into the game that we know it as to this day. If you want to have two separate lists (one for pre '78 and another for '78 on) I would not have a problem with that. But that doesn't change the fact that no other QB in the history of the game was as good as Favre for as long. All of the other great ones were washed up by the time they reached 40, but Favre still has it.

Bitch if you don't think today's pussyfied QB rules don't expand a players life span you're fucking stupid.

Even Namath said on this weeks Buck Show that QB's should be able to play into their late 40's. Christ Elway said in his time he was getting teased about wearing a skirt but in today's game QB's might as well be wearing ballerina outfits.

Your blind obsession over your favorite players dick is amazing. You can't see shit with a set of balls on your face.

Their is no one immaculate conception when it comes to rule changes, they get worse each year, some more then others but one things for sure they still played and hit hard in the 80's. The 70's was a War zone.

I recently found a VHS of a Monday night game in 1992, after watching the first half it was amazing that every other play I kept saying "that would be a flag today"

Fuck you and fuck your stats, you're clearly nothing more then a fan boy with no real understanding of the game. Might as well call you P13 junior, funny how both you fag's ended up on Bret's lap.
Sabu
Taking Music Lessons

Post by Sabu »

bane wrote:Just out of curiousity. If I think Farve has always been a decent quarterback but no where near the top of the heap, not even in the conversation for the best of his era let alone all time, does that make me a "hater"?

His numbers put him the category of all time greats, but I could see why someone may not want to consider him technique-wise in the same group as an Elway, or a Montana, or a Marino.

Scary thing is how much better he could have been if he didn't make so many ill-advised throws. Then again... that was his game.

Still, he's got the numbers and the rings that means you really have to consider him among the tops of his era. Although I do see how some people would NOT want him on their team at times.
Sabu
Taking Music Lessons

Post by Sabu »

I really thought the Jets would lose this week, glad I was wrong.

Good news as a Jets fan is that they will only get better. They're still learning the gameplan, and they're getting Pace back in 2 weeks. Running game has struggled, but they are still finding ways on offense to move the football.

As for Tenn... Right now Chris Johnson looks like the only player worth a shit on the offense for them. The way their receiving core looked, Johnson needs more than 23 touches in a game. He's one of the best playmakers in the league, you use him accordingly. How in the world they weren't throwing screens to him all day to counter the Jets blitzing is beyond me. That's an awful job by Fisher and Hiemerdinger. Still, they're 0-3 but they've lost by a combined 13 points so far. I don't think they're dead yet, but if they lose to JVille this week, there's a great chance they're going 0-6.
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

Sabu wrote:His numbers put him the category of all time greats, but I could see why someone may not want to consider him technique-wise in the same group as an Elway, or a Montana, or a Marino.

Scary thing is how much better he could have been if he didn't make so many ill-advised throws. Then again... that was his game.

Still, he's got the numbers and the rings that means you really have to consider him among the tops of his era. Although I do see how some people would NOT want him on their team at times.
I think most people will agree with that, I do. Most of this foolish argument is MOR trying to say "Bret is the best! It's a FACT! Look at the STATS!"
Facedown
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by Facedown »

Sabu wrote:Still, he's got the numbers and the rings
:?:
bonedog wrote:I let Facedown get the better of me
bonedog wrote:My first kid will be born when I am 47.
bonedog wrote:I suck at sludging.
Sabu
Taking Music Lessons

Post by Sabu »

Facedown wrote:
Sabu wrote:Still, he's got the numbers and the rings
:?:

The whole sentence is a disaster when I look at it again. I must have been typing with a lisp and no sense of punctuation or grammar.
bane

Post by bane »

Monsters_of_Rock wrote:
I wouldn't say that alone makes you a hater, but it certainly raises questions as to your judgement of QBs. The numbers don't lie, he's arguably the best ever and without question somewhere among the top 5.
Among the top 5 ever? Marino, Montana, Unitas, Elway and Tarkenton may have something to say about that. There are an awful lot of names that you could argue over him depending on your criteria. Names like Starr, Staubach, Bradshaw or even Jim Kelly come to mind. I consider Favre second tier along with names like Young, Moon and Aikman. Great quarterbacks all, but a long way from "without question top 5 all time". I can see an argument for him being among the greats of his era, hell, I like Farve, always have, or at least I did until he started jerking everybody off with his "I'm retiring, I'm not retiring" bullshit, but "without question" does not apply. There are lots of questions. I think you need to remove your fan goggles.
Monsters_of_Rock
Recording Your Demo

UtahRatt wrote:
Sabu wrote:His numbers put him the category of all time greats, but I could see why someone may not want to consider him technique-wise in the same group as an Elway, or a Montana, or a Marino.

I think most people will agree with that, I do. Most of this foolish argument is MOR trying to say "Bret is the best! It's a FACT! Look at the STATS!"
Either you've misunderstood what I've been saying or else you're just putting words in my mouth for the sake of argument.

I never said it's a fact that he's the best, I said that without question he has to be considered among the best ever and that arguably a case can be made for him at the very top of that list. I think that anybody who is at all objective would have to rank him somewhere among the top five based on the fact that he's been so good for so long.

It could be argued that a small handful of other QBs may have been as good or perhaps slightly better over a span of 10 to 12 years, but I can't think of a single QB who was as effective over a span of 18 years. One of the criteria for ranking the all-time greats has to be longevity, otherwise Gale Sayers/Billy Sims/Bo Jackson could be considered the greatest RBs of all-time and Herman Moore/John Jefferson could be considered the greatest WRs of all-time.
--Tom Brady
Monsters_of_Rock
Recording Your Demo

bane wrote:
Monsters_of_Rock wrote:
Among the top 5 ever? Marino, Montana, Unitas, Elway and Tarkenton may have something to say about that. There are an awful lot of names that you could argue over him depending on your criteria. Names like Starr, Staubach, Bradshaw or even Jim Kelly come to mind. I consider Favre second tier along with names like Young, Moon and Aikman. Great quarterbacks all, but a long way from "without question top 5 all time". I can see an argument for him being among the greats of his era, hell, I like Farve, always have, or at least I did until he started jerking everybody off with his "I'm retiring, I'm not retiring" bullshit, but "without question" does not apply. There are lots of questions. I think you need to remove your fan goggles.

The guys that you named were all great QBs, don't get me wrong. But can you honestly look at their entire body of work and say that they were absolutely without question better than Favre? I don't think you can say that objectively, although I respect that a case can be made for some of those guys being just maybe ever so slightly better.

Tarkenton, Bradshaw, Staubach, Stabler, Starr, and Unitas are so hard to judge because they played before the major NFL rule changes of 1978. They're certainly among the best of their era, but how would they have played in the modern era? Maybe better, maybe worse, maybe the same. There's no way to really come up with an absolute answer to that question.

As for his modern era contemporaries... I put Marino, Elway, Manning, and Young into the top 5 with Favre. Rank those five in any order and I won't argue too much. I put Favre at #1, but honestly a strong case can be made for any of those five being put at the top of that list. I think that guys like Montana, Kelly, Fouts, and Moon belong in the 2nd tier. Not that they weren't great, but their entire body of work doesn't quite measure up to that of the guys in my top five.
--Tom Brady
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

Monsters_of_Rock wrote:I never said it's a fact that he's the best, I said that without question he has to be considered among the best ever and that arguably a case can be made for him at the very top of that list.
So you never said he was the best huh?
Monsters_of_Rock wrote:Greatest QB of all-time.
Now your saying he has to be considered among the best?
Monsters_of_Rock wrote:Neither one of them holds a candle to Favre, Elway, Marino, or Manning. The proof is in the career statistics.
The PROOF is in the career statistics sure sounds like a FUCKING FACT TO ME.
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

And enough with this longevity bull shit, put Favre back in the 70's or early 80's when they could still hit QB's and his chances of getting plowed go up 10 fold so shut the fuck up.

His game streak is commendable but it's impossible for you to keep things in perspective.

George Blanda played 25+ years during a time when it was a smash mouth game, not this wide open stat padding crap of today.

Pull your head out.