WildCard Weekend Prediction Thread

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

LAglamrocker
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Re: WildCard Weekend Prediction Thread

Post by LAglamrocker »

ha,ha the I quit Colts get the Ravens...and the #2 seed Chargers get the Jets(easy win)

Arizona has it made every year, there buit for the playoffs
Jani Lane and Bret Michaels should form a band called "Nelson II"
nycyankee
Recording Debut Album

Post by nycyankee »

LAglamrocker wrote:ha,ha the I quit Colts get the Ravens...and the #2 seed Chargers get the Jets(easy win)

Arizona has it made every year, there buit for the playoffs

Terrible defense is a prerequisite in building a team for the playoffs?? News to me.

SAINTS WILL DESTROY AZ. WON'T EVEN BE CLOSE.
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

nycyankee wrote: SAINTS WILL DESTROY AZ. WON'T EVEN BE CLOSE.
First team to "hang half a hundred" is certain to win the
match up
nycyankee
Recording Debut Album

Post by nycyankee »

Machado wrote:
match up

lol

I think the Saints D will be better than GB. The only way AZ beats the Saints is if they score on every drive. GB only stopped them twice and still had a chance to win the game. Imagine what the Saints will do to them.
Last edited by nycyankee on Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

nycyankee wrote:
Machado wrote:
match up

lol

I think the Saints D will be better than GB. Only way AZ wins that game is if they score on every drive. GB only stopped them twice and still had a chance to win the game. Imagine what the Saints will do to them.
is the saints team playing on the sunday that same team that was undefeated for weeks or the team that showed up vs Dallas?
LAglamrocker

Post by LAglamrocker »

all Arizona has to do is win there weak division every year, get 1 home game, then always good enough to win the next 2

Arizona could go 9-7 win there division almost every year, get hot and win the whole thing
nycyankee
Recording Debut Album

Post by nycyankee »

"is the saints team playing on the sunday that same team that was undefeated for weeks or the team that showed up vs Dallas? "

I think they will be somewhere in the middle. Not as good as the undefeated team but not the team that showed up against Dallas either. I think the Saints crowd will be a big factor in the game. AZ has to score on every single drive to win. DO you think they can do this in that environment??
LAglamrocker

Post by LAglamrocker »

The Saints are not this "super" team, before they lost 3 in a row, the 2 wins before were by 3 points, and a few other close games. There lucky to win 13, should have been 10-6

Arizona will do just fine, who ever wins will be by 5 or less
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

nycyankee wrote:"is the saints team playing on the sunday that same team that was undefeated for weeks or the team that showed up vs Dallas? "

I think they will be somewhere in the middle. Not as good as the undefeated team but not the team that showed up against Dallas either. I think the Saints crowd will be a big factor in the game. AZ has to score on every single drive to win. DO you think they can do this in that environment??

I can't underestimate the amount of expierience warner has. I look for him to have a much better game than brees.
This game might be a shootout, but somewhere in the high 30's and nothing like the game yesterday.
nycyankee
Recording Debut Album

Post by nycyankee »

If I had to pick a quarterback to start a playoff game, I would choose Warner everytime. I just don't think it will be enough. If this game was being played in AZ, I might feel a little bit differently.
demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

Cowboys > Vikings
Colts > Ravens
Chargers > Jets
Cardinals > Saints

And damn, the quality and form of the QBs left is pretty impressive...
Warner
Brees
Favre
Rivers
Manning
Romo

I'd hate to try picking the Superbowl winner at this point, but I certainly don't think Sanchez or a banged up Flacco can win through those guys to get there, let alone win it.
Moggio wrote:You see, the problem with you is that you act like I have no credibility or something.
PhoenixFlames wrote:AVATAR made 2.7 billion which (maths) is close to 3 x million millions!!!!!!
LAglamrocker

Post by LAglamrocker »

Vikings by 17
Chargers by 10
Ravens by 13...Ravens up by 7, last drive Mannings last pass intercepted for a TD
Arizona by 3
poizond13
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by poizond13 »

Not only will the Colts dominate the Ravens, but we will send the Ravens players and coaches back to baltimore on a bunch of mayflower trucks! Talk about deja vu!

DISCLAIMER: The below images were forced upon me against my will by the moderator and are NOT of my choosing.

thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs
Location: Of course you can't stand gay people. Check out your own animated sig, you fucking idiot - Moggio

Post by thejuggernaut »

poizond13 wrote:Not only will the Colts dominate the Ravens, but we will send the Ravens players and coaches back to baltimore on a bunch of mayflower trucks! Talk about deja vu!

Heenan Snuka
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by Heenan Snuka »

poizond13 wrote:Not only will the Colts dominate the Ravens, but we will send the Ravens players and coaches back to baltimore on a bunch of mayflower trucks! Talk about deja vu!

we?
you're a Chicagoan, the Colts are not "we" to you...fair-weather fan
Stoner wrote:
...we stopped at a restaurant to eat and I was wearing a Sludge shirt. Someone came up and asked me if I read the messageboard - I touched cloth for a split second and then said the shirt was my husband's and just looked at them retardedly.
bane
Threesome with Pam and Donna

Post by bane »

Cowboys
Ravens
Chargers
Saints
Heenan Snuka
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by Heenan Snuka »

winners will be:

Vikings by 7
Chargers by 17
Colts by 6
Cardinals by 3
Stoner wrote:
...we stopped at a restaurant to eat and I was wearing a Sludge shirt. Someone came up and asked me if I read the messageboard - I touched cloth for a split second and then said the shirt was my husband's and just looked at them retardedly.
Tymaster
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Tymaster »

thejuggernaut wrote:

It's Cleveland that should hate (and does hate) Baltimore. Indy should be thankful.
LouDoo wrote:Neon has to be the most active poster who actually contributes the least, despite all the threads he starts. He has no redeeming value. He's completely useless.
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

Heenan Snuka wrote:

we?
I hate to stick up for p13, but you don't have to be from the state your team is from.

that's retarded.

I grew up in western Ny, and am a Viking and Dodger fan. And die-hard at that.
poizond13
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by poizond13 »

NeverSurrender wrote:
Heenan Snuka wrote:

we?
I hate to stick up for p13, but you don't have to be from the state your team is from.

that's retarded.

Exactly. And I've been a Colts fan since 1995. I've endured two in a row 3-13 seasons back in the late 90s, and never wavered in my support for the team. I've watched every game for the past ten years. If that's a fair weather fan, so be it.
DISCLAIMER: The below images were forced upon me against my will by the moderator and are NOT of my choosing.

thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs
Location: Of course you can't stand gay people. Check out your own animated sig, you fucking idiot - Moggio

Post by thejuggernaut »

NeverSurrender wrote:
Heenan Snuka wrote:

we?

that's retarded.

You also are not part of the team because you buy a ticket and a shirt.

It's the "we" he was mocking more than anything.
demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

The people supporting teams from areas they're not from, have never lived, and aren't geographically close to has always weirded me out.

I mean, there's nothing wrong with it as long as you stick with your chosen team, but I guess here the thing is teams here aren't franchises, they're provincial representative sides, that pick the best players in their region from the club teams that anyone can join (albeit not necessarily play in 1st grade games for)... So the idea of supporting a team from somewhere you don't/haven't lived is basically unheard of here.

For the record I support the Chargers (and the damn Padres) because I lived in San Diego for a year when I was 21.
Moggio wrote:You see, the problem with you is that you act like I have no credibility or something.
PhoenixFlames wrote:AVATAR made 2.7 billion which (maths) is close to 3 x million millions!!!!!!
poizond13
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by poizond13 »

demolition23 wrote:The people supporting teams from areas they're not from, have never lived, and aren't geographically close to has always weirded me out.

I mean, there's nothing wrong with it as long as you stick with your chosen team, but I guess here the thing is teams here aren't franchises, they're provincial representative sides, that pick the best players in their region from the club teams that anyone can join (albeit not necessarily play in 1st grade games for)... So the idea of supporting a team from somewhere you don't/haven't lived is basically unheard of here.

For the record I support the Chargers (and the damn Padres) because I lived in San Diego for a year when I was 21.
It's already been explained that I have a residence in Indiana.

Tymaster

Post by Tymaster »

P13 gets a pass for being from Indiana, but I, like many of you, never understood cheering for out of area teams. The whole idea in the beginning was that that "team" represented your city/area. Of course with free agency, television, the internet, etc., I guess that drained some of that. You have Laker fans that have never driven west of the Might Miss., Yankee fans that have never been east of Denver. I don't get that.
I'm a Browns fans and a Cavs fan because to me, they represent the populous of the vicinity. But again things have changed. Besides the aforementioned, in the good ol' days, the players actually lived in the cities they played in year round. They became part and parcell with the community. There is less and less of that anymore. Cleveland is a prime example right now. LBJ is, let me say IS Cleveland/Akron. It's very loyal and old school, and the whole world digs it. If he leaves, not only does Ohio disdain the move, I think the whole world of sports fans would be a little upset because he has a chance to represent a bygone era.
LouDoo wrote:Neon has to be the most active poster who actually contributes the least, despite all the threads he starts. He has no redeeming value. He's completely useless.
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs

Post by thejuggernaut »

poizond13 wrote:
demolition23 wrote:The people supporting teams from areas they're not from, have never lived, and aren't geographically close to has always weirded me out.

It's already been explained that I have a residence in Indiana.
No you don't. Your parents do. What job do you have in Indiana ?
poizond13
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by poizond13 »

Tymaster wrote:P13 gets a pass for being from Indiana, but I, like many of you, never understood cheering for out of area teams. The whole idea in the beginning was that that "team" represented your city/area. Of course with free agency, television, the internet, etc., I guess that drained some of that. You have Laker fans that have never driven west of the Might Miss., Yankee fans that have never been east of Denver. I don't get that.
I'm a Browns fans and a Cavs fan because to me, they represent the populous of the vicinity. But again things have changed. Besides the aforementioned, in the good ol' days, the players actually lived in the cities they played in year round. They became part and parcell with the community. There is less and less of that anymore. Cleveland is a prime example right now. LBJ is, let me say IS Cleveland/Akron. It's very loyal and old school, and the whole world digs it. If he leaves, not only does Ohio disdain the move, I think the whole world of sports fans would be a little upset because he has a chance to represent a bygone era.
Agreed there. My main problem is with people who pick a team because they are successful or popular. For example, there are quite a few Cowboy fans in Chicago, and I just can't understand that. In fact, it makes me sick. Unless you have ties to Texas, there is no excuse for anyone from Chicago to be a Cowboys fan. Having said that, as long as one is consistent with their team and doesn't flip-flop based on who the hot teams are in a given year, I can live with it.

thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs

Post by thejuggernaut »

Tymaster wrote:P13 gets a pass for being from Indiana, but I, like many of you, never understood cheering for out of area teams. The whole idea in the beginning was that that "team" represented your city/area. Of course with free agency, television, the internet, etc., I guess that drained some of that. You have Laker fans that have never driven west of the Might Miss., Yankee fans that have never been east of Denver. I don't get that.
I live in eastern Canada so technically I shouldn't be allowed to cheer for ANY team, by that logic.

:)

A lot of people in my area are Pats fans, but I am not.

For me (and I would guess lots of folks) it was a matter of the first thing saw as a kid and it stuck.

I would also guess teams being "passed down" plays a part like a Colorado Yankees fan, perhaps they were fans because their father was and perhaps Colorado didn't have a team when the person started following baseball so they shouldn't really be expected to "switch teams" just because their area gets a team. Hell, a lot of fans probably became fans of their teams because they were watching a game with their father or whatever and they liked the OTHER team.

A lot of my friends are Blue Jays fans simply because they're a Canadian team.

As for my favorite teams, a lot of it was simply because of exposure when I got into the sport.

Basketball - I was watching the Lakers and they were cool to watch. I had no idea they were what they were (on their way to becoming an elite powerhouse). They just seemed like a fun team to watch.

Hockey - I came to cheer for the Rangers because I was a wrestling fan as a kid and because we had a satellite dish, I had lots of networks. I used to watch wrestling on MSG network and lots of times I would watch a Rangers replay or watch the game waiting for wrestling and I liked the way Beezer played. It's weird how it works here. Once upon a time, most Canadians were either Montreal or Toronto fans. Then as expansion happened and new generations were being born, lots of Canucks, Flames and Oilers fans emerged. I know a lot of Senators fans, but they are converts and the team is too new for me to know diehards (in others words, I don't know any kids and they're the ones who'd be diehards since they'd have started watching since the team came into existence)

Baseball - similar to hockey. Was watching wrestling on NESN and then I saw this big fireballing Texan (Clemens) trying to mow everyone down.

Football - this one is a little different. My grandparents were snowbirds and lived in Florida. My favorite uncle was a Gator thanks to a track scholarship and he always gave me all kinds of merch. I started going to Gators games as a kid, so that one is obvious. The NFL is a little different. Right around the time I was getting into college football, I got into the NFL. I was down visiting my grandparents. There was no team in Jax back then and I don't know if that area of Florida was blacked out from the Dolphins or what (I never did ask) but the Falcons were on tv one day and I watched them and liked the way they played. I was obviously too young to understand the incompetence that was the Falcons.

LOL

So, there are lots of different ways people can become fans.

I don't question P13s Colts "fandom" based on his location. I question his calling the team "we".

I do question his Clots fandom in general though because, until about a month ago when his signature appeared, the only thing he ever talked about was sports cars and theatrical bands. I don't ever remember seeing him appear in the Locker Room.

So, it almost seems like an attempt to "branch out"

thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs

Post by thejuggernaut »

poizond13 wrote:
Agreed there. My main problem is with people who pick a team because they are successful or popular. For example, there are quite a few Cowboy fans in Chicago, and I just can't understand that. In fact, it makes me sick. Unless you have ties to Texas, there is no excuse for anyone from Chicago to be a Cowboys fan. Having said that, as long as one is consistent with their team and doesn't flip-flop based on who the hot teams are in a given year, I can live with it.
And therein lies the issue. It's not so much that you are from Chicago and root for a legendary franchise like the Colts. It's the fact that this information only became public knowledge this season, right around Christmas, when they were 14-0 and you weren't actively posting in the Locker Room until 2010.
poizond13
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by poizond13 »

thejuggernaut wrote:
poizond13 wrote:
And therein lies the issue. It's not so much that you are from Chicago and root for a legendary franchise like the Colts. It's the fact that this information only became public knowledge this season, right around Christmas, when they were 14-0 and you weren't actively posting in the Locker Room until 2010.
I never saw the need to discuss sports on a music based message board. I've been a member of the Colts forum for years, and that's where I primarily discuss the team. It wasn't until recently that I realized that there was some pretty good sports discussion here on sludge. Your explanation of me "branching out" is bizarre and could only come from an idiot such as yourself. As I've explained numerous times, and hopefully this will be the last, I've been a diehard Colts fan since 1995. What really cemented my status as a diehard Colts fan was the 1995 AFC Championship game, when the Colts came within a play from advancing to the Superbowl. Since then I've been a Colts fan and a fan of no other NFL team. I've been a fan through 2 consecutive 3-13 seasons. I never questioned the team when they chose Edgerrin James over Ricky Williams, which at the time many thought was a big mistake. And when the Colts faced the Bears in the Superbowl, it would have been much easier for me to root for the home town team, given the fact that everyone I knew was giving me shit for wearing my Colts gear and rooting against the bears. Nonetheless, I wore my Colts gear everyday that week, and endured plenty of dirty looks and angry comments from Bears fans around town. So I do take offense to anyone saying I am a "fair weather fan." That couldn't be further from the truth.

What's more, if I were a bandwagon fair weather fan, why would I become a Colts fan NOW, when they've been by far the most dominant team of the past decade?? Why would I be hopping on the bandwagon so late? Especially given the fact that most people consider the Chargers to be the front runners in the AFC. If I were just a bandwagon fan, wouldn't I be behind the Chargers or Cowboys instead?

thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs

Post by thejuggernaut »

poizond13 wrote:I never saw the need to discuss sports on a music based message board. I've been a member of the Colts forum for years, and that's where I primarily discuss the team. It wasn't until recently that I realized that there was some pretty good sports discussion here on sludge. Your explanation of me "branching out" is bizarre and could only come from an idiot such as yourself.
So, you never saw the need to discuss sports on a music forum. You've been here for years and only RECENTLY realized there were some good sports discussions. But, the notion of you "branching out" is idiotic ? What's idiotic is that the Locker Room has been here for years with plenty of great discussions and you only checked it out within the last 30 days yet, apparently, finally looking outside of the Gossip Board and the Lounge isn't "branching out" .

Do you even think things through or do you just spew them without regard for how retarded they sound ? Perhaps you took your definition of "branching out" from the same dictionary that told you less than capacity is jam packed.

poizond13 wrote:As I've explained numerous times, and hopefully this will be the last, I've been a diehard Colts fan since 1995. What really cemented my status as a diehard Colts fan was the 1995 AFC Championship game, when the Colts came within a play from advancing to the Superbowl. Since then I've been a Colts fan and a fan of no other NFL team. I've been a fan through 2 consecutive 3-13 seasons. I never questioned the team when they chose Edgerrin James over Ricky Williams, which at the time many thought was a big mistake. And when the Colts faced the Bears in the Superbowl, it would have been much easier for me to root for the home town team, given the fact that everyone I knew was giving me shit for wearing my Colts gear and rooting against the bears. Nonetheless, I wore my Colts gear everyday that week, and endured plenty of dirty looks and angry comments from Bears fans around town. So I do take offense to anyone saying I am a "fair weather fan." That couldn't be further from the truth.
So you became a fan during their Cinderella season ?
poizond13 wrote:What's more, if I were a bandwagon fair weather fan, why would I become a Colts fan NOW, when they've been by far the most dominant team of the past decade?? Why would I be hopping on the bandwagon so late? Especially given the fact that most people consider the Chargers to be the front runners in the AFC. If I were just a bandwagon fan, wouldn't I be behind the Chargers or Cowboys instead?
They haven't been "by far" the most dominant team this past decade.

The Colts are 115-45

The Pats are 112-48

They are the most successful regular season team. In fact, they only clinched that distinction the same month your Colts fandom was revealed.

Interesting.

Also interesting is your choice of words. "What's more, if I were a bandwagon fair weather fan, why would I become a Colts fan NOW, when they've been by far the most dominant team of the past decade?? Why would I be hopping on the bandwagon so late?"

Um, that's what bandwagon and fairweather fans do.