The official NHL thread

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

doctordestructo
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Re: The official NHL thread

Post by doctordestructo »

Ryan Miller's Team U.S.A. goalie mask:

pieceofme
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by pieceofme »

doctordestructo wrote:Ryan Miller's Team U.S.A. goalie mask:

Well thats a good reason to support any team playing the US. :lol:
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
Supersonic
Showcasing for A&R Reps

Post by Supersonic »

Just moved from the UK to Vancouver about a month ago, so as they are the local team I've adopted the Canucks. I saw them beat the Oilers at GM Place back in Oct 08 so I've already popped my cherry so to speak.

However, I'm on catch up and not really had time yet to study what is going on this season outside the North Western division.

Can you help a newbie out and give me a low down on which teams are holding their own above their usual level and moreso, which teams have been a disappointment with regards to their potential?

And who would you put money on to win the Stanley Cup this year?

Cheers
krazeebaybee

Post by krazeebaybee »

Supersonic wrote:And who would you put money on to win the Stanley Cup this year? Cheers
The Leafs...d'uh! :lol:

All kidding aside, nhl.com and tsn.ca are 2 decent sites for updates and such.
There are tons of little sites, (I'm at work, don't have them listed in my faves here) that have updates, sometimes via Twitter and the like, that are more accurate than the 'big name' sites.
When I get home I can post some of them.
You'll do it the way any self-respecting woman does. Lay on your back, point your heels to Jesus and think of handbags.
Supersonic
Showcasing for A&R Reps

Post by Supersonic »

krazeebaybee wrote:
Supersonic wrote:And who would you put money on to win the Stanley Cup this year? Cheers
The Leafs...d'uh! :lol:

All kidding aside, nhl.com and tsn.ca are 2 decent sites for updates and such.
There are tons of little sites, (I'm at work, don't have them listed in my faves here) that have updates, sometimes via Twitter and the like, that are more accurate than the 'big name' sites.
When I get home I can post some of them.
That would be really cool. Thanks.
doctordestructo

Kings beat the Rangers last night... 7 in a row :twisted:
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Supersonic wrote:Just moved from the UK to Vancouver about a month ago, so as they are the local team I've adopted the Canucks. I saw them beat the Oilers at GM Place back in Oct 08 so I've already popped my cherry so to speak.

However, I'm on catch up and not really had time yet to study what is going on this season outside the North Western division.

Can you help a newbie out and give me a low down on which teams are holding their own above their usual level and moreso, which teams have been a disappointment with regards to their potential?

Cheers
The Blackhawks.
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
chungasrevenge
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by chungasrevenge »

Kovalchuk to the Kings?

EDIT:

I guess not. Somebody sign him already!

C'mon BRUINS!!!
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Supersonic wrote:Just moved from the UK to Vancouver about a month ago, so as they are the local team I've adopted the Canucks. I saw them beat the Oilers at GM Place back in Oct 08 so I've already popped my cherry so to speak.

Cheers
A look at the standings should give you a good idea of who the favorites are, although every year it seems theres a team that makes a run of it, from out of nowhere, and does some damage in the playoffs.

You'd have to say that Washington/Chicago are the favorites to represent their conferences in the final. If that happens, it would be GREAT for hockey. Two young, fast, exciting/offensive teams - nothing could be better.

Other contenders would be: San Jose, Vancouver (though this 14 game road trip their on, due to the Olympics, might be the end of them), New Jersey, and Pittsburgh.

Surprises this year have been: Los Angeles (they'll be a power house soon), Colorado, Phoenix, Nashville, the NY Islanders, and maybe Buffalo.

The big disappointments are: Detroit, St. Louis, Columbus, Edmonton (big time), Calgary, Anaheim, Montreal (sigh), Boston (injuries have killed them), Toronto, Philly, and Carolina.

Everyone else is more or less where people thought they'd be.

Hope this helps. Enjoy the games.
Tommy
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Tommy »

chungasrevenge wrote:Kovalchuk to the Kings?

EDIT:

C'mon BRUINS!!!

Apparently Waddell won't let potential trading partners negotiate a deal prior to a trade for Kovalchuk. Each day that goes by hurts Atlanta more and more. McKenzie was saying they want a top 6 fwd, a top 4 d, a prospect and a #1.

All that and you can't negotiate w/ the guy? Fuck that. Heading towards a Bouwmeester/Florida situation real soon.
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

WOLF wrote:

Cheers
A look at the standings should give you a good idea of who the favorites are, although every year it seems theres a team that makes a run of it, from out of nowhere, and does some damage in the playoffs.

You'd have to say that Washington/Chicago are the favorites to represent their conferences in the final. If that happens, it would be GREAT for hockey. Two young, fast, exciting/offensive teams - nothing could be better.

Other contenders would be: San Jose, Vancouver (though this 14 game road trip their on, due to the Olympics, might be the end of them), New Jersey, and Pittsburgh.

Surprises this year have been: Los Angeles (they'll be a power house soon), Colorado, Phoenix, Nashville, the NY Islanders, and maybe Buffalo.

The big disappointments are: Detroit, St. Louis, Columbus, Edmonton (big time), Calgary, Anaheim, Montreal (sigh), Boston (injuries have killed them), Toronto, Philly, and Carolina.

how can toronto be considered a disappointment?

everyone knows they're going to suck every year.
Supersonic
Showcasing for A&R Reps

Post by Supersonic »

WOLF wrote:

Cheers

Cool, that's a great help. Thanks.
chungasrevenge

Post by chungasrevenge »

Tommy wrote:
chungasrevenge wrote:Kovalchuk to the Kings?

EDIT:

C'mon BRUINS!!!

Apparently Waddell won't let potential trading partners negotiate a deal prior to a trade for Kovalchuk. Each day that goes by hurts Atlanta more and more. McKenzie was saying they want a top 6 fwd, a top 4 d, a prospect and a #1.

All that and you can't negotiate w/ the guy? Fuck that. Heading towards a Bouwmeester/Florida situation real soon.
Yeah, that's a lot for somebody who might head to the KHL after the season.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Atlanta is playing it cool, but don't be fooled - they have to trade him before the Olympics. If they don't, and he gets hurt at that tournament, and he becomes untradeable, that's the end of the franchise. Could you imagine if they get nothing for him and he walks?

He'll get traded this week. A mini bidding war will ensue and Waddell will take the best offer on the table.
Tymaster

Post by Tymaster »

Hitchcock fired and the city of C-Bus fears that the franchise will soon be gone....................
LouDoo wrote:Neon has to be the most active poster who actually contributes the least, despite all the threads he starts. He has no redeeming value. He's completely useless.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Kovalchuk to the Devils for Oduya, Bergfors, Cormier (in junior), and 1st rounder.

Color the Thrashers gone in three years. This return is nothing - much like the Hossa deal. Waddell cut off his nose, to spite his face, by not letting teams negotiate with Kovalchuk. There is no face of the franchise in Atlanta now.

Oduya is a nice, stay at home d-man, Bergfors and Cormier have potential, but aren't considered future 1st liners, and the Devils pick will be late in the first round. I can't believe that Boston, LA, Chicago, et all couldn't have offered more given the chance to negotiate.
Royal Dudeness
Headlining Clubs

Post by Royal Dudeness »

WOLF wrote:Kovalchuk to the Devils for Oduya, Bergfors, Cormier (in junior), and 1st rounder.

Color the Thrashers gone in three years. This return is nothing - much like the Hossa deal. Waddell cut off his nose, to spite his face, by not letting teams negotiate with Kovalchuk. There is no face of the franchise in Atlanta now.

Oduya is a nice, stay at home d-man, Bergfors and Cormier have potential, but aren't considered future 1st liners, and the Devils pick will be late in the first round. I can't believe that Boston, LA, Chicago, et all couldn't have offered more given the chance to negotiate.
Waddell's an idiot and the Thrashers are as good as gone. They should have NEVER had a team to begin with. Honestly, an NHL team in fucking Atlanta Georgia. Give me a break. There's better places in both the states and Canada for NHL teams than Georgia. Rumour has it, the Thrashers might end up in Winnipeg. Here's to hopin the return of the Jets is at hand!
Punk
Headlining Clubs

Post by Punk »

Shit

Can anyone skate with that team now? So much for Pittsburgh's 2 year reign in the East.
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

kovi turned down $101 million over 12 years in atlanta so he could go to........new jersey? with lemaire?

atlanta got next to nothing in return?

it's a rental. he'll be a ranger next year.

waddel really fucked up by not letting others teams talk contract with him. that scared off a lot of teams.

k.w.
hockey sock rock
chungasrevenge

Post by chungasrevenge »

The 3K fans of the Thrashers must be pissed. What a joke. Now we get another Kovalchuk sweepstakes at the end of the year.

Anyone need cheap tickets for the B's/Canucks game on Saturday?

thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs
Location: Of course you can't stand gay people. Check out your own animated sig, you fucking idiot - Moggio

Post by thejuggernaut »

Anne_Thrax
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by Anne_Thrax »

FUCK EVERYONE
Anne_Thrax
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by Anne_Thrax »

Royal Dudeness wrote:Rumour has it, the Thrashers might end up in Winnipeg.

fuck, MARTA doesn't go to Winnipeg
doctordestructo

The Kings lost out on the Kovalchuk sweepstakes but did win their 8th in a row last night :twisted:
Aerosmith87
Opening Act in Arenas

Post by Aerosmith87 »

Devils.
SkyDog112046
Headlining Clubs

Post by SkyDog112046 »

Wow, who would have predicted that the Bruins would have trouble scoring goals after they traded their best scoring threat? Coming on the heels of trading their franchise player just a few years prior. No way guys like Joe Thornton(71 points) or Phil Kessel(18 goals in 45 games) could have helped.

Guys that score goals want to be paid, and the skin-flint owner can't stomach it. You know what that means - time to blame the goalies for all the 3-2 and 2-1 losses! Fuck Jeremy Jacobs
SkyDog112046
Headlining Clubs

Post by SkyDog112046 »

chungasrevenge wrote:Looks like Chirelli finally made a move:

No, the deal fell through. The monkey wanted to renegotiate. He asked for 1 banana per game and Jacobs said "No, you'll eat shit, just like the fans have since I bought the team."
Gibsonite
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Gibsonite »

SkyDog112046 wrote:Wow, who would have predicted that the Bruins would have trouble scoring goals after they traded their best scoring threat? Coming on the heels of trading their franchise player just a few years prior. No way guys like Joe Thornton(71 points) or Phil Kessel(18 goals in 45 games) could have helped.

Guys that score goals want to be paid, and the skin-flint owner can't stomach it. You know what that means - time to blame the goalies for all the 3-2 and 2-1 losses! Fuck Jeremy Jacobs
The B's are in a similar situation as the Hawks were a few years back.They won't go anywhere until their cheapskate owner takes the big dirt nap..
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

News just surfacing that the 21-year old son of Leafs' GM Brian Burke has been killed in a car accident.

Love or hate Burke and the Leafs, some things transcend sports and rivalries. What a horrible tragedy. Every parent's worst nightmare. RIP Brendan Burke and courage to the Burke family.
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

WOLF wrote:News just surfacing that the 21-year old son of Leafs' GM Brian Burke has been killed in a car accident.

Love or hate Burke and the Leafs, some things transcend sports and rivalries. What a horrible tragedy. Every parent's worst nightmare. RIP Brendan Burke and courage to the Burke family.
is that the kid that came out a few months back?

rough year for burke.