Dear ESPN

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

SkyDog112046
Headlining Clubs

Dear ESPN

Post by SkyDog112046 »

Stop trying to cram World Cup Soccer down our throats 24-7. No matter how you try to spin it, we are just not interested in it here to the level that would justify the coverage you are giving it. Save that for overseas where they want it, or put it on ESPN Espanol here. Nothing more than a quick rundown of the scores on the sports ticker is needed here, although I suppose you can run replays of the US team's games at 3:00 am for the 8 or 10 people that want to watch it.

We tune in to catch MLB & college baseball highlights, Tiger Woods & the PGA, and until recently basketball and hockey highlights. It really isn't necessary to give it the NFL Today treatment with 3 or 4 commentators talking about a 0-0 tie between 2 countries most of your audience couldn't find on a map. Speaking of NFL, feel free to substitute minicamp coverage for the soccer stuff you are showing us now. Actually, feel free to substitute anything involving a football for the soccer coverage - NFL news, college news, arena football, hell even replays of the Lingerie Bowl would be preferable.

PS. You can get rid of WNBA coverage too.

PPS. Please feel free to use Stuart Scott and Chris Berman as fill for that oil well in the gulf.
MickeyG
Doing 20 Questions with Metal Sludge

Re: Dear ESPN

Post by MickeyG »

Are they showing it on ESPN and ESPN2 both at the same time?
Chevyman
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by Chevyman »

I'd shoot myself before having to sit in a stadium with a final score of

0-0

most of us Americans don't give a shit about a girlie sport anyways
WhiteHouseSubsAC
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by WhiteHouseSubsAC »

LOL at Lickety thinking he represents America's views. Hey dumbass, I'd like to not see as much Red Sox Nation coverage but it always seems to get shoved down my throat. LOL, you want college baseball and PGA highlights? How about some bowling in there while you're at it? The only thing you represent is the stereotypical ignorant vain ugly American sports watcher who starts twitching with advanced ADHD if the scoreboard isn't spinning like a pinball machine.
HeavyMetalZombie666 wrote:Of course your asshole is going to be sore when you volunteer for an asspounding and not set any boundaries at all.
ElectricEye90
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by ElectricEye90 »

A TV channel such as ESPN would never hop on board the World Cup bandwagon unless there were some proof that people are interested in Soccer.

This is the first WC i can say has been really popular over here. The bars all over NYC have all the flags of the countries and a flag that says it's an official spot to watch World Cup Matches. This is the first time I've seen people on their lunch break standing outside bars looking at the screens rooting for USA, mind you inside the bar there's more than one person with the flag wrapped around them. So yeah, Soccer will never ever replace our homegrown games but Americans are interested in the World Cup and that's a fact.
Rageman
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Rageman »

Yes, please show more Michael Vick or Tiger Woods or Pacman Jones stories. Maybe they can talk to idiots like Bean-o Cook about college conference expansion and retraction and show more of those awesome weekly world poker championships, I can't get enough of those. If only they had an hour of just Karl Ravech and web gems showing us more and more plays where no one scores over and over.

And because you and your friends can't find Algeria on a map definitely means that they shouldn't educate you or enlighten you. There should never be any programming for people that don't drool, I think there's a World's Strongest Man marathon coming up that you might want to check out.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
WhiteHouseSubsAC

It's great...the World Cup happens once every four years and mesomorphs like Lickety are complaining that their Jim Rome and PTI are getting interrupted. Other than the occasional MLS game, soccer IS relegated to ESPN 3 at 4 AM. Man, I can't wait until the World Cup is over, I miss Tony Kornheiser SO FUCKING MUCH.
HeavyMetalZombie666 wrote:Of course your asshole is going to be sore when you volunteer for an asspounding and not set any boundaries at all.
BozoMcMetal
Headlining Clubs

Post by BozoMcMetal »

Hell yeah, football is way more entertaining, with 10 minutes of actual playing time in a 3 hour telecast.

Git r done brother!
SkyDog112046
Headlining Clubs

Post by SkyDog112046 »

BozoMcMetal wrote:Hell yeah, football is way more entertaining, with 10 minutes of actual playing time in a 3 hour telecast.

Git r done brother!
Football is easily the best sport for television viewing. It translates much better to TV coverage than most sports.
MickeyG

Post by MickeyG »

Too many commercials and not enough game time in football. It's awesome if you need to keep getting up to take a piss or get another beer or bag of Doritos though.
JakeYonkel
Headlining Clubs

Post by JakeYonkel »

Soccer does suck, but who the hell still watches ESPN anymore? Why's this even an issue?

I understand that for the rest of the world this is a huge deal... I get it. Most countries just aren't competitive enough in other sports on the level that they are with soccer. I understand.

But yeah, getting back to what I was first saying, with the Internet and smartphones etc etc etc I don't think I've actually watched ESPN (aside from Sunday night baseball) in a year or two, at least. It's crap.

And football does make for a better, more watchable product than any other sport, but it's so fucking slow with so many commercials that it's impossible to sit through a game.
MurrayFiend
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by MurrayFiend »

Soccer isn't really my thing, but I'll watch the final.
HeavyMetalZombie666 wrote:Any chicks on this board like Sean Connery or Roger Moore?
BozoMcMetal
Headlining Clubs

Post by BozoMcMetal »

SkyDog112046 wrote:
BozoMcMetal wrote:Hell yeah, football is way more entertaining, with 10 minutes of actual playing time in a 3 hour telecast.

Git r done brother!
Football is easily the best sport for television viewing. It translates much better to TV coverage than most sports.

Presentation doesn't make it any less boring.
soulonfire
Headlining Clubs

Post by soulonfire »

Who watches soccer on ESPN? Watch that shit on Univision. The announcers are actually into the game. Over on ESPN (and ABC) the announcers sound like they're on Prozac.
Danzig in the Dark wrote:Roadhead, you are the Jar Jar Binks of Metal Sludge.
MickeyG

Post by MickeyG »

soulonfire wrote:Who watches soccer on ESPN? Watch that shit on Univision. The announcers are actually into the game. Over on ESPN (and ABC) the announcers sound like they're on Prozac.
They've been using Ian Darke and Martin Tyler on ESPN and ABC. Neither of those 2 are bad commentators.
bigbuttskinner
Headlining Clubs

Post by bigbuttskinner »

SkyDog112046 wrote:Stop trying to cram World Cup Soccer down our throats 24-7. No matter how you try to spin it, we are just not interested in it here to the level that would justify the coverage you are giving it. Save that for overseas where they want it, or put it on ESPN Espanol here. Nothing more than a quick rundown of the scores on the sports ticker is needed here, although I suppose you can run replays of the US team's games at 3:00 am for the 8 or 10 people that want to watch it.

We tune in to catch MLB & college baseball highlights, Tiger Woods & the PGA, and until recently basketball and hockey highlights. It really isn't necessary to give it the NFL Today treatment with 3 or 4 commentators talking about a 0-0 tie between 2 countries most of your audience couldn't find on a map. Speaking of NFL, feel free to substitute minicamp coverage for the soccer stuff you are showing us now. Actually, feel free to substitute anything involving a football for the soccer coverage - NFL news, college news, arena football, hell even replays of the Lingerie Bowl would be preferable.

PS. You can get rid of WNBA coverage too.

PPS. Please feel free to use Stuart Scott and Chris Berman as fill for that oil well in the gulf.
I'm sick of it, too. Soccer sucks! In the USA we don't give a crap about that stupid "sport."
michelish wrote: VH album will be dropping first half of 2019. Album has been completed for a few months. They've been recording on and off since just after last tour.Finalizing title and artwork.
Nitrorulz wrote: I predict “The Dirt” will do double that.
referring to Queen movie
Tymaster

Post by Tymaster »

JakeYonkel wrote:Soccer does suck, but who the hell still watches ESPN anymore? Why's this even an issue?

I understand that for the rest of the world this is a huge deal... I get it. Most countries just aren't competitive enough in other sports on the level that they are with soccer. I understand.

But yeah, getting back to what I was first saying, with the Internet and smartphones etc etc etc I don't think I've actually watched ESPN (aside from Sunday night baseball) in a year or two, at least. It's crap.

And football does make for a better, more watchable product than any other sport, but it's so fucking slow with so many commercials that it's impossible to sit through a game.
Have you ever been to an NCAA game that was NOT televised? Most MAC games aren't, and it makes for a much smoother and quicker game. As much as love seeing the Bobcats get television exposure, I hate the extra hour I'm gonna be stuck in the stands during television timeouts.
LouDoo wrote:Neon has to be the most active poster who actually contributes the least, despite all the threads he starts. He has no redeeming value. He's completely useless.
SkyDog112046
Headlining Clubs

Post by SkyDog112046 »

JakeYonkel wrote:Soccer does suck, but who the hell still watches ESPN anymore? Why's this even an issue?
Sports Center. If you put Sports Center on at the top of the hour you can catch most of the highlights, major stories and scores in 10-15 minutes. Now with the world cup going on they have had commentators talking soccer at the top of the hour while little things like the NHL & NBA finals and no-hitters get pushed back. Sure if there is a US game they can lead off with it, but save the commentary for later on and certainly don't push back the stuff most people tune in to see for coverage of games that a very small group of people may actually be interested in.
demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

SkyDog112046 wrote:If you put Sports Center on at the top of the hour you can catch most of the highlights, major stories and scores in 10-15 minutes. Now with the world cup going on they have had commentators talking soccer at the top of the hour while little things like the NHL & NBA finals and no-hitters get pushed back.
WTF are you talking about?! We get US Sportscenter here (along with PTI/ROME/Around The Horn), and the stories on the NHL and NBA finals were always right up there in the front end of the shows. The World Cup was far from dominating.

Besides, right now, what's on in American sport? Basketball and Hockey are done, Football isn't for a few months, and it's not even the all-star break yet in baseball. So maybe the biggest worldwide sporting event of the year, which America is competing in, can get a little coverage for the millions in your country that do pay attention to it?

Meanwhile, you could always:

a) Tivo shows and skip to the bits you want.

b) Get up off your lard ass and do something else.
Moggio wrote:You see, the problem with you is that you act like I have no credibility or something.
PhoenixFlames wrote:AVATAR made 2.7 billion which (maths) is close to 3 x million millions!!!!!!
SkyDog112046
Headlining Clubs

Post by SkyDog112046 »

demolition23 wrote: Besides, right now, what's on in American sport?
Lots of things that don't end in a 0-0 tie. Like the 15 baseball games that were on yesterday, the college world series, the US Open, NASCAR road course race, Wimbleton starting, etc...

Maybe soccer fans would like NASCAR better if they could figure out a way to get all 43 cars to cross the finish line at the same time and then have a tire changing contest to pick a winner.
demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

SkyDog112046 wrote:
demolition23 wrote: Besides, right now, what's on in American sport?
Lots of things that don't end in a 0-0 tie. Like the 15 baseball games that were on yesterday, the college world series, the US Open, NASCAR road course race, Wimbleton starting, etc...

Maybe soccer fans would like NASCAR better if they could figure out a way to get all 43 cars to cross the finish line at the same time and then have a tire changing contest to pick a winner.
Again, I've found all of those things on ESPN's various news shows, no problem.
Moggio wrote:You see, the problem with you is that you act like I have no credibility or something.
PhoenixFlames wrote:AVATAR made 2.7 billion which (maths) is close to 3 x million millions!!!!!!
soulonfire
Headlining Clubs

Post by soulonfire »

MickeyG wrote:
soulonfire wrote:Who watches soccer on ESPN? Watch that shit on Univision. The announcers are actually into the game. Over on ESPN (and ABC) the announcers sound like they're on Prozac.
They've been using Ian Darke and Martin Tyler on ESPN and ABC. Neither of those 2 are bad commentators.
I know they're good commentators, just they're very quiet. Like when Brazil scored that first goal yesterday, they discussed it like they were announcing a golf game. Meanwhile, the Univision announcer was screaming his head off. Also, on Univision, you get quotes like this: "He didn't block it with his chest, he put it in a coma with his heart!". :lol:
Danzig in the Dark wrote:Roadhead, you are the Jar Jar Binks of Metal Sludge.
PowerSlaveToTheGrind
Made the Devil Cry

Post by PowerSlaveToTheGrind »

SkyDog112046 wrote:Wimbleton starting, etc...
I'm sorry, where?
NASCAR road course race
Now that is big news, cars that can turn left and right. Even more amazingly, something that managed to make Jacques Villeneuve look not rubbish.
Redman77
Beer & Titty King

Post by Redman77 »

Watch ESPN news, or don't you get that in your Pulte Home?
saracapri wrote: It's true. I'm wild for buttsex.
MickeyG

Post by MickeyG »

soulonfire wrote:
MickeyG wrote:
I know they're good commentators, just they're very quiet. Like when Brazil scored that first goal yesterday, they discussed it like they were announcing a golf game. Meanwhile, the Univision announcer was screaming his head off. Also, on Univision, you get quotes like this: "He didn't block it with his chest, he put it in a coma with his heart!". :lol:
I hear ya, I guess it's just that I'm used to more mellow commentators, seeing as I'm from the UK. They sometimes show those more vocal commentators on those comedy tv clip shows from around the world in the UK. We laugh at them shouting GGGGGOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAALLLLLL!!!! :lol:
nycyankee
Recording Debut Album

Post by nycyankee »

soulonfire wrote:
MickeyG wrote:

Univision announcers go crazy for balls that are 30 ft off goal(it pisses me off). I prefer the ESPN announcer that is calling Team U.S.A's games. He does a good job.
WhiteHouseSubsAC

Hey Lickety, what did you do all those years when NHL games ended in a tie? Or the NFL for that matter? I've never heard you run your suck about any of that?
BozoMcMetal
Headlining Clubs

Post by BozoMcMetal »

WhiteHouseSubsAC wrote:Hey Lickety, what did you do all those years when NHL games ended in a tie? Or the NFL for that matter? I've never heard you run your suck about any of that?

Dumbass, it's much better for a tied football game to be decided with a coin flip and then a field goal. That's way more exciting than some gay shootout.
Tymaster

Post by Tymaster »

WhiteHouseSubsAC wrote:Hey Lickety, what did you do all those years when NHL games ended in a tie? Or the NFL for that matter? I've never heard you run your suck about any of that?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xteNFaP0L4
LouDoo wrote:Neon has to be the most active poster who actually contributes the least, despite all the threads he starts. He has no redeeming value. He's completely useless.
Dana_Dubrow
Showcasing for A&R Reps

Post by Dana_Dubrow »

If you have Comcast, get the NFL Redzone channel. Constant touchdowns and sweet plays. It's really awesome if you play fantasy football.
acefrehleysbeer wrote:I got a new hot glue gun for X-mas so her fartbox will be glued shut if she dont!