***OFFICIAL*** 2010 FIFA WORLD CUP thread

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

MickeyG
Doing 20 Questions with Metal Sludge

Re: ***OFFICIAL*** 2010 FIFA WORLD CUP thread

Post by MickeyG »

That was shocking goalkeeping for the first US goal. Should never get beat like that from a tight angle.
el_nino
Picking a Band Name

Post by el_nino »

MickeyG wrote:I can't really argue against everyone's assessment on here of the England team and players, and of the fans' and press expectations and treatment. England are a bit like Liverpool of recent years where it has become a bit of a joke how their fans say at the start of the season, "This is our year."
mainly the press tbh, in both situations. I'm sure i've pulled you up on this before :D

I know of no Liverpool fans who thought we'd win the league this season - but the press don't interview and report balanced comments because they're, well, boring, they want something sensational. So with the S*n's headline after the WC draw;

England
Algeria
Slovenia
Yanks

it's a bit rich to now start slagging the team given they raised expectations in the first place! However, a headline of "group draw, looks good, hopefully we can do it but let's keep calm about it" is unlikely to sell papers.
Ugmo
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by Ugmo »

el_nino wrote:mainly the press tbh, in both situations. I'm sure i've pulled you up on this before :D

I know of no Liverpool fans who thought we'd win the league this season - but the press don't interview and report balanced comments because they're, well, boring, they want something sensational. So with the S*n's headline after the WC draw;

England
Algeria
Slovenia
Yanks

it's a bit rich to now start slagging the team given they raised expectations in the first place! However, a headline of "group draw, looks good, hopefully we can do it but let's keep calm about it" is unlikely to sell papers.

I was thinking about that headline. They really didn't do the English team any favors with that headline, because anything less than three demolitions of their opponents is considered a disappointment. But that's fine with the press, because they get their headlines and their money either way.
MickeyG

Post by MickeyG »

To be honest, i think that's an awesome headline! :lol:

I lol'd when I first saw it. But you're right, it doesn't do the team any favours. But the British press has always been the same, whether it's sports or politics or whatever. They're always sensationalist, good or bad. I remember when Bush took office in 2000 and how the British press said what a bad thing it was.....wait, I guess they do get some things right! :mrgreen:
MickeyG

Post by MickeyG »

LOL, it's funny watching US tv in the aftermath of that disallowed goal.

The sports presenters keep going on about it and they keep showing it seemingly in the hope that FIFA are suddenly going to overturn the ref or something and let it stand. They were just talking about changing the rules and having stuff like this reviewable, like the NFL or some shit. Lalas and "Jigsaw" McManaman both said no way, fuckups and bad calls are part of the game. Bad calls are easier to stomach when it's not your team getting fucked.
WhiteHouseSubsAC
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by WhiteHouseSubsAC »

MickeyG wrote:LOL, it's funny watching US tv in the aftermath of that disallowed goal.

The sports presenters keep going on about it and they keep showing it seemingly in the hope that FIFA are suddenly going to overturn the ref or something and let it stand. They were just talking about changing the rules and having stuff like this reviewable, like the NFL or some shit. Lalas and "Jigsaw" McManaman both said no way, fuckups and bad calls are part of the game. Bad calls are easier to stomach when it's not your team getting fucked.
Yeah I agree that bad calls should be part of the game. What I WOULD like to see changed is a little more accountability for the referee decisions. It blew my mind that the officials don't have to specifically identify the penalty they call. Maybe its the constant game flow, but there needs to be more information. Also, FIFA not commenting on the incident is ridiculous.
HeavyMetalZombie666 wrote:Of course your asshole is going to be sore when you volunteer for an asspounding and not set any boundaries at all.
Hellsinkey
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Hellsinkey »

Denmark-Cameroon was one of the most interesting games so far.
SLASH1976
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by SLASH1976 »

Hellsinkey wrote:Denmark-Cameroon was one of the most interesting games so far.
True, probably the most fun match to watch so far.
SAVE THE EARTH IT'S THE ONLY PLANET WITH BEER

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy & paste him into your
(")_(") sig to help him gain world domination

MickeyG

Post by MickeyG »

WhiteHouseSubsAC wrote:
MickeyG wrote:LOL, it's funny watching US tv in the aftermath of that disallowed goal.

Yeah I agree that bad calls should be part of the game. What I WOULD like to see changed is a little more accountability for the referee decisions. It blew my mind that the officials don't have to specifically identify the penalty they call. Maybe its the constant game flow, but there needs to be more information. Also, FIFA not commenting on the incident is ridiculous.
It should be highlighted in their match report, but not during the game, unless the 4th official makes a comment to a sideline reporter based on the ref telling him what it was for over the ear pieces that they now wear. I guess if the ref says, "I saw shirt pulling, and it was enough to stop the player", then we'd all say, "Who did you see pulling?", and it's gonna start getting stupid because the people would show the video and say so-and-so wasn't pulling etc. The ref fucked up. Admitting it won't change it after the fact. FIFA say ref assessments are done after the tournament is over. This ref, will be getting a bad one.
coatsy
Opening for Slaughter

Post by coatsy »

rumours circulating on an english radio station that capello will resign if england fail to progrees to the 2nd phase.
MickeyG

Post by MickeyG »

Apparently they're having a clear the air meeting which sounds ominous.
Sleazyjack
Recording Your Demo

Post by Sleazyjack »

coatsy wrote:rumours circulating on an english radio station that capello will resign if england fail to progrees to the 2nd phase.

He bloody should as well if we don't get out of this group

with respect to the other 3 teams, it is an utter disgrace that we haven't qualified already - disgusting performances - big players not performing , Rooney is abysmal, Lampard has done nothing, Gerrard has been shite all season and has just carried on

best player in the first match was a striker who can;t score and in the second a defensive midfielder against the MIGHT of Algeria

disgraceful, disappointing and in Rooney's case he is a liitle disrepecting arragant fuck wit - no go score a hattrick on Wednesday or I will punch you !
MickeyG

Post by MickeyG »

Turmoil in the French camp as the team has now refused to train.
Sammi_Curr
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Sammi_Curr »

MickeyG wrote:LOL, it's funny watching US tv in the aftermath of that disallowed goal.........

Bad calls are easier to stomach when it's not your team getting fucked.
:D :D :D
el_nino
Picking a Band Name

Post by el_nino »

MickeyG wrote:Turmoil in the French camp as the team has now refused to train.
will anyone notice?! 8)
Hellsinkey

Post by Hellsinkey »

Italy was shite, another questionable penalty, like in 2006.
Hellsinkey

Post by Hellsinkey »

Apparently Evra threw a ball at assistant manager's face and the chief of France's football association has resigned. Oh, and Anelka told Domenech: "go screw yourself, dirty son of a whore". :lol:
Last edited by Hellsinkey on Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
MickeyG

Post by MickeyG »

Well defended, New Zealand.

I think this World Cup has shown that none of the teams in it are mugs. The Aussies got mauled by Germany, but then put in a decent show against Ghana who had beat the Serbs who in turn beat Germany. New Zealand has put in 2 massive performances.

It does seem for some reason the Europeans are the ones not performing. England, Italy, Spain, France should all have done better so far.
MickeyG

Post by MickeyG »

Hellsinkey wrote:
Apparently Evra threw a ball at assistant manager's face and the chief of France's football association has resigned. :lol:
Evra's known for being a bit crazy and sometimes eccentric.
el_nino
Picking a Band Name

Post by el_nino »

Ryan Nelson was utterly immense in that New Zealand game. The keeper played well too.

Brazil - Cote D'Ivoire coming up now, that's going to be a huge game, looking forward to it!
SexxAtraxxion
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by SexxAtraxxion »

ARGENTINA will win the cup.

We have the best current player (Messi)

The best current forwards (Milito, Tevez, Higuain)

Three fucking strong defenders (Demichelis, Samuel, Burdisso)

Probably one of the best "5" (Mascherano)

And the team is coached by the best player ever (Maradona)

Best regards,
the Sexx
My music library at last.fm:
https://www.last.fm/user/JonathanHalen
MickeyG

Post by MickeyG »

Brazil are making the Ivory Coast look simple right now.
arucho
Music Fan

Post by arucho »

:D

Post by SLASH1976 »

The ref was terrible in the Brazil - Ivory Coast match, why did he sent Kaka off ?
The first might be a yellow card but the second definitely not.

I can imagine that the French are somewhat open minded about a hand ball after the whole Ireland thing but the goal Fabiano scored it was pretty obvious he made a hand ball when controlling the ball. The best thing was that he seemed to ask Fabiano if he touched the ball with his hand, player goes no way dude, and he let's it rest. Like he was gonna say yes I made a hand ball :lol:
SAVE THE EARTH IT'S THE ONLY PLANET WITH BEER

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy & paste him into your
(")_(") sig to help him gain world domination

pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Sleazyjack wrote:
coatsy wrote:rumours circulating on an english radio station that capello will resign if england fail to progrees to the 2nd phase.

He bloody should as well if we don't get out of this group

with respect to the other 3 teams, it is an utter disgrace that we haven't qualified already - disgusting performances - big players not performing , Rooney is abysmal, Lampard has done nothing, Gerrard has been shite all season and has just carried on

best player in the first match was a striker who can;t score and in the second a defensive midfielder against the MIGHT of Algeria

disgraceful, disappointing and in Rooney's case he is a liitle disrepecting arragant fuck wit - no go score a hattrick on Wednesday or I will punch you !
Barry was one of the worst players in that game. Although in all fairness they were all pretty bad. MOTM was either Cole or Terry imo.
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
WhiteHouseSubsAC
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by WhiteHouseSubsAC »

MickeyG wrote:That was shocking goalkeeping for the first US goal. Should never get beat like that from a tight angle.
similar goal in the Brazil game today, except that guy just wound up and ripped it. Donovan placed his shot.
HeavyMetalZombie666 wrote:Of course your asshole is going to be sore when you volunteer for an asspounding and not set any boundaries at all.
demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

MickeyG wrote: New Zealand has put in 2 massive performances.

Wow... I thought the draw against Slovakia was as good as we could hope to manage. To draw with Italy is just jaw-dropping. Smeltz, Nelsen and Paston (the keeper, who stopped a penalty to get us into the tournament), were huge. I can't believe we managed to hold out Italy in a game they needed to win, and that we're still in contention with a game to go.
Moggio wrote:You see, the problem with you is that you act like I have no credibility or something.
PhoenixFlames wrote:AVATAR made 2.7 billion which (maths) is close to 3 x million millions!!!!!!
demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

Oh, and...

Capello: 6 million quid for two draws and one goal.
Herbert: 25 thousand quid for two draws and two goals.

Great post I saw on a news forum.

"David didn't slay Goliath..... but he kicked him in the nuts and ran away laughing."
Moggio wrote:You see, the problem with you is that you act like I have no credibility or something.
PhoenixFlames wrote:AVATAR made 2.7 billion which (maths) is close to 3 x million millions!!!!!!
MickeyG

Post by MickeyG »

demolition23 wrote:Oh, and...

Capello: 6 million quid for two draws and one goal.
Herbert: 25 thousand quid for two draws and two goals.

Great post I saw on a news forum.

"David didn't slay Goliath..... but he kicked him in the nuts and ran away laughing."
Yeah, but New Zealand probably wouldn't have qualified out of England's qualification group.
Sammi_Curr
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Sammi_Curr »