***OFFICIAL*** 2010 FIFA WORLD CUP thread

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

MickeyG
Doing 20 Questions with Metal Sludge

Re: ***OFFICIAL*** 2010 FIFA WORLD CUP thread

Post by MickeyG »

At least the Mexicans try to play decent football. Not that Argentina doesn't too, but there are far more obnoxious teams than Mexico.
uwec95
Headlining Clubs

Post by uwec95 »

Bidokan wrote:
mullet_head wrote:You know, I'm happy the yanks went trough.

Even with Americans don't giving a shit about football, stolen goals and shit, they really are a decent team, and have showed heart and a great amount of resolve. Gotta respect that.

I hope they defeat Ghana, and I think they will.

It's funny you mention that, I was thinking the same today, North Americans claim to hate football (soccer), boring, stupid, etc. but here is the fucking rage with the hicks, they know every position, every rule, make all sorts of bets even with other teams, know who the stars from other countries are, shit, I like football and don't know half the names.

I called a friend in Denver, another in San Francisco, another in Utah, and they tell me the same thing, crackers are soccer crazy,

Other than that, I hope Argentina obliterates Mejicu.

I'm going to a friends house this Sunday, wearing my Messi shirt, ready to stir some shit in a room full of Tecates, so if you see in the Sunday evening news some guy killed by beaners in a house party, it was probably me.
I love World Cup soccer, but couldn't give two shits about professional soccer here in America. I do follow the Premier League though, as do a shit load of Americans. The level of soccer overseas is just so much better (and we now have easy access to it because of technology) that following an inferior American soccer product isn't appealing.

Here's a great compilation video of various reactions to the winning goal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbn3rOPmR9w

Even if you're not a fan of soccer, that video is pretty fucking cool.
Supersonic
Showcasing for A&R Reps

Post by Supersonic »

That video clip was way cool. Always love those moments.

But remember, according to the thread on the Gossip Board, soccer is gay and watching ping pong is better.
Bidokan
Playing in a Garage

Post by Bidokan »

MickeyG wrote:At least the Mexicans try to play decent football. Not that Argentina doesn't too, but there are far more obnoxious teams than Mexico.
My problem is not with the team, but with the mexican fans, I have never seen a more overhyped over commercialized team, where they are depicted as ultimate warriors and deserving holders of all football cups, when in fact they are a decent team, nothing more, nothing less.

Just today I came to the office and already heard how unfair the game is going to be because the referee will favor Argentina, and how they are better but Argentina gets the "lucky goals" bla bla bla.

I have never seen such sore losers in my life, they make the little baseball league breakouts look like a picnic.
Ugmo
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by Ugmo »

uwec95 wrote:I love World Cup soccer, but couldn't give two shits about professional soccer here in America. I do follow the Premier League though, as do a shit load of Americans. The level of soccer overseas is just so much better (and we now have easy access to it because of technology) that following an inferior American soccer product isn't appealing.
That seems incredibly short-sighted to me. You're what they call on Big Soccer a Eurosnob. Are you going to let other people do what it takes following "inferior" soccer to get it to the level at which it's worth your time? There is some damn exciting soccer in MLS. Yeah, hardly any of the players are world-class, but so what? The league really isn't that bad, especially considering it's only 15 years old. And there are plenty of shitty games in the Premier League too. Not every game is Chelsea vs. ManU.

And it's really only a handful of leagues in the world that are "just so much better" top to bottom. MLS is probably on par with the Eredivisie, the Portuguese League, the Greek league once you discount the outliers (the two or three teams in each of those leagues that determine the championship between them each year).
Last edited by Ugmo on Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ugmo

Post by Ugmo »

Bidokan wrote:My problem is not with the team, but with the mexican fans, I have never seen a more overhyped over commercialized team, where they are depicted as ultimate warriors and deserving holders of all football cups, when in fact they are a decent team, nothing more, nothing less.
Never? Have you ever seen England? One semifinal appearance in 44 years and each time they think they're the odds-on favorite to win it all.
MickeyG

Post by MickeyG »

It's more sarcastic optimism than outright expecting to win everything, Ugmo.

We'll say things like "Shit on the Krauts on Sunday!" when we know it's gonna be tough. Sure, the media hypes the team, but the media isn't the public.
ElectricEye90
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by ElectricEye90 »

:lol: :lol: @ "Some Dude in Arkansas"

I already bought a shirt and a big flag and will be catching the game somewhere in NYC, I've already partied with some Brazilians but I wanna be able to cheer for MY team.

I am kind of excited, I really hope we can win
Hellsinkey
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Hellsinkey »

Looking at the coming games... Usa has a chance of reaching semi-finals, but there will be Brazil or Holland too, I think. Spain or Portugal has a good chance of reaching semi-finals. Desperate for England, first it would have to beat Germany and then Argentina for the semis. Can't speculate further yet.
Sammi_Curr
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Sammi_Curr »

Algerian fan blows in friends ear with a Vuvuzela

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSGXivid ... re=related

Vuvuzela sounds sorta like how Charlie Brown's parents voice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omne1uHA ... re=related
Ugmo

Post by Ugmo »

Sammi_Curr wrote:Algerian fan blows in friends ear with a Vuvuzela

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSGXivid ... re=related
:lol:

You know the guy on the left is going "Come on dude, that's not funny."

Landon Donovan has seen the "Some guy in Arkansas" video. This is what he said on facebook:
Not sure if you guys saw this but it brings tears to my eyes every time. Thank you all so much...we can't do it without you guys. Believe.
Bidokan
Playing in a Garage

Post by Bidokan »

Anybody else thinks Lazil-Portugal was fixed?

Spain is finally displaying their game level, although I'm sad Chile lost.
Sammi_Curr

Post by Sammi_Curr »

Ugmo wrote:[

Landon Donovan has seen the "Some guy in Arkansas" video. This is what he said on facebook:
Not sure if you guys saw this but it brings tears to my eyes every time. Thank you all so much...we can't do it without you guys. Believe.
America needs a new chant lol
USA!, USA!, USA!
Ugmo

Post by Ugmo »

Sammi_Curr wrote:America needs a new chant lol
USA!, USA!, USA!
Yeah, probably, but it'll never happen if England still chant "En-ger-land, En-ger-land, En-ger-land" and the Krauts still chant "Deutsch-land! Deutsch-land!"
Sammi_Curr

Post by Sammi_Curr »

Lesson one.

clap, clap, clap
USA!
clap, clap, clap
USA!
nycyankee
Recording Debut Album

Post by nycyankee »

Bidokan wrote:
MickeyG wrote:At least the Mexicans try to play decent football. Not that Argentina doesn't too, but there are far more obnoxious teams than Mexico.
My problem is not with the team, but with the mexican fans, I have never seen a more overhyped over commercialized team, where they are depicted as ultimate warriors and deserving holders of all football cups, when in fact they are a decent team, nothing more, nothing less.

Just today I came to the office and already heard how unfair the game is going to be because the referee will favor Argentina, and how they are better but Argentina gets the "lucky goals" bla bla bla.

I have never seen such sore losers in my life, they make the little baseball league breakouts look like a picnic.

Not all Mexicans fans act like this, my gardener thinks they suck.
Rageman
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Rageman »

If you're gonna have a chant to piss off foreigners then try . . .

Clap
Clap
Clap-clap-clap
Clap-clap-clap-clap
GEORGE BUSH!
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Ugmo

Post by Ugmo »

Rageman wrote:If you're gonna have a chant to piss off foreigners then try . . .

Clap
Clap
Clap-clap-clap
Clap-clap-clap-clap
GEORGE BUSH!

We need to win the whole freakin thing so that we can do a "Two George Bushes, one World Cup" chant!
Sammi_Curr

Post by Sammi_Curr »

MickeyG

Post by MickeyG »

Ugmo's right, maybe some extra chants would be nice for the US crowd, but your staple chants should always be busted out at either big games or when you're winning. It's no different to club football like when Liverpool bust out you'll never walk alone, Shitty City - Blue Moon or Glory Glory Man United.

Dunno if I'll be glued to the tv today, I've got some stuff I want to get done and tomorrow is out as England are playing.

Bidokan, stuff like what happened in the Brazil game always happens in a situation like that. If both teams are just happy to go through then they settle for a draw. Footballers are inherently lazy, they only exert enough energy to do what needs to be done, especially at the top level. They play so many games though that maybe it is smarter to take it easy when you can. One injury and you're done.
MickeyG

Post by MickeyG »

My earlier assessment of South Korea not being good enough up front has been evident again against Uruguay. They're pretty decent up to the box, but lack the quality where it really counts.
Sammi_Curr

Post by Sammi_Curr »

Ugmo wrote:
Rageman wrote:If you're gonna have a chant to piss off foreigners then try . . .

Clap
Clap
Clap-clap-clap
Clap-clap-clap-clap
GEORGE BUSH!

We need to win the whole freakin thing so that we can do a "Two George Bushes, one World Cup" chant!

America...
America...
America, FUCK YEAH!
Coming again, to save the mother fucking day yeah,
America, FUCK YEAH!
Freedom is the only way yeah,
Terrorist your game is through cause now you have to answer too,
America, FUCK YEAH!
So lick my butt, and suck on my balls,
America, FUCK YEAH!

McDonalds, FUCK YEAH!
Wal-Mart, FUCK YEAH!
The Gap, FUCK YEAH!
Baseball, FUCK YEAH!
NFL, FUCK, YEAH!
Rock and roll, FUCK YEAH!
The Internet, FUCK YEAH!
Slavery, FUCK YEAH!
Supersonic
Showcasing for A&R Reps

Post by Supersonic »

Well Weezer have made a US soccer song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7nCt6vWOxQ

Surprised Bert Michaels hasn't jumped on this bandwagon.
MickeyG

Post by MickeyG »

Ghana's keeper kept them in it when it mattered. I feel sorry for the Ghana dude that got booked when Americas version of Emile Heskey (Altidore), tripped over his own feet and and won a free kick. Dude now misses the next match.
nycyankee
Recording Debut Album

Post by nycyankee »

MickeyG wrote:Ghana's keeper kept them in it when it mattered. I feel sorry for the Ghana dude that got booked when Americas version of Emile Heskey (Altidore), tripped over his own feet and and won a free kick. Dude now misses the next match.

FUCK GHANA. GO URUGUAY!!

Stupid Ghanans and their acting. Team USA choked away a victory today. If they actually played in the 1st half instead of waiting to do it in the 2nd half (like they always do), they would have won this match easily. I never believed they had a chance at the cup, but I did think anything less of a quarterfinal appearance was a failure.THEY FAILED MISERABLY. I don't think I will bother watching them in the next world cup. It is a waste of time.
MickeyG

Post by MickeyG »

C'mon dude, it wasn't that bad. Ghana's keeper was their best player for me. Sometimes it doesn't go your way. Look at Italy and France. They are in total disarray after their performances. The US were far better.
BlackieVanHolmes

Post by BlackieVanHolmes »

As Mickey said, their keeper kept them in it. On another day the US could have got the lucky breaks...just one of those things.
BlairSurfInvasion wrote:My dick is hard and I am truly at war with satan.
nycyankee
Recording Debut Album

Post by nycyankee »

MickeyG wrote:C'mon dude, it wasn't that bad. Ghana's keeper was their best player for me. Sometimes it doesn't go your way. Look at Italy and France. They are in total disarray after their performances. The US were far better.

Italy and France have both won world cups. It would be nice if the U.S for once exceeded people's expectations.

The reason Soccer is not big in the U.S is because Americans know their team and league sucks.

U.S soccer actually regressed. We reached the quarterfinals in 2002.
MickeyG

Post by MickeyG »

I think you're being harsh there, nycyankee.

They finished top of their group for the first time since 1930.
demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

nycyankee wrote:
MickeyG wrote:C'mon dude, it wasn't that bad. Ghana's keeper was their best player for me. Sometimes it doesn't go your way. Look at Italy and France. They are in total disarray after their performances. The US were far better.

Italy and France have both won world cups. It would be nice if the U.S for once exceeded people's expectations.

The reason Soccer is not big in the U.S is because Americans know their team and league sucks.

U.S soccer actually regressed. We reached the quarterfinals in 2002.
Ehhh... Your team will have ups and downs in international sport, particularly in a once every four years event. Doesn't mean that US soccer as a whole has regressed. Nor was it the sort of performance that should make a fan give up on their national side...
Moggio wrote:You see, the problem with you is that you act like I have no credibility or something.
PhoenixFlames wrote:AVATAR made 2.7 billion which (maths) is close to 3 x million millions!!!!!!