The 2010 Official Canadian Football League (CFL) thread

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

The 2010 Official Canadian Football League (CFL) thread

Post by WOLF »

OK guys, time to come out of hibernation, the exibition season is underway and soon the games will count for real.

I'm taking my 5-year old son to his first Als game today, an exhibition match vs. the Argos, just to gauge his interest level. Today is the inaugral game in the expanded/renovated McGill stadium.

Als still look strong this year. We'll see if there's a Grey Cup hangover when they start the season with three straight, tough Western road games.

Brian Chiu retiring on the eve of training camp hurt, but Paul Lambert is a veteran guard in the league and should be able to fill in admirably.

Enjoy the season boys. Let's try and make a few converts of these "NFL is the only real league" people!
Last edited by WOLF on Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Heenan Snuka
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Re: The 2010 Official Canadian Football League (CFL) thread

Post by Heenan Snuka »

why dont u tell us when the real season starts...and ends
Stoner wrote:
...we stopped at a restaurant to eat and I was wearing a Sludge shirt. Someone came up and asked me if I read the messageboard - I touched cloth for a split second and then said the shirt was my husband's and just looked at them retardedly.
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

the lions best player through camp will be on the bench.

travis lulay.

tough loss today. wally doesn't give a shit aboot ex games though. i hope the offensive line is better and the defense can tackle running backs this season.

k.w.
printers will suck
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

BUMP - season starts on Thursday. Prediction time:

The East should be more competitive this year, but the Als are still the class of the division. They will start slow, with three straight Western road games - including two in five days, but then they will cruise. Hamilton and Winnipeg are improving, while Toronto is a disaster.

1.) Montreal
2.) Winnipeg
3.) Hamilton
4.) Toronto

For the West, as usual, I haven't a clue. All four teams could finish tied and it wouldn't shock me. However, I don't know if we'll see a crossover this year. Winnipeg and Hamilton are strong enough that, barring injuries, they should both make the playoffs in the East.
Fast_Eddie_Schenker
Signed One Album Deal on Indy Label

Post by Fast_Eddie_Schenker »

Thanks for starting this thread again WOLF.

East - Montreal have lost some veterans, but they are still the most talented team in the league top down, and likely the best coached as well.

Hamilton will finish second. Better at the quarterback position than Winnipeg.

Winnipeg third...and I agree, likely a good enough record to stop a western crossover.

Toronto might be lucky to win 3 games this season. They'll improve as the season progresses, and i'm curious to see how long they stick with Cleo Lemon, and if he can actually show some improvement. Dalton Bell and Ken Dorsey don't inspire any confidence either.

West
Calgary. The O-line will have some issues, but Burris as a good scrambler and he's still got weapons to throw to.

Saskatchewan. Questions at Defensive end and running back, but as the season goes along they should be right in the mix.

BC. Wally will find a way to stay ahead on Edmonton. If Printers can find some consistency and stay healthy they may stay in the hunt for first, but that's a huge IF.

Edmonton. All four of the so-called experts at Sportsnet picked the Eskimos to finish first in the west. WTF? Ricky Ray is showing his age, and as a group I think his recievers are the worst squad in the league. Ritchie Hall's defence will keep them in some games, but not enough to make the playoffs.

I'll make week one predictions tommorow. Fuckin' EH! Football's BACK!
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Fast_Eddie_Schenker wrote:Toronto might be lucky to win 3 games this season. They'll improve as the season progresses, and i'm curious to see how long they stick with Cleo Lemon, and if he can actually show some improvement. Dalton Bell and Ken Dorsey don't inspire any confidence either.
Bell looked better than Lemon in the pre-season game I went to, but Jim Barker went with Lemon's "experience". I don't think it will last long. I can't see the Argos being as bad as they were last year under Bart Andrus, but having said that, the Als 2nd and 3rd stringers dominated the Argos starters in most situations last week. It's going to be a long season in TO.
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

if he can stay healthy this season the qb to watch is buck pierce in winnipeg.

every qb the lions have had in the last few years got hurt because of the shitty offensive line.

k.w.
travis lulay may earn a start this season.
Fast_Eddie_Schenker

Montreal over Saskatchewan. I think the Riders will start slow, and even though this is a Grey Cup rematch and the Riders have extra motivation, the pre-season showed there's still some work to do. Should be close though.

Calgary over Toronto by at least 20. Toronto may not score.

BC upset Edmonton in Commonwealth stadium. just a gut feeling here.

Bombers over Hamilton. I think the Cats are the better team, but the Bombers have a lot to prove and at home I think Buck Pierce can get it done. He'll have a concussion by week three, though, so the Bombers need to start strong before the have to play Jyles.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

I love the way we're both afraid to pick our own teams Fast Eddie. I got:

Riders over the Als: After what happened in the Grey Cup I think the Riders will be extra motivated to win this one in front of their home fans. Cavillo only played half a quarter in the pre-season games and I would have liked to see him get in some more reps behind new starting center Paul Lambert. Riders in a close one.

Stamps over Argos: This will be the squash of the week. Actually, every Argos games should be the squash of the week this year!

Esks over Lions: All in all I think the Lions have a good team, but the Esks will be tough to beat in their home opener and, long term, I don't know how much I believe in Casey Printers.

Bombers over Ti-Cats: I like the Ti-Cats, but think the Bombers will come out of the gate fast. I love Buck Pierce's skills ad completely agree that the Bombers fate is tied to his health.

Last night on TSN's preview show the panel was completely split in their pre-season picks. They had the Grey Cup going as follows:

Chris Schultz - BC over Montreal
Matt Dunnigan - Edmonton over Montreal
Jock Climie - Saskatchewan over BC (c'mon buddy, you're an Als alumus)
Dave Randorf - Montreal over ?

Can't wait until tonight!
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Sometimes the CFL is just surreal. Wow! Who scripts this stuff?

I suppose it's only fitting that the Als blow a big 2nd half lead and the Riders come from behind to win in the oddest of fashions to avenge last year's Grey Cup loss.

If these two teams played every week I wouldn't live to see 40!

Props to the Rider Nation for sticking with their team and willing them to victory. Boo to the Als D who really fell asleep after a nice 1st half, and a rare boo to coach Trestman who should have kicked a field goal at the end of the 1st half, rather than going for the jugular on the road.

Finally - I think the Riders need to hire someone to sit upstairs, count the players on the field, and radio down if need be 'cuz this shit is getting scary...
VinnieKulick
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by VinnieKulick »

I haven't seen a CFL game since Baltimore was winning the title, but tuned in tonite to the second half of the Montreal vs Saskatewan game. Wow, what a game. I hate not knowing ANY of the players, or their histories, but damn that was an entertaining game. If all of the CFL games were that fun, I'd make it a habit to watch.
NFL Network is showing the games via the TSN feed this season. I think I'll check out more games.
ImageImage
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

VinnieKulick wrote:I haven't seen a CFL game since Baltimore was winning the title, but tuned in tonite to the second half of the Montreal vs Saskatewan game. Wow, what a game. I hate not knowing ANY of the players, or their histories, but damn that was an entertaining game. If all of the CFL games were that fun, I'd make it a habit to watch.
NFL Network is showing the games via the TSN feed this season. I think I'll check out more games.
Good thing that's the game the NFL Network featured and not the Calgary/Toronto snoozefest that followed on TSN. Als/Riders did a WAY better job of selling the Canadian game, trust me.
Fast_Eddie_Schenker

Wow, thursday night's game was a great way to start the season. When the Riders went down 21 points in the third quarter I was ready to pack it in. I was at home watching the the game, (didn't get tickets dammit) and at that point I went outside to close up the barbeque and putter around in the yard. I came back in the house 10 minutes later and we were only down 7 and driving. The too many men penalty just left me speechless.

I'm pleased the Riders were able to start the season with a win over the defendig champs, but giving up that many points is not the way to win games. I trust Etcheverry will get that fixed soon.

Reports of the eskimo's revival seem somewhat premature after watching them tonight. The Lions didn't look great either, but Ricky Ray and that offence in Edmonton looked pathetic.
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

by pvr didn't catch the whole als/sask game. fuck.

lions won. kind of surprised. but happy.

home opener this week. better pick up my season's tix this week.

k.w.
remember.......buck pierce
Fast_Eddie_Schenker

Week 2
Toronto at Winnipeg:
Bombers get off to a 2 game winning streak.

Calgary at Hamilton:
Hamilton bounces back from a week 1 loss and pressures Burris all game long. Hank throws up a couple of critical picks, and the Cats win the home opener.

Saskatchewan at BC:
Riders have played well on the west coast lately and with a new outdoor setting, the Leo's home field advantage will take some time to set in. Lots of Roughriders fans will be on hand as the Riders win by a touchdown.

Montreal at Edmonton:
The Eskimos feel the wrath of a pissed-off Als squad. This will be a blowout and Eskimo fans will start to get ready to run Ritchie Hall out of town on a rail...too bad he's just a figurehead Head Coach and Machioca and the rest of Edmonton's front office are the real problem. Well, them and an aging Ricky Ray...
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Fast_Eddie_Schenker wrote:Week 2
Toronto at Winnipeg:
Bombers get off to a 2 game winning streak.

Calgary at Hamilton:
Hamilton bounces back from a week 1 loss and pressures Burris all game long. Hank throws up a couple of critical picks, and the Cats win the home opener.

Saskatchewan at BC:
Riders have played well on the west coast lately and with a new outdoor setting, the Leo's home field advantage will take some time to set in. Lots of Roughriders fans will be on hand as the Riders win by a touchdown.

Montreal at Edmonton:
The Eskimos feel the wrath of a pissed-off Als squad. This will be a blowout and Eskimo fans will start to get ready to run Ritchie Hall out of town on a rail...too bad he's just a figurehead Head Coach and Machioca and the rest of Edmonton's front office are the real problem. Well, them and an aging Ricky Ray...
I agree with all of Fast Eddie's picks, though the Als still worry me. I wouldn't be shocked if the defending champs start 0-3, while they sort out some personel stuff on the road, and them come back and go on a wicked tear. I still see them going something like 12-6. winning the East, but having a much tougher road to the final than in the past. Esks will be pissed off too...
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

OK, given the way the Als have played, I'll take 1-1 after a couple of Western road games, with a bounce of the ball away from having been 2-0.

Als are staying in Edmonton all week since they only have a 5-day turnaround before facing the Lions in BC.

Brutal schedule for the Als, but they're going to be set-up with a favorable schedule, with nary a trip farther than Winnipeg, pretty soon.

Once Eskie fans stop blaming the refs, Hall and Ray (and Stamps) are going to have to answer some questions...
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

lions looked like shit with no less then 9 mental penalties.

but the new stadium is awesome.
Fast_Eddie_Schenker

Week 3
Early start to the week with a Wednesday game.

Calgary at Toronto - The Stampeders could easily be 0-2 instead of 2-0. The Argos are not as bad as originally thought...but tonight I think Calgary wins on the road. Hufnagel has already had to lay down the law with his defense, who should be prepared to respond. I don't think Toronto has the horses on the pass rush to disturb Burris too much tonight. I hope I'm wrong...I'd love to see Toronto win this one.

Winnipeg at Hamilton - Things haven't gone to plan in the Hammer so far, and a second loss in three weeks to the Bombers would put the Cats in full-on panic mode, not to mention put them in a hole that will be hard to climb out of. I think they'll rise to the challenge and win at home...I hope Sandro DeAngelis doesn't deep-six them again with missed field goals.

Montreal at BC - Tough game to call. Montreal on the tail end of a brutal 3 game western tour. (The schedule maker need a slap) BC need to bounce back from a poor performance. This could be the game of the week. I'll go with Montreal to win by a touchdown. If Lulay comes into the game early, he could be the wildcard that tips the balance in BC's favour.

Edmonton at Saskatchewan - The Riders are a very focused football team right now. A lot of these guys remember a game at home last year where they gagged up a 20 point halftime lead and lost to the Eskimos.
The Riders will go through a phase soon where they'll start to believe all the good press and get caught napping (Hamilton in two weeks?) but not this week. Edmonton will struggle on offence..Riders win by 10.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Fast_Eddie_Schenker wrote:Week 3
Early start to the week with a Wednesday game.

Calgary at Toronto - The Stampeders could easily be 0-2 instead of 2-0. The Argos are not as bad as originally thought...but tonight I think Calgary wins on the road. Hufnagel has already had to lay down the law with his defense, who should be prepared to respond. I don't think Toronto has the horses on the pass rush to disturb Burris too much tonight. I hope I'm wrong...I'd love to see Toronto win this one.

Winnipeg at Hamilton - Things haven't gone to plan in the Hammer so far, and a second loss in three weeks to the Bombers would put the Cats in full-on panic mode, not to mention put them in a hole that will be hard to climb out of. I think they'll rise to the challenge and win at home...I hope Sandro DeAngelis doesn't deep-six them again with missed field goals.

Montreal at BC - Tough game to call. Montreal on the tail end of a brutal 3 game western tour. (The schedule maker need a slap) BC need to bounce back from a poor performance. This could be the game of the week. I'll go with Montreal to win by a touchdown. If Lulay comes into the game early, he could be the wildcard that tips the balance in BC's favour.

Edmonton at Saskatchewan - The Riders are a very focused football team right now. A lot of these guys remember a game at home last year where they gagged up a 20 point halftime lead and lost to the Eskimos.
The Riders will go through a phase soon where they'll start to believe all the good press and get caught napping (Hamilton in two weeks?) but not this week. Edmonton will struggle on offence..Riders win by 10.
Winners will be Calgary, Hamilton, Montreal finally breaking their BC curse, and the Riders.

The Als, unfortunately, had to request a long trip to start the season, just to be sure the renovations would be complete at Molson stadium. However, two games in 5 days, versus Edmonton and BC, totally sucks. I think, with the game not being in BC Place, we can win for the first time in Vancouver in ages.
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

bc will have 6 rookies on defence.

6 fucking rookies.

k.w.
fuck
Fast_Eddie_Schenker

Week 4
Montreal over Hamilton
BC over Toronto
Winnipeg over Edmonton
Saskatchewan over Calgary
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Fast_Eddie_Schenker wrote:Week 4
Montreal over Hamilton
BC over Toronto
Winnipeg over Edmonton
Saskatchewan over Calgary
Ditto

Having said that, I´m currently on a beach in Mexico and will be nowhere near a CFL game this week!
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

well..........at least lulay looked pretty good.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

:D

Yup, Jim Barker and Rob Murphy. You're going to come to "frenchyland" and show us how's it's done Argo-style. I thoroughly enjoyed watching yesterday's beatdown live and in person.

Are there other games this weekend? A little birdie told me that there's a Grey Cup/Canada Day Classic rematch headed my way next week! That's the prize I have my eyes on...
Fast_Eddie_Schenker

Late week 5 pix:

I had Montreal last night, it's no stretch to believe that.

BC over Edmonton tonight. Esks are playing too tight and Wally will have his guys ready to pounce.

Riders over Hamilton - bounce back game for the green n' white.

Calgary over Winnipeg - I think the Bombers will play well but I give Calgary the home field edge.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Fast_Eddie_Schenker wrote:Late week 5 pix:

BC over Edmonton tonight. Esks are playing too tight and Wally will have his guys ready to pounce.

Calgary over Winnipeg - I think the Bombers will play well but I give Calgary the home field edge.
Dude - did you line up to buy your Fantuz Flakes?
Fast_Eddie_Schenker

WOLF wrote:
Fast_Eddie_Schenker wrote:Late week 5 pix:

Dude - did you line up to buy your Fantuz Flakes?
LOL no, and they're sold out now. I heard the lineup to get his autograph was almost 2 hours long the other day. I hope he didn't damage his wrist signing all those boxes.

I'm going to todays game...should be a good one.
Looking forward to next weeks game as well...I hope the Riders can stay out of the St. Catherines St. strip clubs this time.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Thank you CFL Western Division! The Als gain a game on the entire East this week after taking care of business themselves and getting some help from Saskatchewan and Calgary.

I'll be at next Friday's Riders/Als tilt, probably surrounded by every McGill student from the province of Saskatchewan wearing watermelons on their heads!

The two teams couldn't possibly top their last two contests, could they?
Shinerrox
Buying Cool Stage Clothes

Post by Shinerrox »

@ Wolf: They aired the Rough Riders/Tiger Cats game on NFL network last night.. I actually watched a quarter or 2 of the game.. It was different from the game that I know..