I still like boxing over MMA

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

BD888
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Re: I still like boxing over MMA

Post by BD888 »

BozoMcMetal wrote:
SeminiferousButtNoid wrote:
mullet_head wrote:All the champions in boxing are negros or spics. Of course boxing is dying.

What the fuck are you talking about? The Klitschko brothers have dominated Heavyweight boxing for six years. Out of the top 15 ranked Heavyweight boxers there four eggplants and two beaners; the rest are all lily white. The WBA and IBF Middleweight belts are held by two Germans.

The reason boxing has taken a dip in popularity in the US is because there aren't many American boxers that are any good. The only country that MMA is popular is the US. And that's because it gives white trash a fantasy of athleticism that they never had before.
Except that most top level MMA fighters are from Brazil, Eastern Europe, and Canada.

And I guess you've never seen one of the MMA events in Japan that has 60,000 fans at it either.

I agree with your other points though.
Actually most top MMA guys are American, despite there being so many famous Brazilians. Around 2/3s of all UFC champions ever are American. Oh yeah, name 3 successful Canadian MMA fighters? Fedor from Russia doesn't count as Eastern Europe, infact I can't even think of any eastern europeans that are at the top of the game right now. Brazil has a lot of great fighters, but they are still second to the USA by a long shot.
BozoMcMetal
Headlining Clubs

Post by BozoMcMetal »

Some of my post I meant in a historical context, but ok:

Current champs that are from Brazil:
Mauricio Rua
Anderson Silva
Jose Aldo
Rafael Cavalcante
Jacare

Current top contenders from Brazil:
JDS
Vitor Belfort
Lyoto Machida
Fabricio Werdum

Not to mention the guys that were great 2-3 years ago but have fallen out of their prime, Wand, both Nogs, Arona, etc.

Canadian was mainly a reference to GSP, but there are a handful of promising prospects coming out of there right now.

Eastern European might have been a miswording, I meant to include guys like Fedor, Crocop(out of his prime by a couple years), Overeem, Mousasi, maybe middle Europe would have been better?

I was more taking issue with the white trash aspect of his post than any kind of nationalism issues. None of those guys, or any of the top MMA fighters are even close to being considered white trash, or unathletic, so I don't know where he was going with that point.
BD888

Post by BD888 »

BozoMcMetal wrote:Some of my post I meant in a historical context, but ok:

Current champs that are from Brazil:
Mauricio Rua
Anderson Silva
Jose Aldo
Rafael Cavalcante
Jacare

Current top contenders from Brazil:
JDS
Vitor Belfort
Lyoto Machida
Fabricio Werdum

Not to mention the guys that were great 2-3 years ago but have fallen out of their prime, Wand, both Nogs, Arona, etc.

Canadian was mainly a reference to GSP, but there are a handful of promising prospects coming out of there right now.

Eastern European might have been a miswording, I meant to include guys like Fedor, Crocop(out of his prime by a couple years), Overeem, Mousasi, maybe middle Europe would have been better?

I was more taking issue with the white trash aspect of his post than any kind of nationalism issues. None of those guys, or any of the top MMA fighters are even close to being considered white trash, or unathletic, so I don't know where he was going with that point.
You've pretty much named almost every successful Brazilian fighter.

If we break down the title histories of the UFC here are the numbers:
Heavy weight = 14 Champions (11 Americans, 3 Rest of World)
United States Mark Coleman
United States Maurice Smith
United States Randy Couture
Netherlands Bas Rutten
United States Kevin Randleman
United States Josh Barnett
United States Ricco Rodriguez
United States Tim Sylvia
United States Frank Mir
Belarus Andrei Arlovski
Brazil Antônio Rodrigo Nogueira (Interim)
United States Brock Lesnar
United States Shane Carwin (Interim)

Lightheavyweight = 10 Champions (7 Americans, 3 Brazilians)

Middleweight = 5 Champions (3 Americans, 2 Brazilians)

Welterweight = 8 Champions (6 Americans, 2 Canadians) Carlos Newton is the other if you are wondering.

Lightweight = 4 Champions (4 Americans)

Super Fight Champions = 2 Champions (2 Americans)

UFC Tournament Winners: 21 Opportunities (11 American, 3 Brazilian, 2 Japanese, 1 Russian)

I could do Pride as well, but that's equallt skewed with American and Brazilians, and was never popular in the USA.
BD888

Post by BD888 »

Just looked at Pride Champions which total equal between USA, Brazil, and Russia.

Anyways, I get your points. I just wanted to emphasise that other than the era of Royce, the Americans, and particularly American wrestlers have until recently, pretty much dominated the sport in all divisions, Fedor aside. That last 2 years, it's been more interesting.

I personally prefer the Brazilian style of fighting. I train in Thailand, and pretty much all the champions are here each year at some point.
mullet_head
Headlining Clubs

Post by mullet_head »

SeminiferousButtNoid wrote:
mullet_head wrote:All the champions in boxing are negros or spics. Of course boxing is dying.

What the fuck are you talking about?

I have no idea, I'm just talking out of my ass like always... Last information I got about boxing was that Lennox Lewis knocked out Tyson, that was what, ten years ago? I have no idea what happened after that.
Skate4RnR wrote: Just like basketball and baseball?
Exactly lol. Who gives a shit about basketball? That's what the girls played in highschool when they weren't cheering for us stalions playing football.
UltimateSin
Playing in a Garage

Post by UltimateSin »

I like them both. However boxing doesn't have very many exciting fighters anymore. Also boxing always kept a lot of the good fights from happening and they also charged a shit load of money for their ppv's and you usually ended up disappointed. I remember the Tyson/Hollyfield rematch after the ear biting episode was $80! $80 for boxing wtf!
Refusing To Surrender To The World Elite.
demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

Boxing, the sport, is way superior to my mind.
Unfortunately boxing, the business, is beyond fucked.
Moggio wrote:You see, the problem with you is that you act like I have no credibility or something.
PhoenixFlames wrote:AVATAR made 2.7 billion which (maths) is close to 3 x million millions!!!!!!