The official NHL thread

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Kerry King's Pentagram
Asskicker in Training

Re: The official NHL thread

Post by Kerry King's Pentagram »

pieceofme wrote:The Thrashers had an all time low of 8000 a few weeks ago. Of course this could have been beaten since then! The capacity for the arena is 18,545 according to wiki.
18,545? Shit, not even the UK teams play anywhere that big (biggest is 9,000 i think). Someone needs to move that franchise to somewhere like Winnipeg where they can actually sustain a NHL team. That would probably be detrimental to the AHL's Manitoba Moose though.

"Hey Butt-Head. What did people do before TV?" "Don't be stupid, Beavis. There's always been TV. There's just more channels now." "Oh yeah, progress is cool!"
chungasrevenge
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by chungasrevenge »

Thrashers have a good team and they're breaking attendance low records. Even Hartford would have generated more interest. At least the Whalers had sellouts 10 or so times per year when the Bruins/Canadiens/NY teams played.
Facedown

Post by Facedown »

B's defenseman Mark Stuart out 6-8 weeks with a broken wrist.
bonedog wrote:I let Facedown get the better of me
bonedog wrote:My first kid will be born when I am 47.
bonedog wrote:I suck at sludging.
Kerry King's Pentagram
Asskicker in Training

chungasrevenge wrote:Thrashers have a good team and they're breaking attendance low records. Even Hartford would have generated more interest. At least the Whalers had sellouts 10 or so times per year when the Bruins/Canadiens/NY teams played.
Yeah, Atlanta are 11th in the league at the moment which is higher than teams such as the Blues, the Oilers, the Islanders and the Leafs just to name a few. And yet, they just can't get people in the building. They'll have to do something if attendances keep slipping.

"Hey Butt-Head. What did people do before TV?" "Don't be stupid, Beavis. There's always been TV. There's just more channels now." "Oh yeah, progress is cool!"
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Kerry King's Pentagram wrote:
chungasrevenge wrote:Thrashers have a good team and they're breaking attendance low records. Even Hartford would have generated more interest. At least the Whalers had sellouts 10 or so times per year when the Bruins/Canadiens/NY teams played.
Yeah, Atlanta are 11th in the league at the moment which is higher than teams such as the Blues, the Oilers, the Islanders and the Leafs just to name a few. And yet, they just can't get people in the building. They'll have to do something if attendances keep slipping.
They're done. It's just a matter of time. This year they're not giving away any tickets down there and you can see the result. Whereas the league has always shied away from relocation talk, league executives have been quoted in the press as saying things to the effect of "all options are on the table" and "if things don't improve after the Holidays we'll explore our options". That's a far cry from the denials we were hearing from Phoenix. IMO they wind up in Winnipeg, maybe as early as next season.
Kerry King's Pentagram
Asskicker in Training

WOLF wrote:They're done. It's just a matter of time. This year they're not giving away any tickets down there and you can see the result. Whereas the league has always shied away from relocation talk, league executives have been quoted in the press as saying things to the effect of "all options are on the table" and "if things don't improve after the Holidays we'll explore our options". That's a far cry from the denials we were hearing from Phoenix. IMO they wind up in Winnipeg, maybe as early as next season.
Winnipeg would make sense. Revive the Jets brand and have them play out of the MTS Centre. But what would happen to the AHL's Manitoba Moose who play out of the venue? Would they have to relocate or even fold?

Anne_Thrax
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by Anne_Thrax »

see here's a picture I took at the tampa game 2 years ago. there are people in the seats, i just don't know what is happening this year. fuck i hope they don't move. i'll be stuck with these same seats at the hawks games.

WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Anne_Thrax wrote:see here's a picture I took at the tampa game 2 years ago. there are people in the seats, i just don't know what is happening this year. fuck i hope they don't move. i'll be stuck with these same seats at the hawks games.

Allegedly they were giving away thousands of tickets per game up to last year and the NHL has ordered them not to do so this year. They need to gauge what the real market is for the Thrashers in Atlanta. It's a shame - they've finally built a good team - thanks to the New Jersey Devils and Chicago Blackhawks (and Rick Dudley's shrewness) - and now someone else might see the fruits of their labor.
chungasrevenge

Post by chungasrevenge »

Quebec City is an option.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

chungasrevenge wrote:Quebec City is an option.
I think the NHL is using them, seeing that they've worn out using Hamilton.

Seriously though, they need to get a new building there first. I've been to Le Colisee for a World Championship game, as well as for concerts and it's not a NHL building by modern standards. They can squeeze 13,000 in there, but there are no luxury boxes and literally 4 concession stands and 4 bathrooms (2 male, 2 female). For the prices the NHL charges in Canada these days, the paying customer is going to want better than what the building has to offer. If someone, or the government, will pony up for a building, then it's game on.
Bassmaster1984
Headlining a Theater Tour

Post by Bassmaster1984 »

Attendance here in Phoenix is a joke. Last night there was 7700. Looks like Canada may get teams back sooner than later.

BTW, Thorton is a bust in San Jose. Roenick stated that as long as Joe is the captain in San Jose they will never win. Dude has "no fire" to win.
"You just pick a chord, go twang, and you've got music." Sid Vicious
Lardbucket
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Lardbucket »

Bassmaster1984 wrote:Attendance here in Phoenix is a joke. Last night there was 7700. Looks like Canada may get teams back sooner than later.

BTW, Thorton is a bust in San Jose. Roenick stated that as long as Joe is the captain in San Jose they will never win. Dude has "no fire" to win.
While I don't think "No-Show Joe" is a clutch player at all, it's also true that Roenick (who is one of my all-time favorite players) was nothing but "fire" and never won the Cup either. There are so many things that have to go right to win the Cup, and I really thought the '91-92 Hawks would win it. Then the Penguins erased that 4-1 lead in Game One of the Finals and the Hawks folded up the tent.
A proud Steve Jones nutswinger since 1977.
LAglamrocker
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by LAglamrocker »

I went to the Kings game last night, tons of fights!

Kings lost in overtime. soldout fot the Wild

live event NHL > NBA easy
Jani Lane and Bret Michaels should form a band called "Nelson II"
Anne_Thrax

Post by Anne_Thrax »

Aerosmith87 wrote:The Devils are depressing me this year. That Islanders 15 game losing streak or whatever killed me, when the Devils lost.
Went to the game Saturday night (and the place was packed for all you haters out there). Let me put in perspective how bad you guys are. A guy from our 4th line got a hat trick. Broduer got pulled by the time it was 4-0. Moose comes in to replace him. Right at the end the puck is coming down the ice and Moose does what he always did here in Atlanta, goes behind the net to help with the defense. He proceeds to fall down and kick the puck right infront of the net where Boulton was standing there all alone. Game over. 7-1 Thrashers.

and PS- everybody wore their Kovalchuck jerseys and had painted over them so they said "Kovalsuck"
:)
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Anne_Thrax wrote:
Aerosmith87 wrote:The Devils are depressing me this year. That Islanders 15 game losing streak or whatever killed me, when the Devils lost.
Went to the game Saturday night (and the place was packed for all you haters out there). Let me put in perspective how bad you guys are. A guy from our 4th line got a hat trick. Broduer got pulled by the time it was 4-0. Moose comes in to replace him. Right at the end the puck is coming down the ice and Moose does what he always did here in Atlanta, goes behind the net to help with the defense. He proceeds to fall down and kick the puck right infront of the net where Boulton was standing there all alone. Game over. 7-1 Thrashers.

and PS- everybody wore their Kovalchuck jerseys and had painted over them so they said "Kovalsuck"
Sounds like a good time!

Whatever happens with the Thrashers, Rick Dudley is a great GM (and Ramsey is a hell of a coach). The Kovalchuk trade netted them so many assets, particluarly when you figure that some of them were parlayed into other assets via their dealings with Chicago this off season.
Aerosmith87
Opening Act in Arenas

Post by Aerosmith87 »

Anne_Thrax wrote:

Fuck you. :oops:
chungasrevenge

Post by chungasrevenge »

Julien could be gone by the new year. Neely hasn't endorsed him in the local media and the Boston Globe is running polls about whether or not he should be fired and 70% say yes. Not sure I agree.
SkyDog112046
Headlining Clubs

Post by SkyDog112046 »

chungasrevenge wrote:Julien could be gone by the new year. Neely hasn't endorsed him in the local media and the Boston Globe is running polls about whether or not he should be fired and 70% say yes. Not sure I agree.
I wanted Julien gone a long time ago. I still don't see how he could be brought back after his team choked a 3-0 lead in the playoffs las year. The only reason he is still here is that he is Chiarelli's guy, but now that Neely overrules Chiarelli look for him to be fired soon. I think Neely has wanted him gone all along but had to play nice for a while to satisfy the Jacobs. But the fact is that this team plays soft and looks unprepared far too often. They need to bring in a drill sargent type of coach who will toughen them up. They have the talent and the goal tending to be a top team, it's just that they have a shitty coach. I will be psyched when Neely finally cans Claude. To bad Neely can't fire all the Jacobs too.
Aerosmith87
Opening Act in Arenas

Post by Aerosmith87 »

And Jacques Lemaire is coaching the Devils again!
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Aerosmith87 wrote:And Jacques Lemaire is coaching the Devils again!
It must be Groundhog Day!
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Condolences go out to former Hab (and Isle, Blue, and Star) Pierre Turgeon on the loss of his daughter. No parent should have to endure this, let alone around the Holidays. RIP.

From TSN.ca:
VAUGHN, N.M. - The 18-year-old daughter of former Montreal Canadiens captain Pierre Turgeon has been killed in a car crash, according to New Mexico State Police.

Elizabeth Turgeon was pronounced dead at the scene of a two-car collision near Vaughn, N.M., early Thursday morning.

Police said in a release that Turgeon was driving southbound when she approached an intersection, failed to stop and crashed into the trailer of a northbound semi.

Brittany Kraemer of El Paso, Texas, a passenger in Turgeon's pick-up truck, suffered life-threatening injuries. The semi driver was uninjured.

Dense fog is listed as a contributing factor in the accident.

Turgeon, from Cherry Hills Village, Colo., was a freshman at the University of Minnesota. Her father played 19 NHL seasons with Buffalo, the Islanders, Montreal, St. Louis, Dallas and Colorado, scoring 515 goals with 812 assists in 1,294 games.

Rejean Houle, head of the Canadiens alumni association who was GM when Pierre Turgeon was named Habs captain, said the news is "very sad for all the community of Rouyn-Noranda."

"I was very close to the family," Houle said in an interview Friday. "They're from my hometown, Rouyn-Noranda. I know his dad and his wife's dad as well, so there's a great sadness.

"The family is very nice, with nice values. It is really too bad what happened. The team and the Canadiens alumni offer their sympathy."
Gibsonite
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Gibsonite »

Aww man,that's so sad..

:cry:
alecjonsludge
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by alecjonsludge »

Martin Brodeur should retire,he's tarnishing his legacy.
chungasrevenge

Post by chungasrevenge »

:lol:

Check out lady in blue vest:

johnk5150
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by johnk5150 »

They going to play that game today? I heard it's a little warm and a lot rainy.
He's like the Liberace of bass & pot.

$tevil
Sinderella
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Sinderella »

johnk5150 wrote:They going to play that game today? I heard it's a little warm and a lot rainy.

They have moved the start time to 8pm.

Post by Anne_Thrax »

Sinderella wrote:
johnk5150 wrote:They going to play that game today? I heard it's a little warm and a lot rainy.

Um, regarding "Oh Canada." Please don't tell me the biggest musical export out of Canada is....the barenaked ladies. I had to call somebody just to make sure I wasn't hallucinating.
LetUsPrey
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by LetUsPrey »

Anne_Thrax wrote:
Sinderella wrote:

Um, regarding "Oh Canada." Please don't tell me the biggest musical export out of Canada is....the barenaked ladies. I had to call somebody just to make sure I wasn't hallucinating.
It would have at least been somewhat mediocre if they got the Barenaked Ladies. Instead they got the fucking dude that got fired after he got arrested for possession of coke.

Like, what the fuck.
SkyDog112046
Headlining Clubs

Post by SkyDog112046 »

Another Bruins last second choke job yesterday. Why hasn't Neely fired Julien yet? Jacobs too cheap to pay for 2 coaches?
Anne_Thrax

Post by Anne_Thrax »

chungasrevenge wrote::lol:

Check out lady in blue vest:

LOL did you by any chance catch that "Road to the Winter Classic" on HBO? It was a 3 part series. It was REALLY good.