Killeverything's (New)NeverEndingBaseballThread

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

johnk5150
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Re: Killeverything's (New)NeverEndingBaseballThread

Post by johnk5150 »

Alomar and Blyleven in. Bagwell no dice.
He's like the Liberace of bass & pot.

$tevil
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

johnk5150 wrote:Alomar and Blyleven in. Bagwell no dice.
What a joke. Blyleven and his Minnesota tears should not be allowed in the Hall.
It's the Hall of Fame, not the place where very, very good baseball players are enshrined.
To think that Pete Rose is still not a member.
The fucking Hall is a joke and the jokes will continue year after year.

I agree w/Alomar. No doubt about it. He should have made it least year.
SkyDog112046
Headlining Clubs

Post by SkyDog112046 »

Machado wrote:
What a joke. Blyleven and his Minnesota tears should not be allowed in the Hall.
It's the Hall of Fame, not the place where very, very good baseball players are enshrined.

Alomar certainly belongs.

A case can be made for Blyleven. He finished with 287 wins, a .331 ERA, 60 Shut outs, and 3700 Strike outs. He played for a lot of shitty teams which most certainly cost him at least 15 - 20 wins over his career which cost him the magic #300. I'm not saying he belongs in the HOF and personally I wouldn't have voted for him, but a case can be made for him.
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

SkyDog112046 wrote:
Machado wrote:

Alomar certainly belongs.

A case can be made for Blyleven. He finished with 287 wins, a .331 ERA, 60 Shut outs, and 3700 Strike outs. He played for a lot of shitty teams which most certainly cost him at least 15 - 20 wins over his career which cost him the magic #300. I'm not saying he belongs in the HOF and personally I wouldn't have voted for him, but a case can be made for him.
fuck that nonsense. the hall went out of there way to vote him in, while a much more deserving Pete Rose has not yet been elected.
the organization is a joke and should be embarrassed(of course they are not).
killeverything
A Drinking Fan With A Baseball Problem

Post by killeverything »

Machado wrote:fuck that nonsense. the hall went out of there way to vote him in, while a much more deserving Pete Rose has not yet been elected.
the organization is a joke and should be embarrassed(of course they are not).
Pete Rose is one of the greatest of all time, his crudentials certainly warrant enshrinement. The thing is he bet on games he was managing. His playing career? Yes. His actions in MLB? No.

Letting in Rose would mean that Mcgwire, Palmero, etc. Should be in too. I can't say that Rose belongs in. He did that to himself.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

I'm OK with Blylevyn. The guy played on some horrible teams. If he played the bulk of his career on contenders, and had the same stats, with more wins, he'd be a lock. If a guy like Felix Hernandez (meaning his W-L record) can win the Cy Young, Burt Blylevyn can go to the Hall of Fame.

Someone has to explain to me why Tim Raines doesn't get more respect. He was the second best lead off man of his era and has numbers better than Lou Brock's. I don't get it. I'd have him in the Hall before Andre Dawson - who went in last year.
tin00can
Headlining Clubs

Post by tin00can »

Machado wrote:

Wow, it's like I've heard your argument many times from other places. Why is that?

Blyleven belongs in. Good for him.
JakeYonkel
Headlining Clubs

Post by JakeYonkel »

The HOF is a joke, that's been beaten to death. It's the "Hall of Pretty Good" since they voted in guys like Rice and Dawson.

It took Blyleven nearly 15 years to get in. Do I think he's worthy? Sure, why not. But after 15 years, IMO, the real joy of it must be lost for the guy. The window of eligibility should be much shorter. If a guy isn't a HOFer within 3-5 years, he's probably not a HOFer. It's for ELITE players, IMO.

No argument on Alomar whatsoever. Raines should be elected.

Palmeiro should be in. All McGwire did was hit HRs - one dimensional player. Palmeiro wasn't a vacuum at 1B but the guy did have 3000 hits. Should be in.

And I don't give a fuck if Rose murdered 50 people AFTER his playing career... his playing career warranted entry into the Hall, and that's where he belongs.
SkyDog112046
Headlining Clubs

Post by SkyDog112046 »

JakeYonkel wrote:And I don't give a fuck if Rose murdered 50 people AFTER his playing career... his playing career warranted entry into the Hall, and that's where he belongs.
Yeah Jake, I agree with that 100%. Pete Rose isn't a borderline guy, he's a stone-cold lock going by the numbers.

My argument to anyone who says he doesn't belong in the HOF:
He's the all time leader with 4256 hits when 3000 is supposed to be automatic. Think about that number for a minute. He hit the automatic number with the Reds and then put up what would be considered a respectable career on top of that with the Phillies and Expos. He led the league in hits 7 times, he has the 44 game hit streak, multiple gold gloves, 1 MVP and 5 more top 5 MVP finishes and a WS MVP. He not only won championships but was one of the main contributors to them. By all accounts he was a dominant player for a very long time. The players he most compares to are Tris Speaker and Ty Cobb, and he out-hit both of them. Anything he did wrong came after he was done playing and should have no bearing on his eligibility. They should let the voters decide.
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

SkyDog112046 wrote:
JakeYonkel wrote:And I don't give a fuck if Rose murdered 50 people AFTER his playing career... his playing career warranted entry into the Hall, and that's where he belongs.
Yeah Jake, I agree with that 100%. Pete Rose isn't a borderline guy, he's a stone-cold lock going by the numbers.

My argument to anyone who says he doesn't belong in the HOF:
He's the all time leader with 4256 hits when 3000 is supposed to be automatic. Think about that number for a minute. He hit the automatic number with the Reds and then put up what would be considered a respectable career on top of that with the Phillies and Expos. He led the league in hits 7 times, he has the 44 game hit streak, multiple gold gloves, 1 MVP and 5 more top 5 MVP finishes and a WS MVP. He not only won championships but was one of the main contributors to them. By all accounts he was a dominant player for a very long time. The players he most compares to are Tris Speaker and Ty Cobb, and he out-hit both of them. Anything he did wrong came after he was done playing and should have no bearing on his eligibility. They should let the voters decide.
Well said. The Hall has become a punch line(along with the rock n roll hall of fame).
The system is flawed. If it takes a player 15 yrs to be voted in, its very possible that player at best was very, very good-Not Hall of Fame worthy.
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

So the Giants win a world season and suddenly they want favors and schedule changes to accommodate them in 2011.
Dodgers deserve a standing ovation for not giving into the ridiculous Giants demands

In a move proposed by ESPN and supported by Major League Baseball, the Giants were to open the 2011 season at home by playing a single home game on March 31st. After that, both teams would go to Los Angeles and play out the as scheduled four game series. This would create a somewhat unheard of five straight versus one ballclub with the reasoning being ESPN wanting to broadcast the Giants home opener (ring ceremony, etc) in their Opening Day game lineup.
The Dodgers said no. So, so much for opening the year at home.
So the revised plan (that MLB is still looking at) would be to have the Giants and Dodgers open the season a day earlier (on March 31st as opposed to April 1st), as this will appease ESPN’s demands to show the Giants opening game in their Opening Day broadcast lineup. It would give the Giants and Dodgers both an off day on April 4th, which was to be the series finale.
Either way, it looks like opening the season at home isn’t going to happen, so, for all those that bought tickets to the April 8th game versus the Cardinals, looks like you’re still in luck for all the festivities.
And all bias aside, the Giants wouldn’t do it for the Dodgers, so, it’s hard to blame the smelly bums.
JakeYonkel
Headlining Clubs

Post by JakeYonkel »

Yeah, F that. It would be one thing if it was tradition for the WS winner to open at home, but it's not. As I recall the Yankees won in 2009 and then opened in Boston in 2010. C'mon now.
johnk5150

Post by johnk5150 »

Are the Cubs really going to give up their whole farm for Garza?

$tevil
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

JakeYonkel wrote:Yeah, F that. It would be one thing if it was tradition for the WS winner to open at home, but it's not. As I recall the Yankees won in 2009 and then opened in Boston in 2010. C'mon now.
Obviously my first thought was if concessions like this were NOT made for the Yankees, how are the Giants deserving of this 'favor'.
Fuck that shit!

For once someone made the correct executive decision.
Facedown
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by Facedown »

Reds sign Renteria.
Twins close to signing Pavano.
Cubs close to signing Garza
Last edited by Facedown on Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bonedog wrote:I let Facedown get the better of me
bonedog wrote:My first kid will be born when I am 47.
bonedog wrote:I suck at sludging.
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

Are the rays planning to contend in 2011 or lay down and take it up the ass on a weekly basis??

Now that they have traded garza to the cubs, the baltimore o's can look forward to finish no worse than 4th in 2011.
SkyDog112046
Headlining Clubs

Post by SkyDog112046 »

Machado wrote:Are the rays planning to contend in 2011 or lay down and take it up the ass on a weekly basis??

Now that they have traded garza to the cubs, the baltimore o's can look forward to finish no worse than 4th in 2011.
Tampa picked up some very good prospects but it sucks when they have to trade away a guy because they can't afford to pay him $5M. They will still have a decent rotation but their lineup will be absolute shit.
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

SkyDog112046 wrote:
Machado wrote:Are the rays planning to contend in 2011 or lay down and take it up the ass on a weekly basis??

Tampa picked up some very good prospects but it sucks when they have to trade away a guy because they can't afford to pay him $5M. They will still have a decent rotation but their lineup will be absolute shit.
1)The team should move to a new location or build a stadium that will be attractive to their fans

2)Not all teams can have money to burn. Not every team can have the biggest payroll. For now their window has basically closed and the re-building has begun in S. Florida.
SkyDog112046
Headlining Clubs

Post by SkyDog112046 »

Machado wrote:1)The team should move to a new location or build a stadium that will be attractive to their fans

2)Not all teams can have money to burn. Not every team can have the biggest payroll. For now their window has basically closed and the re-building has begun in S. Florida.
I agree with you on #1. That stadium needs to go east of Tampa.

There is a difference between having the biggest payroll and being able to have a competitive payroll. There are teams that have 10 players making more than $10M each and then there are teams that can't even pay one guy that much. There needs to be some type of salary cap and revenue sharing plan in place to level the playing field. But with Selig in charge nothing will ever happen.
JakeYonkel
Headlining Clubs

Post by JakeYonkel »

The Rays are hardly throwing in the towel. It was a very shrewd move. Garza isn't that great... Hellickson is fantastic and they just cleared a spot for him in the rotation by getting more for him than KC did for Greinke. Think about that.

With the $5M+ he would have made through arbitration they can afford another hitter or some more bullpen help.

Yeah, they're probably not a playoff team in 2011 but they're still going to be better than Toronto and Baltimore.

Projected lineup (IMO)...

SS Brignac
RF Zobrist
1B Dan Johnson???
3B Longoria
DH Matt Joyce
C Jaso
CF Upton
2B Rodriguez
LF Desmond Jennings

They are going to need to get a little creative and pick up another hitter, obviously. But Carlos Pena was a black hole last year and they still won the division. Bartlett sucked too. Crawford is the only loss they'll feel and if Jennings pans out in a year or two they'll forget about him.

And for the record Machada Tampa Bay is not in south Florida.
johnk5150

Post by johnk5150 »

JakeYonkel wrote:The Rays are hardly throwing in the towel. It was a very shrewd move. Garza isn't that great...
I hate the trade on the Cubs side. The Cubs are like that neighbor that thinks painting a house with structural damage will make everything okay. Season ticket money due today may have had something to due with making the move. I guess a LOT of season ticket holders have been holding on to their dough this year.

$tevil
killeverything

Post by killeverything »

I think the Garza trade is going to be a lot like when they got rid of Kazmir. They obviously know something. As Jake pointed out they're going to have some holes in the line-up, but they've got good young starting pitching.

Price
Shields
Davis
Niemann
Hellickson

That's likely better than what the MFY are going to start the season with. Here's what Dave Cameron at Fangraphs has to say about it.

For [2011 only], this deal essentially amounts to a swap of Garza for Robinson Chirinos and approximately $6 million in cash ... In name value, it's a big step backwards, and will likely be viewed as just a cost-saving move by the general public. In reality, though, there's a good chance that the Rays will be better next year by trading Garza away. ...

Even if they hadn't also acquired three other prospects from the Cubs, this was a deal worth doing for the Rays. The fact that they get additional future value simply puts this over the top as a big win for Tampa Bay.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.ph ... ter-today/

They had an incredible BP last season and Balfour is still unsigned. The only problem pitching wise IMO is Shields and Price are their only ones likely to top 180IP. I agree with Jake on this one.
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

Yankees are searching for a 4th OF

Andrew Jones' name is on the list.
tin00can
Headlining Clubs

Post by tin00can »

The Angels avoided arbitration with Jeff Mathis and agreed on a one-year, $1.7 million contract.

I'm not making this shit up. The catcher who can't even hit the Mendoza line, and who is at best average defensively, got a raise.

Holy fuck.
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

NY Daily News is reporting Andy Pettitte will not open the season with
the Yankees.
Leaving the option open for him to pitch with the Yankees at some point during the season.
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

Yankees sign Soriano to pitch the 8th inning.
3 yrs/$35 million(Soriano has the choice to opt out after 1st and 2nd year)

This addition makes for a very nice bullpen:

Mo
Soriano
Joba, Robertson, Boone Logan and Feliciano
Mitre
killeverything

Post by killeverything »

Machado wrote:Yankees sign Soriano to pitch the 8th inning.
3 yrs/$35 million(Soriano has the choice to opt out after 1st and 2nd year)

This addition makes for a very nice bullpen:

Mo
Soriano
Joba, Robertson, Boone Logan and Feliciano
Mitre
I think it's funny how he has an opt-out clause, I wonder if Cashman gets a bonus every time he gives a player one. The MFY basically bidded against themselves. 12m per year? For a fucking set-up man?

Soriano: 3 years, 35m
Jenks: 2 years, 12m
Awesome.

Anything that moves Joba into lower pressure situations is good. If it all works out that could be ferocious with Soriano setting up Rivera. The scary part IMO, is Rafeal has become a fly ball pitcher, with a pretty shoddy injury history.

Here's a decent analysis here, I found:

http://nomaas.org/2011/01/you-cant-spel ... ithout-no/

So much for not giving up a draft-pick, huh Cashman?

Hey, how much you wanna bet that they try Joba at starting in Spring Training because of this? *Crosses fingers* Oh please, please, please..... :lol:

The Oakland Athletics have agreed on a two-year, $8.1 million deal with reliever Grant Balfour, sources familiar with the negotiations told ESPN.com.

The contract also includes a club option for 2013.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/stor ... BHeadlines
SkyDog112046
Headlining Clubs

Post by SkyDog112046 »

killeverything wrote: Hey, how much you wanna bet that they try Joba at starting in Spring Training because of this? *Crosses fingers* Oh please, please, please..... :lol:
The real question is: How many more times can Joba be moved around before he blows out his arm and ends up needing Tommy John surgery?
killeverything

Post by killeverything »

SkyDog112046 wrote:
killeverything wrote: Hey, how much you wanna bet that they try Joba at starting in Spring Training because of this? *Crosses fingers* Oh please, please, please..... :lol:
The real question is: How many more times can Joba be moved around before he blows out his arm and ends up needing Tommy John surgery?
Good point, but I don't think it's his arm that needs to be worried about. He's always had bad knees and a weight problem, that's why he went un-drafted by team's with higher picks.

He came out the pen like a lightning bolt, then has steadily seen his peripherals decline.....all of them.
WhiteHouseSubsAC
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by WhiteHouseSubsAC »

JakeYonkel wrote: Machada
:lol:
HeavyMetalZombie666 wrote:Of course your asshole is going to be sore when you volunteer for an asspounding and not set any boundaries at all.