Bubba Smith - RIP

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

SkyDog112046
Headlining Clubs

Bubba Smith - RIP

Post by SkyDog112046 »

A heck of a football player, and funny as hell in the Police Academy movies and the Miller Lite commercials. RIP

Link: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdo ... nfl-wp4511

Legendary NFL defender Bubba Smith passes away at age 66

Legendary NFL defender Bubba Smith passes away at age 66Former NFL defensive end and longtime television and movie actor Charles Aaron "Bubba" Smith was found dead in his Los Angeles home on Wednesday. Coroner's reports have not yet been released, but according to the Los Angeles Times, it is believed that Smith died of natural causes.

Smith attended Michigan State, where he was one of the most dominant collegiate defensive linemen of all time. He won All-America honors in 1965 and 1966, and was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 1988.

Selected first overall in the 1967 NFL draft by the Baltimore Colts, Smith soon became, along with Deacon Jones, one of the first truly modern-style pass-rushers and sack artists. He played long before sacks were first tabulated as an official NFL statistic in 1982, but he was known from the start of his professional career to be nearly impossible to block.

He played for three teams — the Colts, Oakland Raiders and Houston Oilers, appeared in two Pro Bowls and was named First-Team All-Pro in 1971. Smith played in two Super Bowls — Super Bowl III, which the Colts lost to the New York Jets in an enormous upset, and Super Bowl V, which the Colts won with a last-second field goal against the Dallas Cowboys. Smith retired after the 1976 season, having played in 111 regular-season games.

After his football career ended, Smith became perhaps even more well-known as an actor. He struck gold in the "Police Academy" series of movies, playing the hyper-strong Moses Hightower and providing a series of riotous slapstick scenes.

Smith was also a very successful pitchman for Miller Lite beer.

We always liked the easy-opening can, too. Godspeed, Mr. Smith.
Rageman
MSX Tour Support Act

Re: Bubba Smith - RIP

Post by Rageman »

About a week ago I was heading to get some tarps for a camping trip. At the store, I walked by a DVD display that had a sale on the 4 movie packs. I bought 3. Police Academy 1-7 and Loaded Weapon I were on two of them. The other was Clint Eastwood comedy pack . . . finally got Every Which Way But Loose and Any Which Way You Can on DVD . . . The Black Widows!

Anyways . . . the camping trip kind of sucked due to constant rain, but we had the tarps up, had our fire going and a laptop playing the first 3 Police Academy movies before the battery died partially through the 4th. I forgot how funny Tackleberry's character was, Michael Winslow, Steve Guttenberg, Bobcat Goldthwaite, Tim Kazurinski, Leslie Easterbrook(YUM) and of course Hooks and Hightower. Pretty amazing that they put out a movie every year from 84-89 . . . a true 80s institution.

RIP kind sir.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Subhuman Yeti
Headlining Clubs

Re: Bubba Smith - RIP

Post by Subhuman Yeti »

RIP

:(
"Afraid that the people might ask for a little more than the shit they get..."