A lockout is coming to NBA and it'll be here for some time

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

LAglamrocker
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Re: A lockout is coming to NBA and it'll be here for some ti

Post by LAglamrocker »

i hope the owners win, every team should have a chance to win
Jani Lane and Bret Michaels should form a band called "Nelson II"
johnk5150
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by johnk5150 »

LAglamrocker wrote:i hope the owners win, every team should have a chance to win
The owner's recklessness is a huge part of why this mess exists. It sucks because they're going to shut it down after one of their most successful seasons in years.
He's like the Liberace of bass & pot.

$tevil
Tommy
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Tommy »

LAglamrocker wrote:i hope the owners win, every team should have a chance to win

No they shouldn't.

I hate how there's some line of thinking in sports that everyone has to be equal. If you can't afford to keep up maybe you shouldn't be owning a team. The NHL lockout should have had some teams contract. All 4 leagues should contract a few actually.
yeahbuddy
Miserable Racist Turd

Post by yeahbuddy »

Tommy wrote:

No they shouldn't.

I hate how there's some line of thinking in sports that everyone has to be equal. If you can't afford to keep up maybe you shouldn't be owning a team. The NHL lockout should have had some teams contract. All 4 leagues should contract a few actually.
The owners are the ones footing the bill for EVERYTHING. The players think they own the league. The owners should start making the players fly commercial, and book them in shitty hotels to save some bucks versus chartered flights & luxury hotels.
Tommy
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Tommy »

yeahbuddy wrote:
Tommy wrote:

No they shouldn't.

The owners are the ones footing the bill for EVERYTHING. The players think they own the league. The owners should start making the players fly commercial, and book them in shitty hotels to save some bucks versus chartered flights & luxury hotels.

What I'm talking about is teams like the Knicks (no matter how awful) Celtics, Bulls, Lakers etc...supporting the whole god damn league. It's in the other sports too.
Subhuman Yeti
Headlining Clubs

Post by Subhuman Yeti »

The owners should start making the players fly commercial, and book them in shitty hotels to save some bucks versus chartered flights & luxury hotels.
:lol:

I'm sure that training camp/regular season/playoffs/Finals method has 1,000s of legendary winners with long careers.

Paying more than a few average -to- shitty players $40 million over 4 years (or more) really has nothing to do with an already losing teams annual finances.
It's really the hotels and the plane flights sinking over half of the NBA teams.

"Afraid that the people might ask for a little more than the shit they get..."
FullDJacket
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by FullDJacket »

Tommy wrote:
yeahbuddy wrote:
Tommy wrote:

No they shouldn't.

What I'm talking about is teams like the Knicks (no matter how awful) Celtics, Bulls, Lakers etc...supporting the whole god damn league. It's in the other sports too.
And more so in the NBA than in any of the other major leagues.

The NHL is supported by the canadian markets and a few hockey strongholds, ESPN and the networks can put on just about any football game and get huge ratings, there is always a decent size fanbase for baseball in every city.

The NBA is really not that strong from that perspective. It's like 4-6 very popular teams carry the league.
Luke 16:10 "and he that is unjust in the least, is unjust also in much"
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

the owners should be making the most money. that's the way the rest of the real world works.
Rainbow Bright
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Rainbow Bright »

johnk5150 wrote:
The owner's recklessness is a huge part of why this mess exists. It sucks because they're going to shut it down after one of their most successful seasons in years.
THIS.

While yes large contracts for mediocre players are absurd, (Joe Johnston, Greg Oden, A'Marie, Ben Wallace's Chicago deal, Baron Davis and of course the $20 Million David Kahn threw at Darko last season) its the owner's fault for acting like retards with their money. There's no reason to punish the players for shit like that.

If anything, it just proves that David Stern needs to be taken out back by Charles Oakley.
johnk5150

Post by johnk5150 »

Rainbow Bright wrote:
johnk5150 wrote:
THIS.

While yes large contracts for mediocre players are absurd, (Joe Johnston, Greg Oden, A'Marie, Ben Wallace's Chicago deal, Baron Davis and of course the $20 Million David Kahn threw at Darko last season) its the owner's fault for acting like retards with their money. There's no reason to punish the players for shit like that.

If anything, it just proves that David Stern needs to be taken out back by Charles Oakley.
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/674 ... view=print

The solution is simple if the owners could just stop paying lower to mid level players 35 to 50 millions dollars. They can't help themselves and now we have what we have. Which sucks for the 13 of us that still watch the games.

$tevil
nycyankee
Recording Debut Album

Post by nycyankee »

The NBA can disappear forever, I don't give a shit. The NBA died in the 90's.

Baseball and football is all that is needed.
FullDJacket
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by FullDJacket »

^I believe this years semifinals and NBA finals got better tv-ratings than the last couple of world series.
nycyankee
Recording Debut Album

Post by nycyankee »

FullDJacket wrote:^I believe this years semifinals and NBA finals got better tv-ratings than the last couple of world series.

Texas Rangers vs. SF Giants (boring)

VS.

The hated Heat(people rooting against them) vs. Dallas Mavericks.

I wonder which one is going to get more ratings? (sarcasm)

This year's NBA finals was fantastic, but the NBA as a whole is a joke.
grishnak boss

Post by grishnak boss »

a lot of shit over nothing, and just a bunch of bluffing

we'll have nba come next season
SatanOscillateMyMetallicSonatas

Dogma: I am God.
Skate4RnR

Post by Skate4RnR »

I'd like to thank the NY Knicks for keeping the NBA afloat.
ImageImageImage
FullDJacket
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by FullDJacket »

Skate4RnR wrote:I'd like to thank the NY Knicks for keeping the NBA afloat.
Yes I'm sure your precious Bobcats give you much joy.
johnk5150

Post by johnk5150 »

I love how they announced the schedule yesterday as if there's going to be a season.

$tevil
johnk5150

Post by johnk5150 »

Boozer and Durant listening to European teams. This is bad for the six of us that love this game.

$tevil
Tymaster

Post by Tymaster »

johnk5150 wrote:I love how they announced the schedule yesterday as if there's going to be a season.
Gesture of good faith? More like the arena's demanded the schedule so they can start booking a boatload of other events to keep the revenue stream coming. Concerts, circuses, motocross, wrestling, Big Bird on Ice, anything. Especially in small market cities with relatively new and unpaid for arenas.
LouDoo wrote:Neon has to be the most active poster who actually contributes the least, despite all the threads he starts. He has no redeeming value. He's completely useless.
Subhuman Yeti
Headlining Clubs

Post by Subhuman Yeti »

Boozer is a stupid fucking loser and Durant STILL hasn't won shit, despite all the nutswinging and ball polishing he gets from fucking idiots and ESPN...

Fuck off to Eurp...

You clowns won't WIN shit there either.
Tommy
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Tommy »

Subhuman Yeti wrote:Boozer is a stupid fucking loser and Durant STILL hasn't won shit, despite all the nutswinging and ball polishing he gets from fucking idiots and ESPN...

Fuck off to Eurp...

Dude, Durant is going to be the best player in the league in 2-3 years tops.
Subhuman Yeti
Headlining Clubs

Post by Subhuman Yeti »

Dreams don't always come true...

How many fucking ASSHOLES have been saying LeBronze is the best basketball ever... since he was in HS. All that hype and potential and he's done NOTHING.

Fuck you and fuck Durant.
johnk5150

Post by johnk5150 »

Subhuman Yeti wrote:Boozer is a stupid fucking loser and Durant STILL hasn't won shit, despite all the nutswinging and ball polishing he gets from fucking idiots and ESPN...

Fuck off to Eurp...

I can see why you'd have a problem with a guy not winning a title by the end of his fourth year in the league...Wait, what?

$tevil
Subhuman Yeti
Headlining Clubs

Post by Subhuman Yeti »

NBA pickup games: Blake Griffin finding work

Only in an alternate, non-locked-out universe can you see the continuation of Blake Griffin's career.

That world is a high-school gym eight miles south of the Clippers' training facility in which Griffin is not allowed to set foot during the NBA lockout.

Griffin was at Mira Costa High in Manhattan Beach to play Thursday, and the 2011 NBA Rookie of the Year wasn't just going through the motions. He went head-to-head with Derrick Williams, the recent No. 2 overall pick who is facing an extended wait before ever joining the Minnesota Timberwolves, in NBA-caliber pickup games that also included the Lakers' top draftee, Darius Morris.

(Click on the above photo of Griffin getting that knee iced postgame by Davis on Thursday to see some images of the preceding action – with captions from me about what other players were there or have been around and what they've been doing.)

Griffin, Williams and other pros are spending what could be the never-ending offseason training with Gameshape, a company run by Lamar Odom's personal trainer Robbie Davis and former Lakers massage therapist Marko Yrjovuori.

Some NBA players have taken part in weekend games at the Drew League in south Los Angeles or played in the Nike Real Run at Inglewood High, and there are some games at UCLA or Loyola Marymount, but Griffin is diligently building himself up with Gameshape.

He's working on his jump shot, for sure, but he's also doing a training regimen specifically geared to address weaknesses in his body structure. This is a big offseason for Griffin, who will always have the long scar over his left knee from that January 2010 surgery but no longer is shackled by strict rehab for it.

Griffin's ongoing fitness was evident earlier this week when he got loose in transition ahead of the pack, and had to reach back and around to control an off-target pass off the backboard. He still threw it down with such two-handed ungodliness that all the other players just headed for the exits because the moment was too awesome to top with any more play.
http://www.ocregister.com/sports/griffi ... -high.html

Artest (until Aug 28th) is about to sign with a team in England, Gasol playing for barcelona this summer already, other nba players looking elsewhere because they really want to play this fall, winter and spring...

NBA crumbling... :lol:
johnk5150

Post by johnk5150 »

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=6856992

I don't believe for a minute the players are asking for a 40% increase in average salaries. I also think if the owners are allowed to claim depreciation on things like stadiums and other fixed assets the players have to get guarantees they'll control spending on their entire operations before agreeing to the 8% cut the owners want off the top.

$tevil
bane
Threesome with Pam and Donna

Post by bane »

I don't care if it lasts 3 years. Fix it with something realistic. The current NBA fucking sucks. I won't miss it at all. That league is a disaster. A season of overpaid dudes going through the motions only to finally start caring and turn it on at playoff time? Just give me the playoffs then.. You can keep the rest. It pretty much sucks anyway.
johnk5150

Post by johnk5150 »

I'm not starting a new thread for this, but this is just fucking terrible.

Thieves rob DePaul assistant's home while abroad with Demons

It's the worst nightmare for anyone when they open the front door after returning home from vacation. DePaul assistant coach Billy Garrett returned from the Blue Demons' 11-day exhibition tour of France and found his family's home vacant.

Thieves robbed his South Side Chicago home of all things of value, even those items with purely sentimental value.

“They took everything,” Garrett told the Chicago Sun-Times. “They cleaned us out. Things that can’t be replaced, this really took some time.”

Garrett's wife, Annissa, and son, Billy Jr., also accompanied the team on the trip, so nobody was home to stop the thieves or report the crime until the family returned from France.

"My father (William) was the first black that played basketball in the Big Ten," the DePaul assistant said. "They took that jersey and his Globetrotter jersey. They also took my son's city championship ring and oxygen tank."

Billy Jr., a four-star prospect in the Class of 2013, has a rare form of sickle cell disease and needs to replenish his oxygen levels at night.

"My grandfather was 'Mr. Basketball' in Indiana in 1947," Billy Jr. told the Sun-Times. "I had his high school jersey framed in my room. They can have everything, but just give us back the things that don’t mean anything to anybody but us and I'll be happy."

$tevil
Tommy
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Tommy »

johnk5150 wrote:I'm not starting a new thread for this, but this is just fucking terrible.

Thieves rob DePaul assistant's home while abroad with Demons

It's the worst nightmare for anyone when they open the front door after returning home from vacation. DePaul assistant coach Billy Garrett returned from the Blue Demons' 11-day exhibition tour of France and found his family's home vacant.

Thieves robbed his South Side Chicago home of all things of value, even those items with purely sentimental value.

“They took everything,” Garrett told the Chicago Sun-Times. “They cleaned us out. Things that can’t be replaced, this really took some time.”

Garrett's wife, Annissa, and son, Billy Jr., also accompanied the team on the trip, so nobody was home to stop the thieves or report the crime until the family returned from France.

"My father (William) was the first black that played basketball in the Big Ten," the DePaul assistant said. "They took that jersey and his Globetrotter jersey. They also took my son's city championship ring and oxygen tank."

Billy Jr., a four-star prospect in the Class of 2013, has a rare form of sickle cell disease and needs to replenish his oxygen levels at night.

"My grandfather was 'Mr. Basketball' in Indiana in 1947," Billy Jr. told the Sun-Times. "I had his high school jersey framed in my room. They can have everything, but just give us back the things that don’t mean anything to anybody but us and I'll be happy."

No offense, and my town is getting there, but Chicago is a fucking shithole these days.

Awful story.
Rainbow Bright
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Rainbow Bright »

johnk5150 wrote:Boozer and Durant listening to European teams. This is bad for the six of us that love this game.
I think its a good thing. If the players say fuck it and go Euroball during the season, the owners will have to drop it quick if they hope to retain a team that draws in $$$$$
johnk5150

Post by johnk5150 »

Rainbow Bright wrote:
johnk5150 wrote:Boozer and Durant listening to European teams. This is bad for the six of us that love this game.
I think its a good thing. If the players say fuck it and go Euroball during the season, the owners will have to drop it quick if they hope to retain a team that draws in $$$$$
I'm hearing an October 15 deadline for missing games.

NBA

Players, owners meet in NYC

Owners and players returned to the bargaining table Wednesday, meeting for about six hours in New York City in just their second bargaining session since the league's lockout began July 1.

Neither side offered any specifics or would say if progress was made, but said they plan many more meetings in hopes of having basketball begin without interruption.

Commissioner David Stern and San Antonio owner Peter Holt, head of the labor relations committee, represented the owners at a Manhattan hotel. Executive director Billy Hunter and attorney Ron Klempner attended from the union.

$tevil