The official Rugby Union World Cup thread

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Re: The official Rugby Union World Cup thread

Post by demolition23 »

Yep, huge blow... The national angst will be even worse though, as it piles the pressure on Colin Slase, who's a fairly capable back-up but may not be ready for this much of the spotlight.

Secretly though, I think everyone has assumed either Carter or McCaw would get a serious injury at some stage...
Moggio wrote:You see, the problem with you is that you act like I have no credibility or something.
PhoenixFlames wrote:AVATAR made 2.7 billion which (maths) is close to 3 x million millions!!!!!!
demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

Headline here today...

Pumas emerge from Pool of Dearth :lol:
Moggio wrote:You see, the problem with you is that you act like I have no credibility or something.
PhoenixFlames wrote:AVATAR made 2.7 billion which (maths) is close to 3 x million millions!!!!!!
demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

Quarter-Finals

England/France
Ireland/Wales
Australia/South Africa
New Zealand/Argentina

All fairly solid matchups. NZ/Argentina is probably the least interesting, but Argentina are a professional side and if they hit their stride on a day we don't... Who knows?
Lofty
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Lofty »

A very good second half performance against Italy and now facing the Welch next Saturday. Both teams know each other so well from 6 nations games and celtic league and heineken cup with their club teams, so expect a tight encounter. The manager Warren Gatland will no doubt have something to say in the press as well

England looked very poor I have to say but the French look like they are in meltdown
CANCER IS A MOTHERFUCKER......BUT I'M GONNA MAKE IT MY BITCH......''CANCER......GET TO THE KITCHEN....AND MAKE ME A PIE''
demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

England have looked poor, but as it stands I'd still favour them to grind their way to the final. Would love to see Ireland or Wales make a final though. Would be great for the tournament...
pieceofme
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by pieceofme »

demolition23 wrote:Quarter-Finals

England/France
Ireland/Wales
Australia/South Africa
New Zealand/Argentina

All fairly solid matchups. NZ/Argentina is probably the least interesting, but Argentina are a professional side and if they hit their stride on a day we don't... Who knows?
Those quarter finals with the exception of NZ/Argentina as you mentioned look amazing. Can not wait for next weekend.

My predicitons:

England/France
Ireland/Wales
Australia/South Africa
New Zealand/Argentina
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

demolition23 wrote:England have looked poor, but as it stands I'd still favour them to grind their way to the final. Would love to see Ireland or Wales make a final though. Would be great for the tournament...
Yep :(

The amount of penalties we give away is absurd, but then we came out of a tough group with 4 wins out of 4 and as bad as we look the French look worse. Should never underestimate the French but think we will win that one. The game against either Wales or Ireland will be a lot tougher. And if we get through that I can't see us beating anyone with the exception of Argentina on the other side of the draw.

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

Right... 5 days of nothing, now bring on the quarters!

Wales.
South Africa.

We'll see soon though, I guess...
demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

Wherefore art thou England?!

A long way to go yet, but France look a million times better than they did in pool play. Those were excellent tries. I don't think England are going to be able to play from behind.

Wales/Ireland was an excellent game. Both played really positive rugby (so often 'negative' play is a southern criticism of northern teams - and something Scotland and England have both been guilty of). Wales/All Blacks would be my final of choice.
Lofty
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Lofty »

Gutted but proud of what Ireland have done in this tournament. At least they went out to play positively
CANCER IS A MOTHERFUCKER......BUT I'M GONNA MAKE IT MY BITCH......''CANCER......GET TO THE KITCHEN....AND MAKE ME A PIE''
Billy Shameless
Recording Your Demo

Post by Billy Shameless »

Fantastic performance by Wales earlier, their defence was outstanding. They should beat France on paper, but if the French are in the mood they can beat anyone. Australia v SA should be a great game. Wales v NZ would probably make for the best final 8)
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Urgh. England vs France was pretty horrible to watch. They deserved it though.
The amount of mistakes and the number of silly penalties we give away is ridiculous.
Our normal area of strength the pack is no more.
Still we do have some good young players so the future doesn't look too bad.

Ireland vs Wales was a great game. The Welsh defense was immense.

pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Billy Shameless wrote:Fantastic performance by Wales earlier, their defence was outstanding. They should beat France on paper, but if the French are in the mood they can beat anyone. Australia v SA should be a great game. Wales v NZ would probably make for the best final 8)
Wales vs South Africa. :x

Didn't you read my post about my dream!

demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

Fuck your dream and the horse it rode in on.

Side note: Quade Cooper sucks. Or is a flat-track bully at the very least.
demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

I am enjoying watching these two teams tenderize each other.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Fuck Fuck Fuck

First England, now South Africa out.

How South Africa didn't win that game is crazy.

I guess go Wales!

Jesus Christ.

demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

That was one hell of a fight by Australia, I'll give them that.

Right. Bring on Argentina.

We're awfully banged-up, but should put 15-20 on them. I'm not counting on anything though. An upset is always a possibility.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

demolition23 wrote:That was one hell of a fight by Australia, I'll give them that.

We're awfully banged-up, but should put 15-20 on them. I'm not counting on anything though. An upset is always a possibility.
I really hope so.

Redeem the quarters somewhat!

demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

pieceofme wrote:
demolition23 wrote:That was one hell of a fight by Australia, I'll give them that.

I really hope so.

I actually think that the quarters have been excellent thus far. France/England was a bit scrappy, but had some great play early. Wales/Ireland was an excellent game, and what we just saw was a war.
You just can't back a winning horse to save yourself. :wink:
demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

Well fuck, the ABs aren't playing well so far, and the Argentinian defence has bee pretty good. Their try was excellent too. It's going to be a nervy next 30 minutes in New Zealand... :|

-edit to Add: Starting to throw a lot more at them now, but damn they're defending tenaciously-
demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

Ahhhh... That's better. :D

Not a great performance, but the tough battle was needed.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

demolition23 wrote:
pieceofme wrote:

I really hope so.

I actually think that the quarters have been excellent thus far. France/England was a bit scrappy, but had some great play early. Wales/Ireland was an excellent game, and what we just saw was a war.
You just can't back a winning horse to save yourself. :wink:
Ha.Yeah in all fairness they have been good games just not the results I wanted in three of them. And truth be told I was pretty indifferent to Wales vs Ireland.

Well prediction time for the semis:

Wales vs France
New Zealand vs Australia

Then New Zealand to beat Wales in the final.

Australia to finish third.

Sleazyjack
Recording Your Demo

Post by Sleazyjack »

That was pretty poor by England , ah well! back to the league , COME ON YOU WORCESTER BOYS!!!!
demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

The semis are almost upon us!

Wales over France.
All Blacks over Wallabies.

I wouldn't want my life to depend on either pick though... Full strength All Blacks > Full strength Wallabies, but with all the injuries that have piled up, who knows?

Likewise, Wales have been far better in this tournament than France, but France were every bit as good as anyone during their first half against England last week.

Definitely going to be interesting games.
demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

Fuck. Warburton just blew it badly.

That's the game sadly. Very disappointing unless Wales pull off some sort of miracle. Still, by modern interpretations that was certainly yellow card, and probably red card-worthy, so c'est la vie.

Interestingly, the last Welshman to be sent off in a World Cup game was in the 1987 semi-final. Which they lost.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Wales down to 14 men!

Harsh but he had to go.

Can't see the French blowing this opportunity.

pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

demolition23 wrote:Fuck. Warburton just blew it badly.

That's the game sadly. Very disappointing unless Wales pull off some sort of miracle. Still, by modern interpretations that was certainly yellow card, and probably red card-worthy, so c'est la vie.

Interestingly, the last Welshman to be sent off in a World Cup game was in the 1987 semi-final. Which they lost.
They got hammered in that one.

France in the final!

After the pool performances!

One decent performance against England.

Unconvincing so far against the Welsh.

Whoever makes the final out of of Australia vs New Zealand might as well just pick up the world cup after that game.

demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

pieceofme wrote:Wales down to 14 men!

Harsh but he had to go.

Can't see the French blowing this opportunity.

No. I'm sure they won't.

If Wales were leading with 20/30 minutes to go, the sending off may have added some spice to proceedings, but this is going to kill the game. I'm sure they'll fight hard, but losing Jones and then Warburton and playing a man down for 60 odd minutes? Doubtful.
demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

Jesus, or will they...?

Whatever the case, brave display from Wales, exceedingly mediocre display from France.
demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

France: The least impressive World Cup finalists ever.

40 good minutes against a mediocre England side and nothing else remotely impressive all tournament. Who knows what will happen in the final, but the All Blacks and Wallabies will have to destroy each other for France to have a prayer next week.