NFL 2011 Thread

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

SkyDog112046
Headlining Clubs

Re: NFL 2011 Thread

Post by SkyDog112046 »

The Playoff Machine on ESPN let's you drum up all kinds of playoff scenarios:
http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/machine

Denver is still technically alive for the #2 seed. I thought the best they could do mathematically is the #4, but technically they could still get the #2.

It will never happen, but if they were to win out and Houston, Pittsburgh, and Baltimore all lose out while Indy beats Jax in week 17 Denver would be the #2 seed.
bane
Threesome with Pam and Donna

Post by bane »

There is no way Denver seeds higher than 4. I don't know if I agree with your take on NE. They put up a lot of points against a very good Denver D last week . It's kind of a crapshoot if you ask me.
Facedown
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by Facedown »

I don't think the Pats will do much in the playoffs unless the seeds fall right.
As bad as the Patriots defense is at 32 out of 32, wanna take a guess as to who is 31?
Green Bay.
bonedog wrote:I let Facedown get the better of me
bonedog wrote:My first kid will be born when I am 47.
bonedog wrote:I suck at sludging.
SkyDog112046
Headlining Clubs

Post by SkyDog112046 »

bane wrote:There is no way Denver seeds higher than 4. I don't know if I agree with your take on NE. They put up a lot of points against a very good Denver D last week . It's kind of a crapshoot if you ask me.
Denver is going to be the #4. I thought they were already eliminated from anything higher, but mathematically they could get the #2(but oddly enough not the #3). It will never, ever happen. But you can have some fun playing out all the playoff scenarios through the link I put up.

Denver's D is good, not great. And the only reason the Patriots put up so many points is because of 3 Denver turnovers. Teams with 3-0 turnover edge rarely lose games. Once New England got up 18 points off of the turnovers Denver had to go one dimensional and that crappy defense could tee off on the passing game.

The problem with New England is the offense starts off slow and the defense is worthless with anything less than a 3 score lead. That's fine against lousy teams but it won't cut it against Baltimore or Pittsburgh and they will have to face one of them in the Divisional round. I'm guessing NE-1, Pitt & Balt - 2 & 5, Hou-3, Den-4, Houston wins WC and plays #2 while Denver loses in the WC so #5 goes to New England. And Pitt or Balt beats them.

I hope I'm wrong but I've watched every snap this year and nothing I've seen points to that defense being fixable, especially with Carter gone. Belichick gambled on Haynesworth and converted to a 4-3 instead of drafting an OLB and it didn't work out. Did you know that up until this year New England was still running Chuck Fairbank's 2-gap 3-4 defense from the 70's(Parcells was on his staff). The conversion has been a disaster with the wrong personnel in place. It's just not fixable until the 2012 draft and only then if they use 3 of their two 1st and two 2nds on D-line, OLB, and CB. It's just a mess.
poizond13
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by poizond13 »

bane wrote:P13 has never PM'd me. I congratulated him on his team's first win after he came in here and actually talked football instead of smack for a few days. Go jerk to your pics dude. You know you have a few with Rodgers in them.

Sorry lumi, that was directed at the green bay dude with the rainbow collection.
:lol:

D2W is the biggest homo on the board. It doesn't surprise me at all that he'd have a picture like that saved in his personal collection. The only surprising thing is that Richie Kotzen isn't one of the guys in the picture. :lol:
DISCLAIMER: The below images were forced upon me against my will by the moderator and are NOT of my choosing.

poizond13
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by poizond13 »

bane wrote:
Machado wrote: I understand. From my advantage point, it would be hilarious if the team with the most need at QB and in contention for the #1 overall pick suddenly gets "hot" and removes themselves from the chance.
They won one game. Let's not get too excited here. The Colts have needs all over the place though, so in some ways losing out on Luck might not be all that bad for them.
I don't think we will win on Thursday, but it wouldn't be a total shock either, given the situation the Texans are in. Even if they don't rest any starters, I don't really think they're going to go "all in" to get the victory. If we play defense like we did on Sunday and run the ball well, anything's possible. I like seeing the team win games, but at the same time, I don't think it would be good for the franchise in the long term if we play ourselves out of the first pick.

The one good thing about this season is that we've had to rely on the running game and have become more of a power running team, which will help us next year if/when Peyton returns. We've got three backs who all play a different style, yet are all effective and capable starting backs. The O-Line is finally healthy and playing much better. The defense also played much better last week, but no doubt there will be some wholesale personnel changes needed in the secondary and D-line in order to make a consistent improvement. Although, the linebackers are playing as well as any Colts linebacker group I can remember. The major holes on this team (besides QB at the moment) are in the secondary and defensive tackle. I'm sure those will be the major priorities in the offseason and draft.
DISCLAIMER: The below images were forced upon me against my will by the moderator and are NOT of my choosing.

Crazy Levi
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Crazy Levi »

Caldwell just announced he won't let Peyton take any more snaps in practice for the season because he doesn't want to "take snap from Painter and Orlovsky."
AliceManson
Headlining Clubs

Post by AliceManson »

Luminiferous wrote:
AliceManson wrote:I don't mind the Steelers, it's the fans. You'd be hard pressed to find a more obnoxious group of fans.
I'm a Polamalu fan, but I think you may be onto something..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgg60Kxn5SQ&sns=fb
EatTheGlass wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:26 am I'd bet my house that Grohl shuts the Foos down now
Nibbler wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 8:33 pm Looks like Alex has shitcanned the Van Hagar remasters.
Heenan Snuka
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by Heenan Snuka »

Luminiferous wrote:
I'm a Polamalu fan, but I think you may be onto something..

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Stoner wrote:
...we stopped at a restaurant to eat and I was wearing a Sludge shirt. Someone came up and asked me if I read the messageboard - I touched cloth for a split second and then said the shirt was my husband's and just looked at them retardedly.
AliceManson
Headlining Clubs

Post by AliceManson »

TheImpaler9 wrote:
AliceManson wrote:The 49ers make a joke of the Steelers in front of a prime time national audience. Ask the Steeler fans why they lost. Their answer is that the city of San Fran cut off the power so the Steelers lost momentum.
Again as A Steelers fan I will chime in and say...They lost because Ben made his usual amount of mistakes and really shouldn't have been playing. After the first two interceptions the couching staff needs to have the balls to tell Ben to sit. The defense also couldn't stop shit on third down.

The Steelers need a new coaching staff. Cowher may have choked in big games, but he did build that team, and ran it with discipline. Tomlin wants to be their friend, he could care less about penalties or rules. He refuses to sit down and explain anything to Harrison or Clark.
EatTheGlass wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:26 am I'd bet my house that Grohl shuts the Foos down now
Nibbler wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 8:33 pm Looks like Alex has shitcanned the Van Hagar remasters.
poizond13
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by poizond13 »

Crazy Levi wrote:Caldwell just announced he won't let Peyton take any more snaps in practice for the season because he doesn't want to "take snap from Painter and Orlovsky."
Yup, I think it is the right decision. If Peyton won't be playing, no point in having him practice with the team, when he can just be working with his rehab personnel and throwing the ball based on what his personal regiment calls for. I don't think he's able to ramp up his activity that much to be able to work with the team anyway. Last week he threw a scripted thirty passes mixed in with some hand offs. I think that went well, but obviously not well enough to where he could play in the last two weeks. From everything I'm hearing, Peyton wants to play, but the team is protecting him from himself and making sure he doesn't come back too early.

On the positive side, Peyton will continue to work at the Colts complex into the offseason, which will be allowed since he'll fail a season ending physical. So he can keep throwing under team supervision into January and February, and by March, team management will have a good handle on how he's doing physically, so that they can make the right decisions on his contract, the draft, etc.

Crazy Levi

Post by Crazy Levi »

poizond13 wrote:
Crazy Levi wrote:Caldwell just announced he won't let Peyton take any more snaps in practice for the season because he doesn't want to "take snap from Painter and Orlovsky."
Yup, I think it is the right decision. If Peyton won't be playing, no point in having him practice with the team, when he can just be working with his rehab personnel and throwing the ball based on what his personal regiment calls for. I don't think he's able to ramp up his activity that much to be able to work with the team anyway. Last week he threw a scripted thirty passes mixed in with some hand offs. I think that went well, but obviously not well enough to where he could play in the last two weeks. From everything I'm hearing, Peyton wants to play, but the team is protecting him from himself and making sure he doesn't come back too early.

On the positive side, Peyton will continue to work at the Colts complex into the offseason, which will be allowed since he'll fail a season ending physical. So he can keep throwing under team supervision into January and February, and by March, team management will have a good handle on how he's doing physically, so that they can make the right decisions on his contract, the draft, etc.
They should draft a QB to sit behind Manning a few years.

I'd consider trading down, passing on luck, and taking the 3rd or 4th QB in the draft.

Everybody tries to compare this to Rogers sitting behind Farvre, but Rogers was a #25 draft pick, not a #1 draft pick.
poizond13
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by poizond13 »

Crazy Levi wrote:
poizond13 wrote:

They should draft a QB to sit behind Manning a few years.

I'd consider trading down, passing on luck, and taking the 3rd or 4th QB in the draft.

Everybody tries to compare this to Rogers sitting behind Farvre, but Rogers was a #25 draft pick, not a #1 draft pick.
Who knows man, there are a lot of options. Like I said a lot of it depends on things that still need to be sorted out, like Peyton's health, their evaluation of Luck through the combine, workouts, etc. Polian and Irsay have made it clear they want to draft a QB, if the right one is there. If they determine Luck to be the real deal and as rare a talent as everybody says, I'm sure they'll want to pick him and try to find some way to have him sit behind Manning for a couple years and learn. No one knows if Luck would be open to that or not, same deal with Peyton. It's a tough situation. If they don't think Luck is all he's cracked up to be, then they can draft someone else or trade the pick. Will be real interesting to see how it plays out. One way or the other, this offseason will determine what the franchise will look like 5-10 years down the road. Lots of tough decisions to be made.

TheImpaler9
Learning KISS Riffs

Post by TheImpaler9 »

AliceManson wrote:
TheImpaler9 wrote:
AliceManson wrote:The 49ers make a joke of the Steelers in front of a prime time national audience. Ask the Steeler fans why they lost. Their answer is that the city of San Fran cut off the power so the Steelers lost momentum.
Again as A Steelers fan I will chime in and say...They lost because Ben made his usual amount of mistakes and really shouldn't have been playing. After the first two interceptions the couching staff needs to have the balls to tell Ben to sit. The defense also couldn't stop shit on third down.

The Steelers need a new coaching staff. Cowher may have choked in big games, but he did build that team, and ran it with discipline. Tomlin wants to be their friend, he could care less about penalties or rules. He refuses to sit down and explain anything to Harrison or Clark.

If you would have said to me last year they needed a new couching staff I would have said you are nuts. I agree 100% now. The players run the team. Someone needs to put the hammer down on these idiots. Unfortunately knowing how the Rooney's stick with a coach it won't happen for another decade. Between this and having Ben as a QB really makes being a Steeler fan tough.
bane

Post by bane »

poizond13 wrote: Who knows man, there are a lot of options. Like I said a lot of it depends on things that still need to be sorted out, like Peyton's health, their evaluation of Luck through the combine, workouts, etc. Polian and Irsay have made it clear they want to draft a QB, if the right one is there. If they determine Luck to be the real deal and as rare a talent as everybody says, I'm sure they'll want to pick him and try to find some way to have him sit behind Manning for a couple years and learn. No one knows if Luck would be open to that or not, same deal with Peyton. It's a tough situation. If they don't think Luck is all he's cracked up to be, then they can draft someone else or trade the pick. Will be real interesting to see how it plays out. One way or the other, this offseason will determine what the franchise will look like 5-10 years down the road. Lots of tough decisions to be made.
What's the local take on their free agents? They've got a whole bunch of name guys coming up this off season. Do they have cap room to keep those guys or are they gonna go young?
poizond13
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by poizond13 »

bane wrote:
poizond13 wrote: Who knows man, there are a lot of options. Like I said a lot of it depends on things that still need to be sorted out, like Peyton's health, their evaluation of Luck through the combine, workouts, etc. Polian and Irsay have made it clear they want to draft a QB, if the right one is there. If they determine Luck to be the real deal and as rare a talent as everybody says, I'm sure they'll want to pick him and try to find some way to have him sit behind Manning for a couple years and learn. No one knows if Luck would be open to that or not, same deal with Peyton. It's a tough situation. If they don't think Luck is all he's cracked up to be, then they can draft someone else or trade the pick. Will be real interesting to see how it plays out. One way or the other, this offseason will determine what the franchise will look like 5-10 years down the road. Lots of tough decisions to be made.
What's the local take on their free agents? They've got a whole bunch of name guys coming up this off season. Do they have cap room to keep those guys or are they gonna go young?
That's another big unknown. The big ones are Reggie Wayne, Robert Mathis, and Jeff Saturday. I'm not sure if Saturday wants to come back for another year or two, or retire. He's one of the oldest players in the league but is still performing well. I'm sure the team will want him back with no capable replacement on hand. If we keep Peyton and hold onto the #1 pick, we probably wouldn't be able to afford all three of those players. In that case, I think we will re-sign Mathis and let Wayne go, sadly. In this defensive system, getting pressure on the QB from the DEs is absolutely vital, and Mathis has been a consistently good player for us for a long time. He hasn't shown any decline either. The guy who we drafted to replace him, Jerry Hughes, has been a complete bust, so we have no one to replace Mathis with.

Reggie Wayne is one of my favorite Colts of all time. The things he's done for this team on and off the field are immense. It would be a real shame to see him go. But it is a business, and he is a WR that is getting up there in age. He still has a few good years left in him, I just don't know if we'll be able to afford him. Supposedly Wayne thinks the team won't bring him back next year, and I have to agree. I hope I'm wrong.

I think we'll find a way to re-sign Mathis and Saturday, if he still wants to play.

SkyDog112046
Headlining Clubs

Post by SkyDog112046 »

If they want to draft Luck they will probably try to restructure Manning's deal. Manning collected a big chunk of change already for the contract he signed right before he found out he was unable to play. With the concerns regarding his health, can he play again, how effective will he be, how durable, etc... it wouldn't make sense to keep him on his current deal and pay another $6M a year for his backup. They have an out they can exercise before free agency starts in March.

A team with as many holes as they have isn't going to want to tie up $25M of a $120M cap in one position unless they planned on being bad for a few years while they rebuild and then it simply doesn't make sense to go with a big money veteran QB. If they are confident Manning will be 100% they could trade that pick down and fill in some holes while picking up a QB who needs grooming and let them spend a few years watching Manning.
Skate4RnR

Post by Skate4RnR »

DOWN2WHISKEY wrote:Hats off to Kansas City!!! The Chiefs whooped us worse than what the score shows!
And man I live down here and you know we know how good the green and gold are. You don't have to tell us that.

The Bay had a bad game and our D was on. It's good for both teams, now all these Chiefs fans are counting out who has to win and lose to get in the playoffs and I'm like "this division sucks fuck off!"

GB will win the superbowl IMO.
DOWN2WHISKEY wrote:

I live in Kansas.
Thanks for not bein' a dick, it's the best for your team. It'll help 'em out really.

:lol: I'm sorry, you know how diehard we are even though we suffer from chronic suckness.
ImageImageImage
Skate4RnR

Post by Skate4RnR »

Oh fuck any haters, it was best for GB no doubt. It just sucks that you're in Kansass. Chiefs country.
ImageImageImage
bane

Post by bane »

Are you a Pack fan due to familial connection, or a prior residence in the region, or did you just latch on once they got good? If its either of the former, no worries, if it's the latter, you're a douchebag.
Tymaster

Post by Tymaster »

When did Bane and P13 begin dating?
LouDoo wrote:Neon has to be the most active poster who actually contributes the least, despite all the threads he starts. He has no redeeming value. He's completely useless.
Crazy Levi

Post by Crazy Levi »

Tymaster wrote:When did Bane and P13 begin dating?
Everybody is completely relieved that out of nowehre, P13 decided to stop being a total douchebag and actually act like a real football fan for once.

Some people are just taking that gratitude a bit too far.

Sadly, we all know the real P13 will show up again..and soon. Unless even HE is tired of his brain-dead nutswingery act.

I don't want to get too involved, and create a love triangle, but I like the new P13 too.
Tymaster

Post by Tymaster »

Crazy Levi wrote:
Tymaster wrote:When did Bane and P13 begin dating?
Everybody is completely relieved that out of nowehre, P13 decided to stop being a total douchebag and actually act like a real football fan for once.

Some people are just taking that gratitude a bit too far.

Sadly, we all know the real P13 will show up again..and soon. Unless even HE is tired of his brain-dead nutswingery act.

I don't want to get too involved, and create a love triangle, but I like the new P13 too.
Aha. I refuse to banter football with P13. Sorry. My pug has more knowledge of the game.
LouDoo wrote:Neon has to be the most active poster who actually contributes the least, despite all the threads he starts. He has no redeeming value. He's completely useless.
poizond13
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by poizond13 »

Great interview with Jim Irsay on the NFL Network pre game show. He made it crystal clear that if Peyton is healthy, he will be a COLT next year!! He said $$ is not an issue, and if a good quarterback is available in the draft, he would not hesitate to take him. It's great to have an owner who is committed to winning! In my opinion, Jim Irsay is the best owner in the league.

Tenacious_Dio
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Tenacious_Dio »

Okay, that's 2 wins for Indy, with a very winnable game against the Jags next week. So long, Andrew Luck?
poizond13
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by poizond13 »

WHAT A GAME!!! WHAT A WIN!!! I couldn't care less about the draft right now! That was an amazing win and it feels great to get that victory. To see the team play that well on the national stage and win it on the last drive, it felt just like the old days. This shows you a lot about the character and the heart of this team. And I think coach Caldwell just saved his job. He still has this team ready and playing hard, and you have to give him props for that. Congratulations to the Texans on their season and best of luck in the playoffs... but it feels good to know that even in a down year and without Peyton, they still can't win in our house!

Reggie Wayne.. I'll say it again, that man is one of my favorite Colts of all time. He's a clutch player and he gets it done. He does things the right way, never being a diva, never complaining, and never drawing attention to himself. He's been about the team 100% since day one. Today was just another example. I sincerely hope he is back next year. If not, I will continue to be a fan of Reggie wherever he plays.

This is the type of game that makes me proud to be a Colts fan. No matter the record, the team is still fighting, and the fans and the city are still rallying around the team. That atmosphere was electric!
Last edited by poizond13 on Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crazy Levi

Post by Crazy Levi »

It's crazy...they just threw a big wrench into the draft.

Rams, Vikes, and Colts, all with 2 wins.
Tommy
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Tommy »

poizond13 wrote:WHAT A GAME!!! WHAT A WIN!!! I couldn't care less about the draft right now! That was an amazing win and it feels great to get that victory. To see the team play that well on the national stage and win it on the last drive, it felt just like the old days. This shows you a lot about the character and the heart of this team. And I think coach Caldwell just saved his job. He still has this team ready and playing hard, and you have to give him props for that. Congratulations to the Texans on their season and best of luck in the playoffs... but it feels good to know that even in a down year and without Peyton, they still can't win in our house!

Reggie Wayne.. I'll say it again, that man is one of my favorite Colts of all time. He's a clutch player and he gets it done. He does things the right way, never being a diva, never complaining, and never drawing attention to himself. He's been about the team 100% since day one. Today was just another example. I sincerely hope he is back next year. If not, I will continue to be a fan of Reggie wherever he plays.

This is the type of game that makes me proud to be a Colts fan. No matter the record, the team is still fighting, and the fans and the city are still rallying around the team. That atmosphere was electric!
Knowing that you may have to be the spoiler team at the end of the year in week 5 really sucks.

Being a fan of the spoiler in week 16 is kinda fun.

Yes, yes Houston has already clinched. Still, they didn't want to lose that one.
tin00can
Headlining Clubs

Post by tin00can »

poizond13 wrote: This shows you a lot about the character and the heart of this team.

What did the first fourteen weeks show us about the heart of that team?
Crazy Levi

Post by Crazy Levi »

poizond13 wrote:Great interview with Jim Irsay on the NFL Network pre game show. He made it crystal clear that if Peyton is healthy, he will be a COLT next year!! He said $$ is not an issue, and if a good quarterback is available in the draft, he would not hesitate to take him. .
You can't really be this stupid.

Umm...yeah right. You actually can, as your track record shows.

You REALLY think the CEO of the Colts is just throwing his entire draft/offseason strategy out there for everybody to see? Even HE isn't that stupid.

He's just trying to drive up the value of whatever pick he ends up with. You can't take any of that bullshit seriously.