The NFL Thread

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

WTF
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Re: NFL Thread, Bitches!!!!

Post by WTF »

So does this new rule go for receivers too? While some DBs are still boneheaded and do lead with their heads, half the flagrant penalty calls seem to be caused by the receiver lower their heads directly into the path of the defender.
NeverSurrender
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by NeverSurrender »

demolition23 wrote:
Crazy Levi wrote:
NeverSurrender wrote:Oh boy somebody just fucked up their leg bad in the NCAA tourney. Better make sure they quit jumping.
Also, you know what hurts people a lot?

Cars. I'm thinking we should ban cars.
Or put in place a bunch of rules and safety requirements to keep them safe... Wait...

Yes, we all need more rules. For everything.
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

WTF wrote:So does this new rule go for receivers too? While some DBs are still boneheaded and do lead with their heads, half the flagrant penalty calls seem to be caused by the receiver lower their heads directly into the path of the defender.
Good point.

Don't quote me on it, but I think it's any offensive player outside the tackles.

Can't wait to see what the refs do when they both lower their heads at the same time, are they offsetting? What a complete fucking joke. These moronic refs can't get shit right now, let's throw more rules at them.
WTF

Post by WTF »

NeverSurrender wrote:
WTF wrote:So does this new rule go for receivers too? While some DBs are still boneheaded and do lead with their heads, half the flagrant penalty calls seem to be caused by the receiver lower their heads directly into the path of the defender.
Good point.

Don't quote me on it, but I think it's any offensive player outside the tackles.

Can't wait to see what the refs do when they both lower their heads at the same time, are they offsetting? What a complete fucking joke. These moronic refs can't get shit right now, let's throw more rules at them.
Hopefully it'll be reviewable. I like when they go under the hood for 5 minutes.
Crazy Levi

Post by Crazy Levi »

They really should make these plays reviewable - I'm pretty sure NO penalties are reviewable at this time, but it's a lot of pressure on these refs to determine if someone is leading with their head. Seems like replay would be a good way to enforce these rules.
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

WTF wrote:
NeverSurrender wrote:
Good point.

Hopefully it'll be reviewable. I like when they go under the hood for 5 minutes.

Make every play reviewable. Why not? This shit is heading towards being unwatchable already.
Crazy Levi

Post by Crazy Levi »

NeverSurrender wrote:
Make every play reviewable. Why not? This shit is heading towards being unwatchable already.
You are the only person on the planet who feels this way.

The NFL is more popular than ever.
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

Crazy Levi wrote:
NeverSurrender wrote:
You are the only person on the planet who feels this way.

The NFL is more popular than ever.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ycn-11005122
WTF

Post by WTF »

But 5 minutes after Aikman made those comments, he forgot what the fuck he was talking about.
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

WTF wrote:
But 5 minutes after Aikman made those comments, he forgot what the fuck he was talking about.

ban him!!
Facedown

Post by Facedown »

49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha.
bonedog wrote:I let Facedown get the better of me
bonedog wrote:My first kid will be born when I am 47.
bonedog wrote:I suck at sludging.
Crazy Levi

Post by Crazy Levi »

Facedown wrote:49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha.
Lol. Good luck with that.

The disaster that was the Eagles 2011 Dream Team is the best thing ever.

It's finally taken the heat off the 2000 Redskins Dream Team.
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

JaMarcus Russell has lost 27 lbs.
Based on this video I don't think so.
The man is huge, appears out of shape, has no muscle definition.
He has to be kidding about making a comeback in the NFL

http://gnli.christianpost.com/video/the ... -call-9178
eddie lee roth

Post by eddie lee roth »

There isn't a GM in the NFL that wants anything to do with his sorry ass.

Good on him I guess for trying to live healthier but he can forget about the NFL.
poizond13
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by poizond13 »

COLTS MAILBAG

INDIANAPOLIS – Readers of Colts.com may submit questions during the week and have a chance to have them answered during the middle of each week. Submit your question here.

Here are responses to some of the questions received recently. We thank you for your interest in the Colts.

ERIC M. (from Gouldsboro, ME) If the Colts don’t end up landing Darrius Heyward-Bey, do you think that there is a potential chance that they could go after Randy Moss as maybe a short-term solution? It doesn’t seem that a market for him is really sparking right now. Could be at a bargain price, and it would provide a bit more veteran leadership in the locker room.

A: As you know now, we have reached an agreement with Darrius Heyward-Bey, and we look forward to the talents he will bring. We know about his speed, and Ryan Grigson says his finishing kick is as good as there is in the league. Ryan also likes his size (6-2, 216) and toughness with the physical play at the position. Had we not gotten him, I don’t believe Moss would have had much consideration. I don’t want to disregard anything Moss has accomplished, but that move here would have been a surprise. Like you do with veterans of his type, you wish him well. We are pleased to add Heyward-Bey among our receivers.

MELANIE M. (from Walnut Cove, NC) What positions do you think the Colts will try to address early in the draft?

A: If you look at the areas addressed in free agency, it pretty much has been targeted across the board. I have no inside knowledge, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s on the offensive line or in the secondary. Those are just guesses. Where we are picking will help determine that to some extent, but we’ll find out for sure in about three weeks. That’s not much of an answer, admittedly. Carnac the Magnificent might say a child of four could provide that response. Our thoughts are hermetically sealed in the draft room, not in a #2 mayonnaise jar on Funk and Wagnall’s porch.

RICK K. (from Westfield, NC) Are there any free agents left on the market that the Colts are trying to target?

A: We’ve done a great deal of shopping so far, the most signees ever in unrestricted free agency by us. We’ve been aggressive and prudent, just as Ryan Grigson promised early in the process. We also landed Matt Hasselbeck and Darrius Heyward-Bey through regular free agency. I would think we’re done, but you never know.

ENRIQUE H. (from Bakersfield, CA) If Darrius Heyward-Bey doesn’t sign with the Colts and since they want a WR to be here after Reggie Wayne leaves will they take one at #24 (first-round pick)? There will be good ones there like DeAndre Hopkins, Keenan Allen, Robert Woods and Quinton Patton, so will the Colts maybe take one of them? If Griff Whalen makes the 53-man roster he most likely won’t be one of the starting WRs, but how many games he will play in throughout the season (5 or 10 or 12, etc.)?

A: With the addition of Darius Heyward-Bey, I don’t know if that will impact how we approach our first choice. Getting a player of his stature who is early in his career may preclude us from taking another receiver in the first round. We are fortunate to have young talent, some of which has gotten on the field already and some that could with some good work this spring and summer. One recent mock draft by a former NFL GM had five receivers going in the first round, including one to us not named above. (That was done prior to our agreement with Heyward-Bey). There seems to be good depth at this position in the draft. If Ryan Grigson still sees the position as a “need” one, he has demonstrated he is willing to pull deals to match need with available talent. If Griff makes the 53-man roster, I hope he plays in every game possible. We don’t keep guys on it and target less than playing the maximum amount of games.

R.J. E. (from Marion, IN) First, let me say GREAT JOB to our fearless leader, Ryan Grigson. You turned it around faster than any of us expected. Keep making us proud. My question is this, will training camp be held in Anderson this year? It is not only closer to me personally, but it is central to the entire state, making it fair travel distance for all hometown fans.

A: We’re not quite to the point yet for any news on the training camp location. You certainly are in the backyard if we are in Anderson again. The attendance levels have been very good during our return there. The Indianapolis-Anderson corridor is decidedly more populated than when we trained there from 1984-98. It is centrally located and convenient for a large number of fans. The people at the University are solid. We’ll see, and hopefully we have some news soon.

RAUL H. (from El Paso, TX) Since the Colts didn’t sign Darrius Heyward-Bey, do you think Chad Johnson and Randy Moss could probably be in the Colts mystery wide receiver mix?

A: See above, Raul. Prior to the Monday addition of Heyward-Bey, I was not sure there is a fit there at all for either guy. Their playing pastures likely will have to be somewhere else.

MAURICE G. (from Cleveland, MS) Hello Craig! Your columns are great! My question is, why are the experts so confused or classifying our free agency moves as terrible? Ryan Grigson made it clear that we would target young players who would fit our team and systems. That’s exactly what he did. Arguably, Erik Walden is over-paid, but no contract Grigson gave out will hinder us. Furthermore, all these guys were healthy last year. What gives with the negativity? Fan since “Captain Comeback.”

A: Thanks for the compliment. I appreciate it and hope you keep reading. I think the reviews of our free agent activity have been more positive than negative. Any action like we have had will have its naysayers. That goes with the turf. Ryan was open about how he was going about the process. Like always, he’s a man of his word. I think we’ve made moves that will create great competition in the spring, and the results will show in the fall. Your opinion of Erik Walden is noted, but we think he can contribute. It’s an exciting time, and this month will further define our team. Thanks for your long-term support over many years. See if you can come up with a nickname for Andrew Luck since he played for Captain Comeback.

DAVID H. (from Sebring, FL) If the Colts solve the problems with their offensive line protection this year and protect Andrew Luck better, will we see more of our RBs catching the ball out of the backfield like Joseph Addai and Dominic Rhodes did?

Are you R-E-A-D-Y for some football? I cannot wait until the season starts again. Has the team set dates for when they will be starting camp and workout dates for the upcoming season? Will they have a public workout at Lucas Oil Stadium for fans this year?

A: I think you will see a great deal of action by our backs in the passing game this year. The trade for Stanley Havili is another indicator that such contributions are possible this season. Joseph was a pretty complete receiver. Dominic was not as natural as Joseph or Edgerrin, but he worked hard. Our current guys are capable in the passing game. We’re getting R-E-A-D-Y, too. The voluntary workouts start in a couple of weeks. It’s a nine-week process that will involve more football-related work in weeks 3-5 and 6-9. We will have a rookie mini-camp from May 10-12, some OTA work that will start after that and a full-team mandatory mini-camp from June 11-13. On June 12, we will work in Lucas Oil Stadium in front of the public from 5:30 to 8:00 p.m. Last year, we had about 7,500 attend that session. Let’s blow that away this year.

DAN (from Fort Wayne, IN) If a team went out and signed a couple big-name free agents in March and then traded those same players in April for draft picks how would that affect that team’s salary cap? And if there is no penalty for doing that, why don’t teams do this more often?

A: There would be no penalty for doing this, but why would a team go through the machinations of signing a free agent only to trade him? Certainly, any signing and/or roster bonus (if the date were before the trade) would be lost, and owners and general managers hate that. Also, if a team wanted to trade for a player signed by another team as a free agent it would have done so itself without losing a draft pick. While there may be an unusual case where this happens (see Drew Stanton last year), it just is not really how the business goes.

CORY P. (from Indianapolis) Since the Colts are in need of a WR, do you think they would consider signing Domenik Hixon? I think he would give them a tall guy that can catch for a TD if you need him to.

A: I never heard much chatter about him in relation to us. I’ve seen his name attached to four different teams in the free agency period. Since we got Heyward-Bey on Monday, I would think we’re done with addressing the receiver position in free agency.

JONATHAN L. (from Los Angeles, CA) We have picked up some great acquisitions this offseason (Matt Hasselbeck, Ricky Jean-Francois), but don't you feel like we over-reached in free agency? Erik Walden, who they claim is the best “edge setter” in the league, was given a ridiculously large amount of money for someone who is so one-dimensional, and the most popular pickup being LaRon Landry, who is severely injury prone. Sure, he is a ballplayer, but only when he can play. Anyone remember Bob Sanders?

A: I don’t think we’ve over-reached. We certainly would not commit dollars to a player we only hoped could play. Give it some time. LaRon Landry missed some time only twice in six previous seasons. Other than that, he’s been a force, like Bob was on a number of occasions. I bet you have more concern and care for the club than you do criticism. Thanks for your input.

WAYLON H. (from undisclosed) Happy Easter, I hope you enjoy this special day. Thanks for your many years of loyal service. GO COLTS.

A: Very nice message, and I hope you had a Happy Easter, too. It’s been a fun ride for a number of years. It has been enjoyable to work here and publicize such an organization. I hope to keep it going and inform/entertain people like you. Thank you for your support, and let’s have a great season.

I.H. G. (from Acapulco, Mexico) How would the depth chart look as of today?

A: We don’t have one at this point and won’t likely until the week of the first preseason game. Even then and during the season a depth chart is written in pencil, not ink. If we were to have one now, it would not represent too much.

LEVI F. (from Grand Ridge, FL) I just got to say I'm a die-hard Colts fan and have been since I was I was 13. I'm 17 now, so you know how hard it is to talk bad about your team. I (have) to say our offensive line did a terrible job protecting Andrew Luck. Come on, (41) sacks. We've got to do something about that. I will say they did OK in the run game, but we can't be letting our star QB be getting hit that many times. I know he's young and he's tough and he did do a great job about not letting all those hits get to his head. Is there any chance we’ll take an O-lineman in round one of the draft? I'm a big fan of Andrew Luck, and I hope he helps take us farther than he did last season.

A: Levi, glad you’re growing up a Colts fan. We want to protect Andrew a bit better this year. As we’ve said before, protection comes from all positions in an offense. Problems aren’t always due to a lineman. We know Andrew was sacked 41 times last year and hit on a number of additional occasions. I think you will see those numbers come down this year, whether we take a lineman in the first round or not. A number of players have matured and with a bit of a different approach by the design of the attack we should correct a few areas. We very well may take a lineman in the first round, but protection is a group effort. We’ll get it figured out. With all the quarterback movement in the league during the last week, how that affects the first round in relation to linemen being selected will be interesting.

JORGE R. (from Mexico) Hi, I have a (question). I have read that Jerrell Freeman made 200 tackles in 2012 but when I see the stats, there are just 145. Where are the other 55 tackles?

A: The club publishes totals compiled by its coaches after film review, not the ones that are calculated in the press box. You likely are referring to the totals reached by the statistics crews that cover each game. I know there can be discrepancies in this particular statistic when compared to others. It is not uncommon, and that would account for the different total.

PHIL D. (from Los Angeles, CA) I love the new additions to the team. (LaRon) Landry and (Darrius) Heyward-Bey are perfect pick-ups. (It’s) time to take back our division. Ryan Grigson is doing a wonderful job seeing the whole picture. Bill Polian was all offense. All he wanted was toys for Peyton. Ryan is all about a whole complete team. Now let's draft some young bucks for the defense and we will be good! Colts Nation All Day EveryDay!!!

A: I love the passion. We should put you on retainer. I agree with you completely on LaRon and Darrius, and they both could make a true impact. Ryan is a personnel whiz, and his talents match his passion for it. The team has been constructed differently in his short time here, and I think the fans have taken to it very well. Bill did a tremendous job, too. When we hired him in 1998, a colleague in Buffalo told me, “You’re going to get good and stay good.” He was right, and we should remember that. With a new regime, we have put some building blocks in place. We have an attitude to compete, and we have a good coaching staff. The vital signs are good, but only commitment to working will determine how well we compete. Getting the division title back would be a tremendous step in the right direction. It’s always been the number one goal for the playoff guarantee it brings. Stay fired up. April will be fun.

NICO R. (from Indianapolis) My question is regarding the ability of OG Ben Ijalana. If I am not mistaken, he was the Colts’ second-round pick (49th overall) in the 2011 draft. He was put on IR in early August last season and only played in four games in 2011. Is he healthy and ready to complete for an OL spot this coming season and what are your thoughts about his abilities and his chances of improving the Colts offensive line?

A: You are correct on Ben. He has suffered two ACL injuries to his left knee early in his career. The first came at Tampa Bay in 2011 in his fourth game, and it happened when he had a true chance for significant playing time. It was very unfortunate. Last year in training camp, it happened again on the very first drill in non-contact work. He said it was the same step he had taken “1,000 times and hundreds of times after the first ACL injury.” Ben still is rehabbing. Spring work may not be possible. He’ll probably be limited to conditioning work, sprints and agility drills. Training camp is a more realistic target. I hope Ben can make a push. Everyone here wants to see it. He is a great guy who has had two tough injuries in a difficult sport. Injury-prone? I wouldn’t say that. He wants to make an impact, and he has a GM in Ryan Grigson who would like to see that, too.

JIM K. (from Chicago, IL) We are having a Vietnam reunion in Indy the second week of the season. If the Colts are home what is the best way I can get 8 to 10 tickets for my vet friends and me? We will be staying at the reunion hotel Marriott near the stadium. There are 1000 vets going to the reunion, so I am trying to get tickets as soon as I can. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

A: Jim, I hope there is something we can do, but it is too early for us to help with your request. It may be that we aren’t home that weekend. Also, if after selling season tickets and group tickets we have any single-game tickets to sell, they will be made available later this summer. It probably would be around July. We are fortunate that we have a long string of sellouts, and response from our regular buyers is very strong. There may be a chance, but only after our season and group efforts have ended. You might want to re-visit our website around that time for any announcements. I hope you understand. All of us with the club thank you and your friends for wonderful service to our country. We hope the reunion goes well and that you enjoy our city.
DISCLAIMER: The below images were forced upon me against my will by the moderator and are NOT of my choosing.

Facedown

Post by Facedown »

poizond13 wrote:COLTS DOUCHEBAG
:lol: :lol: :lol:
eddie lee roth

Post by eddie lee roth »

lil pp is mad about his thread that is now known as THE OFFCIAL REDSKINS APPRECIATION THREAD, so he's going to spam the fuck out of this thread with his dumbass thoughts about the game.
poizond13
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by poizond13 »

eddie lee roth wrote:lil pp is mad about his thread that is now known as THE OFFCIAL REDSKINS APPRECIATION THREAD, so he's going to spam the fuck out of this thread with his dumbass thoughts about the game.
I was happy to keep all Colts discussion in one thread. That evidently was not what you trolls wanted. Oh well, I could care less.
DISCLAIMER: The below images were forced upon me against my will by the moderator and are NOT of my choosing.

Luminiferous
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Luminiferous »

poizond13 wrote:I was happy to keep all Colts discussion in one thread.
Then why didn't you use one of the other two threads you started with the same title and just change the year then Greg?
poizond13
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by poizond13 »

2013 POSITIONAL SERIES: DEFENSIVE BACKS

Posted Apr 2, 2013

By Craig Kelley

INDIANAPOLIS – The cornerback positions for the Colts were definitely areas of activity and concern in 2012.

Jerraud Powers was coming off a third straight year with injuries and the left side opposite him was manned by three different starters in 2011, none of whom made it past training camp.

After the draft, Ryan Grigson tried stocking the position with a series of seven acquisitions via free agency, trades and waiver claims.

It was a trade Grigson made on August 26 that yielded the answer – Vontae Davis.

Grigson landed Davis, 24, a 36-game starter who played in 44 games for Miami after being a first-round pick in 2009.

Getting acclimated on and off the field was a challenge made tougher at the outset of the season, and Davis started the opener on the left side just days later.

Battling ankle and knee injuries, Davis ultimately split 10 starts on both corners, settling in on the right side when Powers had a season-ending toe injury.

A talented, youthful player, Davis felt his game solidified as the season unfolded.

“I thought it came on pretty well. I started feeling more comfortable around the guys,” said Davis. “Mainly, everything started feeling more like home. To get traded and go to a different atmosphere was kind of different for me. It was the first (time it had happened to me), and I had to get comfortable. I was able to get more used to the settings as the season went on.”

Getting Davis for a second-round choice was a stroke by Grigson that Chuck Pagano trumpets.

“There is no way, not this in draft coming up or any prior drafts, where you will able to get somebody of Vontae’s talent in the second round,” said Pagano. “To get a corner who has his play-making ability, his size, the way he’ll support the run, play the pass and play the ball down the field, the way he competes, you just can’t do it. You have to draft him in the first round. That’s why Miami took him in the first round.

“For us to get Vontae for what we got him for, it’s a steal. He’s 24 years young. He’s just a baby. It’s all in front of Vontae. He’s going to get better and better. He’s a great talent. He’s a pure cover corner. For what we ask our corners to do, Vontae’s the guy you want.”

A December 9 game with Tennessee showed in particular what excites Pagano.

Davis sacked Jake Locker at the Colts’ 10-yard line late in the first half to force a field goal that kept the Colts within 20-7 while playing poorly. Davis leveled Chris Johnson for a five-yard loss at the club’s 10-yard line again early in the fourth quarter, then defensed a pass two plays later to force another field goal that kept Indianapolis within 23-21. The second stop set up a 53-yard Adam Vinatieri field goal for the club’s sixth comeback victory.

“As long as the team was doing well and was winning games, I felt the good plays were going to happen,” said Davis. “I feel I have the ability to make the big plays, but our main focus is the team and how we can reach the goals we want to reach. When the team is doing well and we’re doing what Coach Pagano wants, my play will be fine. It’s a process.”

Davis began thriving in an area where communication is essential. He did so by listening to voices around him.

“The coaches took care of me. Coach Pagano always kept in touch with me (while he was away) and treated me really well,” said Davis. “The coaches, you can see they want the best for you. They want you to succeed to the best of your ability.

“I feel like the sky is the limit. Being around Coach Pagano, he’s been in the league a long time. I’m looking forward to working with him even more. I can work in the off-season and in training camp, and I’m looking forward to picking his brain. I’m only going to get better as time goes.”

Davis speaks more with actions than by words, much like Antoine Bethea, whom Davis views as the leader.

“I’ll leave leadership to Antoine Bethea. He’s the leader in the secondary,” said Davis. “We all look up to him, and he keeps everyone together in the secondary. I’ll just try, like him, to lead by example.

“I expect to be a role model for the younger guys. I want to pick up where I left off last year as far as working hard in practice and buying into the system, then going out on the field and letting my play speak for itself.”

Davis feels he is entering his prime and that 2013 will provide a greater chance to flourish in his new home.

“I think I will really benefit from last season, and I look forward to starting here now with a full season to prepare,” said Davis. “Right now, I’m taking care of my body, getting healthy and getting in the best shape I’ve been. I’m looking forward to the year.

“We need to stay humble as a young team. We need to work hard in practice and listen to the coaches. Like I said, they want the best for you, and I look forward to preparing for the season.

I felt I fit in well. It was a good change. I love Indy.”

Bethea was the only 16-game starter in the secondary last season. It was his fifth such season, and Bethea, who surpassed 800 career tackles, has missed but five games in his career.

Darius Butler and Cassius Vaughn started four and 11 times, respectively, and teamed to have three of the club’s four scoring interception returns. Vaughn’s against Tennessee helped bring the club back from a 13-point second-half deficit. Butler’s scoring return helped subdue Jacksonville, a road game where he had three individual takeaways. His other scoring return at Kansas City provided the club with an early margin in a late comeback victory.

Joe Lefeged started the final four games for Zbikowski and developed into the club’s top special teams performer. Josh Gordy arrived via a trade in camp as did Davis, and he started one of 15 appearances. He, Davis and Vaughn arrived via that route last year.

Sergio Brown was a 16-game performer primarily on special teams. Brown ranked second to Lefeged (16) with 10 tackles. Delano Howell had five appearances with Indianapolis after starting the season with Buffalo. Marshay Green played in one outing at mid-season, and he will be joined by Teddy Williams and Larry Asante this year with a chance to make the club.

Greg Toler, 6-0, 192, joined the Colts as an unrestricted free agent from Arizona, where he opened 15-of-38 games after being a fourth-round pick in 2009 (131st overall). He has tallied 128 career tackles, 118 solo, 19 passes defensed, five interceptions, including two returned for touchdowns, and 1.0 sack. Last year, Toler started two-of-11 outings and had 27 tackles, 26 solo, eight passes defensed and two interceptions, including a career-long 102-yard return for a touchdown.

LaRon Landry, 6-0, 220, joined the Colts as an unrestricted free agent from the New York Jets.

Landry has started 79-of-80 career games with Washington (2007-11) and the Jets (2012) and holds career totals of 534 tackles, 395 solo, 39 passes defensed, six interceptions, 10 forced fumbles, 5.5 sacks and five fumble recoveries. He was a Pro Bowl selection in 2012 with 113 tackles, four forced fumbles and two interceptions. He was the sixth overall pick in the 2007 draft and was an NFL All-Rookie performer.

poizond13
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by poizond13 »

2013 POSITIONAL SERIES: SPECIALISTS

Posted 13 hours ago

By Craig Kelley

Matt Overton unseated one of the longest-tenured Colts, Justin Snow, in winning the long-snapping job in 2012. Overton performed well all season and hopes to have a career much like his predecessor.

INDIANAPOLIS – In most jobs, being unnoticed is a negative.

In Matt Overton’s world, it is everything. Overton made the Colts’ roster last year by supplanting Justin Snow, the club’s long-snapper since 2000.

Overton was given a tryout after assistant special teams coach Brant Boyer noticed him in a free agent kicking camp. Overton was signed and would compete head-to-head with one of the most durable Colts players ever.

Snow missed no games and only one or two snaps during his 12-year stay and replacing someone so tenured and successful was Overton’s charge.

“I really praise Justin Snow for the help he gave me. He really mentored me through the process,” said Overton. “I looked up to him and appreciate what he did for me. I had the mindset that Justin was there for a long time and did a great job on and off the field, and my priority was to fill in the shoes that he left.”

Overton was no neophyte. The Western Washington product had 2007 and 2010 free agent tryouts with Seattle. Those were sandwiched around stints in the af2 (2008) and UFL (2009), and Overton played in the UFL in 2010.

Chasing his dream finally led to Indianapolis. Overton seized the chance.

“I think I did pretty well for my first year,” said Overton. “It definitely helped having Adam (Vinatieri) and Pat (McAfee) as mentors. The coaches were helpful. Every week was challenge. Training camp was a huge challenge.

“It was an emotional ride through my first year. Having the success we had as a team was awesome. I wanted to be consistent and help Adam and Pat be the best they could be. I wanted to help the team win and be an anchor on the special teams unit. I had personal goals and reached a couple of those. Other ones I fell short of, and that’s why I’m looking forward to getting back this year and working with the coaches. I want to build on last year.”

Being unnoticed meant that punts and field goals went off without a hitch. Those were targets that Overton reached. There was another he set that he did not get.

“I wanted to have all perfect snaps. That’s the main thing,” said Overton. “I also wanted to lead the NFL in tackles for long-snappers. I came in second, but I was really happy to lead AFC long-snappers in tackles. I wanted to contribute. Obviously, the snap was more important than blocking, but I wanted to get downfield and make plays. I was able to stay healthy, too. Making the playoffs was a goal, but I wanted us to be AFC South champs, AFC champs and world champs.”

Overton knows coaches critique everything. That is fine with him. He prides himself on being very critical, and he knows there are fundamental aspects on which to improve.

“I’m (tough) critiquing things, and the coaches critique everything. There are some fundamental aspects that I want to improve on.”

“It (protection) was probably my biggest challenge,” said Overton. “A lot of the schemes changed every week. It’s one of those things where the technique I’ve been coached, it works almost every time. As long as I continue to trust in it and not over-think it, it will work and help to my advantage.

“It helped having great guys on the line with me. I think the more success I have and comfortable I get, I’ll improve. That’s something that’s a focus on this year.”

Chuck Pagano cut some of his coaching teeth on special teams, and Overton did not raise an eyebrow for Pagano.

“You never noticed he was there. Matt did a great job,” said Pagano. “He came in and competed with Justin Snow, who had a great career here. Matt jumped in, and we didn’t miss a beat. We had one blocked punt last year, but it wasn’t because of the snap. He was spot-on and did a great job.

“Matt will get stronger and bigger. He does have some things to work on from a protection standpoint. He’ll be the first to tell you. From an accuracy standpoint, he was excellent. It could have been really intimidating, but Matt never flinched. He just came to work every day.”

Overton felt he adapted to the NFL quickly.

“Once we got to preseason, I was more acclimated to the speed of the game and understanding the concepts the coaches were teaching,” said Overton. “Practice and games are so different. Once I was comfortable in a game setting, I was confident in my abilities.

“When the season arrived, I got close to Adam and Pat and the coaching staff, and I got more comfortable with them during the year. I appreciated the help they gave along the way.”

Overton was more than a footnote in the club’s 11 victories. It was a solid start for an NFL career. Two moments stood out in particular.

“The game-winner over Minnesota was my first NFL win. It was Adam’s longest game-winning field goal. That was special,” said Overton. “In preseason when we were at Heinz Field against Pittsburgh, we had a field goal to end the first half. It was one of the longest kicked to that end of the field in history. It was preseason and didn’t count (in the records), but that was cool, too.

“It took a long time to get to the NFL. I always dreamed of having moments like that. To share that with Adam is pretty awesome.”

Vinatieri hit 26-of-33 field goals and all 37 PATs for 115 points, his 15th career 100-point season. The total moved him ahead of Morten Andersen and Gary Anderson and behind Jason Elam (16) for the most in history. Vinatieri hit a 53-yard game-winner against Minnesota, the longest of his 24 such career efforts. He was 13-of-17 from outside 40 yards and hit four kicks from 50-plus yards. Vinatieri (413-of-500) became the eighth NFL player with 400 field goals, and his attempts rank 10th in history. With 709 points with the Colts, Vinatieri joined Andersen and John Carney as the only players with 700-plus points with two teams.

McAfee (73-48.2, 40.3 net) set the club seasonal marks for gross and net average. McAfee has set the gross mark in each of the last two seasons (46.6, 2011). In setting the mark last year, he snapped the previous seasonal record of Rohn Stark (45.9, 1985). McAfee’s net average bested Stark’s previous record, and his 2011 had ranked second (39.3, Stark, 1992; 39.2, McAfee, 2011). McAfee had 26 punts inside the 20, tying Hunter Smith’s seasonal record (26, 2002).

TheImpaler9
Learning KISS Riffs

Post by TheImpaler9 »

If you would have asked me 5 years ago that I would lose all interest in the NFL, I would have said you were nuts. All the new rules, the Thursday games every week & games in London have just killed my love for the game. Next fall will be the first time in 35 years that I will not be spending every Sunday watching football all day.
Crazy Levi

Post by Crazy Levi »

TheImpaler9 wrote:If you would have asked me 5 years ago that I would lose all interest in the NFL, I would have said you were nuts. All the new rules, the Thursday games every week & games in London have just killed my love for the game. Next fall will be the first time in 35 years that I will not be spending every Sunday watching football all day.
I can't for the life of me figure out why anybody is upset about Thursday night football.

Three days of NFL football a week is good. Four would be better.
poizond13
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by poizond13 »

Crazy Levi wrote:
TheImpaler9 wrote:If you would have asked me 5 years ago that I would lose all interest in the NFL, I would have said you were nuts. All the new rules, the Thursday games every week & games in London have just killed my love for the game. Next fall will be the first time in 35 years that I will not be spending every Sunday watching football all day.
I can't for the life of me figure out why anybody is upset about Thursday night football.

Three days of NFL football a week is good. Four would be better.

demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

Crazy Levi wrote:
Indeed. And what's the real drama with the London thing, unless your team loses a home game?

The rules thing I get, but the others are just excuses to moan.
Moggio wrote:You see, the problem with you is that you act like I have no credibility or something.
PhoenixFlames wrote:AVATAR made 2.7 billion which (maths) is close to 3 x million millions!!!!!!
Turner Coates
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Turner Coates »

poizond13 wrote:
I was happy to keep all Colts discussion in one thread. That evidently was not what you trolls wanted. Oh well, I could care less.
You COULD?
So, does that mean right now you care MORE?

"I'm just here for the irony and the dancing."
Facedown

Post by Facedown »

poizond13 wrote:Image
The "poizond13" nym:
PROPERTY OF

Oh, and this:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=256787

Conclusion:
p13 sure does love being "Owned".

:lol:
bigpaparob74
Winning Local Battle of the Bands

Re: The Offical P13's Dignity and Integrity Memorial NFL Thr

Post by bigpaparob74 »

Is Greggles the author of the Colts mailbag? It sounds like the person writing it doesnt have any inside connections, but constantly refers to the team as "we" & "us."
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

It's coming. More are going to start feeling like this.
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Re: The Offical P13's Dignity and Integrity Memorial NFL Thr

Post by Machado »

Over the weekend the NFL Network replayed the 1996
NFC Championship Game.
GB at Dallas. Summerall & Madden were the broadcasters

Dallas won 38-27.

Anyway, fun to see these old games.
Going into this match-up, Favre was 0-5 vs Dallas.
To this day Favre must dislike Dallas more than any other team.

At the end of his career Favre was 2-9 vs Dallas, including
0-3 in Playoffs