The official NHL thread

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

FullDJacket
MSX Tour Support Act

Re: The official NHL thread

Post by FullDJacket »

NeverSurrender wrote:I'm sure he's just bummed about not coaching those overrated prima donnas any longer.
I have not followed the Rangers this year but I watched that Winter classic series last year. To be an athlete in NY seems like a double edged sword. There is a huge pressure and only the strong minded survive but on the other hand everyone who gets a little success is fucking star all of a sudden. Sean Avery and Lundqvist for example.
NeverSurrender wrote:NHL refs are having a rough playoffs.

They are the most incompetent officials as a group I've seen in 35 years fof watching sports.
I think it's worse in the NBA playoffs actually. I hate the way hockey refs always try to compensate and make the penalties even.
Luke 16:10 "and he that is unjust in the least, is unjust also in much"
NeverSurrender
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by NeverSurrender »

The NBA refs made me stop watching NBA many years ago. The NHL is heading that way. Of course betmman came from the nba so no shocker his refs are acting very much like nba refs.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

They are the most incompetent officials as a group I've seen in 35 years fof watching sports.
I can only imagine what would have ensued had Detroit won the game in OT. Stephen Walkom is a decent enough referee, but that call was just sooooo BAD. It's freakin' coincidental roughing minors, not a fist fight. A.) You don't call that with 2 minutes to play in a game 7; B.) it's not like the call is going against one player; you can let the play develop, then call it if you need to.
Anne_Thrax
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by Anne_Thrax »

If Detroit had won, the city would be up in flames right now. Was that the same ref that took Shaw's goal away in game 3 (i think it was)?
johnk5150

Post by johnk5150 »

Anne_Thrax wrote:If Detroit had won, the city would be up in flames right now. Was that the same ref that took Shaw's goal away in game 3 (i think it was)?
He will not be officiating the conference finals.
He's like the Liberace of bass & pot.

$tevil
wickedsensation
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by wickedsensation »

As a former Chicagoan (born and raised), I'm excited for the Blackhawks. But I also have to thank the refs, especially for their help in game 6... :wink:
uptheass wrote:the best ownings are yet to come
Itwalksamongus wrote:We were young and dumb and full of cum so we would take turns in the back of the van jacking each other off. It wasn't gay - it was out of necessity. Things were a lot different back then.
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

WOLF wrote:

I can only imagine what would have ensued had Detroit won the game in OT. Stephen Walkom is a decent enough referee, but that call was just sooooo BAD. It's freakin' coincidental roughing minors, not a fist fight. A.) You don't call that with 2 minutes to play in a game 7; B.) it's not like the call is going against one player; you can let the play develop, then call it if you need to.
Yep, and I've seen way too much of that this postseason. And the NHL just sticks up for them. It's ridiculous.
feds
Signed One Album Deal on Indy Label

Post by feds »

Wanna fix it? Call everything. They will quickly learn to play honest. Why does the rulebook go out the window in the playoffs anyways.
While i'm at it.....get rid of the enforcer rule. Bring back the enforcers to keep the rats in check. Also ditch the hard armour the players wear. Go back to the old school pads and I bet you see more inregrity come back to the game, not to mention less injuries........on a lighter note, anyone see those 2 ridiculous chicks after the Chicago game? Grown women doing duck face and peace signs while taking pic's of themselves....WTF is the world coming to?
It's a long way to the top, if you wanna rock'n'roll!
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

feds wrote:Wanna fix it? Call everything. They will quickly learn to play honest. Why does the rulebook go out the window in the playoffs anyways?
They tried calling everything after the last lockout ended, there were like 20 penalties a game, with the slightest touch with a stick being called, even if the puck carrier didn't break stride. It was ridiculous. Nobody knew what a penalty was anymore.

As for the rulebook going out the window in the playoffs. The teams, coaches, players, and fans want it that way. Nobody wants to see a referee decide a game; they want the players to decide it. That's exactly why Walkom should have let the play continue the other night. He almost decided the outcome of the game, which he had no business doing.
Anne_Thrax

Post by Anne_Thrax »

johnk5150 wrote:
Anne_Thrax wrote:If Detroit had won, the city would be up in flames right now. Was that the same ref that took Shaw's goal away in game 3 (i think it was)?
He will not be officiating the conference finals.
Yes he is! Mother FUCK!

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck- ... 16123.html

Referee Stephen Walkom makes cut for conference finals after Game 7 controversy
By Greg Wyshynski | Puck Daddy – Thu, May 30, 2013 1:36 PM EDT

No matter where your loyalties are between the Chicago Blackhawks and the Detroit Red Wings, it’s undeniable that the end of their Game 7 was marred by officiating controversies.
On Brent Seabrook’s game-winning goal, Dave Bolland of the Blackhawks appeared to get away with a boarding penalty on Gustav Nyquist, who gave up the puck for the eventual overtime tally.
But the only reason there was an overtime was thanks to referee Stephen Walkom, who handed out matching minors to Kyle Quincey and Brandon Saad that negated a Niklas Hjalmarsson goal with less than two minutes remaining in regulation – a call that seemingly had no sense of timing, perspective or precision.
Lest you believe that baffling decision might keep Walkom from officiating another Game 7 in these playoffs, Mark Spector of Sportsnet reports that the referee is one of eight assigned to the conference finals.
According to Spector, Mark Joanette, Eric Furlatt, Wes McCauley, Dan O'Halloran, Dan O'Rourke, Chris Rooney, Stephen Walkom and Brad Watson will officiate the Boston Bruins vs. the Pittsburgh Penguins and the Chicago Blackhawks vs. the Los Angeles Kings.
That means Tom Kowal, Chris Lee, Brad Meier and Kevin Pollock failed to make the cut for the final two rounds.
The Walkom advancement (sounds like a Robert Ludlum novel) should come as no surprise given his ties to the NHL front office as its former director of officiating. He’s generally well-liked by the players, and obviously had a bit more experience than many of the officials kicking around the NHL these days.
But still … that’s a hell of a lasting image before the next round.
Spector defended the call:
In the video, we see Walkom assess an altercation, yet he does not raise his arm for a penalty on Quincey. When Saad fights back, Walkom takes the opportunity to level coincidental penalties, as we’ll assume he’d rather not give the Blackhawks a power play with 1:49 left in the third period of a tied Game 7.
It’s an altercation behind the play, late in a decisive game. A punch or two, and two players fall to the ice. It’s the type of call made time after time in this situation, and hockey culture generally looks favourably on a referee who does not “influence the game” with a late power play.
What a bizarre concept: Make the call, but don’t dare make the correct call when you can instead give both teams a penalty so no one gets the advantage, except the team that might be better 4-on-4.
One last thing on Walkom: He's making some Blackhawks fans slowly reach for the tinfoil hat. As Adam Hoge of CBS Sports writes:
Of course, since he’s an NHL official, he would have done that anyway. How do we know that? Well, Walkom happens to be the referee who chose not to call Raffi Torres for any kind of penalty when he assaulted Marian Hossa in the playoffs last year. Walkom was staring right at the hit and let it go, even as Hossa was taken to a local hospital and suffered from post-concussion symptoms for months.
The NHL responded by sending Walkom to Game 7 of the Bruins-Capitals series. That, despite the fact that the league ended up suspending Torres 25 games, essentially admitting that Walkom indeed blew the call.
Well, it really doesn't matter. We're sure he would have given Hossa a matching minor for delay of game anyway ...
ArielPlath
Headlining Clubs

Post by ArielPlath »

Planning on pizza & hockey tomorrow night (but no beer) while I pack for my trip I'll be cheering for the Blackhawks!!! :D The husband is torn - The Kings are one of his favorite teams, but being a Chicago area native he has to support the Hawks.
“Out of the ash
I rise with my red hair
and I eat men like air.”

― Sylvia Plath, Ariel
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

For the record:

Pens in 6
Kings in 7

But I'm cheering for the Pens and Hawks.
ArielPlath
Headlining Clubs

Post by ArielPlath »

Woohoo!!! Blackhawks! That was a close one - I kept thinking the Kings were going to score another one and tie it up.

I'd like to see the Blackhawks play the Penguins in the Stanley Cup - that would be some good games!
“Out of the ash
I rise with my red hair
and I eat men like air.”

― Sylvia Plath, Ariel
John Simon Ritchie

Post by John Simon Ritchie »

God, I hope someone rips Crosby's fucking head off in this series.
"I was looking for that great jazz note that destroyed the walls of Jericho." - The Clash, The Sound Of Sinners
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

ArielPlath wrote:Woohoo!!! Blackhawks! That was a close one - I kept thinking the Kings were going to score another one and tie it up.

I'd like to see the Blackhawks play the Penguins in the Stanley Cup - that would be some good games!
Nah Blackhawks vs Boston. Original 6 and all that.

Nice one Chicago. 8)

Penguins are being schooled atm.
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
Lardbucket

Post by Lardbucket »

John Simon Ritchie wrote:God, I hope someone rips Crosby's fucking head off in this series.
They'll have to reach around the referee to do it.
A proud Steve Jones nutswinger since 1977.
johnk5150

Post by johnk5150 »

ArielPlath wrote:Woohoo!!! Blackhawks! That was a close one - I kept thinking the Kings were going to score another one and tie it up.
Statistically it actually wasn't even close. The Blackhawks killed the Kings even if the score indicated they didn't. That penalty at the end killed the kings because they couldn't pull Quick.

I'd like to add that I don't watch a ton of LA hockey, but fuck me does Quick have the ability to see through people? How does he know where the puck is going when being screened like that? He's crazy good at his job.

$tevil
Anne_Thrax

Post by Anne_Thrax »

johnk5150 wrote:
Statistically it actually wasn't even close. The Blackhawks killed the Kings even if the score indicated they didn't. That penalty at the end killed the kings because they couldn't pull Quick.

I'd like to add that I don't watch a ton of LA hockey, but fuck me does Quick have the ability to see through people? How does he know where the puck is going when being screened like that? He's crazy good at his job.
No, that was not close. LA played like shit, or idk, maybe they always play like that. That goal they scored was a freak accident.

God the NHL is so far up the Penguins' ass. Notice the announcers talked about them the entire time OUR game was going on
johnk5150

Post by johnk5150 »

I rewound it three times to make sure I could believe what I saw.

David Haugh's In the Wake of the News
9:59 p.m. CDT, June 1, 2013

If you got a kick out of Blackhawks forward Marian Hossa's wink at the NBC-TV camera during the national anthem Saturday before Game 1 of the Western Conference finals against the Kings, imagine how Hossa's buddies in a bar somewhere in Slovakia felt.

They were the guys who contacted Hossa before the Hawks' efficient 2-1 victory at the United Center hoping he would show his native country a little love if given the opportunity. When it arose pregame during Jim Cornelison's anthem, Hossa did something delightfully out of character for the quiet, consummate professional that reflected how relaxed the Hawks were as a team.

He winked into the lens like a showman he isn't. Blackhawks fans all over the world, apparently, nodded.

"A bunch of my friends at home called and said they were going to watch so give them a signal,'' Hossa said with a sheepish grin. "So I gave them one.''

$tevil
Kings1967
Playing in a Garage

Post by Kings1967 »

Last edited by Kings1967 on Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kings1967
Playing in a Garage

Post by Kings1967 »

Regarding Quick:
He's crazy good at his job.
He's a huge piece to the success of the current Kings team. They've never had a goalie quite like him. He's plays very well during regular season, then cranks it up for the playoffs and practically stands on his head at times to keep the team in the game when the offense isn't producing.
Funnelhead

Post by Funnelhead »

Lardbucket wrote:
John Simon Ritchie wrote:God, I hope someone rips Crosby's fucking head off in this series.
They'll have to reach around the referee to do it.
No shit. A whiner deluxe last night, getting all in Chara's face from behind the ref, I really hope he gets popped and good. Tuukka's comment after the game to the question of what did Crosby say to ya? "He told me I played well."
Kings1967
Playing in a Garage

Post by Kings1967 »

Kings1967 wrote:Regarding Quick:
He's crazy good at his job.
He's a huge piece to the success of the current Kings team. They've never had a goalie quite like him. He's plays very well during regular season, then cranks it up for the playoffs and practically stands on his head at times to keep the team in the game when the offense isn't producing.
No head standing tonight.
johnk5150

Post by johnk5150 »

That wasn't Quick's fault. The Kings played like dung.

$tevil
EatTheGlass
Headlining Clubs

Post by EatTheGlass »

johnk5150 wrote:That wasn't Quick's fault. The Kings played like dung.
Quite honestly, and I'm a Kings fan.....compared to last years run, the Kings have played like dogshit since game 1 in the first round. They've had one solid game where they've outplayed the opponent, and that was game 5 vs San Jose. The sole reason why they're in the WC finals is because of Quick.

Not to mention, they can't seem to win on the road....they do all their winning at home. So all you Hawks fans who think this will be a cakewalk, I'd be shocked if you don't see a totally different team in games 3 and 4.
Kings1967
Playing in a Garage

Post by Kings1967 »

So all you Hawks fans who think this will be a cakewalk, I'd be shocked if you don't see a totally different team in games 3 and 4.
I'd like to think the same as well, except the Hawks only lost 7 games total, 4 of which were on the road. If the Kings don't pick up both games at home it may be over sooner than we'd prefer.
Anne_Thrax

Post by Anne_Thrax »

johnk5150 wrote:That wasn't Quick's fault. The Kings played like dung.
Except for Seabrook's goal. I'm pretty sure that was his fault.
johnk5150

Post by johnk5150 »

Did Steve Conroyd really say the Blackhawks have done a "complete 360" since game four of the Red Wings series last night on post game? Could he have meant
"180"?

$tevil
chungasrevenge
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by chungasrevenge »

Anne_Thrax

Post by Anne_Thrax »

This Boston game is hilarious!