The official NHL thread

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

John Simon Ritchie
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Re: The official NHL thread

Post by John Simon Ritchie »

AliceManson wrote:
Anne_Thrax wrote:My office is closed on Friday for the parade! I still can't believe this. I think the universe is throwing me a bone or something for being a Thrasher's season ticket holder all those years.
Hopefully, your ankle gets better. That has to hurt as hard as you jumped on that bandwagon.
:lol:
"I was looking for that great jazz note that destroyed the walls of Jericho." - The Clash, The Sound Of Sinners
Anne_Thrax
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by Anne_Thrax »

AliceManson wrote:
Anne_Thrax wrote:My office is closed on Friday for the parade! I still can't believe this. I think the universe is throwing me a bone or something for being a Thrasher's season ticket holder all those years.
Hopefully, your ankle gets better. That has to hurt as hard as you jumped on that bandwagon.
Because i moved up here last June?
Royal Dudeness
Headlining Clubs

Post by Royal Dudeness »

I'm %99.999 that I'll never celebrate in a cup winning parade since my Canucks are out to shit on my face every year.

Good for Chicago. This was a great finals and if this doesn't make hockey more popular in the states, NOTHING will.
Mazerati
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by Mazerati »

Gibsonite wrote:Leafs acquire goaltender Jonathan Bernier from the Kings.Hopefully the next move will be to shore up the D

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Tr ... 21826.html

TORONTO - The most highly-contested battle for the Maple Leafs in training camp will take place in the Toronto goal crease.

Jonathan Bernier versus James Reimer. Let the competition begin.

In Reimer’s case, he says bring it on.

“It’s definitely a challenge,” Reimer told the Toronto Sun in a phone interview early Sunday afternoon. “It makes you a better person and better goalie.”

Ever since Dave Nonis replaced the bombastic Brian Burke as general manager in January, he has had various flirtations with other goaltenders in order to add depth to the position. He kicked tires on both Vancouver’s Roberto Luongo and Calgary’s Miikka Kiprusoff, but both attempts failed to come to fruition.

On Sunday, Nonis finally bolstered his team’s fortunes between the pipes by acquiring Bernier from the Los Angeles Kings for forward Matt Frattin, backup goaltender Ben Scrivens and Toronto’s second round pick in either the 2014 or 2015 NHL Entry Draft.

Reimer learned of the deal from a text sent to him by his buddy Scrivens.

Bernier, 24, is a restricted free agent who earned more than $1.2 million his past season. You have to figure Nonis felt he could ink Bernier to a reasonable deal when he first pulled the trigger on the trade.

Serving as the backup to 2012 Conn Smythe Trophy winner Jonathan Quick, Bernier’s record in 2013 was 9-3-1 with a goals-against average of 1.88 and a save percentage of .922.

Bernier was the 11th overall pick in the 2006 entry draft. He won a gold medal as part of Canada’s world junior team two years later.

Bernier was aware of the trade chatter that had been making the rounds recently.

“It’s actually exciting,” Bernier told espn.com this past week. “But I really can’t control anything. It’s up to (Kings GM) Dean (Lombardi). If there’s the right trade for him, I’m sure he’ll make the right call.”

Lombardi did just that.

When you compare the head-to-head numbers, Reimer has played more NHL games (104-62); has better save percentage (.915-.912): and more shutouts (10-6) than Bernier.

Whichever goalie you fancy, this much is certain: The Toronto Maple Leafs are stronger today at the NHL’s most vital position than they were at the conclusion of the 2013 season.
as an LA Kings fan i think this is a great move by Toronto..there were times during the season when Quick wasn't himself and i actually prefered Bernier
johnk5150

Post by johnk5150 »

Meet me at Grant Park,
He's like the Liberace of bass & pot.

$tevil
Anne_Thrax

Post by Anne_Thrax »

johnk5150 wrote:
Meet me at Grant Park,
Let me guess, you will be the one in the jersey? :)
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Anne_Thrax wrote:
AliceManson wrote:
I think its perfectly acceptable you supporting the Hawks. I mean your old time fucked off to Winnipeg and you moved to Chicago!
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
chungasrevenge

Post by chungasrevenge »

Facedown wrote:Tuukka has already said that the starting point for his next contract is
6yrs/39mil.
Something along those lines should be announced soon. They will more than likely extend Bergeron this offseason to an 8 year deal. That should run in the $50-$60 million range. Unless he takes a discount, which wouldn't surprise me. Ference is gone and you'd have to figure that Horton is going to find a better deal elsewhere.
johnk5150

Post by johnk5150 »

Anne_Thrax wrote:
johnk5150 wrote:
Meet me at Grant Park,
Let me guess, you will be the one in the jersey? :)
I'm 43. Not that guy anymore. I'm sure Brendan will have his Bulls gear on but look for us.

$tevil
johnk5150

Post by johnk5150 »

pieceofme wrote:
Anne_Thrax wrote:
AliceManson wrote: Hopefully, your ankle gets better. That has to hurt as hard as you jumped on that bandwagon.
I think its perfectly acceptable you supporting the Hawks. I mean your old time fucked off to Winnipeg and you moved to Chicago!
This town is better when there's something to root for in the winter. Plenty of room for you on the bandwagon. When the Hawks were bad they were being outdrawn by the Wolves for Gods sake.

$tevil
Anne_Thrax

Post by Anne_Thrax »

So here is what Wrigleyville looked like after the game on Monday:

I couldn't help but think about Atlanta. If we had won a Stanley cup, there would be like 1 guy out on 14th street cheering
LouDoo
Platinum Artist

Post by LouDoo »

Bergeron has a punctured lung! Talk about balls of steel!

http://espn.go.com/boston/nhl/story/_/i ... tured-lung
HeavyMetalZombie666 wrote:The sounds of that album gives me the brutal shits.
ImageImage
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

This should be one of the better years to watch the NHL Draft, which will take place during one day (Sunday), as opposed to being split over two like they've done recently.

With the cap coming down, teams having to shed salary, and the recent flurry of compliance buyouts, look for a fair number of signings and trades. Then, on July 5, look for a ton of UFA signings, as agents and teams can negotiate as of July 1, with signings not allowed until the 5th.

Chiarelli had his presser in Beantown today. He said:

- Ference, Jagr, and Pandolfo won't be back
- Signing Rask and Horton are priorities
- Bergeron is in hospital with a punctured lung

This is going to be a lively offseason!
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

WOLF wrote:This should be one of the better years to watch the NHL Draft, which will take place during one day (Sunday), as opposed to being split over two like they've done recently.

With the cap coming down, teams having to shed salary, and the recent flurry of compliance buyouts, look for a fair number of signings and trades. Then, on July 5, look for a ton of UFA signings, as agents and teams can negotiate as of July 1, with signings not allowed until the 5th.

Chiarelli had his presser in Beantown today. He said:

- Ference, Jagr, and Pandolfo won't be back
- Signing Rask and Horton are priorities
- Bergeron is in hospital with a punctured lung

This is going to be a lively offseason!
Cannot wait.

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
wickedsensation
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by wickedsensation »

According to bovada.com, Pens are 13-2 favorites to win the Cup in 2014. The Hawks are second at 15-2 and the Bruins are third at 10-1...
uptheass wrote:the best ownings are yet to come
Itwalksamongus wrote:We were young and dumb and full of cum so we would take turns in the back of the van jacking each other off. It wasn't gay - it was out of necessity. Things were a lot different back then.
EatTheGlass
Headlining Clubs

Post by EatTheGlass »

Facedown wrote:Tuukka has already said that the starting point for his next contract is
6yrs/39mil.
What a joke.
EatTheGlass
Headlining Clubs

Post by EatTheGlass »

Mazerati wrote:
Gibsonite wrote:Leafs acquire goaltender Jonathan Bernier from the Kings.Hopefully the next move will be to shore up the D

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Tr ... 21826.html

TORONTO - The most highly-contested battle for the Maple Leafs in training camp will take place in the Toronto goal crease.

Jonathan Bernier versus James Reimer. Let the competition begin.

In Reimer’s case, he says bring it on.

“It’s definitely a challenge,” Reimer told the Toronto Sun in a phone interview early Sunday afternoon. “It makes you a better person and better goalie.”

Ever since Dave Nonis replaced the bombastic Brian Burke as general manager in January, he has had various flirtations with other goaltenders in order to add depth to the position. He kicked tires on both Vancouver’s Roberto Luongo and Calgary’s Miikka Kiprusoff, but both attempts failed to come to fruition.

On Sunday, Nonis finally bolstered his team’s fortunes between the pipes by acquiring Bernier from the Los Angeles Kings for forward Matt Frattin, backup goaltender Ben Scrivens and Toronto’s second round pick in either the 2014 or 2015 NHL Entry Draft.

Reimer learned of the deal from a text sent to him by his buddy Scrivens.

Bernier, 24, is a restricted free agent who earned more than $1.2 million his past season. You have to figure Nonis felt he could ink Bernier to a reasonable deal when he first pulled the trigger on the trade.

Serving as the backup to 2012 Conn Smythe Trophy winner Jonathan Quick, Bernier’s record in 2013 was 9-3-1 with a goals-against average of 1.88 and a save percentage of .922.

Bernier was the 11th overall pick in the 2006 entry draft. He won a gold medal as part of Canada’s world junior team two years later.

Bernier was aware of the trade chatter that had been making the rounds recently.

“It’s actually exciting,” Bernier told espn.com this past week. “But I really can’t control anything. It’s up to (Kings GM) Dean (Lombardi). If there’s the right trade for him, I’m sure he’ll make the right call.”

Lombardi did just that.

When you compare the head-to-head numbers, Reimer has played more NHL games (104-62); has better save percentage (.915-.912): and more shutouts (10-6) than Bernier.

Whichever goalie you fancy, this much is certain: The Toronto Maple Leafs are stronger today at the NHL’s most vital position than they were at the conclusion of the 2013 season.
as an LA Kings fan i think this is a great move by Toronto..there were times during the season when Quick wasn't himself and i actually prefered Bernier
But who cares, when Quick has been the best playoff goaltender the last two years, it's a no-brainer.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

wickedsensation wrote:According to bovada.com, Pens are 13-2 favorites to win the Cup in 2014. The Hawks are second at 15-2 and the Bruins are third at 10-1...

The Pens favourites again! I think they need to sort out defense and goaltending first. Did these people watch the playoffs in the last two seasons?

I don't think the Hawks will repeat next year. Especially how long the playoffs went this season.

johnk5150

Post by johnk5150 »

Anne. Ill have my ROAD spring training NOMAR Cubs jersey on. Will be with whole family. If you see me say hi. We're doing Grant Park and avoiding parade route.

$tevil
Anne_Thrax

Post by Anne_Thrax »

johnk5150 wrote:Anne. Ill have my ROAD spring training NOMAR Cubs jersey on. Will be with whole family. If you see me say hi. We're doing Grant Park and avoiding parade route.
OK cool. Not sure where I am gonna go yet, maybe on Washington near Wacker. I have a bunch of friends at Redhat and their office is right there. I can't wait!
johnk5150

Post by johnk5150 »

Anne_Thrax wrote:
johnk5150 wrote:Anne. Ill have my ROAD spring training NOMAR Cubs jersey on. Will be with whole family. If you see me say hi. We're doing Grant Park and avoiding parade route.
OK cool. Not sure where I am gonna go yet, maybe on Washington near Wacker. I have a bunch of friends at Redhat and their office is right there. I can't wait!
We're only doing the park because the streets will be packed and ill have little ones. Hope to finally meet you.

$tevil
Anne_Thrax

Post by Anne_Thrax »

johnk5150 wrote:
Anne_Thrax wrote:
We're only doing the park because the streets will be packed and ill have little ones. Hope to finally meet you.
Your boys are adorable! Do they watch hockey with you?
Anne_Thrax

Post by Anne_Thrax »

Hossa might need back surgery
Royal Dudeness
Headlining Clubs

Post by Royal Dudeness »

Check out this awesome footage of the Blackhawks celebrating after their win. Patrick Kane is fucking hilarious

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... HQo#at=285
LouDoo
Platinum Artist

Post by LouDoo »

This is cool. The Blackhawks placed a full page ad in a Boston newspaper, thanking them for their hospitality during the finals.

http://www.boston.com/news/source/paper.jpg
HeavyMetalZombie666 wrote:The sounds of that album gives me the brutal shits.
ImageImage
chungasrevenge

Post by chungasrevenge »

LouDoo wrote:This is cool. The Blackhawks placed a full page ad in a Boston newspaper, thanking them for their hospitality during the finals.

Classy move.

2014 Odds. As of now, I'm thinking about Maple Leafs, Rangers and Islanders. Those odds look longer than they should be. Columbus seems like the obvious long shot.

Pittsburgh Penguins 13-2
Chicago Blackhawks 15-2
Boston Bruins 9-1
St. Louis Blues 12-1
Los Angeles Kings 14-1
Vancouver Canucks 14-1
Detroit Red Wings 16-1
New York Rangers 16-1
San Jose Sharks 16-1
Anaheim Ducks 20-1
Toronto Maple Leafs 25-1
Washington Capitals 25-1
Montreal Canadiens 28-1
Carolina Hurricanes 33-1
Edmonton Oilers 33-1
Minnesota Wild 33-1
New York Islanders 33-1
Ottawa Senators 33-1
Philadelphia Flyers 33-1
Colorado Avalanche 40-1
Columbus Blue Jackets 40-1
Nashville Predators 40-1
New Jersey Devils 40-1
Tampa Bay Lightning 40-1
Winnipeg Jets 40-1
Buffalo Sabres 50-1
Calgary Flames 50-1
Dallas Stars 50-1
Phoenix Coyotes 50-1
Florida Panthers 100-1
Aerosmith87
Opening Act in Arenas

Post by Aerosmith87 »

chungasrevenge wrote:
LouDoo wrote:This is cool. The Blackhawks placed a full page ad in a Boston newspaper, thanking them for their hospitality during the finals.

Classy move.

2014 Odds. As of now, I'm thinking about Maple Leafs, Rangers and Islanders. Those odds look longer than they should be. Columbus seems like the obvious long shot.

Pittsburgh Penguins 13-2
Chicago Blackhawks 15-2
Boston Bruins 9-1
St. Louis Blues 12-1
Los Angeles Kings 14-1
Vancouver Canucks 14-1
Detroit Red Wings 16-1
New York Rangers 16-1
San Jose Sharks 16-1
Anaheim Ducks 20-1
Toronto Maple Leafs 25-1
Washington Capitals 25-1
Montreal Canadiens 28-1
Carolina Hurricanes 33-1
Edmonton Oilers 33-1
Minnesota Wild 33-1
New York Islanders 33-1
Ottawa Senators 33-1
Philadelphia Flyers 33-1
Colorado Avalanche 40-1
Nashville Predators 40-1
New Jersey Devils 40-1
Tampa Bay Lightning 40-1
Winnipeg Jets 40-1
Buffalo Sabres 50-1
Calgary Flames 50-1
Dallas Stars 50-1
Phoenix Coyotes 50-1
Florida Panthers 100-1
Would you mind explaining these odds, how they work, what each number mean, etc. to my dumbass?
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

chungasrevenge wrote:

Classy move.

Pittsburgh Penguins 13-2
Chicago Blackhawks 15-2
Boston Bruins 9-1
St. Louis Blues 12-1
Los Angeles Kings 14-1
Vancouver Canucks 14-1
Detroit Red Wings 16-1
New York Rangers 16-1
San Jose Sharks 16-1
Anaheim Ducks 20-1
Toronto Maple Leafs 25-1
Washington Capitals 25-1
Montreal Canadiens 28-1
Carolina Hurricanes 33-1
Edmonton Oilers 33-1
Minnesota Wild 33-1
New York Islanders 33-1
Ottawa Senators 33-1
Philadelphia Flyers 33-1
Colorado Avalanche 40-1
Nashville Predators 40-1
New Jersey Devils 40-1
Tampa Bay Lightning 40-1
Winnipeg Jets 40-1
Buffalo Sabres 50-1
Calgary Flames 50-1
Dallas Stars 50-1
Phoenix Coyotes 50-1
Florida Panthers 100-1

The jump between the Yotes and Panthers is huge!

I concur the Blue Jackets looks like the best long shot bet.

WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Aerosmith87 wrote:
chungasrevenge wrote:

Classy move.

Pittsburgh Penguins 13-2
Chicago Blackhawks 15-2
Boston Bruins 9-1
St. Louis Blues 12-1
Los Angeles Kings 14-1
Vancouver Canucks 14-1
Detroit Red Wings 16-1
New York Rangers 16-1
San Jose Sharks 16-1
Anaheim Ducks 20-1
Toronto Maple Leafs 25-1
Washington Capitals 25-1
Montreal Canadiens 28-1
Carolina Hurricanes 33-1
Edmonton Oilers 33-1
Minnesota Wild 33-1
New York Islanders 33-1
Ottawa Senators 33-1
Philadelphia Flyers 33-1
Colorado Avalanche 40-1
Nashville Predators 40-1
New Jersey Devils 40-1
Tampa Bay Lightning 40-1
Winnipeg Jets 40-1
Buffalo Sabres 50-1
Calgary Flames 50-1
Dallas Stars 50-1
Phoenix Coyotes 50-1
Florida Panthers 100-1
Would you mind explaining these odds, how they work, what each number mean, etc. to my dumbass?
Example: For every dollar you bet on the Panthers to win the Cup next season, you win $100 in return if they actually do it.
Aerosmith87
Opening Act in Arenas

Post by Aerosmith87 »

Ahhh gotcha..thanks