The NFL Thread

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Re: The NFL Thread

Post by Machado »

Crazy Levi wrote:
bane wrote:So with the season being over for all but 2 teams, I'm looking forward to the draft. My team managed to out suck the rest of the league in a year where there really is no clear number one guy. They need a QB but I'm not convinced that any of those guys are #1 overall worthy. Rumor has it that Cleveland really wants Manziel and would be willing to trade up. I could see Houston jumping all over that if it was offered. What do you guys think? What QB is the real deal? Would you take another position? Clowney? Mathews?
A trade-down scenario would be great for you, but the fact is while fans love that kind of talk it isn't too often that a team can actually pull that off. So you are probably stuck with #1.

I'd go with Clowney or Mathews over Manzeil. Are the Texans officially giving up on Schaub? What the fuck happened?
Clowney? What has he done to make him the #1 pick. He has under-achiever written all over him.
Looking forward to his career never living up to the high expectations draft experts have given him.
Not saying he's the next JaMarcus or Ryan Leaf, but not too far behind.
dtmfs
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by dtmfs »

Crazy Levi wrote:
bane wrote:A trade-down scenario would be great for you, but the fact is while fans love that kind of talk it isn't too often that a team can actually pull that off. So you are probably stuck with #1.

I'd go with Clowney or Mathews over Manzeil. Are the Texans officially giving up on Schaub? What the fuck happened?
I don't know, I'm far from a college expert, But I've seen multiple NFL draft "experts" say Manziel proved to be NFL ready this year and improved his game where it matters most for a pro system, not to mention He's a Texan and will put asses in the seats.
eddie lee roth
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by eddie lee roth »

Crazy Levi wrote:
eddie lee roth wrote:He's already got a national commercial off of it. Remember leading up to the games that ad you kept seeing where Kaepernick gets off the team bus at some away game and all the fans are yelling at him and he puts his headphones on.

Now the same ad has Sherman at his locker surrounded by media asking him questions when one of'em asks if he's a thug and he just turns around facing his locker and puts the same headphones on.
Err...I saw that commercial DURING the NFC Championship game so I'm pretty sure it was already shot and aired by the time of his insane rant.

I can't believe the legs this story has though, impressive. The only thing that could stop it is someone getting busted with a hooker this weekend (remember that Falcons super bowl?)
No shit??? Well I'll be damned I was getting sick already of that damn commercial with Kaepernick they were showing it all the time around my parts but I hadn't seen the Sherman one until just a few days ago.

As far as the NFL goes and the Super Bowl goes they've had contingency plans in place for awhile now about possibly moving the game to another day if need be.

I wouldn't touch Manziel with the # 1 pick at all go with one of the other QB's if you just had to pick a QB. Clowney looks like a for sure good pick but to pick a QB who is undersized and runs into trouble (which he will) just means you better have a reliable back-up.
dtmfs
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by dtmfs »

Machado wrote:Clowney? What has he done to make him the #1 pick. He has under-achiever written all over him.
Looking forward to his career never living up to the high expectations draft experts have given him.
Clowney is a beast He hurt his Heisman chances early on Dude just wanted to stay healthy and be ready for the draft, having him and Watt on both ends sounds like it could benefit both guys. Then again I said the same thing about Dion Jordan and Cam Wake, difference is Clowney is built like a brick shit house Jordan needs to get his ass in the weight room.
Crazy Levi
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Crazy Levi »

Machado wrote: Clowney? What has he done to make him the #1 pick. He has under-achiever written all over him.
Well, NOBODY has really done anything to make themselves a "#1 pick," that's the problem for the Texans, there's no consensus.

Funny you should mention Ryan Leaf...Manziel seems to have just a little bit of that aura about him.
bane
Threesome with Pam and Donna

Post by bane »

Crazy Levi wrote:
bane wrote:So with the season being over for all but 2 teams, I'm looking forward to the draft. My team managed to out suck the rest of the league in a year where there really is no clear number one guy. They need a QB but I'm not convinced that any of those guys are #1 overall worthy. Rumor has it that Cleveland really wants Manziel and would be willing to trade up. I could see Houston jumping all over that if it was offered. What do you guys think? What QB is the real deal? Would you take another position? Clowney? Mathews?
A trade-down scenario would be great for you, but the fact is while fans love that kind of talk it isn't too often that a team can actually pull that off. So you are probably stuck with #1.

Nothing on Schaub is official, and the new coach comes from the Belechik school of not saying squat to the media, but I'd be shocked if they didn't cut him. This town will go ballistic if he's taking snaps for the texans next year. He just can't play anymore and he is positively vilified here. I see him getting picked up as a backup somewhere else and that'll be that. I could see them picking up a different vet to play next year (I've heard Ryan Mallet's name thrown around a lot) and drafting somebody in the 2nd to be the future, (Carr maybe?) but it's all just speculation because the coach hasn't said a word.
bane

Post by bane »

dtmfs wrote:
Machado wrote:Clowney? What has he done to make him the #1 pick. He has under-achiever written all over him.
Clowney is a beast He hurt his Heisman chances early on Dude just wanted to stay healthy and be ready for the draft, having him and Watt on both ends sounds like it could benefit both guys. Then again I said the same thing about Dion Jordan and Cam Wake, difference is Clowney is built like a brick shit house Jordan needs to get his ass in the weight room.
I just can't see them spending that kind of money on the D line. The cap hit down the line would be insane. Watt is about to get paid huge and if Clowney turns into the beast he could be, they'd have a really disproportionate percentage of their cap tied up in one position.
eddie lee roth
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by eddie lee roth »

Look on the bright side at least you guys aren't saddled with a Tony Romo type contract on Schaub. :lol:
bane

Post by bane »

eddie lee roth wrote:Look on the bright side at least you guys aren't saddled with a Tony Romo type contract on Schaub. :lol:
They'll take a cap hit if they cut him, but it'll be worth it. Time to move on from Mr. Pick 6. Schaub must have had dirty pictures of Kubiak or something because he just kept running him out there when the whole world could see the guy was done.
Crazy Levi

Post by Crazy Levi »

bane wrote:
eddie lee roth wrote:Look on the bright side at least you guys aren't saddled with a Tony Romo type contract on Schaub. :lol:
They'll take a cap hit if they cut him, but it'll be worth it. Time to move on from Mr. Pick 6. Schaub must have had dirty pictures of Kubiak or something because he just kept running him out there when the whole world could see the guy was done.
Schaub signed a $60 million contract with the Texans a couple years ago. Probably not as bad as Romo but I'm sure there will be some pain when they cut him.
bane

Post by bane »

Crazy Levi wrote:
Schaub signed a $60 million contract with the Texans a couple years ago. Probably not as bad as Romo but I'm sure there will be some pain when they cut him.
Yep. You know the character in Any Given Sunday that Dennis Quaid played? The QB that was scared of the hits? I think that's what happened to Schaub.
bane

Post by bane »

dtmfs wrote:
Crazy Levi wrote:
bane wrote:A trade-down scenario would be great for you, but the fact is while fans love that kind of talk it isn't too often that a team can actually pull that off. So you are probably stuck with #1.

I don't know, I'm far from a college expert, But I've seen multiple NFL draft "experts" say Manziel proved to be NFL ready this year and improved his game where it matters most for a pro system, not to mention He's a Texan and will put asses in the seats.
Menziel is ridiculously popular here. There are a shitload of Aggie alumni in this town. It's like Tebow mania all over again. He was really fun to watch in college, but I think he's a huge gamble. I can't see a rookie coach taking that kind of a chance.
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

bane wrote:
dtmfs wrote:
Crazy Levi wrote:
Menziel is ridiculously popular here. There are a shitload of Aggie alumni in this town. It's like Tebow mania all over again. He was really fun to watch in college, but I think he's a huge gamble. I can't see a rookie coach taking that kind of a chance.
I need to see TD Johnny play at a high level for more than 1-2 seasons in the NFL before describing him as a value pick.
He has bust written all over him.
Johnny was a great college player, but it takes more than celebrating a TD with a hand gesture and defeating Bama to make it in the NFL.
ESPN had a huge hard on for this guy and they will do to him what they did to Tebow.
Pump him up and break up into pieces as he's falling.
bane

Post by bane »

Machado wrote:
I need to see TD Johnny play at a high level for more than 1-2 seasons in the NFL before describing him as a value pick.
He has bust written all over him.
Johnny was a great college player, but it takes more than celebrating a TD with a hand gesture and defeating Bama to make it in the NFL.
ESPN had a huge hard on for this guy and they will do to him what they did to Tebow.
Pump him up and break up into pieces as he's falling.
I don't think anybody knows what that kid can do. He very well may be a bust. He also may be the best QB ever. I know I've never seen any college player do what he did. Jury is out. Unless something weird comes out at the combine, he'll go top 10, so we'll all find out soon enough.
UtahRatt
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by UtahRatt »

Menziel is a thug! He'll toss more pic's then Peyton did TD's. I've heard Jones likes him, Johnny Cowboy has a nice ring to it. It will be great to watch Menziel's ego deflate with each sack/interception.
poizond13 wrote:I have been very bummed out, sad and shocked for most of the night
Artemis2085 wrote:so I blurt out "I love you Paul!
Atomicpunk18 wrote:You see Black Crowes music has gotten me laid multiple times.
bane

Post by bane »

UtahRatt wrote:Menziel is a thug!.
Nah, he's a white guy.
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

bane wrote:
UtahRatt wrote:Menziel is a thug!.
Nah, he's a white guy.
So he's a Thugger....Or is it Whugger?
poizond13 wrote:I have been very bummed out, sad and shocked for most of the night
Atomicpunk18 wrote:You see Black Crowes music has gotten me laid multiple times.
Gritt
Official Sludge Ass Kisser

Post by Gritt »

bane wrote:
dtmfs wrote:
I just can't see them spending that kind of money on the D line. The cap hit down the line would be insane. Watt is about to get paid huge and if Clowney turns into the beast he could be, they'd have a really disproportionate percentage of their cap tied up in one position.
Clowney and Watt would be worth it. Own the line of scrimmage and you win more often than not.
Machado wrote:I might not know how to flush a toilet today
Machado owes me an apology.
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

Horse Called War wrote:No way will it ever happen, the NFL will be sued to high heaven. If you made a bet in Vegas and they change the day , your bet will be void. What about if you bought a commercial for 4 million for 30 seconds and they change the day to monday, lawsuit ? and then you have to change the travel arraingements for a shitload of people ? never going to happen.
The NFL wants Peyton to win the game, so get your bets in .
The NFL can do what they want and no doubt it's in their contracts.

Bet's are voided and refunded all the time.
bane

Post by bane »

Gritt wrote: Clowney and Watt would be worth it. Own the line of scrimmage and you win more often than not.
You'd think so, but that philosophy hasn't worked out so well for Detroit. Clowney scares me. He kinda reminds me of Mario Williams. A guy that has all the physical tools to be great, but who has always been able to fall back on natural ability so he doesn't work that hard. Watt is so special because he has all those tools, but he's got an incredible motor. He works harder than anybody and I think he'll go down as one of the best of all time because of it. I don't think Clowney has that.
Gritt

Post by Gritt »

Don't you think Detroit's biggest issue was just being sloppy and undisciplined? The roster has Super Bowl level talent.

I'm not saying I thing Houston should go Clowney. I'm just intrigued by the possibility of the the havoc that d line could create. I think they're going Johnny Football. And I'm almost talking myself into liking it.
AliceManson
Headlining Clubs

Post by AliceManson »

THUG LIFE

The Richard Sherman thing has come full circle.

Sherman and others are turning this into a racial issue. It's reverse race-baiting. Sherman did have an excellent line when he said, "There was a hockey game where they didn’t even play hockey. They just started fighting. I saw that and said, 'Oh, man, I'm the thug?' " Well played.

But if Sherman is as smart as his Stanford education suggests, he should shut up about this.

The notion that "thug" is the N-word in disguise is beyond absurd. I called white Shawn Thornton a thug. I called white Richie Incognito a thug. Why? Because I know what the word means. According to the Free Online Dictionary, a thug is "a cutthroat or ruffian; a hoodlum."

When Sherman went ballistic in his interview with Erin Andrews, he was wild-eyed, crazed and looked capable of violence. He looked like a thug. Calling Sherman a thug based on that moment is not unreasonable.

Not every black man is a thug. The vast majority aren't. But a black man can be a thug. A white man can be a thug. It's not a racial description.

A Stanford grad can be a thug. A Harvard grad can be a thug.

Thornton is a thug. Incognito is a thug. John Tortorella is a thug. At that moment, Sherman was a thug.

The black man in America has a lot of legitimate grievances. This isn't one of them.

Read more: http://www.1059thex.com/pages/markmadde ... z2rQaELVWy
EatTheGlass wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:26 am I'd bet my house that Grohl shuts the Foos down now
Nibbler wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 8:33 pm Looks like Alex has shitcanned the Van Hagar remasters.
bane

Post by bane »

Gritt wrote:Don't you think Detroit's biggest issue was just being sloppy and undisciplined? The roster has Super Bowl level talent.
Absolutely. That team is stacked with talent, but they aren't getting the results they should. Comes down to coaching and team culture I guess.
Gritt

Post by Gritt »

bane wrote:
Gritt wrote:Don't you think Detroit's biggest issue was just being sloppy and undisciplined? The roster has Super Bowl level talent.
Absolutely. That team is stacked with talent, but they aren't getting the results they should. Comes down to coaching and team culture I guess.
And then they made the most underwhelming hire this side of Cleveland. That franchise is a joke.
DaveB
Opening Act in Arenas

Post by DaveB »

AliceManson wrote:THUG LIFE

Not every black man is a thug. The vast majority aren't. But a black man can be a thug. A white man can be a thug. It's not a racial description.

Thornton is a thug. Incognito is a thug. John Tortorella is a thug. At that moment, Sherman was a thug.
I could even be a thug!
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

THE PRO BOWL IS ON! :lol:

Well, I just clicked on what I thought was the Pro Bowl

Team Rice vs Team Sanders? I had to look it up just to find out what the fuck I was watching. Fucking seriously? Team Rice vs Team Sanders?

No kick offs, stupid fucking uniforms, team mates on different teams because they picked players like in grade school? Is that right?
Jesus, Levi, you and your "I like pussifed NFL" have officially destroyed the ProBowl and that's what's the NFL is going to look like in a few years. A total joke.

I will say it's nice to watch players actually play a little harder but overall....Thanks to the new generation for fucking up what once a game everyone loved and looked forward too watching. Not to mention the NFL itself.
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

DaveB wrote:
AliceManson wrote:THUG LIFE

I could even be a thug!
You're a Thugger.
John Simon Ritchie

Post by John Simon Ritchie »

UtahRatt wrote:THE PRO BOWL IS ON! :lol:

Team Rice vs Team Sanders? I had to look it up just to find out what the fuck I was watching. Fucking seriously? Team Rice vs Team Sanders?

No kick offs, stupid fucking uniforms, team mates on different teams because they picked players like in grade school? Is that right?
Jesus, Levi, you and your "I like pussifed NFL" have officially destroyed the ProBowl and that's what's the NFL is going to look like in a few years. A total joke.

I will say it's nice to watch players actually play a little harder but overall....Thanks to the new generation for fucking up what once a game everyone loved and looked forward too watching. Not to mention the NFL itself.

Shit was unfuckingwatchable.
"I was looking for that great jazz note that destroyed the walls of Jericho." - The Clash, The Sound Of Sinners
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

Gritt wrote:
bane wrote:
And then they made the most underwhelming hire this side of Cleveland. That franchise is a joke.
The Lions.
I honestly thought with Bush and the way the offense was rolling the Lions were going to the playoffs and from there who knows....They looked scary good at times. No fucking clue what happened towards the end. They could use another WR but would Stafford utilize one? I watched a couple bad games and Stafford acted like Calvin Johnson was the only player on the field and you can only complete so many passes in triple coverage with CJ.

Not a big on Burleson "IR" or Durham either but it don't help when they're only targeted 3 times a game anyway.
Staffords check down was:
1. Calvin Johnson
2. Calvin Johnson
3. Calvin Johnson
4. Scramble, throwaway..sack....
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

John Simon Ritchie wrote:
UtahRatt wrote:THE PRO BOWL IS ON! :lol:

Shit was unfuckingwatchable.
The second half was almost ok but MUCH MUCH better then recent years. I liked a few of the rule changes, seen some sacks. The last drive was good but over all it was unrecognizable.

But...Who the fuck came up with Team Rice and Sanders?

Roger Goodell was going to cancel the game because it costs too much money to put on......WHAT? Fuck your money, ROMO's one game paycheck could put it on. How about giving back to the fucking fans, the fans that pay to make the NFL possible.