The NFL Thread

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

bane
Threesome with Pam and Donna

Re: The NFL Thread

Post by bane »

I don't think the cap hit is that big a deal. They're paying him that much anyway, so it's a wash cap wise for Houston.
Crazy Levi
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Crazy Levi »

bane wrote:
AliceManson wrote:
bane wrote:Andre Johnson is making noise about wanting to be traded. Can't say I blame him, but, damn.
O'Brien did want Mallett, Patriots need receivers.
I don't know how much truth there was to that rumor, and I don't know if Mallet is any good. He's completed what, 4 passes? but I'd rather see them do something like that than trade him for a 3rd like I've been seeing suggested. Texans are a QB away from being really good again.
Mallet is just Matt Cassell with a lot less game film.

Sucker bait.
bane

Post by bane »

Crazy Levi wrote:
Mallet is just Matt Cassell with a lot less game film.

Sucker bait.
That's kind of my take on him too. Cousins is intriguing though. Of course, I don't know if that does a thing for AJ 'a chances at getting a ring before he 's done.

There are several clipboard holders out there with ties to O 'brien. McGloin is gonna be cut soon. I don't see anything that makes me think any of them are better than the guys he already has on the roster though .
AliceManson
Headlining Clubs

Post by AliceManson »

Crazy Levi wrote: Mallet is just Matt Cassell with a lot less game film.

Sucker bait.
Maybe, but O'Brien would know firsthand. This isn't Andy Reid pulling a fast one on someone.
EatTheGlass wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:26 am I'd bet my house that Grohl shuts the Foos down now
Nibbler wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 8:33 pm Looks like Alex has shitcanned the Van Hagar remasters.
bane

Post by bane »

AliceManson wrote:

Sucker bait.
Maybe, but O'Brien would know firsthand. This isn't Andy Reid pulling a fast one on someone.
With the draft of Garrapolo are the Pats going to just cut him anyway? Are they gonna carry 3 QBs?
Facedown
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by Facedown »

They will probably cut him if they can't trade him but I'm sure they can get something for him.
His rookie contract is up after this season.
bonedog wrote:I let Facedown get the better of me
bonedog wrote:My first kid will be born when I am 47.
bonedog wrote:I suck at sludging.
bane

Post by bane »

Facedown wrote:They will probably cut him if they can't trade him but I'm sure they can get something for him.
His rookie contract is up after this season.
Maybe. Backup QBs with zero game experience aren't exactly hard to find. Houston could be a trade fit because of the history, but I don't know if anybody else will give anything up for him knowing he'll probably get cut and be on the market anyway. There are going to be a bunch of guys cut. Houston for example has at least one guy with game experience that's gonna be out there soon. Yates is probably gone and he won a playoff game.
veritas
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by veritas »

bane wrote:I don't think the cap hit is that big a deal. They're paying him that much anyway, so it's a wash cap wise for Houston.
well, no, it's not a wash. under one scenario you are paying roughly $10M to have a stud receiver on your team, who, despite getting bitchy, will likely play hard to maximize value next year. And under the other scenario you are paying $10M in dead money for nothing.
veritas
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by veritas »

bane wrote:
AliceManson wrote:

Sucker bait.
With the draft of Garrapolo are the Pats going to just cut him anyway? Are they gonna carry 3 QBs?

very perplexing, actually. Everyone thought Mallet was trade bait before and during the draft -- and maybe he was, but bill o'brien's price was not belichick's. They might get mallet one more year and then let him go, if they can't extract any picks for him.
veritas
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by veritas »

AliceManson wrote:

Sucker bait.

True. Mallett hasn't proven he is capable of anything, but O'Brien certainly knows his worth.
bane

Post by bane »

veritas wrote:
bane wrote:I don't think the cap hit is that big a deal. They're paying him that much anyway, so it's a wash cap wise for Houston.
well, no, it's not a wash. under one scenario you are paying roughly $10M to have a stud receiver on your team, who, despite getting bitchy, will likely play hard to maximize value next year. And under the other scenario you are paying $10M in dead money for nothing.
Well sure, my point was, the Texans can do it without any additional cap hit. It is financially feasible for them to trade him if that's what they decide to do. I'm torn on it. AJ is a total bad ass who has never been a me guy , but I think he deserves a shot at a ring before he hangs it up and Houston doesn't appear to have a QB or much of a chance at one in the near future.
Crazy Levi

Post by Crazy Levi »

What does Cousins bring to the table in Houston besides a familiarity with the system (assuming they are still running Kyle Shanahan's)?

It's been a pipe-dream all season long among Skins fans that we'd get a 2nd or even 3rd for Cousins but at this point I think he'll just be sticking around for backup duty.
bane

Post by bane »

Crazy Levi wrote:What does Cousins bring to the table in Houston besides a familiarity with the system (assuming they are still running Kyle Shanahan's)?

It's been a pipe-dream all season long among Skins fans that we'd get a 2nd or even 3rd for Cousins but at this point I think he'll just be sticking around for backup duty.
He's one of the few QBs who could be available that has shown he can play a bit. Houston definitely won't be running Shanahan's system. That went out the door with Kubiak.
veritas
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by veritas »

bane wrote:
veritas wrote:
Well sure, my point was, the Texans can do it without any additional cap hit. It is financially feasible for them to trade him if that's what they decide to do. I'm torn on it. AJ is a total bad ass who has never been a me guy , but I think he deserves a shot at a ring before he hangs it up and Houston doesn't appear to have a QB or much of a chance at one in the near future.
fair enough. I think it's actually a very unprofessional, selfish thing to do to his team, but it seems to be out of character for him?
bane

Post by bane »

veritas wrote:
fair enough. I think it's actually a very unprofessional, selfish thing to do to his team, but it seems to be out of character for him?
Way out of character for him. He hasn't made any demands though. So far all he's done is say that he's frustrated.
veritas
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by veritas »

bane wrote:
veritas wrote:
Way out of character for him. He hasn't made any demands though. So far all he's done is say that he's frustrated.

well, I would love to have him on the Patriots -- he has torched their asses enough times...
UtahRatt
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by UtahRatt »

kylel wrote:
UtahRatt wrote:I'm saying it now, Carolina Panthers will have an average year at best. CamBow Newton don't have the help needed and he'll have a CamBow type year.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

We will see. They still have a wicked defense, and yes they did loose a lot on the offense but I have a good feeling about it... They are doing with the offense what they did with the defense a couple years ago and look at the defense now.. Insane...
I like the Panthers, I don't have faith in Kambow but they're still a good team....They was good last year and A few key players from being really good this year.

But sadly I don't see them being close to a 12-4 good team....Then again....It's only May.
poizond13 wrote:I have been very bummed out, sad and shocked for most of the night
Artemis2085 wrote:so I blurt out "I love you Paul!
Atomicpunk18 wrote:You see Black Crowes music has gotten me laid multiple times.
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

bane wrote:Texans are a QB away from being really good again.
I'm gonna say no. Winning 2 games last year is going to take a lot more then a QB.
poizond13 wrote:I have been very bummed out, sad and shocked for most of the night
Atomicpunk18 wrote:You see Black Crowes music has gotten me laid multiple times.
bane

Post by bane »

UtahRatt wrote:
I'm gonna say no. Winning 2 games last year is going to take a lot more then a QB.
You're entitled to that opinion, even though you'd be wrong. They had a lot of holes like most teams. They addressed every one of them in the draft except QB. Replacing Kubiak alone will make a huge difference. They didn't lose 14 games last year due to lack of talent. Their coach sucked.
Crazy Levi

Post by Crazy Levi »

bane wrote:
UtahRatt wrote:
You're entitled to that opinion, even though you'd be wrong. They had a lot of holes like most teams. They addressed every one of them in the draft except QB. Replacing Kubiak alone will make a huge difference. They didn't lose 14 games last year due to lack of talent. Their coach sucked.
So would you consider a 2nd round pick - or any price - for Cousins if you were in charge?
bane

Post by bane »

That's too high IMO. They gave up a 3 when they got Schaub from Atlanta as I recall. This could be a similar type deal. Really depends on what O'Brien thinks of Cousins vs the 4 guys he's got now. From the little I've seen of Cousins, he looks like he can play, but I have no idea how high his ceiling is.
WTF

Post by WTF »

Kamikaze_Russo wrote:Just wait for the media backlash when Michael Sam gets cut. 7th round picks don't usually make the team, and if he doesn't... a lot of people will say it's because he's gay.
Does Sam get picked in the 7th Round if he hadn't come out as gay, though? Or is he a much better than 7th Round talent that lasted that long because of "the issue"? I mean, SEC defensive player of the year gets picked in the 7th round?!
WhiteHouseSubsAC

Post by WhiteHouseSubsAC »

WTF wrote:
Kamikaze_Russo wrote:Just wait for the media backlash when Michael Sam gets cut. 7th round picks don't usually make the team, and if he doesn't... a lot of people will say it's because he's gay.
Does Sam get picked in the 7th Round if he hadn't come out as gay, though? Or is he a much better than 7th Round talent that lasted that long because of "the issue"? I mean, SEC defensive player of the year gets picked in the 7th round?!
Scouts said he's "not athletic enough" whatever that means. Someone should look at where he sat on that idiot Kiper's board before he came out of the closet.
HeavyMetalZombie666 wrote:Of course your asshole is going to be sore when you volunteer for an asspounding and not set any boundaries at all.
bane

Post by bane »

WTF wrote:
He's not big enough to play DE and he's not athletic enough to play linebacker. That was the scouting on him anyway. Before he came out the concensus was 5th round at best. I'd imagine the potential media circus pushed him down some. This Oprah thing isn't going to help his chances of making the roster much.
Crazy Levi

Post by Crazy Levi »

bane wrote: This Oprah thing isn't going to help his chances of making the roster much.
If he can play it really ain't gonna matter. They won't cut him cause he did Oprah.

Sam is no dummy...he's laying down the groundwork and he'll be in better shape than Tebow for some kind of non-football player career if this Rams thing doesn't work out.
bane

Post by bane »

Crazy Levi wrote:
bane wrote: This Oprah thing isn't going to help his chances of making the roster much.
If he can play it really ain't gonna matter. They won't cut him cause he did Oprah.

Sam is no dummy...he's laying down the groundwork and he'll be in better shape than Tebow for some kind of non-football player career if this Rams thing doesn't work out.
Agreed, but he's not just doing Oprah. He's doing some type of reality series on the Oprah network. If he's a bubble guy that could hurt him. I agree with your assessment about him covering his non football bases though.
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

I doubt he'll make the team but maybe Jeff Garcia or Colin Kaepernick can help this kid out.
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

The Colts' career sacks leader was suspended Friday by the NFL after violating the league's ban on performance-enhancing substances. The linebacker said in a statement he was seeking fertility assistance. He acknowledged that he and his wife are expecting a baby.

"It is difficult for me to address the circumstances surrounding this suspension because they involve very personal medical information, but it is very important to me that my fans, particularly young people, understand what did and did not occur. Like many families, my wife and I faced fertility challenges, and I sought medical assistance. I specifically asked the doctor if the medication he prescribed for me would present a problem for NFL drug testing, and unfortunately, he incorrectly told me that it would not. I made the mistake of not calling the NFL or NFLPA to double-check before I took the medication at the end of last season.

"The union has worked very closely with me to present all of the facts and medical records for consideration of discipline that does not include a suspension because of the unique facts of my case, but the commissioner refused the request. I am deeply saddened that this situation will prevent me from contributing to my team for four games, and I regret that I didn't cross-check what my doctor told me before I took the medication. I hope that my fans will understand the unique circumstances involved here and continue to know that I am a man of integrity who would never intentionally circumvent the performance-enhancing substance policy agreed to by the NFL and my union.

"The incredible blessing of this very upsetting situation is that, after I took the medication very briefly at the end of last season, we learned that my wife is expecting a baby. We are thrilled that we will be welcoming a new member in several months, but I apologize to my teammates, coaches and Colts fans that I will not be able to contribute to my team for the first four weeks of the 2014 season. I will work extremely hard during that time to stay in top football shape and will be prepared to contribute immediately upon my return."
bane

Post by bane »

Mathis is either really, really dumb , or he's lying. My money is on the latter.
WTF

Post by WTF »

bane wrote:Mathis is either really, really dumb , or he's lying. My money is on the latter.
Definitely the latter. Mathis already has twins. He's coming off his 11th season. A season in which he topped his career season high of sacks by 8! Without Dwight Freeney to take pressure off him....

Clomid is a masking agent for anabolic steroids...