RIP Coach Dean Smith

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

DaveB
Opening Act in Arenas

RIP Coach Dean Smith

Post by DaveB »

As a Kentucky fan, I have little love for North Carolina but I have the utmost respect for greatness. Coach Smith fits that mold.

God Speed.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... ies-age-83
Woosh
Cap'n Creamy Pee

Re: RIP Coach Dean Smith

Post by Woosh »

Even though he was older, this was quite the gut punch. RIP
IF UR ONE OF US THEN
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

I hated when his teams would go to the 4 corners offense.
STALL BALL!

Play the game straight up and stop holding the ball for absurd amounts of time. What is so innovating about that offensive scheme???
Gritt
Official Sludge Ass Kisser

Post by Gritt »

Considering there was no shot clock for much of his career that was a brilliant strategy. If his team was up why give the ball back?
Machado wrote:I might not know how to flush a toilet today
Machado owes me an apology.
Woosh
Cap'n Creamy Pee

Post by Woosh »

For real, Matardo. The shot clock exists in college b ball BECAUSE of Dean Smith and the four corner offense. It's playing smart, please try to understand.
IF UR ONE OF US THEN
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

Woosh wrote:For real, Matardo. The shot clock exists in college b ball BECAUSE of Dean Smith and the four corner offense. It's playing smart, please try to understand.
Playing keep away is smart? OK if you say so. Was never a fan of the Carolina blue and their 4 corners offense. Just sayin'
Gritt
Official Sludge Ass Kisser

Post by Gritt »

Machado wrote:
Woosh wrote:For real, Matardo. The shot clock exists in college b ball BECAUSE of Dean Smith and the four corner offense. It's playing smart, please try to understand.
Playing keep away is smart? OK if you say so. Was never a fan of the Carolina blue and their 4 corners offense. Just sayin'
You have officially gone into nuclear levels of stupid. Of course playing keep away is smart. If the other team doesn't have the ball, they can't score. They can't score, they can't win. It's actually pretty simple.
Machado wrote:I might not know how to flush a toilet today
Machado owes me an apology.
Rainbow Bright
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Rainbow Bright »

You know you're a bad motherfucker when the rules have to be changed due to your success. It happened to Wilt Chamberlain. And it also happened to Dean Smith.

R.I.P. you glorious bastard.
MurrayFiend
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by MurrayFiend »

Sounds like he was a principled guy, too:

http://www.edgeofsports.com/2015-02-10-1000/

R.I.P.
HeavyMetalZombie666 wrote:Any chicks on this board like Sean Connery or Roger Moore?
DaveB
Opening Act in Arenas

Post by DaveB »

You guys hear the latest? He left each of his former players, all 180 of them, $200 each and told them that their next dinner was on him.

What a class act.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the ... 29376.html
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

DaveB wrote:You guys hear the latest? He left each of his former players, all 180 of them, $200 each and told them that their next dinner was on him.

What a class act.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the ... 29376.html
Was not every single player that played for him. The money was for
former varsity letterman
johnk5150

Post by johnk5150 »

Woosh wrote:For real, Matardo. The shot clock exists in college b ball BECAUSE of Dean Smith...
And Lute Olsen. And Denny Crum. And Jud Heathcoate.

The list goes on and on. Everyone played that style before the NCAA finally wised up. I'm surprised it only took them fifty years to make the change.
He's like the Liberace of bass & pot.

$tevil
johnk5150

Post by johnk5150 »

Think about what a great TEAM coach Dean Smith really was. His offenses were set up where everyone touched the basketball. Think about Jordan. Rod Thorn knew he was getting a solid player when he drafted MJ, but NO one knew they were getting the game changer that he became once he was out of Smith's system and allowed to take over the show. If he had gone to any other school Jordan would have been considered one of the greatest players in NCAA history. And he would have been a Rocket instead of a Bull.

Thanks coach Smith!

$tevil
johnk5150

Post by johnk5150 »

By the way, has anyone noticed the names of the 4 coaches left in the tournament? I haven't filled out a bracket in years, but next year I will and just pick teams based on who's leading them.

$tevil
DaveB
Opening Act in Arenas

Post by DaveB »

johnk5150 wrote:By the way, has anyone noticed the names of the 4 coaches left in the tournament?
Calapari
Izzo
Krzyzewski
Ryan

One of these things is not like the other.
Tenacious_Dio
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Tenacious_Dio »

johnk5150 wrote:By the way, has anyone noticed the names of the 4 coaches left in the tournament? I haven't filled out a bracket in years, but next year I will and just pick teams based on who's leading them.
Didn't do a bracket this year, but when I did, I always picked Michigan State to go far. They've made me some good money.
Rainbow Bright
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Rainbow Bright »

johnk5150 wrote:Think about what a great TEAM coach Dean Smith really was. His offenses were set up where everyone touched the basketball. Think about Jordan. Rod Thorn knew he was getting a solid player when he drafted MJ, but NO one knew they were getting the game changer that he became once he was out of Smith's system and allowed to take over the show. If he had gone to any other school Jordan would have been considered one of the greatest players in NCAA history. And he would have been a Rocket instead of a Bull.

Thanks coach Smith!

I was reading somewhere that the Rockets had a shot at snagging both Clyde and MJ to pair up with Hakeem. That would have been an unbeatable hydra.
johnk5150

Post by johnk5150 »

Rainbow Bright wrote:
johnk5150 wrote:Think about what a great TEAM coach Dean Smith really was. His offenses were set up where everyone touched the basketball. Think about Jordan. Rod Thorn knew he was getting a solid player when he drafted MJ, but NO one knew they were getting the game changer that he became once he was out of Smith's system and allowed to take over the show. If he had gone to any other school Jordan would have been considered one of the greatest players in NCAA history. And he would have been a Rocket instead of a Bull.

Thanks coach Smith!

I was reading somewhere that the Rockets had a shot at snagging both Clyde and MJ to pair up with Hakeem. That would have been an unbeatable hydra.
That would have been sick and wrong fun to watch.

$tevil
Woosh
Cap'n Creamy Pee

Post by Woosh »

Rainbow Bright wrote:

Thanks coach Smith!

damn I wish I could get a link to that story, would love to hear how that would have worked out! I seem to remember a 30 for 30 that barely mentioned it, but I'm not sure.
IF UR ONE OF US THEN