***OFFICIAL*** 2010 FIFA WORLD CUP thread

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

pieceofme
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Re: ***OFFICIAL*** 2010 FIFA WORLD CUP thread

Post by pieceofme »

Hellsinkey wrote:The German machine rolls on, though Australia is not one of the strongest teams.
They are a decent team though. Germany just work so much better as a team than England. If anything we have more world class players but its just that there isn't a system where they can mould them into a solid team. Oh well.
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Kid-Wicked wrote:germany's first goal was offside. why didn't the commentators say anything?

or show the replay that showed him offside more than once?
From what I recall the player was in an offside position but wasn't interferring with play, hence why it wasn't called for offside. The ball went nowhere near the player who was in the offside position.

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
MickeyG
Doing 20 Questions with Metal Sludge

Post by MickeyG »

Ugmo wrote:Funny thing about the Vuvuzelas is that Sepp Bladder refused to ban them because they're supposedly an "African tradition." In actual fact the Africans apparently got the idea from MLS, which has thankfully all but phased them out since the early years. Used to be the only kind of identifiable atmosphere at MLS games was little kids honking those irritating plastic horns, and now South Africa is annoying the whole world with them.
Just because it started in the US doesn't mean it isn't an African tradition.

Drinking tea is an English tradition. But tea was only first imported to England in the 1660's after Charles II married the Portuguese princess Catherine, who liked to drink tea.
Ugmo
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by Ugmo »

MickeyG wrote:Just because it started in the US doesn't mean it isn't an African tradition.

Drinking tea is an English tradition. But tea was only first imported to England in the 1660's after Charles II married the Portuguese princess Catherine, who liked to drink tea.
There was an article about it in the German press the other day, Spiegel I think. Apparently these things bear no resemblence to any kind of traditional African horn. I mean, if you can consider anything that is less than 10 years old a tradition (MLS is only 15 years old, so the plastic horns can't have spread to Africa much more than 10 years ago), then you are great at stretching the definition of the word!

Personally I think the best solution would be for FIFA to say the horns can only be used for South Africa games, or possibly those involving African teams. To have hundreds of millions of TV viewers all over the world completely put off by these things so that a few thousand people in the stadium can get their jollies with them is asking a bit much in my opinion.
MickeyG

Post by MickeyG »

They don't really bother me to be honest.
Ugmo

Post by Ugmo »

Turns out they could be banned! Both Messi and the French captain have said they can't even communicate with the other players due to the noise, and the major European TV networks have complained bitterly about them, so the South African organizers have said they might prohibit them inside the stadiums (at least according to Spiegel).
MickeyG

Post by MickeyG »

Not sure I trust a German news source, you know, propaganda and all that! :lol:
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

pieceofme wrote:
Kid-Wicked wrote:germany's first goal was offside. why didn't the commentators say anything?

From what I recall the player was in an offside position but wasn't interferring with play, hence why it wasn't called for offside. The ball went nowhere near the player who was in the offside position.
the guy that made the cross was offside before he made the pass not on the shot.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Kid-Wicked wrote:
pieceofme wrote:

the guy that made the cross was offside before he made the pass not on the shot.
I've seen it again and he was about a yard onside.

Heres a link. On the 30 second mark its very clear he is onside.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWhrMSClO0Q

You're welcome.

Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

pieceofme wrote:
I've seen it again and he was about a yard onside.

Heres a link. On the 30 second mark its very clear he is onside.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWhrMSClO0Q

You're welcome.
yeah, i found it earlier. i looked at it a few more times. i think he was onside. another half a second and he was off. good call by the linesman.
demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

New Zealand vs Slovakia tonight.

It probably won't mean a hill of beans in the context of the Cup, and NZ's chances are slim to none... But since the last time we were at this level was 1982 (I was 5), and I never thought the day would come again, I'm fairly psyched.
Moggio wrote:You see, the problem with you is that you act like I have no credibility or something.
PhoenixFlames wrote:AVATAR made 2.7 billion which (maths) is close to 3 x million millions!!!!!!
demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

Holy fuck, a World Cup draw snatched with a goal in the last seconds of injury time... For a small country where soccer/football is not the biggest sport, that's our biggest ever result.
Moggio wrote:You see, the problem with you is that you act like I have no credibility or something.
PhoenixFlames wrote:AVATAR made 2.7 billion which (maths) is close to 3 x million millions!!!!!!
WhiteHouseSubsAC
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by WhiteHouseSubsAC »

That was a sweet finish!
HeavyMetalZombie666 wrote:Of course your asshole is going to be sore when you volunteer for an asspounding and not set any boundaries at all.
Lofty
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Lofty »

demolition23 wrote:Holy fuck, a World Cup draw snatched with a goal in the last seconds of injury time... For a small country where soccer/football is not the biggest sport, that's our biggest ever result.
Fucking props bro! Just came back and saw the last few minutes of the game. Great result for the all whites
CANCER IS A MOTHERFUCKER......BUT I'M GONNA MAKE IT MY BITCH......''CANCER......GET TO THE KITCHEN....AND MAKE ME A PIE''
mullet_head
Headlining Clubs

Post by mullet_head »

What a bunch of fucking losers! I'm glad I didn't take the day off work for this shit. Would be a waste of beer and peanuts.
I'm also glad my kid is German. No one deserves to have to root for these idiots.
Bidokan
Playing in a Garage

Post by Bidokan »

Aside from Germany, none from the favorites to win the cup have put a decent game.
I still want Argentina to win.
Supersonic
Showcasing for A&R Reps

Post by Supersonic »

Well apart from the Argentina and Germany games, the whole thing has been the perfect definition of boredom.

As they are early morning games for me, I've fell asleep half the time. Roll on the knock out stages.
mullet_head
Headlining Clubs

Post by mullet_head »

Yeah this WC is pretty much sucking so far but things will pick up in the next stage.
Portugal has a history of being mediocre against lesse teams, I'm hoping they'll up their game against Brazil and pull a '66 but that's mostly wishful thinking.

Queiroz is a fucking idiot.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

North Korea not doing too bad so far. Would love if they beat Brazil.

pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Sigh.

Brazil have scored.

mullet_head
Headlining Clubs

Post by mullet_head »

That's the thing with Brazil. They weren't playing that great and all of sudden BAM.

Fucking Maicon.
Bidokan
Playing in a Garage

Post by Bidokan »

I hope Ivory Coast fucks Lazil up, I am tired of watching how mediocre their game is because somehow, any of their players will score.

France needs to take Mexico out of the WC too.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Bidokan wrote:I hope Ivory Coast fucks Lazil up, I am tired of watching how mediocre their game is because somehow, any of their players will score.

Fuck that. Mexico need to take France out of the World Cup.

SLASH1976

Post by SLASH1976 »

mullet_head wrote:That's the thing with Brazil. They weren't playing that great and all of sudden BAM.

Fucking Maicon.
great goal though
SAVE THE EARTH IT'S THE ONLY PLANET WITH BEER

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy & paste him into your
(")_(") sig to help him gain world domination

pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

SLASH1976 wrote:
mullet_head wrote:That's the thing with Brazil. They weren't playing that great and all of sudden BAM.

Fucking Maicon.
great goal though
It was ok. The Goalkeeper was in a poor position.

WhiteHouseSubsAC
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by WhiteHouseSubsAC »

Bidokan wrote:I hope Ivory Coast fucks Lazil up, I am tired of watching how mediocre their game is because somehow, any of their players will score.

Those Ivory Coast guys are HUGE. I wish one of them would have taken a red card for the team and broken that pussy Ronaldo's leg with a tackle. I'm a total soccer fan but I can see why a casual observer would be turned off by that guys constant diving and whining. Even the announcers mentioned it.
HeavyMetalZombie666 wrote:Of course your asshole is going to be sore when you volunteer for an asspounding and not set any boundaries at all.
nycyankee
Recording Debut Album

Post by nycyankee »

This world cups sucks. The Vuvuzelas and the choice of a soccer ball fucked everything up. I refuse to believe that the best players in the world are this inaccurate at their shots at goal. Every single kicked ball is going over the crossbar. I don't believe that it's a South African thing either because there were plenty of goals in the Confederations Cup a couple yrs ago.

I have a feeling it will be a very long time before another WC is held in Africa again.( unless they ban those stupid fuckin horns).
mullet_head
Headlining Clubs

Post by mullet_head »

Bidokan wrote:France needs to take Mexico out of the WC too.
Why on earth would you wish that? I can't think of a team that's most hated than France.

If any terrorist is reading this, will you please blow something up in France?
demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

nycyankee wrote: I have a feeling it will be a very long time before another WC is held in Africa again.( unless they ban those stupid fuckin horns).
1) Given the outfit that can ban the horns is the same outfit that decides where a World Cup goes, I can't see how the horns would impact on the decision.

2) Is anywhere else in Africa even a contender to hold a World Cup? South Africa had already hosted a Rugby World Cup and a Cricket World Cup and has a lot of ties to Britain/Europe as well as the rest of Africa, but I'm assuming nowhere else on the continent is close to being a contender?
Ugmo

Post by Ugmo »

demolition23 wrote:Holy fuck, a World Cup draw snatched with a goal in the last seconds of injury time... For a small country where soccer/football is not the biggest sport, that's our biggest ever result.
The Austrialian quizmaster at the pub last night had a good announcement: "Congratulations to New Zealand for their last-minute equalizer against Slovakia today. There are going to be a lot of happy sheep in New Zealand tonight."