The association football 2009/10 thread...

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

pieceofme
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Re: The association football 2009/10 thread...

Post by pieceofme »

CliffByford wrote:All this begs the question - why cannot he recreate his form for Argentina? Is it the players around him? The system that Maradona imposes on the side? Look at how Messi played tonight, then watch him in the national side. It's like two different players entirely.

Incidentally, QPR are still shit.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/timvickery/2 ... messi.html
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
MickeyG
Doing 20 Questions with Metal Sludge

Post by MickeyG »

3-0, 5 mins before half time for United, great first half display so far.
MickeyG

Post by MickeyG »

Fuck, 5 mins into the second half 3-1 and down to 10 men. Gonna be nervy.
Hellsinkey

Post by Hellsinkey »

It's all over, started so well. :? Nani and Valencia were good though.
Ugmo
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by Ugmo »

Let's go Lyon. Has a French team ever made the Champions League semis?

I hate Bayern domestically but mostly cheer for them in Europe, as they are fiscally sensible unlike a lot of big clubs.
MickeyG

Post by MickeyG »

Fuckin' Carrick was at fault for the first Bayern goal and gave the ball away leading up to the second. He's been shit this season, and needs to be sold.

It would be easy to blame Rafael, but he kept Ribery in his back pocket in the first half. It seems coz he's a small lad he tries to be a bit too physical at times to make up for it.

Rooney has miracle powers of recovery.

Nani and Valencia were good tonight.

The center of midfield has been Uniteds weakness for some time now. Any 2 or 3 from a choice of Fletcher, Carrick, Gibson, Scholes or Giggs does not scream world class anymore. Yes, Scholes and Giggs in their pomp were as good as any (Giggs on the wing, obviously), but now at the highest level money needs to be spent. I know Hargreaves is on his way back, but it will take more than just him.

Berbatov is still shite. :roll:
Hellsinkey

Post by Hellsinkey »

MickeyG wrote:
Tevez would have made the crucial difference this season, shame that money was more important him.
MickeyG

Post by MickeyG »

And just as importantly as being shite, Ferguson has little confidence in Berbatov otherwise he would have started instead of Rooney.
coatsy
Opening for Slaughter

Post by coatsy »

Ugmo wrote:Let's go Lyon. Has a French team ever made the Champions League semis?
though not really french, AS Monaco have, and they do play in ther french league.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

MickeyG wrote:Fuckin' Carrick was at fault for the first Bayern goal and gave the ball away leading up to the second. He's been shit this season, and needs to be sold.

It would be easy to blame Rafael, but he kept Ribery in his back pocket in the first half. It seems coz he's a small lad he tries to be a bit too physical at times to make up for it.

Rooney has miracle powers of recovery.

Nani and Valencia were good tonight.

The center of midfield has been Uniteds weakness for some time now. Any 2 or 3 from a choice of Fletcher, Carrick, Gibson, Scholes or Giggs does not scream world class anymore. Yes, Scholes and Giggs in their pomp were as good as any (Giggs on the wing, obviously), but now at the highest level money needs to be spent. I know Hargreaves is on his way back, but it will take more than just him.

I rate Fletcher really highly. As you say Scholes and Giggs in their prime were fantastic, but they are not getting any younger thats for sure. Not sure about Gibson at all and can see him being sold to someone like Sunderland in the future. Carrick i've never been sure about but this season he has been really poor.

I never rated Berbatov when he was at Spurs, and he really hasn't lived to his price tag. Money needs to be spent this summer - ideally on a new striker, and a good attacking midfielder. I think we had a player who covered both those positions - oh yeah Ronaldo. :x Valenica has been a good signing though imo. Just need more attacking options and not to rely on Rooney so much.

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
jellyheadrobertson
Playing Frat Parties

Post by jellyheadrobertson »

United signed a Mexican Striker today or will do in the near future.

Clinical finishing by Torres against Benfica. If only he could stay fit (and have a better supporting cast)
coatsy
Opening for Slaughter

Post by coatsy »

if anyone's interested rangers are skooshing the league in scotland, 13 points clear. 2 more wins secures the title. other news my local non-league(junior) in scotland won their local derby against pollok 2-1 mayhem ensued sendings offs, both benches getting in about it.
Hellsinkey

Post by Hellsinkey »

pieceofme wrote: I never rated Berbatov when he was at Spurs.
I thought he was good at Spurs, but has never suited with style of playing at ManU. I think they'll find more effective striker and get rid of him.
coatsy
Opening for Slaughter

Post by coatsy »

for sir awex to complain about bayern players hassling the referee is hilarious, his team has done it for 20 years and more. his aberdeen team in scotland did the same thing, fucking hypocrite.
MickeyG

Post by MickeyG »

Wasn't he complaining about the Germans trying to get a fellow pro sent off? I can remember United players surrounding the ref over giving a pen but never to get someone on the other team sent off.

For the record, I've no complaints about the sending off. And I think the ref was calling Rafael over to him anyway before the Germans stuck their oar in. It looked worse than what it was, the Bayern players complaining, I mean.

It's classic Fergie though. Trying to deflect the attention away from his own and the teams failings. Remember the barracking Beckham got after he got sent off in the 98 world cup? If Fergie was England manager he would never have allowed that to happen. He would have done something, or said something after the match to deflect from the sending off, and thus take the heat off Beckham.

Still, I know he's pragmatic, but I'd like to see Jose Mourinho installed at Old Trafford before finding a successor to Fergie becomes very difficult. Fergie can't go on forever.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

MickeyG wrote:Wasn't he complaining about the Germans trying to get a fellow pro sent off? I can remember United players surrounding the ref over giving a pen but never to get someone on the other team sent off.

For the record, I've no complaints about the sending off. And I think the ref was calling Rafael over to him anyway before the Germans stuck their oar in. It looked worse than what it was, the Bayern players complaining, I mean.

It's classic Fergie though. Trying to deflect the attention away from his own and the teams failings. Remember the barracking Beckham got after he got sent off in the 98 world cup? If Fergie was England manager he would never have allowed that to happen. He would have done something, or said something after the match to deflect from the sending off, and thus take the heat off Beckham.

Still, I know he's pragmatic, but I'd like to see Jose Mourinho installed at Old Trafford before finding a successor to Fergie becomes very difficult. Fergie can't go on forever.
Ideal replacement. The talk of David Moyes as a possible replacement by some press and pundits scares the hell out of me.

MickeyG

Post by MickeyG »

It should be all over at the top of the Prem now with Uniteds dismal result at Blackburn today.

Shitty City are defying my prediction that they would collapse towards the end of the season, and with Liverpool once again dropping points today City have a good chance of finishing 4th.
Hellsinkey

Post by Hellsinkey »

ManU was useless, looks like they don't even have confidence without Rooney. Chelsea ahead with one game less, even Arsenal has a chance of going past. Local game next weekend will be interesting.

Good for Portsmouth though, I hope they win the FA Cup.
SLASH1976
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by SLASH1976 »

Anybody see Real Madrid - Barcelona ?
not really good match playing wise but it was a delight seeing Xavi do does passes
0-2 on Madrid's turf is a great result. Still 2 early to tell if it's enough to win the Liga
SAVE THE EARTH IT'S THE ONLY PLANET WITH BEER

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy & paste him into your
(")_(") sig to help him gain world domination

pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Well Chelsea beat Bolton 1-0 to make the gap 4 points with the same amount of games played. Looks like my predicition of Chelsea winning the title is coming true. :x

pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

This the first time in living memory where I reckon City are really going to do us in.

Hellsinkey

Post by Hellsinkey »

Very possible, they have a lot to play for. Besides the last games have been very tight. The season is almost lost, it's hard to believe that Chelsea would fuck up two games in the end either.
Hellsinkey

Post by Hellsinkey »

Boring game with a narrow escape. Still it's up to Chelsea to lose the title, nothing can be really done anymore even if winning rest of the games.
Hellsinkey

Post by Hellsinkey »

And Chelsea slips! It's not over yet. :)
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Hellsinkey wrote:And Chelsea slips! It's not over yet. :)
I'm glad I was wrong. What a day of results.

MickeyG

Post by MickeyG »

Missed all the games as I was down in Connecticut for the weekend.

Anyways, I see Liverpool have given up for 4th by letting Torres have his knee op. And they play Chelsea soon. :x

Like that wasn't done on purpose.
MickeyG

Post by MickeyG »

Big win for Inter over Barca, this is why United must get Mourinho to take over from Ferguson. He brings success wherever he goes.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

MickeyG wrote:Big win for Inter over Barca, this is why United must get Mourinho to take over from Ferguson. He brings success wherever he goes.
I agree.

Whoever wins out of Inter and Barca will win the Champions League. So looking like Inter atm.

MickeyG

Post by MickeyG »

Decent win for United today, but I thought for a while they were gonna blow it.

Still not convinced of Berbatov, thought he was shite first half, then improved in the second. Nani didn't do much, but took his goal well. 2 good pens from Giggs, who otherwise was shite. Scholes was decent. Carrick was beaten in the air for the Spurs goal, and Rafael had a brain fart on the line. Those 2 were involved in the exit to Bayern a few weeks ago. Macheda looked decent when he came on. Hopefully, he will get more games next season.

Still expect Chelsea to win all their games though. I expect no fight from Liverpool. Rafa hates United more than anything.
MickeyG

Post by MickeyG »

So Jose makes the final at Barcas expense. Fuck, I'd love him to be Fergies successor. I was reading something last week where it said he should go to Madrid next year and win a league title, and then in a few years after Fergies successor fails (if Fergie leaves soon, that is), then take a rebuilding job at United. This would allow him to get his 3 titles in the 3 major leagues, get the Madrid job out of his system, and then give him something to do at United. The article was suggesting that continuing right after Fergie would be a no win situation as success would be expected and it wouldn't stroke his ego enough to not get the adulation.