NFL 2011 Thread

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

bane
Threesome with Pam and Donna

Re: NFL 2011 Thread

Post by bane »

SkyDog112046 wrote:Anyone see the Giants defenders faking injuries while the Rams were in a hurry up last night? They should have been nailed with an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for that. That's the 4th game in 2 weeks that I've seen that happen. I'd like to see the NFL crack down on the flopping. If a guy needs to be helped off the field that's one thing, but most of the time in a hurry-up it's just stalling. Start charging teams timeouts for it, and if it's as obvious as last night hit them with a penalty.
I don't think making refs into doctors is a good idea. What they should do is make an injured player sit out the rest of the series. You'll still have a few scrubs faking injury, but teams will think twice about it once they start running out of players. They could even up the ante by refusing substitutions for anyone but the injured player if they had to.
Crazy Levi
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Crazy Levi »

bane wrote:I don't think making refs into doctors is a good idea. What they should do is make an injured player sit out the rest of the series. You'll still have a few scrubs faking injury, but teams will think twice about it once they start running out of players. They could even up the ante by refusing substitutions for anyone but the injured player if they had to.
That's an excellent idea.

Some rule tweaks make sense, some don't.

I remember a year or so ago everybody wanted the whole "timeout before a FG attempt" thing outlawed.

My question was: why? Sure it was hot for a bit, but it's really completely pointless. You have just as much of a chance of it backfiring. And it HAS on several occasions. I remember the Saints losing a game last year because they did it (he MISSED on the timeout FG, and made the next one). Same thing has already happened this year, I think to the Bucs.

It's a stupid thing to do and a novelty that really makes absolutely no sense when you actually think about it. It's also impossible to outlaw - teams need to be able to call TO right up to the whistle, there's no way around it.
Ham Stroker's Ejacula
Transylvanian Wang

Post by Ham Stroker's Ejacula »

johnk5150

Post by johnk5150 »

*The Chicago Tribune busted out Fox Sports for fabricating newspaper headlines to advance a storyline about quarterback Jay Cutler. One of the alleged headlines read, “Cutler Lacks Courage.” One of the Fox announcers professed that that headline and two others had actually run in Chicago papers. The Tribune’s people pounced:

The whole production rang false to us. The headlines didn’t look real. The language used in them was off. And since we know that most Chicago media had defended Cutler, we looked into it.
He's like the Liberace of bass & pot.

$tevil
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

johnk5150 wrote:Image

*The Chicago Tribune busted out Fox Sports for fabricating newspaper headlines to advance a storyline about quarterback Jay Cutler. One of the alleged headlines read, “Cutler Lacks Courage.” One of the Fox announcers professed that that headline and two others had actually run in Chicago papers. The Tribune’s people pounced:

The whole production rang false to us. The headlines didn’t look real. The language used in them was off. And since we know that most Chicago media had defended Cutler, we looked into it.
Fox Sports has done this before and they will continue the practice
in the future.
Fuck 'em!
bane

Post by bane »

Crazy Levi wrote:
I remember a year or so ago everybody wanted the whole "timeout before a FG attempt" thing outlawed.

My question was: why? Sure it was hot for a bit, but it's really completely pointless. You have just as much of a chance of it backfiring. And it HAS on several occasions. I remember the Saints losing a game last year because they did it (he MISSED on the timeout FG, and made the next one). Same thing has already happened this year, I think to the Bucs.

It's a stupid thing to do and a novelty that really makes absolutely no sense when you actually think about it. It's also impossible to outlaw - teams need to be able to call TO right up to the whistle, there's no way around it.
I think the discussion around that one is a waste of time. Worse case, the game takes a bit longer. Other than that, why does anybody really care? It doesn't give anybody an unfair advantage, and, as you said, it backfires as often as it works.
WTF
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by WTF »

Dunta Robinson fined $40,000 for hit on Maclin.

http://leeinks.weei.com/sports/2011/09/ ... 00-for-hit
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

WTF wrote:Dunta Robinson fined $40,000 for hit on Maclin.

Take away his money.
Fool did something similar last season and he still has not learned
his lesson.
Maybe a broken neck will wake up this idiot.
DO NOT LEAD WITH THE CROWN OF YOUR HELMET!!!
WTF

Post by WTF »

Machado wrote:
WTF wrote:Dunta Robinson fined $40,000 for hit on Maclin.

Take away his money.
Fool did something similar last season and he still has not learned
his lesson.
Maybe a broken neck will wake up this idiot.
DO NOT LEAD WITH THE CROWN OF YOUR HELMET!!!
There's a huge gray area with some of these hits, like when a defender is coming in at a back or receiver and the back or receiver lowers their upper body, causing helmet to helmet contact, but this Dunta Robinson is just fucking stupid. Dude's arms were at his side. It was like he was trying to plank Maclin.
bane

Post by bane »

That was a dangerous hit, but it looked to me like he hit him with his shoulder pads.
WTF

Post by WTF »

bane

Post by bane »

I stand corrected.
SkyDog112046
Headlining Clubs

Post by SkyDog112046 »

That hit looked bad when it happened. You could see the helmet-to-helmet hit even before they went back to replays. The thing is that Robinson had plenty of time to drop his shoulder and put his arms out for a clean hit & tackle, and doing so may have popped the ball out because Maclin wasn't ready for the hit.

There are some guys who are known for this stuff and Robinson certainly has a history of it, but what is surprising is that the Falcons coaches are tolerating it. Merriweather got cut in New England partially because he refused to stop doing bonehead stuff like that. You would think most coaches wouldn't want to take the 15 yard penalty.
WTF

Post by WTF »

SkyDog112046 wrote: Merriweather got cut in New England partially because he refused to stop doing bonehead stuff like that.
HE didn't have the capacity to refuse to stop doing it. He is just THAT stupid. Thank god he is gone.
SkyDog112046
Headlining Clubs

Post by SkyDog112046 »

Favre in Indy?

Seems Colts fans are calling for Favre now that the reality of not having Manning for the season is sinking in. I don't think it would matter at this point because by the time he came in and learned the offense it would be too late. Collins hasn't even had a month yet to learn the system. Colins isn't very good by any means but he should be able to at least be a game manager if the rest of the team does it's job.

I can't see how bringing in an undisciplined gunslinger who hasn't taken a snap since January could possibly help a team with a precision offense. But it would certainly raise the entertainment value.
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

SkyDog112046 wrote:Favre in Indy?

Seems Colts fans are calling for Favre now that the reality of not having Manning for the season is sinking in. I don't think it would matter at this point because by the time he came in and learned the offense it would be too late. Collins hasn't even had a month yet to learn the system. Colins isn't very good by any means but he should be able to at least be a game manager if the rest of the team does it's job.

I can't see how bringing in an undisciplined gunslinger who hasn't taken a snap since January could possibly help a team with a precision offense. But it would certainly raise the entertainment value.
The season is lost.
Where is Jeff Garcia to rescue this team?
bane

Post by bane »

SkyDog112046 wrote:Favre in Indy?

Collins isn't the biggest problem in Indy. The way that team is built is. Nobody but Manning will win with that squad and scheme the way it's currently constructed. Favre would lose just as much as Collins will.
Last edited by bane on Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crazy Levi

Post by Crazy Levi »

It was really nice of P13's dad to take him to the Browns game.

SkyDog112046
Headlining Clubs

Post by SkyDog112046 »

Crazy Levi wrote:It was really nice of P13's dad to take him to the Browns game.

That's not P13. His head would be in someone else's lap.
:lol:
Tenacious_Dio
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Tenacious_Dio »

Crazy Levi wrote: Image
:shock:

An Adam Vinatieri jersey? Someone needs to have his man card revoked.
Crazy Levi

Post by Crazy Levi »

Tenacious_Dio wrote:
Crazy Levi wrote: Image
:shock:

An Adam Vinatieri jersey? Someone needs to have his man card revoked.
Clearly faggotry runs in the P13 bloodline.

I bet their corvettes are pink.
SkyDog112046
Headlining Clubs

Post by SkyDog112046 »

There is a theory out there now that the shortened training camps have effected defensive backs more than any other position so far. The lack of preparation has D-backs confused as to their assignments and they are having trouble adjusting when he QB audibles.

The amount of offense we've seen across the board in the first 2 weeks would certainly confirm that. Right now there are 6 or 8 QBs on pace to break 5000 yards and a few of them on pace for over 6000. A 5000 yard passer is something we've only seen once every 20 years since the merger. I think things will settle down in a few weeks once defenses catch up.
johnk5150

Post by johnk5150 »

I just realized the Bears have an opportunity to lose 4 games to the Packers this year as they've already lost to them twice in 2011.
He's like the Liberace of bass & pot.

$tevil
SkyDog112046
Headlining Clubs

Post by SkyDog112046 »

I saw this coming. Teams haven't been very subtle about faking injuries and the league is going to crack down on it.

NFL memo warns teams on faking injuries

By BARRY WILNER, AP Pro Football Writer

NEW YORK (AP)—The NFL sent a memo Wednesday to all 32 teams warning of fines, suspensions and loss of draft picks if the league determines players faked injuries during a game.

In the memo obtained by The Associated Press, the NFL reminded teams of league policy that calls on coaches to discourage the practice, and that there was no specific rule on the topic.

However, two days after there was speculation the Giants’ Deon Grant(notes) faked an injury against the Rams during Monday night’s game, the NFL is warning of disciplinary action.

Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo said Tuesday the team notified the league office that it suspected the Giants were feigning injuries in St. Louis’ 28-16 loss. Rams quarterback Sam Bradford(notes) said it was obvious the Giants were just buying time with St. Louis running a no-huddle offense.

“They couldn’t get subbed, they couldn’t line up,” Bradford said. “Someone said, ‘Someone go down, someone go down,’ so someone just went down and grabbed a cramp.”

Grant was adamant about not having faked anything.

“I could see if I was walking and fell,” he said Wednesday, speaking passionately and barely taking a breath. “When you see after I made that tackle and bang my knee on that play, you see me bending my knee as I am walking. … (Teammate Justin) Tuck is walking behind me and saying ‘D don’t run off the field. Just go down.’ As I am walking, they line up, and knowing that I can’t get back in my position because of the knee injury, I went down.”

Had Grant attempted to get off the field, it could have left the Giants a defender short when the ball was snapped. Of course, New York also could have called a timeout, a course of action teams might need to use in the future.

The memo from the league said:

“Going forward, be advised that should the league office determine that there is reasonable cause, all those suspected of being involved in faking injuries will be summoned promptly to this office … to discuss the matter. Those found to be violators will be subject to appropriate disciplinary action for conduct detrimental to the game.”

The league’s competition committee often has discussed this issue but has been reluctant to propose a rule that could force game officials to make judgments on injuries.

“We have been fortunate that teams and players have consistently complied with the spirit of the rule over the years and this has not been an issue for the NFL,” the memo said. “We are determined to take all necessary steps to ensure that it does not become an issue.”

For the most part, such delay tactics have been considered gamesmanship.

“As an offensive player, you always think guys are faking in that situation,” Eagles guard Kyle DeVan(notes) said. “But you don’t know for sure. You don’t know when guys are going to cramp up, so you have to be careful. The most important thing is players’ health. You would hope guys don’t do it, but it’s going to happen.”

And the NFL’s disciplinarians will be watching.
bane

Post by bane »

Teams would only be penalized if it can be proven that the injury was faked, and that will only happen if a player is dumb enough to talk about it publicly. it's not much more than saber rattling for media benefit, and a little reminder to coaches to make sure their players aren't quite so obvious about it.
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

I hope they are watching.
Stop faking injuries.

By doing that, it tells me the NY Giants defense was unable
to stop the rams offense.

So that team resorting to "cheating", "faking injuries" to slow down the opponent.

LAME!!
SkyDog112046
Headlining Clubs

Post by SkyDog112046 »

bane wrote:Teams would only be penalized if it can be proven that the injury was faked, and that will only happen if a player is dumb enough to talk about it publicly. it's not much more than saber rattling for media benefit, and a little reminder to coaches to make sure their players aren't quite so obvious about it.
You can see when injuries are real and when they are obviously faked, and it only applies when an opponent is in the hurry-up. I saw Miami players legitimately cramping up and falling over against the Patriots, but then I saw Chargers players faking it against NE and Giants players faking it against the Rams. Defenders don't get hurt in 2 out of every 3 plays on a drive, especially without contact. It's pretty unusual.
bane

Post by bane »

SkyDog112046 wrote:
bane wrote:Teams would only be penalized if it can be proven that the injury was faked, and that will only happen if a player is dumb enough to talk about it publicly. it's not much more than saber rattling for media benefit, and a little reminder to coaches to make sure their players aren't quite so obvious about it.
You can see when injuries are real and when they are obviously faked, and it only applies when an opponent is in the hurry-up. I saw Miami players legitimately cramping up and falling over against the Patriots, but then I saw Chargers players faking it against NE and Giants players faking it against the Rams. Defenders don't get hurt in 2 out of every 3 plays on a drive, especially without contact. It's pretty unusual.
No you can't. How can you tell if a cramp is real from watching the guy? All this memo is saying is, "make sure your guys limp a little on their way to the sideline, and at least pretend that you've done something to stretch it out."
WTF

Post by WTF »

It seems like there's only one solution for this (short of accusing someone of faking an injury). The only player that can be subbed for is the "injured" player. Sure the defense will be able to get a brief rest, but they won't be able to put a whole new package of players in.
bane

Post by bane »

WTF wrote:It seems like there's only one solution for this (short of accusing someone of faking an injury). The only player that can be subbed for is the "injured" player. Sure the defense will be able to get a brief rest, but they won't be able to put a whole new package of players in.
Yep. Make the injured guy sit the rest of the series too. If he's really hurt, chances are he'll need more than one play to recover anyway.