Killeverything's (New)NeverEndingBaseballThread

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

tin00can
Headlining Clubs

Re: Killeverything's (New)NeverEndingBaseballThread

Post by tin00can »

Dan fucking Haren. Love the guy. That's all.
killeverything
A Drinking Fan With A Baseball Problem

Post by killeverything »

tin00can wrote:Dan fucking Haren. Love the guy. That's all.
I've been freaking watching Dustin Ackley's call-up. Holy shit that kid is gonna be good, got all the tools, etc.
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

Does anybody care to guess when Jeter will
get his 3,000th hit?

Today is Wed July 7. Just read that Jeter will be batting lead-off today in
Cleveland.

My guess is Jeter will get 3,000
this coming Saturday vs the rays.

Read last night that HBO is producing a documentary on his chase
for 3,000.
tin00can
Headlining Clubs

Post by tin00can »

Machado wrote:Does anybody care to guess when Jeter will
get his 3,000th hit?

Today is Wed July 7. Just read that Jeter will be batting lead-off today in
Cleveland.

My guess is Jeter will get 3,000
this coming Saturday vs the rays.

Read last night that HBO is producing a documentary on his chase
for 3,000.

I have nothing against Jeter and think he's a good guy, and 3K hits is a helluva accomplishment. However...yeah. Just don't really care that much and yes, it's because he's a Yankee.
tin00can
Headlining Clubs

Post by tin00can »

Peter Bourjos goes on the 15-day DL with a strained hammy, right when he was just starting to hit again. Called up to replace him is superstud prospect Mike Trout, who has been tearing it up in AA at 19. If I didn't have plans for the weekend I'd be going to a few games.
killeverything

Post by killeverything »

tin00can wrote:Peter Bourjos goes on the 15-day DL with a strained hammy, right when he was just starting to hit again. Called up to replace him is superstud prospect Mike Trout, who has been tearing it up in AA at 19. If I didn't have plans for the weekend I'd be going to a few games.
Is he playing tonight? Seattle called up 2B/3B Kyle Seager who had a .455/.500/.673 line in AAA last night. I thought it was interesting because this is his first year in AAA, and he's progressed through the minors pretty quickly, not 19 years old quickly, but quickly none the less.

Plus that means FIggins who has been a 9M per year nightmare for Seattle will remain on the bench. At this point I think they'll just DFA him. He's not gonna improve, at least not in Seattle. Remember Beltre?

I dig watching new prospects come up. Maybe I'll tune in tonite. FYI Seager went 0-4 yesterday against Weaver. Welcome to the big leagues kid, your facing one of the best pitchers in the AL.
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

Surprised nobody here has yet to comment on the
tragedy at Arlington Stadium last night in the top of the 2nd inning.

A fan died as a result of trying to catch a baseball that was tossed in his direction by Josh Hamilton.

I don't know if ESPN aired the video of the fan falling, but I did see footage late last night on the local news.

ESPN carried on with this story to discuss how concerned Rangers fans and the team should be with Hamilton.
Hamilton tossed the ball towards that man, so I guess he is responsible for the tragedy??
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Machado wrote:Surprised nobody here has yet to comment on the
tragedy at Arlington Stadium last night in the top of the 2nd inning.

A fan died as a result of trying to catch a baseball that was tossed in his direction by Josh Hamilton.

I don't know if ESPN aired the video of the fan falling, but I did see footage late last night on the local news.

ESPN carried on with this story to discuss how concerned Rangers fans and the team should be with Hamilton.
Hamilton tossed the ball towards that man, so I guess he is responsible for the tragedy??
I heard about it this morning and it's consumed my thoughts all day. He was 39, same as me, and was at the game with his 6-year old son - same age as my son. The boy had nobody but strangers to care for him after his dad fell and was taken to hospital. God bless the poor little guy.

There's nothing more pure than taking your kid to the game and trying to get a ball for him. The man was a firefighter, seemingly a great father, husband, and son; Hamilton was being a good guy too. It sucks all the way around.

RIP, and I also hope Hamilton won't be derailed by this.
tin00can
Headlining Clubs

Post by tin00can »

killeverything wrote:
tin00can wrote:Peter Bourjos goes on the 15-day DL with a strained hammy, right when he was just starting to hit again. Called up to replace him is superstud prospect Mike Trout, who has been tearing it up in AA at 19. If I didn't have plans for the weekend I'd be going to a few games.
Is he playing tonight? Seattle called up 2B/3B Kyle Seager who had a .455/.500/.673 line in AAA last night. I thought it was interesting because this is his first year in AAA, and he's progressed through the minors pretty quickly, not 19 years old quickly, but quickly none the less.

Plus that means FIggins who has been a 9M per year nightmare for Seattle will remain on the bench. At this point I think they'll just DFA him. He's not gonna improve, at least not in Seattle. Remember Beltre?

I dig watching new prospects come up. Maybe I'll tune in tonite. FYI Seager went 0-4 yesterday against Weaver. Welcome to the big leagues kid, your facing one of the best pitchers in the AL.

He's probably gonna start the rest of the time until the ASB. After that, if Bourjos is better then he'll (Bourjos) start again. I was mistaken, he didn't go on the DL.
tin00can
Headlining Clubs

Post by tin00can »

Erick Aybar is having another solid year at SS for the Angels. Nothing worthy of getting him for your fantasy team but still good and fun to watch. He makes some incredible plays and his baserunning has improved dramatically this year (17/19 in stolen bases). And, for those who have never seen it before, the Aybar dance gif:

killeverything

Post by killeverything »

ARod's about to hit the DL.

NEW YORK -- Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez will seek a second opinion after an MRI revealed that he has a slight meniscus tear in his right knee.

Rodriguez will fly down to Miami to meet with Dr. Lee Kaplan on Sunday afternoon.

If the 35-year-old opts to undergo surgery, he would miss approximately one month.

With Jeter hitthing his 3,000th somehow I think no one will care. :lol:
SkyDog112046
Headlining Clubs

Post by SkyDog112046 »

All this talk about Jeter being among the all-time NY greats is ridiculous. He doesn't belong in the conversation with Ruth, Mantle, DiMaggio, or Gehrig. And I don't think he belongs in the conversation with Berra either.

Ruth was probably the best player ever with his HR dominance and pitching numbers. Mantle and DiMaggio were among the top 2 or 3 players of their eras. Gehrig's post season numbers were off the chart. Berra put up better numbers while playing the hardest position on the field. I'm going to go ahead and say that Mariano Rivera belongs ahead of Jeter too. So do Whitey Ford and Ron Guidry. And although his time with the team was short Reggie Jackson was a better player too - that SOB could turn a game around with one swing of the bat.

I've watched a lot of NY baseball being a Sox fan and while I think Jeter is a very good player he is also very much overrated. Even in his prime he had limited range at SS and should be considered solid but not spectacular. Those gold gloves are a joke. He was never the best player in the game for any time, and for most years not in the top 5. Most of his reputation is based on his club house presence and the fact that he is a decent guy who also plays in a huge media market.

Jeter is a very good player and a sure-fire HOF'er, but none of those things should put him in the conversation with Ruth, Mantle, DiMaggio, Gehrig, or Berra and by extension players like Mays & Williams who should be the players most mentioned with the other greats. You want to call Jeter the 10th best Yankee - then fine. But top 5 or even more ridiculous top 2 or 3? No way.

What do the rest of you say?
TawnyVonJagger
Fuck The Yankees

Post by TawnyVonJagger »

Holy hello, the Marlins have a winning streak! 4 straight. Went to the games Thurs and Saturday, nice to see them winning games again. Hanley's bat is finally waking up too. Nolasco pitched his 2nd CG last night. Good stuff.

Checked out the new ballpark yesterday, it's over 70% done and is looking amazing. :D

Saw a fan at the game last night holding a sign: Our Hearts Go Out To The Stone Family.

RIP Shannon Stone. :(
Fuck sigs.
killeverything

Post by killeverything »

SkyDog112046 wrote:All this talk about Jeter being among the all-time NY greats is ridiculous. He doesn't belong in the conversation with Ruth, Mantle, DiMaggio, or Gehrig. And I don't think he belongs in the conversation with Berra either.

Ruth was probably the best player ever with his HR dominance and pitching numbers. Mantle and DiMaggio were among the top 2 or 3 players of their eras. Gehrig's post season numbers were off the chart. Berra put up better numbers while playing the hardest position on the field. I'm going to go ahead and say that Mariano Rivera belongs ahead of Jeter too. So do Whitey Ford and Ron Guidry. And although his time with the team was short Reggie Jackson was a better player too - that SOB could turn a game around with one swing of the bat.

I've watched a lot of NY baseball being a Sox fan and while I think Jeter is a very good player he is also very much overrated. Even in his prime he had limited range at SS and should be considered solid but not spectacular. Those gold gloves are a joke. He was never the best player in the game for any time, and for most years not in the top 5. Most of his reputation is based on his club house presence and the fact that he is a decent guy who also plays in a huge media market.

Jeter is a very good player and a sure-fire HOF'er, but none of those things should put him in the conversation with Ruth, Mantle, DiMaggio, Gehrig, or Berra and by extension players like Mays & Williams who should be the players most mentioned with the other greats. You want to call Jeter the 10th best Yankee - then fine. But top 5 or even more ridiculous top 2 or 3? No way.

What do the rest of you say?
Nope, but that much is obvious. Even Yankee fans who actually know baseball don't put him with those guys. A great player and a media darling, so he's put with the elite.

Still the guy is a class act and I can't say anything bad about him.
tin00can
Headlining Clubs

Post by tin00can »

killeverything wrote:
Still the guy is a class act and I can't say anything bad about him.

He's helped his career and personal standing immensely by being a good, non-controversial guy. Other players should take notes.
killeverything

Post by killeverything »

Arod's having knee surgery. Out 4-6 weeks.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/ ... id=6754883

Hey Tin, what did you think of the Mariners @ Anaheim matchup toda...aside from the win? King Felix vs. Haren 7 and 8Ks, damn I woulda loved to been there for that one.
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

killeverything wrote:Arod's having knee surgery. Out 4-6 weeks.

Another sign that the players we followed when we were younger are
getting old.
Not too much time will pass before another 35+ year old future HOF will
sustain an injury.
ARod has now been on the DL 4 times since the beginning of 2008.
95 games misses in that time.

4-6 weeks is not cool.
A. Jones had a similar injury and said he came back too soon.
C. Jones has a similar injury and will go under-the-knife soon.
johnk5150
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by johnk5150 »

Cano is hitting eighth tonight. Nice 8 hole hitter.
He's like the Liberace of bass & pot.

$tevil
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

Jeter is getting criticized by the media for not
attending the all-star game.
Who does the media think they are? Suddenly the media has found their work ethic? I don't think so. Further proof how lazy the media is. Instead of focuing on who is not there, why not "grill" Bud Selig for about 120 minutes about the state of the game?

Jeter is coming off an injury as well as getting hit #3,000. If there was no injury, odds are Jeter would be at the game.
SkyDog112046
Headlining Clubs

Post by SkyDog112046 »

Machado wrote:
killeverything wrote:Arod's having knee surgery. Out 4-6 weeks.

Another sign that the players we followed when we were younger took steroids and destroyed their joints.
Not too much time will pass before another 35+ year old with artificially inflated numbers who should be banned from the game never mind the HOF will sustain an injury.
ARod has now been on the DL 4 times since the beginning of 2008.
95 games misses in that time.
More proof that he was a serious steroid user.
Hard to argue with that.
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

Mets traded KRod to Brewers
TawnyVonJagger
Fuck The Yankees

Post by TawnyVonJagger »

John, are you going to any of the Marlins games this weekend?
Fuck sigs.
johnk5150

Post by johnk5150 »

TawnyVonJagger wrote:John, are you going to any of the Marlins games this weekend?
Tomorrow only. I have the kids all by myself tonight and I'm leaving for Indianapolis on Saturday. Watching those faggots play baseball is pure torture. Their best player made an error and ran the NL out of the inning Tuesday. And he's their BEST PLAYER.

I bet Nolasco no-hits them tomorrow.

$tevil
TawnyVonJagger
Fuck The Yankees

Post by TawnyVonJagger »

Well, that was an interesting 9th inning...
Fuck sigs.
johnk5150

Post by johnk5150 »

That in a nutshell is your 2011 Chicago Cubs.

$tevil
tin00can
Headlining Clubs

Post by tin00can »

johnk5150 wrote:That in a nutshell is your Chicago Cubs.

Fixed.
johnk5150

Post by johnk5150 »

tin00can wrote:
johnk5150 wrote:That in a nutshell is your Chicago Cubs.

Fixed.
They were worse when I was a kid. The problem with this particular bunch of douchebags is they're paid as if they aren't shitty.

I'm used to shitty. I only have a problem with shitty when they shouldn't be.

$tevil
SkyDog112046
Headlining Clubs

Post by SkyDog112046 »

Ellsbury's stats: .317 BA, 13 HR, 26 2B, 2 3B, 51 RBI, 28 SB, .377 OBP
1.000 FPCT on 232 TC

It's a very short sample, but those project out as a Rickey Henderson type season(.300 BA, 18-20 HR, 50-60 SB). I'm not suggesting Ellsbury is the second coming of Henderson - far from it. But the fact is that Ellsbury has turned into a very good player at this point.

So Kill - can you live with Ellsbury if this is what he is going to be?
killeverything

Post by killeverything »

SkyDog112046 wrote:Ellsbury's stats: .317 BA, 13 HR, 26 2B, 2 3B, 51 RBI, 28 SB, .377 OBP
1.000 FPCT on 232 TC

It's a very short sample, but those project out as a Rickey Henderson type season(.300 BA, 18-20 HR, 50-60 SB). I'm not suggesting Ellsbury is the second coming of Henderson - far from it. But the fact is that Ellsbury has turned into a very good player at this point.

So Kill - can you live with Ellsbury if this is what he is going to be?
I never had a problem with him offensively. The dude can hit. Where my issue is is defense. I'll look into his UZR later.

Oh yeah, I can totally live with that. One of the few times I enjoyed being wrong.
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

what is up with the rays?
i could hardly recognize their team/roster last night
during the Yankees game.

i guess the 16 inning game vs the chowder-heads did not
do their bullpen any good.

lightning struck the Trop last night during the game. a bank of lights went out. game was delayed for almost 20 minutes.
that must have been scary!

great win by the Yankees last night.
come from behind win, on the road is not easy to do. of course Yankees were almost given the win because of the rookie rays hurler who could not throw a strike to save the game.