The official NHL thread

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

pieceofme
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Re: The official NHL thread

Post by pieceofme »

WOLF wrote:
chungasrevenge wrote:B's lineup is taking shape after development camp:

Lucic/Krecji/Eriksson(Pastrnak)
Marchand/Bergeron/Smith
Fraser/Soderberg/Pastrnak(Eriksson)
Paille/Campbell/Kelly (Spooner)

Chara/Hamilton
Seidenberg/Boychuk
Krug/McQuaid(Miller)
Bartkowski

Rask
Svedberg/Subban
Does that roster work from a cost perspective? Heard they may need to move a D-man (Boychuk or McQuaid), and that they may not want Bartkowski back.

Also, Subban needs to play 60-65 games in Providence.

The roster doesn't seem as scary to me. Feels like they have a 2nd liner on the 1st; a 3rd liner on the 2nd, etc., etc.

It will be another fun season. Habs/B's in the division final again, unless Bolts have something to say.
Not with the RFAs they have to sign, and yeah they probably have to move someone like Boychuk or McQuaid.
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

pieceofme wrote:
Kid-Wicked wrote:just rubbing it in. lol.

hey, there's guys that don't want to play here either.

blows me away that iginla didn't want to play with the twins. would have been an easy 40 goal season for him.
Because Vancouver are a team on the down, and Colorado are a team on the up.
yeah but where does he fit in with the avs? he doesn't.
i think the canucks will have a pretty decent comeback this year.
UtahRatt
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by UtahRatt »

NY Rangers - lose Brian Boyle, Benoit Pouliot, Brad Richards and Anton Stralman. From the Cup to empty house.

Tampa - Ryan Callahan signed a 6-year contract extension worth an annual average value of $5.8M to stay with the Lightning.

Tampa - Rangers Defenseman Anton Stralman and Rangers center Brian Boyle confirmed in separate interviews that Callahan, their former captain with the New York Rangers, influenced their decisions to sign with the Lightning shortly after the free-agent signing period got under way last Tuesday.

The NY Lightning: Callahan, Brian Boyle and Anton Stralman along with Brenden Morrow and back up Evgeni Nabokov Goalie

Tampa's made their moves. Should anyone in the Atlantic concerned?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Oilers - Benoit Pouliot

Chicago - Brad Richards
poizond13 wrote:I have been very bummed out, sad and shocked for most of the night
Artemis2085 wrote:so I blurt out "I love you Paul!
Atomicpunk18 wrote:You see Black Crowes music has gotten me laid multiple times.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Kid-Wicked wrote:
pieceofme wrote:
Kid-Wicked wrote:just rubbing it in. lol.

hey, there's guys that don't want to play here either.

blows me away that iginla didn't want to play with the twins. would have been an easy 40 goal season for him.
Because Vancouver are a team on the down, and Colorado are a team on the up.
yeah but where does he fit in with the avs? he doesn't.
i think the canucks will have a pretty decent comeback this year.
I think the Canucks will be slightly better, but still miss out on the playoffs. In no mans land this season.

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
chungasrevenge
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by chungasrevenge »

WOLF wrote:
chungasrevenge wrote:B's lineup is taking shape after development camp:

Lucic/Krecji/Eriksson(Pastrnak)
Marchand/Bergeron/Smith
Fraser/Soderberg/Pastrnak(Eriksson)
Paille/Campbell/Kelly (Spooner)

Chara/Hamilton
Seidenberg/Boychuk
Krug/McQuaid(Miller)
Bartkowski

Rask
Svedberg/Subban
Does that roster work from a cost perspective? Heard they may need to move a D-man (Boychuk or McQuaid), and that they may not want Bartkowski back.

Also, Subban needs to play 60-65 games in Providence.

The roster doesn't seem as scary to me. Feels like they have a 2nd liner on the 1st; a 3rd liner on the 2nd, etc., etc.

It will be another fun season. Habs/B's in the division final again, unless Bolts have something to say.
Some major holes are going to be filled from Providence this season. They could do a rental, but should have enough to get into playoff position and make a push at the deadline. It's a bit concerning when an 18 year old who showed up for camp with only his skates is already being pencilled in for a starter position after 5 days of development practice.

They're $1.5 under right now without Savard's $4 or so million I believe. Chiarelli does need to move a Dman, and Bartkowski for an upper pick is probably just a matter of time. Next up would be McQuaid, but the injury concerns are keeping him on board. Boychuk is a free agent next year and the B's won't be able to afford him, but I think Chia will ride him out through the year. The Islanders are supposedly pushing for Boychuk, so that's a possibility. I hate to see him go.

Tampa Bay might take the division.
Facedown

Post by Facedown »

Bartkowski signs for 1yr/1.25m.
bonedog wrote:I let Facedown get the better of me
bonedog wrote:My first kid will be born when I am 47.
bonedog wrote:I suck at sludging.
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

Kid Wicked can't understand why Iginla wouldn't sign with Vancouver?

He wants to win a cup, and you're team is a couple of average defenseman better than the Isles. :lol:

You're fucking delusional.
chungasrevenge

Post by chungasrevenge »

Facedown wrote:Bartkowski signs for 1yr/1.25m.
I'll be surprised if he's on the roster at camp. That money is more than likely going towards Krug/Smith along with Savard's space. Should be enough to get them both in bridge deals in the $2.5 range.

David Pastrnak fever grips New England. Even the front office and media are falling over themselves. I still don't believe it out of development camp and he's only 173 pounds.
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

NeverSurrender wrote:Kid Wicked can't understand why Iginla wouldn't sign with Vancouver?

He wants to win a cup, and you're team is a couple of average defenseman better than the Isles. :lol:

You're fucking delusional.
he's not winning one in colorado either. he doesn't fit anywhere on that team. there were three teams trying to get him. he picked the one that offered the longest term.
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

Colorado is an up and coming team who had a great season last year....

And the Canucks are not and did not.....
alecjonsludge
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by alecjonsludge »

^^^^ Iginla's experience and demeanor would've been very helpful in the Av's playoff series against the Wild,especially in game 7. The Av's don't need him to score the 30 goals he got with Boston this past year,they've got all kinds of guys to do that.His leadership,mentoring,knowledge and determination however will be greatly appreciated. He'll probably be in the 20 goals/50 points range but be on a contending team that will/should be in the thick of the playoff hunt. I'd take that over the potential 35 goals/75 points range that the Double Mint twins may(operative word) give him while missing out on the playoffs.
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

alecjonsludge wrote:^^^^ Iginla's experience and demeanor would've been very helpful in the Av's playoff series against the Wild,especially in game 7. The Av's don't need him to score the 30 goals he got with Boston this past year,they've got all kinds of guys to do that.His leadership,mentoring,knowledge and determination however will be greatly appreciated. He'll probably be in the 20 goals/50 points range but be on a contending team that will/should be in the thick of the playoff hunt. I'd take that over the potential 35 goals/75 points range that the Double Mint twins may(operative word) give him while missing out on the playoffs.

the canucks will be in the playoffs this year. probably crash and burn in the first round but they'll be there.
in the last 5 years colorado finished 2nd, 4th, 3rd, 5th and first in their div missing the playoffs 3 of the last 4 years.
the canucks finished first in their div 4 of the last 5 years only missing the playoffs last year under torts.
the aves aren't winning the cup any sooner then vancouver is.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Kid-Wicked wrote:
alecjonsludge wrote:^^^^ Iginla's experience and demeanor would've been very helpful in the Av's playoff series against the Wild,especially in game 7. The Av's don't need him to score the 30 goals he got with Boston this past year,they've got all kinds of guys to do that.His leadership,mentoring,knowledge and determination however will be greatly appreciated. He'll probably be in the 20 goals/50 points range but be on a contending team that will/should be in the thick of the playoff hunt. I'd take that over the potential 35 goals/75 points range that the Double Mint twins may(operative word) give him while missing out on the playoffs.

the canucks will be in the playoffs this year. probably crash and burn in the first round but they'll be there.
in the last 5 years colorado finished 2nd, 4th, 3rd, 5th and first in their div missing the playoffs 3 of the last 4 years.
the canucks finished first in their div 4 of the last 5 years only missing the playoffs last year under torts.
I dunno man, the west is pretty strong. I like the addition of Miller, and the return they got for Kessler, but I still don't see enough depth in Van city. In the East they are a playoff team. In the West, who of these teams are they knocking off: Chicago, St-Louis, Minnesota, Colorado, Dallas, LA, Anaheim, San Jose?

Those are my 8 playoff teams in the west. For sure injuries happen, and people have off years, but I don't see Vancouver displacing any of those squads.

That is why I think Vancouver should rebuild. Finishing 9th/10th in the conference every year, or going out in the 1st round even, is the worst thing you can do. Bad enough to miss the playoffs, but not bad enough to get a high draft pick. Take a look at the Leafs: they made bad trades, and dumb signings, so they would be good enough to tease their fans and finish 9th every year. Where did it get them.

IMO Habs will be only Canadian team to make playoffs again this year.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

WOLF wrote:
Kid-Wicked wrote:

I dunno man, the west is pretty strong. I like the addition of Miller, and the return they got for Kessler, but I still don't see enough depth in Van city. In the East they are a playoff team. In the West, who of these teams are they knocking off: Chicago, St-Louis, Minnesota, Colorado, Dallas, LA, Anaheim, San Jose?

Those are my 8 playoff teams in the west. For sure injuries happen, and people have off years, but I don't see Vancouver displacing any of those squads.

That is why I think Vancouver should rebuild. Finishing 9th/10th in the conference every year, or going out in the 1st round even, is the worst thing you can do. Bad enough to miss the playoffs, but not bad enough to get a high draft pick. Take a look at the Leafs: they made bad trades, and dumb signings, so they would be good enough to tease their fans and finish 9th every year. Where did it get them.

IMO Habs will be only Canadian team to make playoffs again this year.
I concur with everything including the 8 playoff teams.

Facedown

Post by Facedown »

chungasrevenge wrote:
Facedown wrote:Bartkowski signs for 1yr/1.25m.
I'll be surprised if he's on the roster at camp. That money is more than likely going towards Krug/Smith along with Savard's space. Should be enough to get them both in bridge deals in the $2.5 range.

David Pastrnak fever grips New England. Even the front office and media are falling over themselves. I still don't believe it out of development camp and he's only 173 pounds.
They re-signed Caron, too.
They're all in.
:lol:
bonedog wrote:I let Facedown get the better of me
bonedog wrote:My first kid will be born when I am 47.
bonedog wrote:I suck at sludging.
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

kid-wicked is delusional and is going to be a very bummed out hockey fan this season.
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

NeverSurrender wrote:kid-wicked is delusional and is going to be a very bummed out hockey fan this season.
nice gif. fuck.
i'm a realist. i know the canucks aren't going to be great but they will be better unless the new coach sucks. look at the numbers.
who will the canucks beat out for a playoff spot? wild, avs or the sharks.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Kid-Wicked wrote:
NeverSurrender wrote:kid-wicked is delusional and is going to be a very bummed out hockey fan this season.
nice gif. fuck.
i'm a realist. i know the canucks aren't going to be great but they will be better unless the new coach sucks. look at the numbers.
Neither of those three teams.

Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

pieceofme wrote:
Kid-Wicked wrote:
nice gif. fuck.
Neither of those three teams.
i forgot aboot dallas. add them in there. the wild card spots will be a race between 6 or 7 teams.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Kid-Wicked wrote: i forgot aboot dallas. add them in there. the wild card spots will be a race between 6 or 7 teams.
Which Vancouver will loes imo.

Central predictions:

1. Chicago
2. St Louis
3. Minnesota
4. Dallas
5. Colorado
6. Nashville
7. Winnipeg

Pacific predictions:

1. Anaheim
2. San Jose
3. LA
4. Vancouver
5. Arizona
6. Calgary
7. Edmonton

Top 5 from central make it. Dallas and Colorado its pretty close and could easily swap.

The California teams from Pacific make it. Vancouver and Arizona could also easily be swapped.
Last edited by pieceofme on Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

And Atlantic division predictions:

1. Boston
2. Tampa
3. Montreal
4. Detroit
5. Florida
6. Toronto
7. Ottawa
8. Buffalo

Yeah I'm a little high on Florida, but I have to have some hope for my team after the summer spending! They will still miss the playoffs as only the top 4 will make it.

I don't know how to predict the Metro. Talk about a wide open division.

WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

pieceofme wrote:And Atlantic division predictions:

1. Boston
2. Tampa
3. Montreal
4. Detroit
5. Florida
6. Toronto
7. Ottawa
8. Buffalo

Yeah I'm a little high on Florida, but I have to have some hope for my team after the summer spending! They will still miss the playoffs as only the top 4 will make it.

I don't know how to predict the Metro. Talk about a wide open division.
Kind of early for predictions, as a lot can still happen via trade and late free agent signings (and injuries), but what the hell... all of those pool magazines need to make their prediction now, as they are set to go to print.

EAST

Atlantic: Tampa, Montreal, Boston, Detroit, Florida, Toronto, Buffalo, Ottawa

Metropolitan: NY Rangers, Pittsburgh, Columbus, Washington, Philadelphia, New Jersey, Carolina, NY Islanders

* Washington, Philly as wildcards, but it will be a dogfight for spots.

WEST:

Central: Minnesota, Chicago, St-Louis, Dallas, Colorado, Nashville, Winnipeg

Pacific: Anaheim, LA, San Jose, Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Arizona

* Dallas, Colorado as wildcards and I think there's decent separation between the top 8 and everyone else.
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

If the Isles could add 2 average nhl-men they have a shot at the playoffs.... but they won't.
jizzyjizim
Headlining Clubs

Post by jizzyjizim »

pieceofme wrote:
Kid-Wicked wrote: i forgot aboot dallas. add them in there. the wild card spots will be a race between 6 or 7 teams.

Central predictions:

1. Chicago
2. St Louis
3. Minnesota
4. Dallas
5. Colorado
6. Nashville
7. Winnipeg

Pacific predictions:

1. Anaheim
2. San Jose
3. LA
4. Vancouver
5. Arizona
6. Calgary
7. Edmonton

Top 5 from central make it. Dallas and Colorado its pretty close and could easily swap.

The California teams from Pacific make it. Vancouver and Arizona could also easily be swapped.
:( I really hope not... we have better goaltending this year, bigger up front with the additions of Purcell and Pouliot...plus we added Fayne and Nikitin on the back end, I'm not at all saying those additions are blockbuster by any means but areas where they needed fixing ( goaltending/size/Dmen) have been addressed, they still need to address the 2C spot...Nurse is gonna be a stud on D when he makes this team as well as Draisaitl who will be the futuer 2C for this team..
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

jizzyjizim wrote:
pieceofme wrote:

Central predictions:

1. Chicago
2. St Louis
3. Minnesota
4. Dallas
5. Colorado
6. Nashville
7. Winnipeg

Pacific predictions:

1. Anaheim
2. San Jose
3. LA
4. Vancouver
5. Arizona
6. Calgary
7. Edmonton

:( I really hope not... we have better goaltending this year, bigger up front with the additions of Purcell and Pouliot...plus we added Fayne and Nikitin on the back end, I'm not at all saying those additions are blockbuster by any means but areas where they needed fixing ( goaltending/size/Dmen) have been addressed, they still need to address the 2C spot...Nurse is gonna be a stud on D when he makes this team as well as Draisaitl who will be the futuer 2C for this team..
I wanted to put you guys ahead of Calgary, but the Oilers always disappoint.

jizzyjizim
Headlining Clubs

Post by jizzyjizim »

hard to argue with that..they do disappoint..I think the 4 different coaches in 5 years has alot to do with it..plus Tambellini was a puppet who didn't do jack shit while he was GM..the rebuild has gone on waaaaaaay to long...attracting quality UFA's is difficult and will be until they ice a competitive team, I don't buy all the " Edmonton is too cold nobody wants to play there" crap...back in the 80's..EVERYONE wanted to play for Edmonton if given the chance because they were a proven contender every year...I miss those days..damn hard to be an Oilers fan these days. :(
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

jizzyjizim wrote:hard to argue with that..they do disappoint..I think the 4 different coaches in 5 years has alot to do with it..plus Tambellini was a puppet who didn't do jack shit while he was GM..the rebuild has gone on waaaaaaay to long...attracting quality UFA's is difficult and will be until they ice a competitive team, I don't buy all the " Edmonton is too cold nobody wants to play there" crap...back in the 80's..EVERYONE wanted to play for Edmonton if given the chance because they were a proven contender every year...I miss those days..damn hard to be an Oilers fan these days. :(
I feel your pain. Oilers and Isles were two of he greaest hockey teams ever in the 80s. Now look at them.
jizzyjizim
Headlining Clubs

Post by jizzyjizim »

NeverSurrender wrote:
jizzyjizim wrote:hard to argue with that..they do disappoint..I think the 4 different coaches in 5 years has alot to do with it..plus Tambellini was a puppet who didn't do jack shit while he was GM..the rebuild has gone on waaaaaaay to long...attracting quality UFA's is difficult and will be until they ice a competitive team, I don't buy all the " Edmonton is too cold nobody wants to play there" crap...back in the 80's..EVERYONE wanted to play for Edmonton if given the chance because they were a proven contender every year...I miss those days..damn hard to be an Oilers fan these days. :(
I feel your pain. Oilers and Isles were two of he greaest hockey teams ever in the 80s. Now look at them.
I hear ya...
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

NeverSurrender wrote:
Yep.

The two most impressive dynasty teams of all time imo.

Really hope the Isles make the playoffs this year for their own sake. Buffalo getting two high picks in the 2015 draft would be scary.

WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

pieceofme wrote: The two most impressive dynasty teams of all time imo.
The Montreal Canadiens of the late 1950's (record 5 straight cups from 1956 - 1960) and late 1970's (4 straight cups from 1976-1979; greatest regular season ever) beg to differ.

Best team I ever saw (I was 6):

The 1976–77 Montreal Canadiens season was the Canadiens' 68th season. The team is regarded to be the greatest NHL team ever composed. The Canadiens won their 20th Stanley Cup in 1976–77, taking the NHL championship. They set an NHL record for most points in a season by a team with 132 points.[1] They outscored opponents by 216 goals in 80 games for an average of 2.7 goals a game.[1]

Of the 24 players on the roster, 14 were drafted by the Canadiens including: Pierre Bouchard, Rick Chartraw, Brian Engblom, Bob Gainey, Rejean Houle, Guy Lafleur, Michel Larocque, Pierre Mondou, Bill Nyrop, Doug Risebrough, Larry Robinson, Steve Shutt, Mario Tremblay, and Murray Wilson. The only player on the roster not developed by the Canadiens was Peter Mahovlich.[1]

Record: 60-8-12, goals for: 387; goal against: 171. 12-2 in playoffs, with 4 shutouts.