Killeverything's (New)NeverEndingBaseballThread

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

killeverything
A Drinking Fan With A Baseball Problem

Re: Killeverything's (New)NeverEndingBaseballThread

Post by killeverything »

Miami signs Ichiro to 1 year deal. I don't know the money exchanged yet.
tin00can
Headlining Clubs

Post by tin00can »

killeverything wrote:Reds lock up Mesoraco for 4/28m.

New commish Manfred is discussing outlawing the "Williams Shift" in an effort to up the offense. He is also considering putting a time limit on pitchers between pitches. Fuck you. I hope that doesn't happen.

I wouldn't mind the time limit on pitches (or at the very least, a limit on the number of times the pitcher can throw to first before throwing a pitch) but I hope the shift kill doesn't go through. Fuck man, if they put the shift on you, bunt against it every time. A baserunner is better than an out. I would think that after doing that a few times, the shift would disappear. Plus, I'd enjoy seeing Ortiz bunt and trying to hustle to 1B.
killeverything

Post by killeverything »

tin00can wrote:
killeverything wrote:Reds lock up Mesoraco for 4/28m.

New commish Manfred is discussing outlawing the "Williams Shift" in an effort to up the offense. He is also considering putting a time limit on pitchers between pitches. Fuck you. I hope that doesn't happen.

I wouldn't mind the time limit on pitches (or at the very least, a limit on the number of times the pitcher can throw to first before throwing a pitch) but I hope the shift kill doesn't go through. Fuck man, if they put the shift on you, bunt against it every time. A baserunner is better than an out. I would think that after doing that a few times, the shift would disappear. Plus, I'd ewnjoy seeing Ortiz bunt and trying to hustle to 1B.
If you limit throwing to first can the runner then lead off to 5 feet from second? How would you stop the steal? It kills the strategy. Limiting pitches could result in more shoulder injuries. Lowering the mound would eradicate the curveball. All of these ideas are stupid as fuck. Why not just have the pitchers throw fucking underhand?

The Wiliams shift has been employed since the 40s by Lou Bourdeau ( I missed a trivia question on this. I thought that it was Luke Sewell [ Baltimore] that "invented" it ) to cool down Ted ( also used in the '46 WS ). Managers knew Ted wouldn't change his swing since it could bring about bad habits in his approach, so the tactic is completely psychological.

*Fun fact. Willie McCovey bunted around a shift that brought Mays in to score from first and netted him a 2B in the 70s.

I don't like the new commissioner already talking about unnecessary changes. Sometimes the league is pitcher superior. It's happened for 100+ years. While I like the resurgence of baseball's popularity, it's not going to compete with the NFL for tv ratings. Football is a sport made for television it's fast paced, simple to follow, easy to understand. Baseball isn't and it won't be.

I still think they've got to fix the 5 game LDS. With the addition of the 2nd WC, you have teams that won 95+ knocked out in 3. That's bullshit.
killeverything

Post by killeverything »

Braves and OF Jonny Gomes agree to one year deal with one year vesting option.
johnk5150
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by johnk5150 »

Ernie Banks memorial on Comcast Chicago now if you can find it. 665 in directv .
He's like the Liberace of bass & pot.

$tevil
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

I like the Cubs chances in 2015

Not really but someone has to be the 1st to state the Cubs baseball team
will be successful in the coming season :lol:
killeverything

Post by killeverything »

Machado wrote:I like the Cubs chances in 2015

Not really but someone has to be the 1st to state the Cubs baseball team
will be successful in the coming season :lol:
Yeah, Theo and Hoyer have done a brilliant job rebuilding that org. They have the second ranked prospect in all of baseball, added Jon Lester and Joe Maddon, they are right on the brink of being a serious thorn in St. Louis' side.

In fact this is the season I expect both ChC and Seattle ( although I will never support signing Cruz, even if he does make them better offensively ) to announce their presence to the baseball world. The M's have a good young team, the best pitcher in mlb not named "Kershaw", the best 2B, and an untouchable BP.

The AL West is going to be a blast to watch in 2015. I was saying give Jack Zduriencik 5 years......it's been 6 and a half. Now it's time to see if he was a joke or not.
johnk5150

Post by johnk5150 »

Jesus. 1630 RBI from a shortstop.
He's like the Liberace of bass & pot.

$tevil
UtahRatt
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by UtahRatt »

johnk5150 wrote:Jesus. 1630 RBI from a shortstop.
I knew there was a debate if he could hit a curveball but, Jesus played shortstop?
poizond13 wrote:I have been very bummed out, sad and shocked for most of the night
Artemis2085 wrote:so I blurt out "I love you Paul!
Atomicpunk18 wrote:You see Black Crowes music has gotten me laid multiple times.
kreamygoodness
Headlining Clubs

Post by kreamygoodness »

UtahRatt wrote:
I knew there was a debate if he could hit a curveball but, Jesus played shortstop?
I always thought he was a closer.

LitaStrauss wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:57 am Nobody is out to get you. Get off line and stop reading bullshit.
kreamygoodness
Headlining Clubs

Post by kreamygoodness »

kreamygoodness wrote:
UtahRatt wrote:
I always thought he was a closer. 8)

LitaStrauss wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:57 am Nobody is out to get you. Get off line and stop reading bullshit.
killeverything

Post by killeverything »

SF avoids arbitration with Brandon Belt for 3.6m deal.
Locking up Belt has been talked of a lot especially since he's going to be out of their price range soon. He's predicted to have his breakout season this year. Kind of reminds me of another Will Clark.
killeverything

Post by killeverything »

Josh Hamilton to umdergo shoulder surgery out 3-8 weeks.
killeverything

Post by killeverything »

Former 1B Dan Bergman, 61 passes away from bile duct cancer.
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

killeverything wrote:Josh Hamilton to umdergo shoulder surgery out 3-8 weeks.
I hate to state the obvious but that guy is always getting injured.
Was it the drug abuse that has broken down his body or is he just another MLB players that used "steroids" to get ahead and is now paying the price?

Still very glad the Yankees did not sign him to that enormous contact.
killeverything

Post by killeverything »

Machado wrote:
I hate to state the obvious but that guy is always getting injured.
Was it the drug abuse that has broken down his body or is he just another MLB players that used "steroids" to get ahead and is now paying the price?

Still very glad the Yankees did not sign him to that enormous contact.
They got enough problems with Sabbathia, Arod, and Teixeria trying to stay healthy and clean.

Victor Martinez having surgery on torn meniscus. Possibly out 4-6 weeks.
killeverything

Post by killeverything »

Today in 1898 the most impactful player in baseball and possibly sports history was born. Babe Ruth.

Today in 1958 Ted Williams signs the largest contract in baseball history ( $158,000 ) with Boston.
tin00can
Headlining Clubs

Post by tin00can »

I never wish injury on anyone, but since he has one I wouldn't shed a tear if it kept him out even longer.
killeverything

Post by killeverything »

The talks between James Shields and San Diego are heating up. There is some smoke showing up in SD. AJ Preller ain't fucking around. It looks like the Paper Kings are going to have some competition in So. Cal.

SF discussing expanded role for Barry Bonds as an instructor in ST.
I believe an asterisk should be next to his HR milestones, but have softened in my no PED guys ( the ones who didn't need them. I'm talking to you, Mcgwire ) in the Hall. Barry is literally in the top 5 players of all time. With or without roids. He was/is an asshole, but so was Cobb. Would his eligibility be questioned?
MurrayFiend

Post by MurrayFiend »

I've said it before, but I'll repeat it: I give zero fucks about steroids. If they really were as prevalent as people say they were, then adjust accordingly and let the guys who stood out in that era into the HOF. Even the big-headed Popeye-looking motherfuckers.

It's not like there's any data saying McGwire (just an example of a man of prodigious power, sorry kill) would've hit ___ HRs without 'roids and hit 583 with 'em, anyway.
HeavyMetalZombie666 wrote:Any chicks on this board like Sean Connery or Roger Moore?
killeverything

Post by killeverything »

MurrayFiend wrote:I've said it before, but I'll repeat it: I give zero fucks about steroids. If they really were as prevalent as people say they were, then adjust accordingly and let the guys who stood out in that era into the HOF. Even the big-headed Popeye-looking motherfuckers.

It's not like there's any data saying McGwire (just an example of a man of prodigious power, sorry kill) would've hit ___ HRs without 'roids and hit 583 with 'em, anyway.
I see your point. My feeling on McGwire was he was on them his whole career and all he did was hit HRs. That's it. He wasn't a good fielder or base runner. Nothing he hit with power. One tool out of 5. He doesn't even have 2,000 hits.

For guys like that I don't think he belongs in the Hall. Barry and Clemens do. Both noted assholes, but HOF careers before they started juicing
MurrayFiend

Post by MurrayFiend »

He hit HRs, got on base and walked almost as much as he struck out (of course, those skills were less uncommon in that era than now). Poor defense for a lifelong 1B? How much could he really hurt his team? And the numbers tell me he pretty much knew what he was as a baserunner and didn't try to do too much, so whatever.

He wasn't Bonds, and he burned the fuck out, but man.

ETA I love his ridiculous HR in the middle of Johnson's 19K performance so much.
HeavyMetalZombie666 wrote:Any chicks on this board like Sean Connery or Roger Moore?
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

We all know the story. Sure the League and Owners hold a huge part of the blame but....
I cant give the Steroid Era a break and players like Bonds should have an asterix and banned from the HOF. Bonds was the face, if we give him a nod how about Rafael Palmeiro and so on?
It did piss on the legacy the records and time should never forget that...But what will be forgotten is it forced young players to use the needle and lot to not make it to the big leagues.

I've mentioned having an acquaintance who Pitched at Arizona State with Barry Bonds. He was drafted by the Rangers then blew an elbow in the minors. After a move to Catcher he retired.
This was years before the Steroid allegations hit the press but anyone who followed, was into or played sports knew about it or was into themselves.

It's the story's and conversations I'll never forget.

"The competition is so tight and fierce that hard work and talent isn't enough anymore so if the difference between making ends meat in the minors or having a huge contract in the majors was using the needle, would you do it?"
"It's sad because there was a lot of young guys with tons of talent and worked hard but refused to take steroids and a lot of them never made it while a lot of the guys who did make the roster were the guys standing in that clubhouse injection line"

Bonds, Sosa, Brady Anderson, Canseco, McGwire and A-Roid.......I don't care about the HR's, fuck those guys, they shit on the game.
poizond13 wrote:I have been very bummed out, sad and shocked for most of the night
Atomicpunk18 wrote:You see Black Crowes music has gotten me laid multiple times.
MurrayFiend

Post by MurrayFiend »

UtahRatt wrote:We all know the story. Sure the League and Owners hold a huge part of the blame but....
I cant give the Steroid Era a break and players like Bonds should have an asterix and banned from the HOF. Bonds was the face, if we give him a nod how about Rafael Palmeiro and so on?
It did piss on the legacy the records and time should never forget that...But what will be forgotten is it forced young players to use the needle and lot to not make it to the big leagues.

I've mentioned having an acquaintance who Pitched at Arizona State with Barry Bonds. He was drafted by the Rangers then blew an elbow in the minors. After a move to Catcher he retired.
This was years before the Steroid allegations hit the press but anyone who followed, was into or played sports knew about it or was into themselves.

It's the story's and conversations I'll never forget.

"The competition is so tight and fierce that hard work and talent isn't enough anymore so if the difference between making ends meat in the minors or having a huge contract in the majors was using the needle, would you do it?"
"It's sad because there was a lot of young guys with tons of talent and worked hard but refused to take steroids and a lot of them never made it while a lot of the guys who did make the roster were the guys standing in that clubhouse injection line"

Bonds, Sosa, Brady Anderson, Canseco, McGwire and A-Roid.......I don't care about the HR's, fuck those guys, they shit on the game.
Anecdotal, sanctimonious, typical fan garbage. Sorry.
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

MurrayFiend wrote:Anecdotal, sanctimonious, typical fan garbage. Sorry.
You're right but I bet you it will still be talked about a century from now.
Depends on what side of the fence you stand on. Casual fans not so much but everyone has a line in the sand. Rose and Cooperstown, Pine tar, all the scandals, DH rule, Bud Selig....Whatever......
I quit watching baseball over the 1994 Strike....The Dodgers were in first, the Expos were raped of history, Tony Gwynn riding the .400 mark......The list is endless and even tho it was juiced it still pisses me off. I went from a huge fan to a forever casual fan that year.

There's little denying that Steroids will go down in history as Baseballs biggest black eye. The league knew about it, let it turn into a monster and here we are today still dealing with roids 30+ years later. The game didn't change, the players cheated and blew up the stats like a Daisy Cutter....Pissing on the legacy of the Roger Maris's and Babe Ruth's.

It's history, in the books and this is offensive to a lot of fucking people.

1. Barry Bonds 762
2. Hank Aaron 755
3. Babe Ruth 714
4. Willie Mays 660
5. Alex Rodriguez 654
tin00can
Headlining Clubs

Post by tin00can »

Looks like Shields is going to the Padres, 4 years for around $80 million. Man, the Padres completely reinvented themselves during the offseason. I hope it works for them.
killeverything

Post by killeverything »

UtahRatt wrote:
MurrayFiend wrote:Anecdotal, sanctimonious, typical fan garbage. Sorry.
You're right but I bet you it will still be talked about a century from now.
Depends on what side of the fence you stand on. Casual fans not so much but everyone has a line in the sand. Rose and Cooperstown, Pine tar, all the scandals, DH rule, Bud Selig....Whatever......
I quit watching baseball over the 1994 Strike....The Dodgers were in first, the Expos were raped of history, Tony Gwynn riding the .400 mark......The list is endless and even tho it was juiced it still pisses me off. I went from a huge fan to a forever casual fan that year.

There's little denying that Steroids will go down in history as Baseballs biggest black eye. The league knew about it, let it turn into a monster and here we are today still dealing with roids 30+ years later. The game didn't change, the players cheated and blew up the stats like a Daisy Cutter....Pissing on the legacy of the Roger Maris's and Babe Ruth's.

It's history, in the books and this is offensive to a lot of fucking people.

1. Barry Bonds 762
2. Hank Aaron 755
3. Babe Ruth 714
4. Willie Mays 660
5. Alex Rodriguez 654
I differ in my opinion on the matter. Seeing the list like that pisses me off. I quit following baseball after the strike until 2001 ( got to see the Yanks lose the WS that year too ).

I'm under the belief that those guys need an asterisk. Maris has one for needing more games than Ruth to hit 60, much less 61.
killeverything

Post by killeverything »

SD plans to be aggressive in the Moncada bidding

That would be hysterical of they outbid NY.
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

tin00can wrote:Looks like Shields is going to the Padres, 4 years for around $80 million. Man, the Padres completely reinvented themselves during the offseason. I hope it works for them.
What did Shields do to deserve that "Big Game" nickname?
He was 0-2 in the WS last season. If those are not the biggest game, tell me which are.

When I read the radio report the trade and the announcer used the "Big Game" nickname, I had to laugh.
killeverything

Post by killeverything »

Machado wrote:
tin00can wrote:Looks like Shields is going to the Padres, 4 years for around $80 million. Man, the Padres completely reinvented themselves during the offseason. I hope it works for them.
What did Shields do to deserve that "Big Game" nickname?
He was 0-2 in the WS last season. If those are not the biggest game, tell me which are.

When I read the radio report the trade and the announcer used the "Big Game" nickname, I had to laugh.
As I've stated before "Big Game James" only implies he's pitched in big games, which he has. It doesn't say he was any good at it.

He got the nickname in Tampa where he always beat Boston and NY. It seemed to end there though.