Killeverything's (New)NeverEndingBaseballThread

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

killeverything
A Drinking Fan With A Baseball Problem

Re: Killeverything's (New)NeverEndingBaseballThread

Post by killeverything »

FullDJacket wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:29 am Can I ask a stupid question since I'm not a baseball guy...if statistically, at away games, all pitchers struggle during the first inning.....why would it be preposterous to use a closer during the first inning when you're on the road?....like this caller suggests:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NImPEgS-lbM
Bill James wrote about using your closer in a situation where you need to keep runs off the board, not just for the 9th inning.

The problem, and one of the reasons the MLBPA would never allow it is you would lose the 'Saves' stat. Although technically it makes a lot of sense to have your Rivera come in the 7th or 8th if need be.
WhiteHouseSubsAC wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:32 am How about those undefeated Phils? I think this Harper kid may be good someday.
I could I swear remember reading scouts raving about Harper in a Top Prospect book a while back. I know I've heard of him before.
Cyd
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by Cyd »

Opening day in STL. We're headed down there. Hope to see the Clydesdales on parade.
killeverything

Post by killeverything »

Cyd wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:20 am Opening day in STL. We're headed down there. Hope to see the Clydesdales on parade.
Cool.

Twins SS Jorge Polance hits for the cycle against Philly.

Just in case anyone forgot I still fucking hate interleague.
UtahRatt
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by UtahRatt »

killeverything wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:20 pmJust in case anyone forgot I still fucking hate interleague.

It's kind of a like hate......If it wasn't for interleague I wouldn't have caught an LAD @ Seattle series when Safeco/T-Mobile was built other then that it blows...I've watched some stupid ones at Coors Field that turned into a blah day I couldn't figure out why.

I hate the DH.

Not sure how they're scheduled 3 game sets with one division? Burns a few games. I don't like it but trying to come up with a good reason other than I'm an NL guy...I couldn't careless about the Freeway series.

-----------------------------------------------
ESPN's week 1 power rankings......Um, I get the feeling it will change. :P

1. Los Angeles Dodgers
2. Philadelphia Phillies
3. Milwaukee Brewers
4. New York Mets
5. Tampa Bay Rays

6. New York Yankees
7. Houston Astros
8. Atlanta Braves
9. Cleveland Indians
10. Seattle Mariners

11. Boston Red Sox
12. Washington Nationals
13. San Diego Padres
14. St. Louis Cardinals
15. Minnesota Twins
16. Oakland Athletics
17. Colorado Rockies
18. Pittsburgh Pirates

19. Chicago CubsSuck 2-7

All those NL teams in the top 5 when going into the season it was Boston, Houston, NYYankme's......At least most the teams I like are top 5..The first week.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
BTW - Thanks B-Sox fans....LAD - Sweet pick up!
Joe Kelly has all three of their losses from the pen! Every time I see his name I white knuckle anything in my hands. I'm surprised the team hasn't fragged him.

Joe Kelly - 5G, 6ip, 3BLSV, 13.50ERA..........Good games.

----------------------------------------------

The Phillies are most surprising, two/three seasons ago I thought they'd be hurting for a while. Pretty quick rebuild so far I hope they mess up that division.
Last edited by UtahRatt on Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
poizond13 wrote:I have been very bummed out, sad and shocked for most of the night
Artemis2085 wrote:so I blurt out "I love you Paul!
Atomicpunk18 wrote:You see Black Crowes music has gotten me laid multiple times.
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

Hyun-Jin Ryu pulled a fucking hammy, he's the new Darren Dreifort.

If LAD didn't stick with Darren Dreifort they would have kept Pedro and history would be different. Ryu needs a fucking diet and a yoga class.
poizond13 wrote:I have been very bummed out, sad and shocked for most of the night
Atomicpunk18 wrote:You see Black Crowes music has gotten me laid multiple times.
killeverything

Post by killeverything »

Luis Severino shut down for 6 weeks with MRI strain.
UtahRatt wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:24 pm -----------------------------------------------
ESPN's week 1 power rankings......Um, I get the feeling it will change. :P

1. Los Angeles Dodgers
2. Philadelphia Phillies
3. Milwaukee Brewers
4. New York Mets
5. Tampa Bay Rays

6. New York Yankees
7. Houston Astros
8. Atlanta Braves
9. Cleveland Indians
10. Seattle Mariners

11. Boston Red Sox
12. Washington Nationals
13. San Diego Padres
14. St. Louis Cardinals
15. Minnesota Twins
16. Oakland Athletics
17. Colorado Rockies
18. Pittsburgh Pirates
19. Chicago CubsSuck 2-7

The Phillies are most surprising, two/three seasons ago I thought they'd be hurting for a while. Pretty quick rebuild so far I hope they mess up that division.
I disagree with the rankings. As I've said before I think everyone is highly underrating Houston.

Seattle is the first to 10 wins and leads mlb HRs. I'm not too sure how far I think the Ms will go though. Paxton is gone and the King is mortal. No team impresses me unless their pitching staff is lethal, or they have a Bumgarner big ace type.

I'm not sure how I feel about Philly. I don't know too much about the NL East currently. I do know that it was said the Phillies were like almost there ( before Harper ) of being the team to beat. The NL East gonna be a gnarly Division. The Mets are playing well, Atlanta's on the rise ( sorry, Utah ), and Philly looks like the real deal.

I'll look into it more. I haven't been able to spend as much time delving into baseball as I love the past two years ( job/promotion ), BUT I bought the newest Baseball Prospect Handbook recently, so that's a start.
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

Those ESPN week 1 rankings mean nothing. No way it ends close to that.
Houston should win the WS but I'd like to see the Tribe take the AL. Seattle always comes out of the gate then folds at the break.......Last season it was winning all those 1R games.

The Braves and Brewers could be the NL's teams to keep an eye on but like last season the NL can't beat the top 3.5 AL $.

Tell me the ball ain't juiced!
C Austin Barnes said I don't know if the ball's are juiced but they're flying out tonight!....He has 2 already, hit 8 in 2017 and 4 last season.
I've watched several games including one where the Giants were getting pissed, I swear the zone has expanded maybe it's me but every game I've seen so far there's a lot out of the box strikes.

I bet we see a rise in AVG and a jump in HR's.
killeverything

Post by killeverything »

Here's a funny timeline of Jacoby Ellsbury "not participating in baseball activities." I remember laughing about the MFY signing him to their DL, but I had no idea it would be this bad. I fucking forgot about him.

Spoiler: he exists.

https://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2018/7/27/ ... es-red-sox
Facedown
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by Facedown »

Sox DFA Swihart to call up Leon.
Idiots.
Yeah, it was Swiharts' fault that Sales' fastball is at 92.
They could have traded him last year but now they''ll get nothing.
bonedog wrote:I let Facedown get the better of me
bonedog wrote:My first kid will be born when I am 47.
bonedog wrote:I suck at sludging.
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

killeverything wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:04 pm Here's a funny timeline of Jacoby Ellsbury "not participating in baseball activities." I remember laughing about the MFY signing him to their DL, but I had no idea it would be this bad. I fucking forgot about him.

Spoiler: he exists.

https://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2018/7/27/ ... es-red-sox
HAHA now that's a funny read.......WTF is he doing? I bet he don't even play R.B.I. Baseball 19 Xbox in case it's considered "Baseball Activities"

When you google him there's that google drop down box with questions......

Did Jacoby Ellsbury retire?

Does Jacoby Ellsbury still play baseball?

Does Ellsbury still play for the Yankees?

How large is Jacoby Ellsbury's contract?

Where is Jacoby Ellsbury now?

--------------------------------------Reminds me of a month ago about Joe Kelly........

"Cooking too long gives Dodgers' Kelly sore back"
Dodgers reliever Joe Kelly was scheduled to throw lightly on Friday after he was scratched from his appearance Wednesday due to a sore back. Kelly told manager Dave Roberts he hurt his back when he stood too long cooking Cajun food.

When the Dodgers had 5 losses......Kelly = 7G, 8.1ip, 15H, 10ER, 2B, 2HR....1W 2L...........3BLS....13.50 ERA
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

I seen Amazon announced........The Bryce Harper Store!
https://www.amazon.com/b?node=18745977011

From Under Armour to a full line of Salon products the Blind Barber has it........Hair Clay to Lemongrass Tea Shampoo and Bodywash!

Pat, better get up on dis....I bet the Cream of Coconut Dry Shampoo smells wonderful!
killeverything

Post by killeverything »

With the strikeout of AZ's Murphy, CC Sabbathia joins the 3,000 K Club.
killeverything

Post by killeverything »

On the 2nd, Noah Syndergaard just joined this very short and impressive list:

Homered and Pitched 1-0 Shutout Since 1920

Red Ruffing NYY 8/13/1932 at WAS
Spud Chandler NYY 5/21/1938 at CHW
Early Wynn CHW 5/1/1959 vs BOS
Jim Bunning PHI 5/5/1965 at NYM
Juan Pizarro CHC 9/16/1971 at NYM
Bob Welch LAD 6/17/1983 vs CIN
Noah Syndergaard NYM 5/2/2019 vs CIN

The Twins moved into the best record in the AL after taking 3 of 4 from Houston, but alas it's almost time for their yearly asskicking at MFY Stadium. :lol:
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

DOWN2WHISKEY wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 11:36 pm A's no hit the Cincinnati Reds. It was Mike Fiers 2nd career no hitter.
That was sweet and to think I was impressed with Ryu's complete game........I wounder how many SP's will finish 9innings this season.

I remember seeing a clip not long ago that said "Congratulation! You're the first SP to finish a game this season!"
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

killeverything wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:36 pm With the strikeout of AZ's Murphy, CC Sabbathia joins the 3,000 K Club.
I double posted and it took me back to the first post in the thread...... :oops:

Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:13 pm
killeverything wrote: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:13 am It returns.

Glorious and powerful.

With the end of the season near, a lot of discussion needs to be had this off season. What is Ben Sheets' worth? Who won't the MFY sign? Does Texeria stay? Does Varitek go? How and the fuck does Minyana still have a job? PAP ( pitcher abuse points ) pertaining to Sabbath and his impending free agency. Was the Santana trade worth it for the Mets? etc.

Let them begin.
Pertaining to Sabbath in the 3,000k club....I still have a Varitek jersey given to me from a chick. I'm gonna wash my car with it this week.
killeverything

Post by killeverything »

DOWN2WHISKEY wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 2:35 pm A's have won 6 in a row. I wonder if they are about to get hot like they did last year where the sucked until June then went on to make the playoffs? I hope so!
Speaking of the A's Kris Davis signs a 2/33.5m extension.
dmbrocker
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Post by dmbrocker »

RIP Bill Buckner of dementia at 69. That infamous '86 error drove him to madness...(too soon?):

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/red-sox-le ... 09047.html
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

DOWN2WHISKEY wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 3:23 pm A's have won 10 in a row, now in 2nd place.
I'd kill to see the A's make the post and KO anyone, OAK the D-Ray's and Twins are fresh air in the AL.

Wasn't pretty but nice to see Romo got the SV vs SF......Sucks he couldn't put that last one away in 16....|------| that close from a history changer....Forever a memory.

The game is freaking me out...It's been building since the 17WS but watching the highlights this season where hitters are muscling them over the wall off the end of the barrel or going down to get one is crazy. I'm convinced somethings up tell me it's not.....It's HR Derby.

A couple of us just watched the Dodgers put up 4 and walk off vs the Met's, the game pushed us over...NYM had back to backs in the 7th then LAD opened with back to backs in the 9th....Seven combined HR's with deep center shots that looked more like contact swings. I call BS, they're using Tom Brady balls...That or a some sort of PVC Latex lacquer finish bats. They normally don't carry like that at night in LA.

Am I the only one? It seems odd as fuck, something is off. LAD Barns had 4HR's last season, he has 4 in 40 games so far and that's a weak example.

See Bryant's jack in his first game back today? Looked like it was all arms 410ft over center..........I hope Joe Maddon started something that leads to more questions and answers because I'm not buying launch angles and air conditioners blowing out...BIGFOOT and Juiced Baseballs needs to be solved.
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

Funny how superstitious sports fans are, not all the time but I have a lot of goofy quirks.
Sometimes I get a bad feeling and can't watch the game no matter what and dammit every time If I switch over something bad happens....If I turn it off and it turns out ok I almost thank myself. There's games I feel like I half to watch regardless as if it's in the bag.

Other's I can only watch when they're at the plate and change the channel when they take the field, at times I like to destroy empty water bottles during high moments.

Last night I kept watching feeling like something could actually happen it couldn't get worse, after the lead off HR I felt a rally coming on and they put up 4 in the 9th. Most of the time I'd turn that shit off.

So ya, it's your fault the A's are streaky! Maybe the CUBS win softened them up. The Stros need to be brought down, time for a series loss.
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

Homer-happy: MLB-record 1,135 HRs hit in May!
More home runs were hit this May than in any other month in Major League Baseball history.

Toronto's Vladimir Guerrero Jr. went deep in the eighth inning at Colorado on Friday, the final day of the month, to set the record with the 1,120th homer in May. The previous mark was set in August 2017.

Hitters needed to slug 25 home runs Friday to break the record and ended up hitting 40, bringing the historic final tally for May to 1,135 homers.

With 2,279 homers on the year after Friday's games, the league is on pace for 6,510 homers, which would easily surpass the single-season record of 6,105 set in 2017.

Hitters are averaging 2.68 home runs per game this year, well above the 2.52 average in 2017. Of all runs scored this season, 44.5 percent have come via homer :shock:

--------------------

LAD 6 Philly 3 = All but 2runs were via homers.....4HR = all of LAD's runs, Philly 1HR and 2R by singles......HR DERBY!
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

MLB attendance down for 4th straight year........Baltimore, Cincinnati, Minnesota and Tampa Bay set stadium lows this year. Kansas City had its smallest home crowd since 2011, and Toronto and San Francisco since 2010.

The Marlins' average attendance is less than that of Triple-A Las Vegas. :shock:

MLB: Attendance is down, batting average is down....
The Ball: Got juice?
killeverything

Post by killeverything »

There's no way the ball isn't being "juiced" with the onslaught of HRs. It's like the whole McGwire/Sosa gorilla ball of the late 90s, all over again.

Seattle has been on a constant skid making Dipoto put essentially the whole team on the market. I do like what Dipoto has done as GM and with their draft though. They've got some players in farm that look good.

Jay Bruce to Philly is being worked out currently.
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

killeverything wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:45 pm There's no way the ball isn't being "juiced" with the onslaught of HRs. It's like the whole McGwire/Sosa gorilla ball of the late 90s, all over again.

Seattle has been on a constant skid making Dipoto put essentially the whole team on the market. I do like what Dipoto has done as GM and with their draft though. They've got some players in farm that look good.
Rob Manfred has consistently denied it....Is it me or does the crack sound different? Haven't been to a game in a while but the CRACK sounds dampened like a blue dot off a Hot DeMarini.

2017 set the MLB HR record...The top eight teams in slugging percentage all reached the playoffs and blew up WS-2017...Record HR's in a WS 25, by a Team 15 and in a WS game 8....Missed a lot of 2018 and I'm trying to figure WTF is up....Average has been sinking, HR's have been going up since 2016.....2018 NYY sets season HR record = 267

Here is what the first quarter of 2019 tells us about where baseball is and where it is going:

• Strikeouts, up for a 14th consecutive season, are at another all-time high.

• Walks have reached their highest rate in 19 seasons.

• Home runs at a record level (2.6 per game). Four of the five seasons with the greatest rate of home runs have occurred in the past four years.

• Those so-called Three True Outcomes (strikeouts, walks and homers) account for 36 percent of all plate appearances, up from 31 percent in 2015.

• The rate hitters swing and miss is up for a seventh straight year, each year a record high.

• the average game has more foul balls than balls actually put in play.

• Balls in play are down for a sixth straight year.

• The average game includes 252 pitches when the ball is not put in play, up from 238 in 2015 and 211 in 1989.

• Pitches per plate appearance are up for a fourth straight season to 3.93. All four years are the highest since pitch recording began in 1988.

• Full counts are up for a fourth straight year.

• Singles are down for a fifth straight year. They are more rare than any time in baseball history.

SI and some other statistical stuff.
https://www.si.com/mlb/2019/05/14/baseb ... -strikeout

“I think the balls are juiced, 100 percent,” Astros pitcher Dallas Keuchel said after his team evened the World Series with a 7-6 victory in 11 rollicking innings of Game 2. “Major League Baseball wants to put on a show. We crushed the home run record this year. Honestly, I think the balls are juiced.”
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

Why are home runs flying in Triple-A? Turns out, all baseballs are not created equal....
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/m ... 118862001/
"Thanks to the big-league baseball’s use at the Class AAA level for the first time this season, there is now growing statistical evidence" "The home run rate at the Class AAA level has leaped by nearly 50% – from 1.74 homers a game last year to 2.56 this year, even before the weather’s warmed up" 8)

------------------------------------------------------------
Another thing that's noticeable, empty seats.....Attendance drops for 12 MLB teams, as loss of gate takes on more permanent look.

The weather might play a part we'll see......

ESPN list
http://www.espn.com/mlb/attendance
#30. Miami AVG 9,478......... :shock:

-----------------------------------------------

The average age of a major league player on opening day dropped to 28.91 years from 29.13 at the start of last season.

The Phillies are the youngest team at 26.92. Other include Cincinnati (27.49), Miami (27.85), Pittsburgh (27.97), St. Louis (28.02) and the New York Yankees (28.04).

Toronto is the oldest averaging 31.01. Others over 30 are the Los Angeles Angels (30.32), Seattle (30.17), San Francisco (30.15) and Cleveland 30.08).

The MLB average was 29.17 in 2015 and 29.04 in 2016.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/m ... /33483529/

----------------------------------------------

That kid getting hit by a foul ball down the 3B line from Albert Almora Jr. was ugly, haven't heard how the kid is. I've always had a issue with people who park down the lines with kids and mostly the ones not paying attention. I'm not really for more extended netting either, I prefer the 3rd base line and liked it behind the dugout...But people with kids I get it......I wouldn't sit there with a kid unless glove is in hand.

Not sure how anyone else feels I can see netting down the line it's already to the end of the dugout? That was the place to be.

This quote sums up a lot for me.........
"Baseball likes to cling to the notion that the game is timeless, that a time-traveling fan would instantly recognize the game of any era as familiar. The modern game is blowing up that quaint belief. Baseball today hardly resembles what it did even five years ago."
killeverything

Post by killeverything »

Craig Kimbrel to sign multi year deal with Cubs.

Raul Mondesi sentenced to 8 years for corruption.
Facedown
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by Facedown »

Sale is only the second pitcher ever to have two immaculate innings in one season.
bonedog wrote:I let Facedown get the better of me
bonedog wrote:My first kid will be born when I am 47.
bonedog wrote:I suck at sludging.
dmbrocker
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Post by dmbrocker »

Dallas Keuchel to the Braves. Smart move for my home state boys, yay or nay?
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
killeverything

Post by killeverything »

dmbrocker wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:38 pm Dallas Keuchel to the Braves. Smart move for my home state boys, yay or nay?
Depends. We need to know more. If it's super short, sure. You can never have too much pitching, but I think there's a reason he wasn't snatched up.
killeverything

Post by killeverything »

David Ortiz shot in the leg during botched robbery attempt in Dominican Republic.
Pierce Foreskin
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Pierce Foreskin »

killeverything wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:22 pm David Ortiz shot in the leg during botched robbery attempt in Dominican Republic.
Turns out it wasn't his leg, but a shot through the back that exited his stomach. Shitty news to start a day.
Every lady needs a Prince Albert in her Can
UtahRatt wrote: You either like Zappa or you like taking it up the ass with anal beads the size of a plum.