The Never Ending MMA thread

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

SlayerNPG
MSX Tour Support Act

Re: The Never Ending MMA thread

Post by SlayerNPG »

Got my UFC 100 tickets last week, can not fucking wait, the card is looking amazing. I was lucky it sold out during the presale:

UFC 100

Champ Brock Lesnar vs. interim champ Frank Mir (heavyweight title unification)
Champ Georges St. Pierre vs. Thiago Alves (for welterweight title)
Michael Bisping vs. Dan Henderson
Yoshihiro Akiyama vs. Alan Belcher
Jon Fitch vs. Paulo Thiago
Stephan Bonnar vs. Mark Coleman
Jon Jones vs. Jake O'Brien
C.B. Dollaway vs. Tom Lawlor
Jonathan Goulet vs. Dong Hyun Kim
Mac Danzig vs. Jim Miller
Matt Grice vs. Shannon Gugerty
tin00can
Headlining Clubs

Post by tin00can »

SlayerNPG wrote:Got my UFC 100 tickets last week, can not fucking wait, the card is looking amazing. I was lucky it sold out during the presale:

UFC 100

That is a solid card! I hope Mir is busting his ass to get ready for it.

Bisping v Henderson should be really good.
Lopes
Picking a Band Name

Post by Lopes »

SlayerNPG wrote:Got my UFC 100 tickets last week, can not fucking wait, the card is looking amazing. I was lucky it sold out during the presale:

UFC 100

How the fuck does Lesnar vs. Mir get top billing over GSP?

WAR BUNDY!
nakedmadman
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by nakedmadman »

Lopes wrote:

UFC 100

Ratings. Pure and simple.
GSP might be in the top 3 in the PVP ratings, but the fact is, Lesnar is going to be the one to bring in the casual fan/curious newcomer. Name recognition.
SlayerNPG
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by SlayerNPG »

nakedmadman wrote:
Lopes wrote:

UFC 100

Ratings. Pure and simple.
GSP might be in the top 3 in the PVP ratings, but the fact is, Lesnar is going to be the one to bring in the casual fan/curious newcomer. Name recognition.
Exactly, Brock was the #1 PPV draw of 2008. I like Brock though, I'm looking forward to seeing him beat the piss out of Mir.
KillDevilHill
Headlining Clubs

Post by KillDevilHill »

Well, Im glad you bought your tickets for the other fights as well, because that aint going to happen.

And I think its part Frank Mir and its title unifacation fight. It will never happen again but to put Lesnar over GSP for any other reason be pretty cunty
Mr Yellow Discipline wrote:Somebody please post more videos of girls getting set on fire.
JRA wrote: I did like how they took the piss out of readers. Fuck books and fuck them.
Lopes
Picking a Band Name

Post by Lopes »

SlayerNPG wrote:

Exactly, Brock was the #1 PPV draw of 2008. I like Brock though, I'm looking forward to seeing him beat the piss out of Mir.
I realize that, but it still seems pretty disrespectful to GSP. The guy is in the middle of an incredible run in the welterweight division where he is beating the piss out of everyone (aside from the freak occurrence in his first fight with Serra) and possibly setting up a showdown with Anderson Silva in a superfight.

WAR BUNDY!
Drunken_Little_Elf
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by Drunken_Little_Elf »

I realize it's old news, but I was just curious as to what everyone thought of Dana White's outburst on Loretta Hunt last week? Personally I agree with what he said about the Franklin/Lindland situation, but as for the rest of it, I can't believe he wasn't smart enough to realize what I stupid move this was.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOLXBMHOje8

And my apologies if this has been discussed somewhere else, I just didn't see it.
Tommy2Tone84 wrote:I know I'm dumb.
KillDevilHill
Headlining Clubs

Post by KillDevilHill »

Drunken_Little_Elf wrote:I realize it's old news, but I was just curious as to what everyone thought of Dana White's outburst on Loretta Hunt last week? Personally I agree with what he said about the Franklin/Lindland situation, but as for the rest of it, I can't believe he wasn't smart enough to realize what I stupid move this was.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOLXBMHOje8

And my apologies if this has been discussed somewhere else, I just didn't see it.
He is a cunt, and the needs to act like a president of the biggest MMA org, not some fucking frat boy.

But he wont, and he will just blame the media when not taken serious.

Lorretta Hunt is a dumb bitch though, so he is right about that....
Mr Yellow Discipline wrote:Somebody please post more videos of girls getting set on fire.
JRA wrote: I did like how they took the piss out of readers. Fuck books and fuck them.
BozoMcMetal
Headlining Clubs

Post by BozoMcMetal »

Man, I can't wait to see Shogun retire Chuck Liddell tonight. Silva weighed in at 182, I don't know why it was so low when he walks around at 220+. I hope it doesn't affect his performance, but he should take care of Leites quickly.
Lopes
Picking a Band Name

Post by Lopes »

BozoMcMetal wrote:Man, I can't wait to see Shogun retire Chuck Liddell tonight. Silva weighed in at 182, I don't know why it was so low when he walks around at 220+. I hope it doesn't affect his performance, but he should take care of Leites quickly.
I hope that Shogun has worked on his cardio and we get the guy from Pride, he was fun to watch, but if he puts on another performance like the last two, he'll probably be cut. I think that Leites is going to put up a pretty good fight, I think that he has a good enough chin to get it to the ground but he needs to be smart and selective going for takedowns. Looking forward to the fights tonight.

WAR SHOGUN!

WAR BUNDY!
SlayerNPG
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by SlayerNPG »

I'm not a fan of either really, but Im actually rooting for Chuck to send Shogun back to Japan so he can go back to soccer kicking Japanese bums in the head. I never liked Shogun. Anderson should kill Leites. I'm really looking forward to this event even though there's not a whole lot of intrigue for any of the fights for me, probably because Jardine/Rampage seems like it was so fucking long ago!
nakedmadman

Post by nakedmadman »

OK, time's short, who's pickin' who??

Mine...

Anderson Silva Vs. Thales Leites
Silva, K.O. mid-first round.

Chuck Liddell Vs. Mauricio Rua
Chuck, K.O. Second.
Chuck's due for a win, and I've not been impressed with Shogun since coming to the UFC.

Krzysztof Soszynski Vs. Brian Stann
Don't know a whole lot about Stann, Soszynski's a former TUF guy, but he's yet to impress me.
Stann, late submission.

Cheick Kongo Vs. Antoni Hardonk
Kongo by KO, late second, early third.

Steve Cantwell Vs. Luiz Cane
Don't know either of these guys, Cantwell's 7-1, and Cane's 10-1
I'll go with the record, Cane.

Dark matches....

Eliot Marshall Vs. Vinicius Magalhaes
Couple more TUF guys Marshall's the MUCH better striker, but Vinny's a BJJ ace.
Magalhaes by sub.

Denis Kang Vs. Xavier Foupa-Pokam
Kang

Jason MacDonald Vs. Nate Quarry
I'd much rather see this fight than the Soszynski V Stann fight.
Quarry

David Loiseau Vs. Ed Herman
The Crow's elbows win again.

Mark Bocek Vs. David Bielkheden
I've only ever seen either of these two once...no opinion here.

Ryo Chonan Vs. TJ Grant
Don't know these two either.

Sam Stout Vs. Matt Wiman
Stout by KO
tin00can
Headlining Clubs

Post by tin00can »

I actually nodded off during the Silva fight. I was pissed at Lietes for flopping on the ground, but a champion needs to be able to take advantage of shit like that. Despite Joe Rogan creaming his pants, I thought it was Silva's least impressive fight.

I'm now a fan of the Polish Experiment. Watching him in the ring prior to the fight, he seemed totally cool and relaxed. Gotta dig him.

Iceman - you've given us some great moments, but it is time to hang up the gloves.

Wiman has a lot of potential, I just think he needs better training. He was way too wild and unfocused. His last round really impressed me, though. Plus, I give props to anybody in the octagon rocking the "drugged-out Brian Wilson" look.
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

good to see the canadians win but that was kind of a boring show.

lesner is main eventing over gsp partially because the heavyweight championship is traditionally the "big one".
BD888

Post by BD888 »

So, is Liddell retiring now?

I think he looked way too cautious, and man he leaves himself open to leg kicks, I don't see why he doesn't check with his legs when he used to be a kick boxer. What else is left for him?
Lopes
Picking a Band Name

Post by Lopes »

Shogun is back!

He looked really sharp, and hopefully he continues to do so. Chuck needs to either retire, or go the Randy Couture way of training everyday instead of partying until two months before a fight and then training because he's too old to just look for an overhand right all of the time.

Enough of the "Silva is the pound for pound best" talk. He's good, but Fedor is the best right now and it doesn't look like it is going to change anytime soon.

WAR BUNDY!
Garbageman
Trashsocioculturist
Location: This is gonna be one hell of a horse race, cuz I'm riding a cheetah!

Post by Garbageman »

Lopes wrote:
SlayerNPG wrote:

I realize that, but it still seems pretty disrespectful to GSP. The guy is in the middle of an incredible run in the welterweight division where he is beating the piss out of everyone (aside from the freak occurrence in his first fight with Serra) and possibly setting up a showdown with Anderson Silva in a superfight.
Well in setting up a superfight, it makes sense for one of the fighters to be on the biggest card of the year... even if not as a headliner.

Plus people always put more stock in the heavyweight weight class as far as recognition... even if it's not guaranteed to be the best fight on a card.

And it Looks like Iceman is retired in Dana White's eyes!
radiobed wrote:The bottom line is Sleek is so far from credible when discussing Poison and their impact.
"I had to work hard for my yacht. I even played with Don Dokken." Bobby Blotzer
BozoMcMetal
Headlining Clubs

Post by BozoMcMetal »

Shogun looked awesome last night. At the bar I went to, it went silent when Chuck got dropped. He has more or less said in a couple of post fight interviews that he's done, which is good. A couple more fights and he could be going into Shamrock/Sakuraba territory.

Last night also proved what I've thought for a long time: Anderson Silva is not the p4p best fighter by a long shot. Those side kicks to the knee were fucking dirty, it looked like he was just trying to blow out Leites knee. I think he is gonna lose a lot of fans after these last 2 performances.
BD888

Post by BD888 »

BozoMcMetal wrote:Shogun looked awesome last night. At the bar I went to, it went silent when Chuck got dropped. He has more or less said in a couple of post fight interviews that he's done, which is good. A couple more fights and he could be going into Shamrock/Sakuraba territory.

Last night also proved what I've thought for a long time: Anderson Silva is not the p4p best fighter by a long shot. Those side kicks to the knee were fucking dirty, it looked like he was just trying to blow out Leites knee. I think he is gonna lose a lot of fans after these last 2 performances.
I usually rooted for both Ortiz, Couture, and Wanderlei against Chuck, and he won those fights. I also bet against him on those fights too. When I did bet on him with Jardine, Evans, and Shogun, he lost! Rampage was the only dude out of the big fights that I got right. I've never particularly been a huge Liddell fan, but I don't want to see him go out like he has. Apparently, he's announced his retirement, and Dana has announced it too, but i really doubt he'll go out on a loss. I don't see where he can go from here, other than some nostalgia fights, and hopefully we won't get Liddell/Couture 4.

Anderson Silva vs GSP will be great because GSP always comes forward.
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

BD888 wrote:So, is Liddell retiring now?

I think he looked way too cautious, and man he leaves himself open to leg kicks, I don't see why he doesn't check with his legs when he used to be a kick boxer. What else is left for him?
dana says he's done but chuck hasn't made up his mind yet.
KillDevilHill
Headlining Clubs

Post by KillDevilHill »

Kid-Wicked wrote:
BD888 wrote:So, is Liddell retiring now?

dana says he's done but chuck hasn't made up his mind yet.
Chuck doesnt have a choice, he still has fights on his contract and if the UFC wont him he cant go anywhere else.

Its not his choice
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

if dana doesn't want him to fight i'm sure he'd release him so he could go elsewhere else.
Garbageman
Trashsocioculturist

Post by Garbageman »

Kid-Wicked wrote:if dana doesn't want him to fight i'm sure he'd release him so he could go elsewhere else.
He wouldn't let Couture go (who would have likely been in Affliction fighting Fedor within weeks), why do you think he'd let Liddell go? Affliction or whoever could have a nice card to attract casual fans with Iceman vs Fedor topping it.
radiobed wrote:The bottom line is Sleek is so far from credible when discussing Poison and their impact.
KillDevilHill
Headlining Clubs

Post by KillDevilHill »

Kid-Wicked wrote:if dana doesn't want him to fight i'm sure he'd release him so he could go elsewhere else.
That would NEVER happen, why give away your historically biggest draw to your competition.

Chuck and Vitor or Ortiz on strikeforce, bring a lot of casual fans to them.

I doubt Chuck would do this, but NO way Dana would let liddel leave, would never happen
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

Garbageman wrote:
He wouldn't let Couture go (who would have likely been in Affliction fighting Fedor within weeks), why do you think he'd let Liddell go? Affliction or whoever could have a nice card to attract casual fans with Iceman vs Fedor topping it.
if he doesn't let him go he makes liddell bigger than the sport which he obviously isn't.

i don't think too many people want to see chuck go at it with fedor at this stage, but stranger things have happened i guess.
Garbageman
Trashsocioculturist

Post by Garbageman »

Kid-Wicked wrote:
Garbageman wrote:
if he doesn't let him go he makes liddell bigger than the sport which he obviously isn't.

i don't think too many people want to see chuck go at it with fedor at this stage, but stranger things have happened i guess.
The names on the card are the only thing that sells an MMA event outside of UFC. Look at the people Kimbo Slice was fighting before he was shut the hell up that sold a bunch of tickets and got on network and PPV. It was UFC castoffs who had names... even if they were old names. Liddell still has a name worth something to any MMA promoter. White will sit on that contract forever.
Drunken_Little_Elf
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by Drunken_Little_Elf »

Ok this whole Silva-Leites thing is getting good! I can't believe I'm actually agreeing with Matt Huges!

http://www.thefightnetwork.com/news/mma ... eites_bout

TORONTO (CP) - Middleweights Anderson Silva and Thales Leites continue to draw poor reviews for their lacklustre main event at UFC 97 last Saturday in Montreal.

"You never want to disrespect fellow fighters, much less two contesting a UFC world title, but I think both guys should hang their heads in shame, quite honestly," English middleweight Michael Bisping wrote in his weekly blog on www.ufc.com. "Leites probably won the first two rounds but nothing happened in the fight.

"I fought on the first card in Montreal last April, and the Canadians are tremendous supporters of the UFC. They deserved a hell of a lot better than they got from these two. I've seen more aggression from my fiancee when she hits the January sales."

Brazilian veteran Wanderlei (The Axe Murderer) Silva also had little good to say of his namesake's performance.

"Disrespect again," he is quoted on the magazine Fighters Only website (www.fightersonlymagazine.co.uk)

"Disrespect to the public and so bad for the UFC, because everybody is waiting to see a great show. If you are going to fight in the main event you have a lot of responsibility because the fans pay to see (the fights) and this is bad for the sport. Everybody needs to have serious conduct in the fights, respect the fight."

Middleweight champion Anderson Silva won his ninth straight in the UFC when he earned a unanimous decision over Leites. Both fighters came in for criticism after the fight - Silva for not opening up in attack and Leites for constantly flopping on his back, in a bid to bring the fight to the ground.

"Next time we have a party and Anderson is on the card . . . well, I'll just say that at least I can expect to take a bathroom break or to go grab a refreshment when it comes time for him to fight," former welterweight champion Matt Hughes wrote in his blog (www.matt-hughes.com).
Tommy2Tone84 wrote:I know I'm dumb.
BozoMcMetal
Headlining Clubs

Post by BozoMcMetal »

Fedor vs. Aoki...Keep an eye out for this on Wednesday...hard to believe, but I'll check it out.

From Bloody elbow:

The rumors are true: MMA's undisputed #1 heavyweight and Japan's top lightweight will square off in a special exhibition match at next Wednesday's DEEP/M-1 Challenge event. DEEP President Shigeru Saeki and Shinya Aoki announced the fight today at a press conference in Tokyo; Fedor was not present, though his manager Vadim Finkelstein and Affliction VP Tom Atencio are said to be in Japan at the moment. The specifications and rules for the bout have not been finalized, but Saeki likened it to this week's K-1 MAX exhibition between Masato and 17-year-old kickboxing phenom HIROYA. (For what it's worth, HIROYA wore headgear and both parties wore shinguards.) Due to the weight difference between the two, this will presumably be a pure grappling or Sambo match. Aoki says he's pleased to be able to set foot in the ring with "the symbol of MMA."

Also announced for next Wednesday: Abe Ani Combat Club's Yusuke Masuda (2-5-2) will take Riki Fukuda's spot at 84kg on Team Japan, squaring off against England's Matt "12 Gauge" Thorpe (10-7). Fukuda pulled out of the event in favor of facing Murilo "Ninja" Rua on 48 hours notice at DREAM.8, where he won by unanimous decision.

Don't forget, the entire DEEP/M-1 Challenge show will be streaming over at Japan-MMA. The BE Night Crew will undoubtedly be up in full force for this one.

[UPDATE] God Bless The Ring reports that this will be a 3-5 minute Sambo match, according to Saeki.
KillDevilHill
Headlining Clubs

Post by KillDevilHill »

Meh its really not that crazy, I mean Aoki grappled Roger gracie in ADCC