The official NHL thread

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Re: The official NHL thread

Post by WOLF »

chungasrevenge wrote:Are the Habs about to break the Capital's streak?
YES! Roller coaster of a game - and a helluva game to watch.

I'll never get the Habs. They kick ass against the Pens and Caps, and in between get shut out by a team that had lost 10 in a row!
alecjonsludge
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by alecjonsludge »

WOLF wrote:

I'll never get the Habs. They kick ass against the Pens and Caps, and in between get shut out by a team that had lost 10 in a row!

That Pens game was painful.My one time to see the Pens in person this year and they lay an egg.Full credit to the Habs,the timbits(Gionta,Gomez) were on fire and Halak was great,when needed to be. I did learn that if you're wearing a Crosby jersey, and O'Byrne head fakes and goes around the actual Crosby,you're going to be ridiculed mercilessly for the rest of the game by the other fans. Wolf, is it just me, or is the Bell Centre a bit more "electric'" this year ? The two Pens games I took in last year,the place wasn't as abuzz as it was this past saturday afternoon.Mind you, usually when I go the Habs lose, but I digress.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

alecjonsludge wrote:
WOLF wrote:

That Pens game was painful.My one time to see the Pens in person this year and they lay an egg.Full credit to the Habs,the timbits(Gionta,Gomez) were on fire and Halak was great,when needed to be. I did learn that if you're wearing a Crosby jersey, and O'Byrne head fakes and goes around the actual Crosby,you're going to be ridiculed mercilessly for the rest of the game by the other fans. Wolf, is it just me, or is the Bell Centre a bit more "electric'" this year ? The two Pens games I took in last year,the place wasn't as abuzz as it was this past saturday afternoon.Mind you, usually when I go the Habs lose, but I digress.
The annual Superbowl afternoon games usually result in the best crowds of the year. A lot of families with kids because of the early start time; less corporate types in suits. It leads to a building with a lot more passion, and unbridled enthusiasm for the game - no matter how good or bad the Habs are playing.
chungasrevenge
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by chungasrevenge »

As much as I hate the Canadiens because they continually stick a knife in my heart, Montreal is the best hockey city in the world. I still have yet to see a game up there. I've visited many times during the summer and love the city. Actually, I was wearing my Bruins jacket last time I was up there and some dude was driving and almost swerved onto the sidewalk to yell obscenities at me and give me the middle finger. You have to love the passion.
grizzly31
Signed One Album Deal on Indy Label

Post by grizzly31 »

That Pens game was painful.My one time to see the Pens in person this year and they lay an egg.Full credit to the Habs,the timbits(Gionta,Gomez) were on fire and Halak was great,when needed to be. I did learn that if you're wearing a Crosby jersey, and O'Byrne head fakes and goes around the actual Crosby,you're going to be ridiculed mercilessly for the rest of the game by the other fans. Wolf, is it just me, or is the Bell Centre a bit more "electric'" this year ? The two Pens games I took in last year,the place wasn't as abuzz as it was this past saturday afternoon.Mind you, usually when I go the Habs lose, but I digress.[/quote]

The annual Superbowl afternoon games usually result in the best crowds of the year. A lot of families with kids because of the early start time; less corporate types in suits. It leads to a building with a lot more passion, and unbridled enthusiasm for the game - no matter how good or bad the Habs are playing.[/quote]

IMO Montreal is the best place to watch a game. As mentioned the electricity in the air is awesome. A group of us went last season to see the Habs and Caps on a Saturday, we arrived on Friday. The Leafs were there on the before Thursday, and lost (big surprise) I know. So we go out on the town Friday and I'm wearing a Leaf tee shirt. I would say that 80 percent of the people that noticed the logo had something to say. Some in french (could not understand but got the drift) and others in English, needless to say I made a lot of friends lol. Even walking out of Mona's the cop in the cammo pants gave me a hard time. It was great. As Chungasrevenge said you have to love the passion.
It is awesome to see so many jerseys, even if they were Habs, in the lower bowl of the Bell Center. Everyone was so in to the game, makes going to Toronto , like going to a wake.
Can't wait to go back, we are going to try Ottawa in March versus the Leafs.
Anne_Thrax
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by Anne_Thrax »

We have WAY more Habs fans down here than Thrashers fans. Shocking I know, but when I go to that game i'm just like where do these people COME from?! Just Habs fans as far as the eye could see.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Anne_Thrax wrote:We have WAY more Habs fans down here than Thrashers fans. Shocking I know, but when I go to that game i'm just like where do these people COME from?! Just Habs fans as far as the eye could see.
A lot of Montrealers go south for the winter. The Florida teams always want their games against the Habs scheduled Nov - Jan so they can fill the building with Habs fans and I'm certain the "snowbirds" make their way to Atlanta and those are the folks you're seeing.
Anne_Thrax

Post by Anne_Thrax »

OK, I just don't like the idea that there are Habs fans out there walking around the streets of atlanta going unnoticed. Sounds like its a seasonal thing.
chungasrevenge

Post by chungasrevenge »

Anne_Thrax wrote:OK, I just don't like the idea that there are Habs fans out there walking around the streets of atlanta going unnoticed. Sounds like its a seasonal thing.
They're everywhere. You can't trust anyone.
chungasrevenge

Post by chungasrevenge »

Has Kovalchuk been invisible in Jersey? They're like 2-6 with him in the lineup so far.
alecjonsludge

Post by alecjonsludge »

chungasrevenge wrote:Has Kovalchuk been invisible in Jersey? They're like 2-6 with him in the lineup so far.

Nedved I'm tellin' ya,he this generations Nedved.
StarvinMarvin
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by StarvinMarvin »

alecjonsludge wrote:
chungasrevenge wrote:Has Kovalchuk been invisible in Jersey? They're like 2-6 with him in the lineup so far.

Nedved was never as good as Kovulchuk.

I wonder if New Jersey's defense-first system is a good fit for a offense talent like Kovulchuk. We'll see.....
alecjonsludge

Post by alecjonsludge »

^^^^^^^^^No,but teams were gung-ho to get him when it was evident he wasn't going to resign with the Canucks.Any team he played for,he'd get a pile of points,but would never put them over the top.That's why I feel Kovalchuk is the new Nedved.
chungasrevenge

Post by chungasrevenge »

Let the trades begin.
grizzly31

Post by grizzly31 »

chungasrevenge wrote:Let the trades begin.

Florida trades Jordan Leopold to Pittsburgh for a second round pick.
chungasrevenge

Post by chungasrevenge »

Alright Wolf, going to the B's/Hab's game tonight. There should be an extra buzz in the building. It's spring like around here, so we're starting the liquid pre-game festivities outside this afternoon. Ah, good day.

Big game for the Hab's. B's have 3 games in hand.

EDIT: Bergeron is out tonight with a groin pull. Damn. Already starting with injuries.
Anne_Thrax

Post by Anne_Thrax »

Thrashers just signed Chelios. I guess Gordie Howe was unavailable.
Taco Torres
Playing at a Friend's Party

Post by Taco Torres »

ya know, I'll nevertake pleasure in seeing folks upset at losing their team (been there, done that)....but I'll have a raging boner IF therumorthatwon'tdie becomes reality and we get a team back in the 'Peg.

Fuck, yes I would indeed.
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

alecjonsludge wrote:

petr nedved caused me to tear my ACL when i was playing against him.

fag
chungasrevenge

Post by chungasrevenge »

It will be interesting to see what Chiarelli does after that bitch slapping. I'd put Lucic on the block. The guy has no game.
SkyDog112046
Headlining Clubs

Post by SkyDog112046 »

chungasrevenge wrote:It will be interesting to see what Chiarelli does after that bitch slapping. I'd put Lucic on the block. The guy has no game.
Lucic was fine in the role they had him in last year. It's just that with the departures after last season players are being asked to take some different roles and it's not working across the board. It's not easy to replace 30 goal scorer. Did they expect that 5 guys would all of a sudden score a half dozen more goals this season? I saw this coming in October. It also doesn't help that their best overall player is constantly hurt.

From what I've seen they aren't getting enough pressure in front of their opponents net and when they do there is nobody capable of scoring. And then once they get behind guys start pressing and making mistakes which just turns into more easy goals against them. The best defense is a good offense, and when your top scorer doesn't have 20 goals by March 1st your team is in trouble.

This season is already over. If they end up grabbing the 8th seed in the playoffs they are going to get swept out in the first round. The best thing they can do now is not do anything and hope that they draft well in the next couple of drafts.
chungasrevenge

Post by chungasrevenge »

SkyDog112046 wrote:
chungasrevenge wrote:It will be interesting to see what Chiarelli does after that bitch slapping. I'd put Lucic on the block. The guy has no game.
Did they expect that 5 guys would all of a sudden score a half dozen more goals this season?
That is exactly what Chiarelli expected. He didn't expect so many players to tank offensively. Chara and Wideman combined for 32 goals last year. This year combined they have what? 4 or 5? Lucic was projected to score 25-30 goals this year. He has 5. Michael Ryder may hit 20, last year he had 27. Krecji had 73 points last year. So far this year he has 31. That's before we get to Kessell. If any of the above players at least matched last years stats at this time, the B's would be 4th or 5th in the conference. Without Kessel.

Chiarelli screwed up with these NTC and paying people like Ryder $4 million. Ryder and Thomas taking up $9 million? Ah, fuck it. Aggravated.

NHL Center Ice television package is available for free to most US cable subscribers from 3/2-3/8. Every game. I wonder if they did that because of the Olympic momentum? If so, pretty smart. Actually, why don't they just give away the rest of the season for free outside of nationally televised games? That would be a good business move in the long run.
chungasrevenge

Post by chungasrevenge »

YOU GODDAMN FOOL CHIARELLI!! He better have something good on the horizon. Morris for a 4th in 2011? The fucker lost his mind. He's melting under the pressure. Holy christ, this fanbase is going to explode.
SkyDog112046
Headlining Clubs

Post by SkyDog112046 »

The Bruins just sent Weller and Bitz to Florida for a player with an expiring contract and a minor leaguer. If you factor in Morris' salary it appears to be a salary dump. They need to make room to sign their draft picks and make moves in the off season. This team is an 8th seed at best with no shot at advancing in the playoffs. I wouldn't mind them tanking the season at this point in order to improve their draft position.
Anne_Thrax

Post by Anne_Thrax »

he missed an empty netter last night. i'd say that is pretty close to invisible
grizzly31

Post by grizzly31 »

SkyDog112046 wrote:The Bruins just sent Weller and Bitz to Florida for a player with an expiring contract and a minor leaguer. If you factor in Morris' salary it appears to be a salary dump. They need to make room to sign their draft picks and make moves in the off season. This team is an 8th seed at best with no shot at advancing in the playoffs. I wouldn't mind them tanking the season at this point in order to improve their draft position.

Improve the drafting position, Toronto is taking care of that for them
SkyDog112046
Headlining Clubs

Post by SkyDog112046 »

grizzly31 wrote:
SkyDog112046 wrote:The Bruins just sent Weller and Bitz to Florida for a player with an expiring contract and a minor leaguer. If you factor in Morris' salary it appears to be a salary dump. They need to make room to sign their draft picks and make moves in the off season. This team is an 8th seed at best with no shot at advancing in the playoffs. I wouldn't mind them tanking the season at this point in order to improve their draft position.

Improve the drafting position, Toronto is taking care of that for them
OK, what's better?:
Pick #2 and pick #12-15
Pick #2 and pick #6-8
chungasrevenge

Post by chungasrevenge »

Yeah, at this point the only chance they have in the playoffs is if Rask or Thomas steals a series. Chia is betting his career on the 9 picks coming up.

People are jumping off the Tobin Bridge. The B's are definitley back in the sports culture around here. I can't remember this much outrage over a B's draft day decision. All over talk radio. The B's are now beating the Celtics in the ratings and the Olympic game on Sunday drew the same ratings as a Patriots playoff game. Chia is under some serious pressure. Julien is starting to get some heat as well. Last year they were both being celebrated. At least it's Don Cherry night at the Garden this evening. That should get the fans excited. :roll:
SkyDog112046
Headlining Clubs

Post by SkyDog112046 »

chungasrevenge wrote:
Yeah, at this point the only chance they have in the playoffs is if Rask or Thomas steals a series. Chia is betting his career on the 9 picks coming up.

People are jumping off the Tobin Bridge. The B's are definitley back in the sports culture around here. I can't remember this much outrage over a B's draft day decision. All over talk radio. The B's are now beating the Celtics in the ratings and the Olympic game on Sunday drew the same ratings as a Patriots playoff game. Chia is under some serious pressure. Julien is starting to get some heat as well. Last year they were both being celebrated. At least it's Don Cherry night at the Garden this evening. That should get the fans excited. :roll:
I think people will support a team whether it wins or loses as long as there appears to be some type of plan in place and the team plays hard. The problem with this team besides the fact that there are no goal scorers is that there are nights that they don't give good effort. I saw them on MLK day and they were lifeless. Thomas gave up 3 goals a high school goalie could have stopped, the defense made sloppy turnovers, and when the offense actually managed to get it together long enough to create a scoring chance nobody could put the puck in the net.

I don't think the goalies can steal a series at this point because they'd have to be perfect to do it. I don't see them going against a 1 or 2 seed and being able to score more than a goal or two a game and you can't ask the goaltenders to put up shutouts every night.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

The team to avoid in the playoffs is Washington. They're goaltending might be so-so, but they can score plenty and they added some nice grit at the deadline (Walker and Belanger, plus Corvo at the point).

The #2 and #3 seeds, New Jersey and Ottawa/Buffalo could be had if their past playoff records are any indication. I wouldn't want to play Pittsburgh either.

I'd be shocked if we didn't wind up with a Washington/Pittsburgh Eastern Final - though I suppose they could meet in the second round, based on how things shake out in round 1.

My Habs are holding on by a thread (thank god for the 4-1 record vs the B's this year). They're slowly getting healthier, but the teams behind them have so many games in hand I can't see them holding on without a 6-7 game winning streak.