The official NHL thread

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

NeverSurrender
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Re: The official NHL thread

Post by NeverSurrender »

BryzDiPietro
Aquanetsuperhold
Headlining Clubs

Post by Aquanetsuperhold »

WOLF wrote:Capitals statement on Backstrom's suspension:

"We disagree with the NHL’s decision to suspend Nicklas Backstrom. This has been a competitive and physical series, and we do not understand why a suspension was imposed in this case while other incidents in this series have not been reviewed. Our singular focus now is on Game 4, and we look forward to the energy that our great fans provide."

Looks like they have the same press agent as the Canucks did last year. :roll:
WhiteHouseSubsAC
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by WhiteHouseSubsAC »

John Simon Ritchie wrote:Holy shit what an ugly game. I think we'll just start an orange traffic cone Friday. Shittsburgh is gonna start a cinder block.
How long is Rinaldo gone? Is he going to be the sacrificial lamb of the new NHL first round crackdown? :lol:
HeavyMetalZombie666 wrote:Of course your asshole is going to be sore when you volunteer for an asspounding and not set any boundaries at all.
Aquanetsuperhold
Headlining Clubs

http://youtu.be/Ne1y0QCOQOM

This is when a fight was a fight and players had some dignity and there arent pussys sucker punching and jumping in from behind and the ref's actually got involved and got their hands dirty. Love Wensink!
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

Aquanetsuperhold wrote:http://youtu.be/Ne1y0QCOQOM

This is when a fight was a fight and players had some dignity and there arent pussys sucker punching and jumping in from behind and the ref's actually got involved and got their hands dirty. Love Wensink!

The more they git rid of fighters, the worse it's going to get.
Mazerati

Post by Mazerati »

i made a $150 parlay Penguins & Rangers..........damn Ottawa
John Simon Ritchie

Post by John Simon Ritchie »

WhiteHouseSubsAC wrote:
John Simon Ritchie wrote:Holy shit what an ugly game. I think we'll just start an orange traffic cone Friday. Shittsburgh is gonna start a cinder block.
How long is Rinaldo gone? Is he going to be the sacrificial lamb of the new NHL first round crackdown? :lol:

That was ridiculous. Dude is a straight up idiot. And he wonders why he gets so many "penalties for just having Rinaldo on his jersey" type of calls.
"I was looking for that great jazz note that destroyed the walls of Jericho." - The Clash, The Sound Of Sinners
johnk5150

Post by johnk5150 »

http://www.chicagonow.com/red-light-dis ... for-hawks/

Hawks nation is angry.

(Most of) the hockey world is angry. Yesterday on the 670 The Score, the common theme of the callers was “revenge.” What Raffi Torres did is inexcusable…especially for a guy with such a record of dirty play and outright disregard for his opponents or their well being. He’s a bad guy, and I have (some) faith that Brendan Shanahan will bring down the hammer on this punk.

The Blackhawks would be wise to leave revenge to the powers that be. Not only is violence, physicality, and goonery not their game, but they can’t afford to get in to an “eye for an eye” situation. If Brandon Bollig runs Shane Doan, maybe Keith Yandle runs Patrick Kane. If Brent Seabrook runs Keith Yandle, then maybe Paul Bissonnette runs Jonathan Toews. Then what? Where does that leave your franchise? No one knows the severity of Marian Hossa’s injury. The news, so far, seems to be better than expected. Who knows how many big hits Jonathan Toews can absorb before he needs to consider calling it quits?

The risk / reward of retaliation is simply not worth it.

The best way to punish the Phoenix Coyotes is to send them to the golf course…not the hospital. The Hawks, with or without Hossa, are a good enough team to win the series. Yes, it looks bleak now, but I doubt the Coyotes can waltz into the United Center and take away two wins. Thursday night, I expect a better response from the men in the Indian Head.

Many fans were saying “Win it for Hossa!” last night. Well, this isn’t Hollywood. Unless you’ve been through it, you can’t imagine the emotions that run through your head when you see a teammate seriously injured. I had the misfortune of watching my best friend’s football career disappear in an instant when he dislocated his knee in a football game vs De La Salle. Like that…a Division 1 recruit would never play again.

With some time to heal mentally and physically, and the opportunity to play with a full lineup, the Hawks should win Thursday. If they don't, it's going to be mighty difficult to come back. Nearly as difficult as it would be to see Torres skate in the next round. Hopefully, Hawks fans don't have to face either of those nightmare scenarios.
He's like the Liberace of bass & pot.

$tevil
alecjonsludge
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by alecjonsludge »

johnk5150 wrote:http://www.chicagonow.com/red-light-dis ... for-hawks/

Hawks nation is angry.

(Most of) the hockey world is angry. Yesterday on the 670 The Score, the common theme of the callers was “revenge.” What Raffi Torres did is inexcusable…especially for a guy with such a record of dirty play and outright disregard for his opponents or their well being. He’s a bad guy, and I have (some) faith that Brendan Shanahan will bring down the hammer on this punk.

The Blackhawks would be wise to leave revenge to the powers that be. Not only is violence, physicality, and goonery not their game, but they can’t afford to get in to an “eye for an eye” situation. If Brandon Bollig runs Shane Doan, maybe Keith Yandle runs Patrick Kane. If Brent Seabrook runs Keith Yandle, then maybe Paul Bissonnette runs Jonathan Toews. Then what? Where does that leave your franchise? No one knows the severity of Marian Hossa’s injury. The news, so far, seems to be better than expected. Who knows how many big hits Jonathan Toews can absorb before he needs to consider calling it quits?

The risk / reward of retaliation is simply not worth it.

The best way to punish the Phoenix Coyotes is to send them to the golf course…not the hospital. The Hawks, with or without Hossa, are a good enough team to win the series. Yes, it looks bleak now, but I doubt the Coyotes can waltz into the United Center and take away two wins. Thursday night, I expect a better response from the men in the Indian Head.

Many fans were saying “Win it for Hossa!” last night. Well, this isn’t Hollywood. Unless you’ve been through it, you can’t imagine the emotions that run through your head when you see a teammate seriously injured. I had the misfortune of watching my best friend’s football career disappear in an instant when he dislocated his knee in a football game vs De La Salle. Like that…a Division 1 recruit would never play again.

With some time to heal mentally and physically, and the opportunity to play with a full lineup, the Hawks should win Thursday. If they don't, it's going to be mighty difficult to come back. Nearly as difficult as it would be to see Torres skate in the next round. Hopefully, Hawks fans don't have to face either of those nightmare scenarios.

I direct this question at you John,as well as Hawks nation;
Where was this outrage when Shaw hit Smith?...when Seabrook elbowed Sedin into submission? It's only a problem when it happens to your team.Homer/casual fans are the worst.
Tommy
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Tommy »

As a fan of neither team....

Smith milked the shit out of that hit. Shaw's hit wasn't intentional. The 3 game suspension was outlandish.
alecjonsludge

Post by alecjonsludge »

After the Lucic/Miller incident,GM's told Shanny straight up at their winter meetings that he blew it by not suspending Lucic. Goalies are not fair game,regardless if they're playing the puck.Shanny got the memo,as did all players who were also informed of this after said meetings.

Regardless of whether Smith milked it or not,and I'm not entirely sure he wasn't, contact was made with the head. People can't have it both ways. If you're going to be outraged over illegal hits,then you have to be upset with Shaw.

Was 3 games too much? Possibly,but as I've stated time and again,there is no rhyme nor reason to suspensions,especially during playoffs,other than star players get a pass.Shaw,while awesome in that Blackhawks Christmas CD commercial,is far from a star. Doesn't make it right,but it is what it is.

Look for Torres to get a lot more,way more,than 3 games.His hit was more brutal and the optics/results warrant as much.
Tommy
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Tommy »

That's where I disagree. The result should have no bearing on the suspension. Hagelin got 3 games because he hit a star player with concussion problems. There's no way he gets 3 if it's on a player who comes back on the ice 5 minutes later. Shanahan is making sure the NHL looks like a joke.
alecjonsludge

Post by alecjonsludge »

Tommy wrote:That's where I disagree. The result should have no bearing on the suspension. Hagelin got 3 games because he hit a star player with concussion problems. There's no way he gets 3 if it's on a player who comes back on the ice 5 minutes later. Shanahan is making sure the NHL looks like a joke.
I don't disagree with you,illegal hits should warrant suspensions regardless of the optics and outlying factors. My mention of optics/results was just stating how the League works.

Regarding: Hagelin
He'd probably get a game under the scenario you describe.if he were somewhat a star(read:Weber) he'd end up with a fine.

I'll do you one better,no way McDonagh or Staal gets suspended 3 games for the same hit on Alfie. 1 game,but not 3.

Regardless,the Senators are without a key cog for more than 3 games and are paying the biggest price.

None of it makes any sense,but it's the way it's always been. But for as often as the League gets it wrong,I'm not upset when they actually do suspend someone(Shaw,Hagelin) for head shots.

Read an article today that suggested when a player is suspended,his team should have to dress one less player for the duration of the suspension,thus in fact,penalizing the team as well as the player.Not sure of the logistics of such an idea,but on the surface it would make a GM think twice about employing a repeat offender such as Torres.
Tommy
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Tommy »

If that were to happen the league should just go ahead and name the Cup winner. They would have too much of an effect on the outcomes.

IMO, certain on-ice penalties should be something standard and nuts, like 10 games for a boarding major.
alecjonsludge

Post by alecjonsludge »

I concur,however if the League were to implement such a strategy the NHLPA would be up in arms,worried about loss salaries and such.On top off that,some GM's would never vote for such a system(Burke). Until both sides,players and management,take it serious,it will continue.
Royal Dudeness
Headlining Clubs

Post by Royal Dudeness »

Man, I need to post here more often.

The Canucks/Kings series is going at least 6.

If the Canucks get a few powerplay's on Sunday, with Daniel's help, they have it.

I think they have a hope in hell
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

Royal Dudeness wrote:Man, I need to post here more often.
Just keep your mancrush of Burrows to yourself.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Royal Dudeness wrote:Man, I need to post here more often.

The Canucks/Kings series is going at least 6.

If the Canucks get a few powerplay's on Sunday, with Daniel's help, they have it.

I think they have a hope in hell
Too much to climb for the Canucks I'm afraid. With Quick and that defense I don't see Canucks winning four in a row.

Pittsburgh have a better chance of over turning their deficit, due to neither team having a goalie.

Holtby been the surprise of the playoffs so far for me. Another great game for him today.

Cats suffered a heavy loss, but most people thought they would be swept. They've already achieved more than expected, and the blocks are in place for a good franchise in the future years. And I still think they could win the series.
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
John Simon Ritchie

So now one of The Flyers' most solid defenseman (Grossman) is out with a concussion due to a cheap, illegal (and uncalled) elbow to the head at the hands of Shittsburgh's Malkin in Game 4. And don't forget the other cheap shot he got to the head by Kennedy too around the same time (also uncalled) Seriously...f*ck these clowns.

Looks like Bryz got injured or has been hiding an injury as well and might not see ice time Friday.
Greeeeat. At least BOB loves playing in Shittsburgh. :wink:
Last edited by John Simon Ritchie on Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I was looking for that great jazz note that destroyed the walls of Jericho." - The Clash, The Sound Of Sinners
John Simon Ritchie

pieceofme wrote:Pittsburgh have a better chance of over turning their deficit, due to neither team having a goalie.
Ain't gonna happen. The season series should prove that, we had the same goalies then. :wink:

Edited to add: Then again, maybe if they injure enough of our guys with cheap shots.... :?
Aquanetsuperhold
Headlining Clubs

Well. That was disappointing. Great job by the Cap's goalie.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

John Simon Ritchie wrote:
pieceofme wrote:Pittsburgh have a better chance of over turning their deficit, due to neither team having a goalie.
Ain't gonna happen. The season series should prove that, we had the same goalies then. :wink:

Edited to add: Then again, maybe if they injure enough of our guys with cheap shots.... :?
No me neither. Just more of a chance than Vancouver coming back. Couldn't stand seeing Cindy Crosby and Pittburgh winning that series. So go Philly!
Only thing worse would be cheap shot Lucic winning anther Stanley Cup.

edit man do Chicago leave it late to tie games.

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Wow. Go Phoenix.

pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Tommy wrote:Teams/logos/laundry aside....

Doesn't this time of year make you feel bad for people who don't watch hockey? Best playoffs and intensity of the 4 majors and college sports bar none, no comparison.

"I hate hockey." Well, then there's a void in your soul.
I concur.

It really is the best time of the sporting year.

Mazerati

Post by Mazerati »

after the Penguins lost game 3..i saw that they went up from being the favorite at the start of series to win the East to 30-1 so i figured i would take a chance and bet a few bucks on them...as soon as they won game 4 the odds went down to 10-1 lol....it's still a longshot but 30-1 was worth the risk
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

Mazerati wrote:after the Penguins lost game 3..i saw that they went up from being the favorite at the start of series to win the East to 30-1 so i figured i would take a chance and bet a few bucks on them...as soon as they won game 4 the odds went down to 10-1 lol....it's still a longshot but 30-1 was worth the risk

Don't they have a gambling forum you can talk about this stupid shit in?
Mazerati

Post by Mazerati »

NeverSurrender wrote:
Mazerati wrote:after the Penguins lost game 3..i saw that they went up from being the favorite at the start of series to win the East to 30-1 so i figured i would take a chance and bet a few bucks on them...as soon as they won game 4 the odds went down to 10-1 lol....it's still a longshot but 30-1 was worth the risk

Don't they have a gambling forum you can talk about this stupid shit in?
why don't you print out my post and then shove it up your ass
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

Oh, good one. maybe you're too dumb to realize nobody else in this thread ever talks about gambling. take your addicted to gambling ass to some other board where people are maxing out their credit cards to hope yet again they can pull out of their funk. Even though none of them will.

This is for fans.
Mazerati

Post by Mazerati »

NeverSurrender wrote:Oh, good one. maybe you're too dumb to realize nobody else in this thread ever talks about gambling. take your addicted to gambling ass to some other board where people are maxing out their credit cards to hope yet again they can pull out of their funk. Even though none of them will.

This is for fans.
hah another puss too afraid to lose his welfare money..gotcha
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

Except fopr the welfare part, exactly right. You can't beat them , and we all know how far behind you must be. You're betting on parlays in the NHL playoffs. Only the the truly desperate (and addicted) go there.

First person ever foed except sludgergirl. Take care.