The official NHL thread

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Re: The official NHL thread

Post by WOLF »

My eight year old son scored the shootout winner in his tournament game tonight, and was player of the game. Played an awesome defensive game too!

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Now back to the NHL talk...
Facedown
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by Facedown »

So, how many games will Thorton (deservedly so) get?
bonedog wrote:I let Facedown get the better of me
bonedog wrote:My first kid will be born when I am 47.
bonedog wrote:I suck at sludging.
Aerosmith87
Opening Act in Arenas

Post by Aerosmith87 »

WOLF wrote:My eight year old son scored the shootout winner in his tournament game tonight, and was player of the game. Played an awesome defensive game too!

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Now back to the NHL talk...
Scored in a shootout AND played a good defensive game? I'm going to give Lou Lamoriello a call now...sounds like the Devils need him.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Facedown wrote:So, how many games will Thorton (deservedly so) get?
They could throw the book at him and go 20, but I think it will be around 12, 15 max including the games he's already missed.

The league has to send a message that it's OK to give a good clean hit and not have to fight afterwards - though I suppose you can debate if Orpik's hit on Eriksson was clean given the outcome. I'm sick of hearing "guys need to answer the bell", merely for doling out a good body check.

I'm glad Neal got suspended as well, because that was REALLY cheap, dirty, and bush league, and he wasn't at all apologetic. He could have got more and I'd be happy with it.
AliceManson
Headlining Clubs

Post by AliceManson »

WOLF wrote: The league has to send a message that it's OK to give a good clean hit and not have to fight afterwards - though I suppose you can debate if Orpik's hit on Eriksson was clean given the outcome. I'm sick of hearing "guys need to answer the bell", merely for doling out a good body check.
It isn't debatable whether Orpik's hit was clean or legal, regardless of the outcome. It was a clean, legal hit. Neal's stunt is a different story.
EatTheGlass wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:26 am I'd bet my house that Grohl shuts the Foos down now
Nibbler wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 8:33 pm Looks like Alex has shitcanned the Van Hagar remasters.
pieceofme
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by pieceofme »

Facedown wrote:So, how many games will Thorton (deservedly so) get?
As Wolf said, between 12 and 15.
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
grizzly31
Signed One Album Deal on Indy Label

Post by grizzly31 »

Facedown

Post by Facedown »

I say this as a Bruins fan, that seems a bit much.
18 games including the three he missed.
My reason for saying it was too much is going by the suspension of Neal.
It was included in the decision that he had priors and it netted him 5 games.
I myself was surprised to find out that before the Pens game, Thorton had been suspended a grand total of 0 times with a total of around 925 career PIM and had received 0 match penalties before that game.
Just venting though. If that's what they think he deserved, so be it.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Facedown wrote:I say this as a Bruins fan, that seems a bit much.
18 games including the three he missed.
My reason for saying it was too much is going by the suspension of Neal.
It was included in the decision that he had priors and it netted him 5 games.
I myself was surprised to find out that before the Pens game, Thorton had been suspended a grand total of 0 times with a total of around 925 career PIM and had received 0 match penalties before that game.
Just venting though. If that's what they think he deserved, so be it.
I think it's 15 INCLUDING the 3 he's missed, so 12 more.

It's what I expected. This is the start of the NHL sending a message that if a guys doesn't want to fight, you can't make him. Though I will say, if you want to play on the edge, you should be willing to drop them every now and then.

Agreed that Neal should have got more, but that doesn't mean Thornton should have got less. In any case, it's not a huge blow to the Bruins, even though they have injury woes they can use the roster spot to look at a younger player. Thornton has lost effectiveness over the last two years.
John Simon Ritchie

Post by John Simon Ritchie »

WOLF wrote:...if you want to play on the edge, you should be willing to drop them every now and then.

Agreed that Neal should have got more, but that doesn't mean Thornton should have got less.
Agreed and agreed.
"I was looking for that great jazz note that destroyed the walls of Jericho." - The Clash, The Sound Of Sinners
Facedown

Post by Facedown »

WOLF wrote:I think it's 15 INCLUDING the 3 he's missed, so 12 more.
A local station just said the same thing so I guess you're right.
alecjonsludge
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by alecjonsludge »

Lucic is "done" with his hometown.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/brui ... bar-fight/

Milan Lucic has admitted to being involved in an altercation outside of a bar in Vancouver on Saturday night.

The Boston Bruins forward and Vancouver native said he was “blowing off steam” after Saturday’s 6-2 loss in his Vancouver before he was struck several times by an unprovoked attacker.

A video surfaced on YouTube Sunday morning in which it appeared Lucic was fighting with another man on a sidewalk before the brawl was broken up by police.
Lucic spoke with the media Monday in Boston where he proceeded to rip his hometown.

“Other than being at Rogers Arena, you’ll never see me in downtown Vancouver again,” Lucic said via Joe Haggerty on Monday. “I’m done trying to defend city I’m from.”
Royal Dudeness
Headlining Clubs

Post by Royal Dudeness »

alecjonsludge wrote:Lucic is "done" with his hometown.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/brui ... bar-fight/

Milan Lucic has admitted to being involved in an altercation outside of a bar in Vancouver on Saturday night.

The Boston Bruins forward and Vancouver native said he was “blowing off steam” after Saturday’s 6-2 loss in his Vancouver before he was struck several times by an unprovoked attacker.

A video surfaced on YouTube Sunday morning in which it appeared Lucic was fighting with another man on a sidewalk before the brawl was broken up by police.
Lucic spoke with the media Monday in Boston where he proceeded to rip his hometown.

“Other than being at Rogers Arena, you’ll never see me in downtown Vancouver again,” Lucic said via Joe Haggerty on Monday. “I’m done trying to defend city I’m from.”

Too much weird hockey related shit happens in my town. What happened to Lucic is a disgrace. People have harassed his family over hockey, which at the end of the day is just a game.

Canucks fans should be frustrated at Vancouver management for not drafting this awesome player
Mazerati

Post by Mazerati »

this rookie goalie for the LA Kings Martin Jones is unreal...the Kings are up right now 4-0 over San Jose in the 3rd period so Jones record after this game will be 7-0 with only 5 goals allowed..i saw the first game he played in the NHL against Anaheim and the game went in a 10 round shootout and he stopped all 10! ..funny thing is that i just read an article saying he will probably go back down when Quick comes back but i don't know about that
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Mazerati wrote:this rookie goalie for the LA Kings Martin Jones is unreal...the Kings are up right now 4-0 over San Jose in the 3rd period so Jones record after this game will be 7-0 with only 5 goals allowed..i saw the first game he played in the NHL against Anaheim and the game went in a 10 round shootout and he stopped all 10! ..funny thing is that i just read an article saying he will probably go back down when Quick comes back but i don't know about that
He pretty much has to. Quick is obviously number 1, Scrivens would have to clear waivers to be sent to the minors and he would surely be claimed and the Kings would lose him for nothing. Jones can still go up and down without clearing waivers so its all the Kings can do, unless they carry three goalies, which would mean a skater needs to be cut from the roster. Not to mention, young goalies need to play, a lot.

I wouldn't be surprised if this makes Scrivens trade bait though...
WhiteHouseSubsAC

Post by WhiteHouseSubsAC »

If you're going to score a GW goal you might as well make it as ridiculous as possible:

HeavyMetalZombie666 wrote:Of course your asshole is going to be sore when you volunteer for an asspounding and not set any boundaries at all.
John Simon Ritchie

Post by John Simon Ritchie »

WhiteHouseSubsAC wrote:If you're going to score a GW goal you might as well make it as ridiculous as possible:

Great game last night. Hopefully Giroux is getting on track again.
"I was looking for that great jazz note that destroyed the walls of Jericho." - The Clash, The Sound Of Sinners
ralphwiggumsdealer

Post by ralphwiggumsdealer »

Moggio wrote:
jpf wrote:Do you realize how stupid you are?
Do you?
Royal Dudeness
Headlining Clubs

Post by Royal Dudeness »

Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

I’m Brendan Shanahan of the North Pole’s Department of Gift Decisions. Recently, an incident occurred involving Andy, age 11, who has requested
—via handwritten letter to Santa Claus
—the gift of an iPhone 5c. At 3:23 p.m. on the second day of Christmas break, Andy stole and ate the last Oreo cookie in his house. As the video shows, Andy’s younger sister, Clara, is in clear possession of the cookie and is carrying it through the kitchen, unaware of the approaching threat. Andy pivots and pursues his sister, aiming to cut her off before she enters the living room. In an attempt to gain an advantageous position, Andy lunges toward Clara from behind, making her left arm the principal point of contact. This action is in clear violation of Family Rule 32.74, which states: – Don’t touch your sister.

Clutching his sister’s arm, Andy employs his free right hand to snatch away the cookie. He subsequently uses his superior height advantage to raise the Oreo out of the reach of Clara, a clear violation of the recently instituted Section 6.4 edict on taunting—and a borderline contravention of Rule 44.17, which states: – Don’t play with your food.

This incident cannot be described as a snack-craving that went bad. Nor do we consider it a spontaneous reaction to a sibling’s provocation. Rather, it is our view that this was a deliberate act of retribution for an incident that occurred earlier in the day: the 173-minute period during which Clara played the same Miley Cyrus song on repeat.

Andy’s decision to consume the cookie in a single bite is admittedly (though barely) within the parameters of acceptable behavior. But chewing with his mouth wide open clearly exacerbated the emotional impact of the incident. Taken as a whole, we at the North Pole conclude that Andy’s actions fit the description of: “Naughty.” We have also taken into consideration that although Clara temporarily held it together after losing possession of the cookie, she eventually broke down in tears, interrupting Daddy’s nap. This outburst is a clear violation of Family Rule 71.66, which states: – Any noise exceeding 43.5 decibels, when Daddy a) has his eyes closed, and b) is in a horizontal position on the couch, is not permitted.

It is important to note that just four days earlier, Andy was disciplined for an incident involving his sister Ella and her pet hamster. The altercation transpired in the second-floor hallway. Under the supervision of Ella and her three friends, Mr. Giggles had been removed from his cage and placed inside his plastic exercise ball. At 12:09 p.m., the ball and its rodent occupant were launched down the stairs after coming into contact with Andy’s right foot. Ella and two of her friends report witnessing a “distinct kicking motion.”

The Department of Gift Decisions rejected Andy’s claim that this action was “an accident” and agreed with Ella that the incident left Mr. Giggles “really freaked out and acting kind of weird now.” For his behaviour, Andy was assessed a 10-minute time out—which on appeal was reduced to seven minutes and a half-hearted apology. Mr. Giggles remains under the observation of a veterinarian and has yet to return to plastic-ball action.

To summarize:
• Andy grabbed his sister’s left arm.
• He stole and ate the last Oreo cookie—and did so in a taunting and pretty gross manner.
• Daddy totally needed that nap. You people have no idea the kind of pressure that man is under.

We accept Andy’s contention that the Oreo cookie was “delicious” and that his little sister can at times be “a bit of a crybaby.” However, this does not excuse his actions. The North Pole’s Department of Gift Decisions has decided to suspend Andy’s request for an iPhone 5c for one year.
johnk5150

Post by johnk5150 »

Man. The west is loaded.
He's like the Liberace of bass & pot.

$tevil
Lardbucket
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Lardbucket »

Kid-Wicked wrote:I’m Brendan Shanahan of the North Pole’s Department of Gift Decisions. Recently, an incident occurred involving Andy, age 11, who has requested
—via handwritten letter to Santa Claus
—the gift of an iPhone 5c. At 3:23 p.m. on the second day of Christmas break, Andy stole and ate the last Oreo cookie in his house. As the video shows, Andy’s younger sister, Clara, is in clear possession of the cookie and is carrying it through the kitchen, unaware of the approaching threat. Andy pivots and pursues his sister, aiming to cut her off before she enters the living room. In an attempt to gain an advantageous position, Andy lunges toward Clara from behind, making her left arm the principal point of contact. This action is in clear violation of Family Rule 32.74, which states: – Don’t touch your sister.

Clutching his sister’s arm, Andy employs his free right hand to snatch away the cookie. He subsequently uses his superior height advantage to raise the Oreo out of the reach of Clara, a clear violation of the recently instituted Section 6.4 edict on taunting—and a borderline contravention of Rule 44.17, which states: – Don’t play with your food.

This incident cannot be described as a snack-craving that went bad. Nor do we consider it a spontaneous reaction to a sibling’s provocation. Rather, it is our view that this was a deliberate act of retribution for an incident that occurred earlier in the day: the 173-minute period during which Clara played the same Miley Cyrus song on repeat.

Andy’s decision to consume the cookie in a single bite is admittedly (though barely) within the parameters of acceptable behavior. But chewing with his mouth wide open clearly exacerbated the emotional impact of the incident. Taken as a whole, we at the North Pole conclude that Andy’s actions fit the description of: “Naughty.” We have also taken into consideration that although Clara temporarily held it together after losing possession of the cookie, she eventually broke down in tears, interrupting Daddy’s nap. This outburst is a clear violation of Family Rule 71.66, which states: – Any noise exceeding 43.5 decibels, when Daddy a) has his eyes closed, and b) is in a horizontal position on the couch, is not permitted.

It is important to note that just four days earlier, Andy was disciplined for an incident involving his sister Ella and her pet hamster. The altercation transpired in the second-floor hallway. Under the supervision of Ella and her three friends, Mr. Giggles had been removed from his cage and placed inside his plastic exercise ball. At 12:09 p.m., the ball and its rodent occupant were launched down the stairs after coming into contact with Andy’s right foot. Ella and two of her friends report witnessing a “distinct kicking motion.”

The Department of Gift Decisions rejected Andy’s claim that this action was “an accident” and agreed with Ella that the incident left Mr. Giggles “really freaked out and acting kind of weird now.” For his behaviour, Andy was assessed a 10-minute time out—which on appeal was reduced to seven minutes and a half-hearted apology. Mr. Giggles remains under the observation of a veterinarian and has yet to return to plastic-ball action.

To summarize:
• Andy grabbed his sister’s left arm.
• He stole and ate the last Oreo cookie—and did so in a taunting and pretty gross manner.
• Daddy totally needed that nap. You people have no idea the kind of pressure that man is under.

We accept Andy’s contention that the Oreo cookie was “delicious” and that his little sister can at times be “a bit of a crybaby.” However, this does not excuse his actions. The North Pole’s Department of Gift Decisions has decided to suspend Andy’s request for an iPhone 5c for one year.
:lol:
I read that in Shanahan's voice in my head. Very well-played!
A proud Steve Jones nutswinger since 1977.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

The US has named their Olympic roster:

FORWARDS: Parise, Callahan, Brown, JVR, Kesler, Backes, Pavelski, Stastny, Stepan, Kane, Kessel, Pacioretty, Wheeler, Oshie.

DEFENSEMEN: Suter, Martin, McDonagh, Faulk, Fowler, Shattenkirk, Orpik, Carlson.

GOALIES: Miller, Quick, Howard.

Misses, IMO: Ben Bishop? Bobby Ryan? Dustin Byfuglien? Keith Yande? Kyle Okposo? Jack Johnson? Erik Johnson? Andy Greene? Jason Pominville?

Personally, I HATE their defence after Suter, Shattenkirk, and McDonaugh. Ben Bishop is also having a GREAT year, and deserves to be at least the #3 goalie, if for no other reason but to groom him for the future. Also, Bobby Ryan has scored about as many goals the last few years as any US born player. They couldn't find room for him?

Orpik, Martin, Fowler, maybe even Faulk and Carlson are WTF choices for me. A couple of the veteran forwards have not been so great this year either. They are there for "leadership", but I think the US may have cost themselves a medal with these selections.
Aerosmith87
Opening Act in Arenas

Post by Aerosmith87 »

Would've liked to see Andy Greene even considered, but what can ya do
alecjonsludge

Post by alecjonsludge »

Ben Bishop's GM in Tampa may be partly the reason why he wasn't selected.A lot of "ifs" (if Quick or Miller faultered/got hurt,if the U.S. met Canada in the elimination round), but U.S. brass might not have wanted to risk having a goalie that Yzerman knows inside and out.

IMO, The U.S brass is making the same mistake Gretzky and his crew made in 2006 for Canada, rewarding certain players for their service 4 years prior. --I'm an Orpik fan,but his lack of foot speed will be a determent on international ice.His style of play will also have the U.S shorthanded frequently. I also don't think Miller deserved inclusion. He's had a small uptick in play as of late, but he's been in decline the past 2+years , not to mention he can poison a dressing room with his attitude.
alecjonsludge

Post by alecjonsludge »

http://nesn.com/2014/01/usa-hockey-acci ... an-kesler/

The United States hockey team came very close to adding a veteran presence to their roster on Wednesday when they accidentally invited a 67-year-old Canadian to join their squad.

Before Team USA announced its Olympic roster at the Winter Games, they had sent text messages to the group of players in the mix, letting them know that they would be contacted if they made the team. One lucky man in Toronto presumably thought his childhood dreams were coming true, though, when he received a message intended for Vancouver Canucks forward Ryan Kesler, informing him that he would be representing the United States in Sochi.

Apparently, Kesler had changed his phone number, but the new owner of his digits wasn’t about to let his age or citizenship get in the way of jumping at the offer that doesn’t come around often.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

A fascinating read on how the US Olympic team was selected:

http://espn.go.com/olympics/hockey/stor ... -was-named

Some good zingers from Brian Burke here.
UtahRatt
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by UtahRatt »

alecjonsludge wrote:http://nesn.com/2014/01/usa-hockey-acci ... an-kesler/

The United States hockey team came very close to adding a veteran presence to their roster on Wednesday when they accidentally invited a 67-year-old Canadian to join their squad.

Before Team USA announced its Olympic roster at the Winter Games, they had sent text messages to the group of players in the mix, letting them know that they would be contacted if they made the team. One lucky man in Toronto presumably thought his childhood dreams were coming true, though, when he received a message intended for Vancouver Canucks forward Ryan Kesler, informing him that he would be representing the United States in Sochi.

Apparently, Kesler had changed his phone number, but the new owner of his digits wasn’t about to let his age or citizenship get in the way of jumping at the offer that doesn’t come around often.

They should give that dude a trip to the games.
poizond13 wrote:I have been very bummed out, sad and shocked for most of the night
Artemis2085 wrote:so I blurt out "I love you Paul!
Atomicpunk18 wrote:You see Black Crowes music has gotten me laid multiple times.
chungasrevenge

Post by chungasrevenge »

WOLF wrote:A fascinating read on how the US Olympic team was selected:

Burke's awesome. I've run into him many times around the Garden and he's just a great guy.

Nice to see that level of talent coming from the US, but I hate half the team. I can't route for these people. Pacioretty, Kessel, Kane, Kesler, Miller, Van Riemsdyk. I feel sick.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

chungasrevenge wrote:
WOLF wrote:A fascinating read on how the US Olympic team was selected:

Burke's awesome. I've run into him many times around the Garden and he's just a great guy.

Nice to see that level of talent coming from the US, but I hate half the team. I can't route for these people. Pacioretty, Kessel, Kane, Kesler, Miller, Van Riemsdyk. I feel sick.
Cheer for Finland. With Renne out, Rask is the surefire #1. Or Chara's Slovaks!