The official NHL thread

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

John Simon Ritchie
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Re: The official NHL thread

Post by John Simon Ritchie »

Frett_Bored wrote:
Mazerati wrote:
Frett_Bored wrote:Jackets just made it 6 in a row, and are in the thick of the playoff hunt.

Six out of the next seven are at home, too. I'll take it.
yup! this is the way i thought they would play all year....after a slow start and some injuries they are rolling now!
Make it a franchise record seven in a row!
Cool. As long as The Jackets have Bob on their roster, I'll root for them (unless they're playing The Flyers, of course) :wink:
"I was looking for that great jazz note that destroyed the walls of Jericho." - The Clash, The Sound Of Sinners
Frett_Bored
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Frett_Bored »

John Simon Ritchie wrote:
Cool. As long as The Jackets have Bob on their roster, I'll root for them (unless they're playing The Flyers, of course) :wink:
Philly is in town tomorrow for franchise game #1,000
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

You guys see the Stadium Series jerseys?

https://www.google.ca/search?q=nhl+stad ... B600%3B349

Pens - like it, but they played it safe - 7/10
Hawks - same - played it safe - 7/10
Rangers - pretty safe also - 7/10
Devils - went retro, meh - 6/10
Isles - hate it; does any team have a worse history with jersey designs - 5/10
Ducks - not bad if you like orange - 6/10
Kings - my favorite of the bunch - 9/10
Gibsonite
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Gibsonite »

With a little tweaking the Isles could have just changed their jersey to this one and gotten it overwith already.

:lol:
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Gibsonite wrote:With a little tweaking the Isles could have just changed their jersey to this one and gotten it overwith already.

Nah - that'll be the Panthers' jersey, in a couple of years, when the new building is ready in Quebec City.
Frett_Bored

Post by Frett_Bored »

Jackets take down the Flyers for 8 in a row.

Buffalo visits on Saturday. I'll probably be there.
John Simon Ritchie

Post by John Simon Ritchie »

Frett_Bored wrote:Jackets take down the Flyers for 8 in a row.

Buffalo visits on Saturday. I'll probably be there.
Goddamn the Flyers need some fucking heart...pathetic.
"I was looking for that great jazz note that destroyed the walls of Jericho." - The Clash, The Sound Of Sinners
alecjonsludge
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by alecjonsludge »

Hate to say I told you so,futonsrf,but, I told you so.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=701673

Sellouts be damned, opposing teams' brass hated the travel as did the Jets own brass,who found it difficult to go check out a prospect.As well, it was difficult to call a guy up for a game on short notice.

St.Johns blew it when they didn't support Major Junior. Williams can blow hot air about getting another affiliation and he just might, but they'll leave within 5 years as well.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

WOLF wrote:
Gibsonite wrote:With a little tweaking the Isles could have just changed their jersey to this one and gotten it overwith already.

Nah - that'll be the Panthers' jersey, in a couple of years, when the new building is ready in Quebec City.
How many times do we have to do this. They are not moving in the foreseeable future. Certainly not in two years.

You're welcome.
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
Aerosmith87
Opening Act in Arenas

Post by Aerosmith87 »

Rangers are being kicked out in 10 years. Seattle Park Rangers works.
Gibsonite
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Gibsonite »

pieceofme wrote:
How many times do we have to do this. They are not moving in the foreseeable future. Certainly not in two years.

You're welcome.
http://www.sportressofblogitude.com/201 ... home-game/
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Gibsonite wrote:
pieceofme wrote:

You're welcome.
1.) Jeffery Loria wasn't going to move the Expos either, but he found a way to pull a fast one and wind up with a team in Florida, with most of the Expos front office and farm system, while MLB wound up owning the Expos.

2.) There isn't enough fan interest for two teams in Florida, and Tampa is clearly the more successful franchise.

Maybe not two years, maybe 5, but the Florida Panthers will cease to exist at some point in the foreseeable future. It's as painfully obvious as it was in Atlanta.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

WOLF wrote:
Gibsonite wrote:
pieceofme wrote:

You're welcome.
1.) Jeffery Loria wasn't going to move the Expos either, but he found a way to pull a fast one and wind up with a team in Florida, with most of the Expos front office and farm system, while MLB wound up owning the Expos.

2.) There isn't enough fan interest for two teams in Florida, and Tampa is clearly the more successful franchise.

Maybe not two years, maybe 5, but the Florida Panthers will cease to exist at some point in the foreseeable future. It's as painfully obvious as it was in Atlanta.
You do realise the Florida Panthers have a lease with the arena until 2028. So another 14 years. After that maybe. So no, not two years, five year, or ten years.

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
Gibsonite
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Gibsonite »

pieceofme wrote:
You do realise the Florida Panthers have a lease with the arena until 2028. So another 14 years. After that maybe. So no, not two years, five year, or ten years.
From 2009...

Sorry Hamilton,the Thrashers aren't moving anywhere

http://www.examiner.com/article/sorry-h ... g-anywhere

“There is no truth to it,” Waddell said. “We are not a movable franchise. I have talked to our owners, and no one has had contact with any group. I’ve been through this so many times, but the truth is there are too many obstacles.”

""I have spoken to our owners again today on this subject," Waddell added. "The Atlanta Thrashers hockey club is a vital part of the Atlanta area. We also own the Atlanta Hawks and have controlling interest in a 99-year lease with Philips Arena. Our franchise is not available to be moved, we will continue to be part of this community for many, many years."

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Gibsonite wrote:
pieceofme wrote:
From 2009...

“There is no truth to it,” Waddell said. “We are not a movable franchise. I have talked to our owners, and no one has had contact with any group. I’ve been through this so many times, but the truth is there are too many obstacles.”

""I have spoken to our owners again today on this subject," Waddell added. "The Atlanta Thrashers hockey club is a vital part of the Atlanta area. We also own the Atlanta Hawks and have controlling interest in a 99-year lease with Philips Arena. Our franchise is not available to be moved, we will continue to be part of this community for many, many years."

Exactly - everything is negotiable; every contract is breakable.

The Panthers have NO fan base. The empty seats are embarrassing to a pro sports league. They lobby the league, year after year, to make sure Montreal, Toronto, Boston, New York, Detroit games are played at times of year when northerners are in Florida so they can sell some tickets.

Trust me, I know the pain of losing a beloved franchise. The death of the Expos killed me. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. However, I couldn't imagine the Panthers existing in a decade, especially as the salary cap, and floor, rises. Far more revenue can be generated elsewhere.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

WOLF wrote:
Gibsonite wrote:
pieceofme wrote:
From 2009...

Exactly - everything is negotiable; every contract is breakable.

The Panthers have NO fan base. The empty seats are embarrassing to a pro sports league. They lobby the league, year after year, to make sure Montreal, Toronto, Boston, New York, Detroit games are played at times of year when northerners are in Florida so they can sell some tickets.

Trust me, I know the pain of losing a beloved franchise. The death of the Expos killed me. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. However, I couldn't imagine the Panthers existing in a decade, especially as the salary cap, and floor, rises. Far more revenue can be generated elsewhere.
Also, the Panthers might not be profitable, but the parent company is. And they don't have the lowest attendance in the league! The game that the other poster linked to was the Ottawa game which was embarrassing. But thats not every game. When they put a winning product on the ice hopefully things will improve. Surely you can remember the issues Penguins and the Blackhawks had. Christ the Blackhawks are an original 6 team and they were struggling for years.

And we've got a new owner who is going to spend. Of course until it happens I will be skeptical!

The Panthers are moving nowhere in the near future.

Frett_Bored

Post by Frett_Bored »

Bob lets in two shorthanded goals and the Jackets fall to fucking Buffalo.
Royal Dudeness
Headlining Clubs

Post by Royal Dudeness »

Pieceofme, correct me if I'm wrong, but you're from the UK and now you live in my neck of the woods Vancouver. Why would you even give a shit if Florida moved? If they did move, why not just support them where they went?
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Frett_Bored wrote:Bob lets in two shorthanded goals and the Jackets fall to fucking Buffalo.
I wish my team would win 8 in a row. :lol:

And hey its better to lose to Buffalo who have no chance to make a playoff spot than a team like the Islanders or Flyers.

pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Royal Dudeness wrote:Pieceofme, correct me if I'm wrong, but you're from the UK and now you live in my neck of the woods Vancouver. Why would you even give a shit if Florida moved? If they did move, why not just support them where they went?
Florida family connection. And I like supporting the underdog (It's a British thing). And I followed the team the Nottingham Panthers when i lived there.

If they moved they would be dead to me. Hockey would be dead to me. Which considering what the team puts me through it maybe wouldn't be the worst thing. :lol:

Gibsonite
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Gibsonite »

The Panthers' owner is committed to spending money to making the team better,the problem is he wants to spend Florida taxpayers money instead of his own.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/panth ... no-really/

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/browar ... full.story
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Gibsonite wrote:The Panthers' owner is committed to spending money to making the team better,the problem is he wants to spend Florida taxpayers money instead of his own.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/panth ... no-really/

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/browar ... full.story
That's true.

Mazerati
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by Mazerati »

Frett_Bored wrote:Bob lets in two shorthanded goals and the Jackets fall to fucking Buffalo.
That was an expected letdown..tonight's game is important to see how they respond after that loss
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Mazerati wrote:
That was an expected letdown..tonight's game is important to see how they respond after that loss
Oh dear.

Mazerati
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by Mazerati »

pieceofme wrote:
Mazerati wrote:
Oh dear.
man a 2-0 lead with 8 mins left and bam its 3-2 3 minutes later...not good
johnk5150

Post by johnk5150 »

If you want to beat Crawford go high glove side. Even teams like the Jets have figured him out.
He's like the Liberace of bass & pot.

$tevil
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

johnk5150 wrote:If you want to beat Crawford go high glove side. Even teams like the Jets have figured him out.
What's his cap - $6 million right?

WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Taking my dad and son to see some kickass Junior Hockey tonight:

Halifax Mooseheads vs. Blainville/Boisbriand Armada

Two of the best teams in "the Q". I'm almost as psyched to see Jonathan Drouin live for the first time as my son is, not to mention Zach Fucale, who will be Carey Price's heir apparent in Montreal in a few years.

Good times!
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

WOLF wrote:Taking my dad and son to see some kickass Junior Hockey tonight:

Two of the best teams in "the Q". I'm almost as psyched to see Jonathan Drouin live for the first time as my son is, not to mention Zach Fucale, who will be Carey Price's heir apparent in Montreal in a few years.

Good times!
Go Mooseheads!

WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

pieceofme wrote:
WOLF wrote:Taking my dad and son to see some kickass Junior Hockey tonight:

Good times!
Go Mooseheads!
4-3 win for the Armada in a 8 round/16 shooter shootout! Both goalies were excellent, and Drouin is a magician with the puck.