The official NHL thread

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

alecjonsludge
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Re: The official NHL thread

Post by alecjonsludge »

The Florida Panthers don't want your cash,they want your trash:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck- ... --nhl.html

Move this franchise already!
johnk5150
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by johnk5150 »

pieceofme wrote:
johnk5150 wrote:If you want to beat Crawford go high glove side. Even teams like the Jets have figured him out.
What's his cap - $6 million right?
2.6. Next year it's 6.5
He's like the Liberace of bass & pot.

$tevil
Frett_Bored
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Frett_Bored »

Frett_Bored wrote:Bob lets in two shorthanded goals and the Jackets fall to fucking Buffalo.
Jackets win 8, lose 3, then win 3 including the Ducks on the road.

At LA and San Jose before the Olympic break.

I'm wondering if they're considering trading Gaborik now?
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Frett_Bored wrote:
Frett_Bored wrote:Bob lets in two shorthanded goals and the Jackets fall to fucking Buffalo.
Jackets win 8, lose 3, then win 3 including the Ducks on the road.

At LA and San Jose before the Olympic break.

I'm wondering if they're considering trading Gaborik now?
Probably. They have been better without him. And that cap, plus him being a UFA at the end of the season.
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
johnk5150

Post by johnk5150 »

That goal counts in the NHL. Russians were screwed on that call.

$tevil
Aerosmith87
Opening Act in Arenas

Post by Aerosmith87 »

johnk5150 wrote:That goal counts in the NHL. Russians were screwed on that call.
Yeah - why'd they call that off in the end? Didn't look like a high stick to me.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Feel bad for the Finns. They will have no centres left at this rate! Really hoping they would do one over Canada, but don't think they will now.

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

TJ Oshie! F'n incredible. 4 shootout goals in 6 attempts, in one game!

I think the rule is stupid, but it was an incredible display of talent and poise.

If that's the caliber of play we will see once only the big boys are left in the tournament, bring it on!
Aerosmith87
Opening Act in Arenas

Post by Aerosmith87 »

WOLF wrote:TJ Oshie! F'n incredible. 4 shootout goals in 6 attempts, in one game!

I think the rule is stupid, but it was an incredible display of talent and poise.

If that's the caliber of play we will see once only the big boys are left in the tournament, bring it on!
Glad to see Kovalchuk get shut down (at least a couple of times) :twisted:
johnk5150

Post by johnk5150 »

How many people watched and rented Miracle in the USA today?

$tevil
Frett_Bored
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Frett_Bored »

Aerosmith87 wrote:
johnk5150 wrote:That goal counts in the NHL. Russians were screwed on that call.
Yeah - why'd they call that off in the end? Didn't look like a high stick to me.
The net was dislodged (by the goalie) before the shot.
SebastianLeeDanzig
"UR GAY!" signed, Stevie

Post by SebastianLeeDanzig »

Was watching Finland vs. Canada in a sports bar with all my Finnish friends. Didn't go over so well, obviously. Didn't really check yet, but if this means they'll be able to fuck Sweden in the quarters, I'm all for it.
FullDJacket
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by FullDJacket »

So backstrom got busted for steriods? Stupid kid
Luke 16:10 "and he that is unjust in the least, is unjust also in much"
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

[quote="FullDJacket"]So backstrom got busted for steriods? Stupid kid[/quote

Actually, just allergy medication - Benedryl or something like that - totally stupid, and not banned by the NHL. He got hosed, not that he would have made the difference.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

WOLF wrote:
FullDJacket wrote:So backstrom got busted for steriods? Stupid kid[/quote

Actually, just allergy medication - Benedryl or something like that - totally stupid, and not banned by the NHL. He got hosed, not that he would have made the difference.
It might of.

Are Canada a better overall team - absolutely.

But with Backstrom in the team, they could have won, or they could have lost 6-0 instead. We will never know for sure.

alecjonsludge

Post by alecjonsludge »

pieceofme wrote:
WOLF wrote:

It might of.

Are Canada a better overall team - absolutely.

But with Backstrom in the team, they could have won, or they could have lost 6-0 instead. We will never know for sure.
The way Canada dominated all assets of the game yesterday,Backstrom wouldn't have made a lick of difference.His particular set of skills would've been useless against the way Canada controlled the puck and kept everything along the boards.Carter,Getzlaf and Nash would've neutralized/overpowered him the second he touched the puck.On the odd chance he got by them,Weber,Doughty or Pieterangelo would've forced/kept him wide for a meaningless shot that Price would've gobbled up.

Don't kid yourself, the last two games Canada played were just about as flawless a system as you'll ever see.Backstrom would've folded like a cheap suit,much like the rest of his team did. Unofficially,Sweden went 27 minutes straight without a scoring chance...let that sink in for a second.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

alecjonsludge wrote:
The way Canada dominated all assets of the game yesterday,Backstrom wouldn't have made a lick of difference.His particular set of skills would've been useless against the way Canada controlled the puck and kept everything along the boards.Carter,Getzlaf and Nash would've neutralized/overpowered him the second he touched the puck.On the odd chance he got by them,Weber,Doughty or Pieterangelo would've forced/kept him wide for a meaningless shot that Price would've gobbled up.

Don't kid yourself, the last two games Canada played were just about as flawless a system as you'll ever see.Backstrom would've folded like a cheap suit,much like the rest of his team did. Unofficially,Sweden went 27 minutes straight without a scoring chance...let that sink in for a second.

I think you missed my point so i'll try and explain again.

I already acknowledged Canada are a far superior team. But one variable could have potentially changed the outcome of the game - in this case Backstrom. I'm not saying if he had played they would have definitely had won. In fact, they might have lost by a bigger margin.

An example is that Finland beat the USA 5-0 without their top 4 centres. Now, if Finland had had their top 4 centres they could have won 8-0 instead. Or they could have lost 2-1 instead. Sport is not 100% predictable, otherwise it would be pretty boring, and the bookies wouldn't make much money. Now, as stated Canada are the better team, so it is more than likely they would have won. However, with Backstrom being pulled two hours before the game, it would have affected the other Swedish players. Psychologically it could have fucked some of the players up knowing their top line centre was not playing. If this incident had not had happened, perhaps he would have done a killer play which would have inspired King Henrik to play in a clutch zone. Or perhaps Backstrom would have made a horrible error, which led to an early goal, which would lead to a complete blowout. We will never know for sure.

Another example is Rask missed the game against Sweden. Now Rask is the best goaltender for Finland (well maybe Rinne, but he was injured) so they would have had a better chance to beat Sweden. However, this is not a definite. He could have let in a weak goal, and Sweden could have won 5-1 instead of 2-1. The probability is that Finland would have stood a better chance with Rask in net. Just like Backstrom would have helped Sweden have a better possibility for Sweden to win that game. Basically it is not 100% true that Canada would have won with Backstrom playing for Sweden.

alecjonsludge

Post by alecjonsludge »

No, I get the "variables" point that you are making. I just don't deal with multiple timelines/sliding doors. Backstrom would've been a non factor, he's softer than a bunny's fur and would not have taken the constant checking required to move the puck....and that is indeed 100% predicitable.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

alecjonsludge wrote:No, I get the "variables" point that you are making. I just don't deal with multiple timelines/sliding doors. Backstrom would've been a non factor, he's softer than a bunny's fur and would not have taken the constant checking required to move the puck....and that is indeed 100% predicitable.
To add to that - I don't know if any team, any where, EVER would have beat that Canadian team. The defensive scheme devised by Babcock and his staff, and executed by the players, was as good as I have ever seen. To allow 3 goals, in 6 games, against elite players from across the globe is SICK.

I would have liked to see them score more goals, but it's plain as day now that the philosophy was - "so long as we score 1 or 2, we got this".

The Soviet Red Army of the 1970's and the Montreal Canadiens of 1977 would have had a hard time breaking down that defence.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

WOLF wrote:
alecjonsludge wrote:No, I get the "variables" point that you are making. I just don't deal with multiple timelines/sliding doors. Backstrom would've been a non factor, he's softer than a bunny's fur and would not have taken the constant checking required to move the puck....and that is indeed 100% predicitable.
To add to that - I don't know if any team, any where, EVER would have beat that Canadian team. The defensive scheme devised by Babcock and his staff, and executed by the players, was as good as I have ever seen. To allow 3 goals, in 6 games, against elite players from across the globe is SICK.

I would have liked to see them score more goals, but it's plain as day now that the philosophy was - "so long as we score 1 or 2, we got this".

The Soviet Red Army of the 1970's and the Montreal Canadiens of 1977 would have had a hard time breaking down that defence.
Come on man, Price could have had a nightmare game. Overall, I agree they are a ridiculously stacked team, but there is always a chance. Especially in a one off game.

Didn't Latvia push you guys close!

Yeah I know the goaltender was on another planet for Latvia.

alecjonsludge

Post by alecjonsludge »

pieceofme wrote:
WOLF wrote:

Come on man, Price could have had a nightmare game. Overall, I agree they are a ridiculously stacked team, but there is always a chance. Especially in a one off game.

Didn't Latvia push you guys close!

Yeah I know the goaltender was on another planet for Latvia.
As well, the goal Latvia scored was on a gimmick play. The Latvian d-man closest to the bench heads off after the draw and a forward breaks out at the opposite,far end of the bench,sneaking behind the Canadian D pair for a lobbed stretch pass.They tried it 2 more times but Canada recognized it after getting burned the first time and effectively neutralized Ted"Hey Hasek,your wife says Hi" Nolan's gimmicky game plan.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Anyway, back to the NHL:

Who is getting traded, and where are they going.

Also, who is going to be the number 1 draft pick.

Edmonton fans are saying, play bad for Ekblad. :lol:

alecjonsludge

Post by alecjonsludge »

The Price of Gold :

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=444700

Montreal Canadiens goaltender Carey Price will not be in uniform on Wednesday night when the team hosts the Detroit Red Wings, or on Thursday night when they visit the Pittsburgh Penguins, head coach Michel Therrien told reporters after the morning practice.

"During the Olympics, Carey aggravated a lower-body injury," Therrien explained. "He will not play the next two games and he's day-to-day."

Price was hurt at the start of Wednesday's practice after facing just one shot as the team worked on their power play. He left the ice in discomfort and appeared to be favouring his leg.

The team later announced that Dustin Tokarski was being called up from Hamilton of the AHL. Therrien already said Tuesday that Peter Budaj would start against the Red Wings.

Price returned home from Sochi this week following an impressive tournament at the Winter Olympics, capturing the gold medal with Team Canada's hockey team. He did not participate in the Canadiens' Monday practice and took Tuesday off.

Prior to the Olympic break, Price was 26-17-5 through 48 games with the Canadiens and boasted a .925 save-percentage and 2.33 goals-against.
FullDJacket
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by FullDJacket »

WOLF wrote:

Ok but that's gotta be one of those deals where you take something so that the steroids doesn't show up in the test...the doctor on espn said he had crazy values

I'm not saying it was actual steroids but it had to be one of those PEDs

The stupidity is to take this during the olympics. Everyone knows you can take what you want in the major leagues here but you can't take anything when you go to the olympics.
alecjonsludge

Post by alecjonsludge »

FullDJacket wrote:
WOLF wrote:

Ok but that's gotta be one of those deals where you take something so that the steroids doesn't show up in the test...the doctor on espn said he had crazy values

I'm not saying it was actual steroids but it had to be one of those PEDs

The stupidity is to take this during the olympics. Everyone knows you can take what you want in the major leagues here but you can't take anything when you go to the olympics.

It was an allergy medication he had been taking for years.Before the Olympics,he checked with the Swedish team doctor,who informed him of the substance in the medication that was on the banned list. However,according to Backstrom,the Dr. told him that a pill a day wouldn't be enough to trigger a positive test......oops.
alecjonsludge

Post by alecjonsludge »

http://tracking.si.com/2014/02/27/sean- ... the-stars/

Former New York Rangers forward and enforcer Sean Avery will join the show “Dancing with the Stars” this spring, according to a Page Six report in the New York Post

Avery was seen preparing for the show in the New York studio of trainer Tracy Anderson, who works with Gwyneth Paltrow, according to the report. New York Post sources also told Page Six that Avery recently showed off his Katy Perry dance moves online, though the video has since been removed:

Sources said the former NHL stud recently posted a video of himself online showing off some Anderson-inspired dance moves to Katy Perry’s “Dark Horse,” but the video was taken down

On the ice, Avery wasn’t exactly known for his finesse, which will be required on the dance floor. Avery frequented the penalty box, leading the league in penalty minutes twice during his career. Throughout his tenure in the NHL, Avery played for the Rangers, Kings, Stars and Red Wings, ultimately retiring in 2012 as a New York Ranger.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

St. Louis wants the Cup!

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=444922

Huge deal. They just got Ryan Miller and Steve Ott for Halak, Chris Stewart, a prospect and picks.

The first domino has fallen. Curious to see if the other Western contenders follow suit.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

WOLF wrote:St. Louis wants the Cup!

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=444922

Huge deal. They just got Ryan Miller and Steve Ott for Halak, Chris Stewart, a prospect and picks.

The first domino has fallen. Curious to see if the other Western contenders follow suit.
Good trade by both teams.

We just got Pirri from Chicago for some late round picks.

FullDJacket
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by FullDJacket »

alecjonsludge wrote:http://tracking.si.com/2014/02/27/sean- ... the-stars/

Former New York Rangers forward and enforcer Sean Avery will join the show “Dancing with the Stars” this spring, according to a Page Six report in the New York Post

Avery was seen preparing for the show in the New York studio of trainer Tracy Anderson, who works with Gwyneth Paltrow, according to the report. New York Post sources also told Page Six that Avery recently showed off his Katy Perry dance moves online, though the video has since been removed:

Sources said the former NHL stud recently posted a video of himself online showing off some Anderson-inspired dance moves to Katy Perry’s “Dark Horse,” but the video was taken down

On the ice, Avery wasn’t exactly known for his finesse, which will be required on the dance floor. Avery frequented the penalty box, leading the league in penalty minutes twice during his career. Throughout his tenure in the NHL, Avery played for the Rangers, Kings, Stars and Red Wings, ultimately retiring in 2012 as a New York Ranger.
Sean Avery, Chris Jericho, Victor Ortiz. I haven't seen this many washed-up losers since hurricane katrina

chungasrevenge
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by chungasrevenge »

First round as of today with 20 or so games to play...

Pittsburgh vs Detroit
Boston vs Toronto
Montreal vs NY Rangers
Tampa Bay vs Philadelphia

Anaheim vs Dallas
St Louis vs Minnesota
Chicago vs Los Angeles
San Jose vs Colorado