The official NHL thread

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

alecjonsludge
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Re: The official NHL thread

Post by alecjonsludge »

Ugh.Pierre McGuire rumored to be the next Penguins GM. Great,wonder how many MONSTER draft picks or MONSTER trades he'll make.
alecjonsludge

Post by alecjonsludge »

Yut343 wrote:
alecjonsludge wrote:Ugh.Pierre McGuire rumored to be the next Penguins GM. Great,wonder how many MONSTER draft picks or MONSTER trades he'll make.
I can't stand that guy. He is so fucking fruity and weird it baffles me how he's able to have an announcing job for so long.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gh0xjmuMUng
EatTheGlass
Headlining Clubs

Post by EatTheGlass »

Kid-Wicked wrote:i think the kings have blown their load.
rangers are the team of destiny this year
Not a chance.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

alecjonsludge wrote:Ugh.Pierre McGuire rumored to be the next Penguins GM. Great,wonder how many MONSTER draft picks or MONSTER trades he'll make.
Pierre Lebrun, on Montreal radio this afternoon, stated 3-4 candidates have been interviewed twice:

- McGuire
- Julien BriseBois - ex-Habs assistant GM and current Lightning assistant, one of the young up and comers in the NHL management ranks
- Paul Fenton - who has studied under David Poile, in Nashville, for 8 years

Jim Rutherford has also been spoken to.

I wouldn't say it's a slam dunk for McGuire.

Also, on the same show, the day Shero was fired McGuire said he had no interest in the job, as loyalty is important to him. He and Shero are best friends, and McGuire was best man at Shero's wedding.

Apparently, Shero called McGuire to say "you had nothing to do with me being fired, there's only 30 GM jobs in the league, and even less you would want, so go for it".
Last edited by WOLF on Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Prediction time. Let's use this format:

Head says: Kings in 6
Hearts says: Rangers

No hard feelings on my end; I'm rooting for Marty, Dom Moore, McDonagh, and King Henrik.

Having said that, the Kings are built for the playoffs.
pieceofme
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by pieceofme »

WOLF wrote:Prediction time. Let's use this format:

No hard feelings on my end; I'm rooting for Marty, Dom Moore, McDonagh, and King Henrik.

Basically this. Can't stand the Kings.

Btw Wolf, and actually anyone else, what is Gerard Gallant like? Do you rate him?

He might become the new Panthers coach.
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

pieceofme wrote:
WOLF wrote:Prediction time. Let's use this format:

Basically this. Can't stand the Kings.

Btw Wolf, and actually anyone else, what is Gerard Gallant like? Do you rate him?

He might become the new Panthers coach.
Gallant probably was not ready when he held his first NHL head coaching gig in Columbus. He gained experience, but it was a "no win" situation in Columbus at that point.

I give him credit for rolling up his sleeves and returning to Canadian Junior hockey, where he had great success, and climbing the ladder back up to the NHL - his assistant role with the Habs.

The Habs have exceeded expectations the last two years, and Gallant has to be given credit for playing a role in that. He's more of a co-coach than assistant coach, and has played a big role with the team's penalty killing and power play. If he spoke French (despite his name he does not speak a word of it) he might actually be the head coach here.

He's been surrounded by some good people here, notably GM Marc Bergevin and Assistant GM Rick Dudley. You could do far worse than hire him; he's a better choice than a retread, career coach.

It should be noted he relates well to young players - hence his success in Junior hockey, and with the Habs' younger guys. This would be an asset in Florida with their young talent and even younger talent on its way.
alecjonsludge

Post by alecjonsludge »

Gallant was nothing short of awesome here in Saint John. He had a way of getting the best out of every player on the Sea Dogs. Despite their dominance in the "Q" during his tenure ,he still ran a tight ship and everyone from Huberdeau down to the 3rd string goalie knew what was expected of them.That's not to say that it wasn't a comfortable atomosphere,it was and they could be a loose bunch at times,it's just that he never let the Sea Dogs rest on their laurels.He was also great in the community and that rubbed off on the rest of the organization. Florida could do a lot worse.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Thanks guys. Thats pretty much what I've been hearing from other sites as well.

The big downside has been some Habs fans think he runs the PP, and that has been terrible for them recently. Still, the fans saying this are not 100% sure about this.

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
John Simon Ritchie

Post by John Simon Ritchie »

Just dropping by to say...suck a dick, Rangers.
"I was looking for that great jazz note that destroyed the walls of Jericho." - The Clash, The Sound Of Sinners
johnk5150

Post by johnk5150 »

Would love to have Doughty instead of Seabrook on the Hawks.
He's like the Liberace of bass & pot.

$tevil
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

WOLF wrote: You could do far worse than hire him; he's a better choice than a retread, career coach.
Speaking of retread, career coaches, THIS would be a bad move, in my opinion...

From tsn.ca:

The South Florida Sun Sentinel reports that the Florida Panthers have interviewed Ron Wilson for their vacant head coaching position.

Wilson, 59, coached four NHL teams over the last two decades, including the Anaheim Ducks, Washington Capitals, San Jose Sharks and Toronto Maple Leafs with a 648-561-101-91 record. He led the Capitals to the Stanley Cup Final in 1998.

Hired in 2008 by the Maple Leafs, he led the team to a 34-35-13 mark in his first season with the club finishing 12th in the Eastern Conference.

The following year, the team posted a 30-38-14 record and finished last in the Conference.

In 2010-11, Wilson's Leafs went 37-34-11 and finished 10th in the Conference. He was relieved of his duties from the team on Mar. 2, 2012.
EatTheGlass
Headlining Clubs

Post by EatTheGlass »

johnk5150 wrote:Would love to have Doughty instead of Seabrook on the Hawks.
Every team would to have Doughty, best dman in the league!
alecjonsludge

Post by alecjonsludge »

Jim Rutherford to be named Pens GM. Not thrilled,but at least it's not McGuire.
UtahRatt
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by UtahRatt »

John Simon Ritchie wrote:Just dropping by to say...suck a dick, Rangers.
What a shocker dick hole.

I seen a poll with like 35 writers and NHL analysts and 2 of them picked the Rangers. So jump on the bandwagon now, bitch, seems like it's going to be a tight series. I'm shocked it took LA into OT just to win.
poizond13 wrote:I have been very bummed out, sad and shocked for most of the night
Artemis2085 wrote:so I blurt out "I love you Paul!
Atomicpunk18 wrote:You see Black Crowes music has gotten me laid multiple times.
alecjonsludge

Post by alecjonsludge »

alecjonsludge wrote:Jim Rutherford to be named Pens GM. Not thrilled,but at least it's not McGuire.

Dan Bylsma rumoured to be fired,via Louis Jean on twitter.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

alecjonsludge wrote:Jim Rutherford to be named Pens GM. Not thrilled,but at least it's not McGuire.
I think they should have gone the route the Habs did with Bergevin, and opted for a younger guy ready to jump to the next level. They spoke to several of them. Curious to see how Rutheford performs in a place where there are actual expectations, beyond "make the playoffs".
alecjonsludge

Post by alecjonsludge »

WOLF wrote:
I think they should have gone the route the Habs did with Bergevin, and opted for a younger guy ready to jump to the next level. They spoke to several of them. Curious to see how Rutheford performs in a place where there are actual expectations, beyond "make the playoffs".

Rumours are it was McGuire's job but he wanted a 5 year deal while the Pens offered 2.

Something tells me that Rutherford is more or less just grooming Botterill or Bill Guerin to be the GM.

The whole thing stinks,if 3 weeks ago they keep Shero and fire Bylsma - Trotz is the coach the next day and everything is somewhat calm and certain.As it is now,no coach, a less than successful GM that the game may have passed by, a salary cap that is close to the limit with a lot of players to sign....the salad days may be over.
AliceManson
Headlining Clubs

Post by AliceManson »

alecjonsludge wrote: The whole thing stinks,if 3 weeks ago they keep Shero and fire Bylsma - Trotz is the coach the next day and everything is somewhat calm and certain.As it is now,no coach, a less than successful GM that the game may have passed by, a salary cap that is close to the limit with a lot of players to sign....the salad days may be over.
Shero had some bad drafts, but he did more good than bad. He put together a dream hockey team together last season for the playoffs. Blysma shit that up, not Shero. Shero didn't use Iginla as a LW, Blysma did. Blysma was the one who shit up the last few 5 playoffs. I was honestly scared the Pens were going to keep him. Dan Blysma is a great guy and a good coach to replace a hard nosed coach that a team quits on, but he hits an expiration date quickly.
EatTheGlass wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:26 am I'd bet my house that Grohl shuts the Foos down now
Nibbler wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 8:33 pm Looks like Alex has shitcanned the Van Hagar remasters.
alecjonsludge

Post by alecjonsludge »

AliceManson wrote:
alecjonsludge wrote: The whole thing stinks,if 3 weeks ago they keep Shero and fire Bylsma - Trotz is the coach the next day and everything is somewhat calm and certain.As it is now,no coach, a less than successful GM that the game may have passed by, a salary cap that is close to the limit with a lot of players to sign....the salad days may be over.
Shero had some bad drafts, but he did more good than bad. He put together a dream hockey team together last season for the playoffs. Blysma shit that up, not Shero. Shero didn't use Iginla as a LW, Blysma did. Blysma was the one who shit up the last few 5 playoffs. I was honestly scared the Pens were going to keep him. Dan Blysma is a great guy and a good coach to replace a hard nosed coach that a team quits on, but he hits an expiration date quickly.
Bylsma was severely out coached in the playoffs the past few seasons. He did little,if nothing,to avoid defensive matchups that didn't favour his team. He wasn't the best x and o guy and didn't recognize schemes and set plays early enough. He had a good run but it was time to go. I'm hoping the rumours of Florida being interested in him come to fruition....perhaps that could lead to Gallant headed to the Pens.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

WOLF wrote:
WOLF wrote: You could do far worse than hire him; he's a better choice than a retread, career coach.
Speaking of retread, career coaches, THIS would be a bad move, in my opinion...

From tsn.ca:

The South Florida Sun Sentinel reports that the Florida Panthers have interviewed Ron Wilson for their vacant head coaching position.

Wilson, 59, coached four NHL teams over the last two decades, including the Anaheim Ducks, Washington Capitals, San Jose Sharks and Toronto Maple Leafs with a 648-561-101-91 record. He led the Capitals to the Stanley Cup Final in 1998.

Hired in 2008 by the Maple Leafs, he led the team to a 34-35-13 mark in his first season with the club finishing 12th in the Eastern Conference.

The following year, the team posted a 30-38-14 record and finished last in the Conference.

In 2010-11, Wilson's Leafs went 37-34-11 and finished 10th in the Conference. He was relieved of his duties from the team on Mar. 2, 2012.
I did shake my head when I first heard the news.

pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

And Dan Bylsma has already been contacted by Tallon!
Better than Wilson at least

Aerosmith87
Opening Act in Arenas

Post by Aerosmith87 »

UtahRatt wrote:
John Simon Ritchie wrote:Just dropping by to say...suck a dick, Rangers.
What a shocker dick hole.

I seen a poll with like 35 writers and NHL analysts and 2 of them picked the Rangers. So jump on the bandwagon now, bitch, seems like it's going to be a tight series. I'm shocked it took LA into OT just to win.
Also dropping by to say, fuck the Rangers. Like always. No bandwagon here.
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

Aerosmith87 wrote:Also dropping by to say, fuck the Rangers. Like always. No bandwagon here.
But you still like cocks, no reason to give up two habits at once.

At the start of the season if anyone said the Rangers would be in the Cup they'd been laughed out of hockey......I'll be laughing if LA don't sweep. I like LA but their fans rank up their with Boston's legion of morons.
poizond13 wrote:I have been very bummed out, sad and shocked for most of the night
Atomicpunk18 wrote:You see Black Crowes music has gotten me laid multiple times.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

UtahRatt wrote:
Aerosmith87 wrote:Also dropping by to say, fuck the Rangers. Like always. No bandwagon here.

At the start of the season if anyone said the Rangers would be in the Cup they'd been laughed out of hockey......I'll be laughing if LA don't sweep. I like LA but their fans rank up their with Boston's legion of morons.
LA have got some very douchie players as well. Doughty may be the best D in the league but he's an ass.

Then there is Donut boy Brown.

Quick looks like an overfed frat boy.

Don't let Richards near your wife!

And Darryl Sutter is a dick. Although a damn good coach.

EatTheGlass
Headlining Clubs

Post by EatTheGlass »

pieceofme wrote:
UtahRatt wrote:

LA have got some very douchie players as well. Doughty may be the best D in the league but he's an ass.

Then there is Donut boy Brown.

Quick looks like an overfed frat boy.

Don't let Richards near your wife!

And Darryl Sutter is a dick. Although a damn good coach.
Wait a second, and you're a VAN fan, right? Then, none of what you posted surprises me...I'd hate the Kings too.
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

With the way the Kings fans acted after beating the Sharks, the Ducks then the Blackhawks it's really not shocking anymore that their fan's are douche bags. This series is no different.

And to think I didn't want the Blackhawks in, I'd like to go back to the first round and root against them.
Enjoy it. The cup is yours, hope they fill it with enough cocks to feed the fans.
johnk5150

Post by johnk5150 »

UtahRatt wrote:With the way the Kings fans acted after beating the Sharks, the Ducks then the Blackhawks it's really not shocking anymore that their fan's are douche bags. This series is no different.

And to think I didn't want the Blackhawks in, I'd like to go back to the first round and root against them.
Enjoy it. The cup is yours, hope they fill it with enough cocks to feed the fans.
The Kings have fans ? Game 7 ratings showed the Chicago households out viewed LA 7-1.
He's like the Liberace of bass & pot.

$tevil
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

johnk5150 wrote:
UtahRatt wrote:With the way the Kings fans acted after beating the Sharks, the Ducks then the Blackhawks it's really not shocking anymore that their fan's are douche bags. This series is no different.

The Kings have fans ? Game 7 ratings showed the Chicago households out viewed LA 7-1.
Bandwagons. LA is a fickle town who don't support shit until they win something then everyone wants on board.

"I've been a fan forever!" Even tho they haven't said squat till they pull something out. Chicago like the Cub's, fans who are there win or lose.
Aerosmith87
Opening Act in Arenas

Post by Aerosmith87 »

Fuck LA, too. Fuck NY more though.

I am still bitter about LA beating NJ two years ago and I always hate NY.