The official NHL thread

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

NeverSurrender
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Re: The official NHL thread

Post by NeverSurrender »

The Isles won 19 straight playoff series. A record that will never be broken in the 4 majors. All while the NHL changing the playoff structure all the time. And didn't the Habs get first pick of all the player back in the day? 19 straight series....

There really isn't really much else I have to say.

And if you want to argue, argue with Thore!!

Aerosmith87
Opening Act in Arenas

Post by Aerosmith87 »

NeverSurrender wrote:The Isles won 19 straight playoff series. A record that will never be broken in the 4 majors. All while the NHL changing the playoff structure all the time. And didn't the Habs get first pick of all the player back in the day? 19 straight series....

My dad is an Isles fan and I'm a Devils fan. He's been saying the Islanders are the future of hockey since I can remember!
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

WOLF wrote:
pieceofme wrote: The two most impressive dynasty teams of all time imo.
The Montreal Canadiens of the late 1950's (record 5 straight cups from 1956 - 1960) and late 1970's (4 straight cups from 1976-1979; greatest regular season ever) beg to differ.

Best team I ever saw (I was 6):

The 1976–77 Montreal Canadiens season was the Canadiens' 68th season. The team is regarded to be the greatest NHL team ever composed. The Canadiens won their 20th Stanley Cup in 1976–77, taking the NHL championship. They set an NHL record for most points in a season by a team with 132 points.[1] They outscored opponents by 216 goals in 80 games for an average of 2.7 goals a game.[1]

Of the 24 players on the roster, 14 were drafted by the Canadiens including: Pierre Bouchard, Rick Chartraw, Brian Engblom, Bob Gainey, Rejean Houle, Guy Lafleur, Michel Larocque, Pierre Mondou, Bill Nyrop, Doug Risebrough, Larry Robinson, Steve Shutt, Mario Tremblay, and Murray Wilson. The only player on the roster not developed by the Canadiens was Peter Mahovlich.[1]

Record: 60-8-12, goals for: 387; goal against: 171. 12-2 in playoffs, with 4 shutouts.
I'm sorry but any original 6 is void, because there was only 6 bloody teams! Fair point with the late 70s one though.
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

NeverSurrender wrote:The Isles won 19 straight playoff series. A record that will never be broken in the 4 majors. All while the NHL changing the playoff structure all the time. And didn't the Habs get first pick of all the player back in the day? 19 straight series....

One of my co-workers cousin was an enforcer with the Islanders back in the late 70s, early 80s. Can't remember his name though.

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

19 straight series is amazing, and likely won't be repeated as the days of the dynasty, due to free agency, arbitration, the salary cap, etc. are OVER.

It's hard to understand how good some of the orginal 6 teams were, as they only had to win two series to win the cup, but imagine the talent in a 6 team league. AHL teams then were better than NHL teams now (likely).

The Habs did not always have the first round pick. That's a myth. They did have territorial rights to French Canadian born players up until the late 60's, I believe, but that was before the draft existed. Most of these guys spoke no English and would not want to sign/live/play elsewhere unless they couldn't make the Habs. Other teams also had territorial rights to their local players, but obviously the Leafs and Habs had way better pickins' than the 4 US Original Six teams.

Honestly, I think it's the late 70's Habs who are the better Habs dynasty. How many games did they lose in those 4 years? Much of the talent home grown. An amazing GM (Sam Pollock), Scotty Bowman, in his prime, as the ultimate SOB coach. Stars, role players, goaltending, etc. Larry Robinson was my god! HE effectively ended the Broad Street Bullies by putting Gary Doernhoffer through the boards and beating the shit out of Dave Schultz.
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

If the Isles would have had the same path to the cup that the 50s Habs did, their 19 straight series would have won them 9 cups.

The Habs had to play 2 series to win the cup. Try that on for size.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

NeverSurrender wrote:If the Isles would have had the same path to the cup that the 50s Habs did, their 19 straight series would have won them 9 cups.

Agreed. But it's hard to compare eras. The teams of the Original 6 days beat who they had to beat, usually very good Bruins, Wings, and Leafs teams. There were no free passes. Once the league got up to 12-16 teams making playoffs, the 1st and 2nd rounds were cakewalks for the 70's Habs and 80's Islanders.

Not minimizing the Isles dynasty. Growing up I loved Lafleur/Robinson and my first villains, whom I feared, were not O'Reilly and Cheevers, but Trottier and Billy Smith. The reason I so want hockey to be resurrected on Long Island, is that dynasty. It would be a shame if anything ever happened to the Isles, and they disappeared. I can accept them moving to Brooklyn, NOT Seattle or Kansas City (or even Quebec City).
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

WOLF wrote:
NeverSurrender wrote:If the Isles would have had the same path to the cup that the 50s Habs did, their 19 straight series would have won them 9 cups.

Agreed. But it's hard to compare eras. The teams of the Original 6 days beat who they had to beat, usually very good Bruins, Wings, and Leafs teams. There were no free passes. Once the league got up to 12-16 teams making playoffs, the 1st and 2nd rounds were cakewalks for the 70's Habs and 80's Islanders.

Not minimizing the Isles dynasty. Growing up I loved Lafleur/Robinson and my first villains, whom I feared, were not O'Reilly and Cheevers, but Trottier and Billy Smith. The reason I so want hockey to be resurrected on Long Island, is that dynasty. It would be a shame if anything ever happened to the Isles, and they disappeared. I can accept them moving to Brooklyn, NOT Seattle or Kansas City (or even Quebec City).
Truth...

The Isles never played a game 7 and faced elimination only once ...
alecjonsludge
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by alecjonsludge »

NeverSurrender wrote:
WOLF wrote:

Truth...

The Isles never played a game 7 and faced elimination only once ...

Technically no game 7's, but 1st round series' only consisted of a best of 5 back then. -Nice little ploy by Arbour in that Game 5 elimination game with the Pens.Totally legal, but that 2 minute goalie warmup for Melanson half way thru their power-play while trailing 3-1 in the 3rd is what got the "no goalie warmup" rule instated. Also,if Randy Carlyle didn't have a cement hands moment the dynasty would've been halted- but he did and it wasn't.

I give the nod to the 70's era Habs dynasty over the Islanders.The Habs lost a total of 6 games during their 4 Cup run in the 70's... the Islanders lost that many in the 1980 playoffs alone.
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

19 playoff series in a row... nothing needs to be said. BTW, I am completely unbiased. :lol:
chungasrevenge
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by chungasrevenge »

Facedown wrote:
chungasrevenge wrote:
Facedown wrote:Bartkowski signs for 1yr/1.25m.
I'll be surprised if he's on the roster at camp. That money is more than likely going towards Krug/Smith along with Savard's space. Should be enough to get them both in bridge deals in the $2.5 range.

David Pastrnak fever grips New England. Even the front office and media are falling over themselves. I still don't believe it out of development camp and he's only 173 pounds.
They re-signed Caron, too.
They're all in.
:lol:
At least he took a pay cut.

I'm betting Washington at 55/1, Dallas at 33/1 and NY Rangers at 18/1 on top of the usual homer bet on the B's.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

NeverSurrender wrote:19 playoff series in a row... nothing needs to be said. BTW, I am completely unbiased. :lol:
I'm definitely not biased and Islanders > Montreal for best dynasty.

alecjonsludge

Post by alecjonsludge »

pieceofme wrote:
NeverSurrender wrote:19 playoff series in a row... nothing needs to be said. BTW, I am completely unbiased. :lol:

The Canadiens had a BYE into the 2nd round of the playoffs in '76,'77 and '78 for finishing 1st in their division(as well as 1st over all). Had they had to play in the opening round best of 3 those years,they too would've won 19 straight series.

6 losses in 4 playoff years is a more telling stat,IMO.
jizzyjizim
Headlining Clubs

Post by jizzyjizim »

1984,1985,1987,1988,1990 - 5 Cups in 7 years... fuck all y'all... :lol:

"We walked by their locker room in the corridor and saw after they won they were too beat up to really enjoy it and savor the victory at that moment," said Gretzky. "We were able to walk out of their pretty much scot free. We had so much respect for the Islanders players and the Islanders teams that we learned immediately you have to take it to another level in order to win a Stanley Cup. And that’s what we did. We learned from it and often credit for the Islanders players and Islanders teams for teaching us exactly what it’s all about and how hard it is to win."

that 1983 Playoff series is when I became an Oilers fan..

That Islanders run was very impressive as the 70's Habs were also impressive...tough to pick for me.
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

I have not much of a clue about any other dynasty than Oilers or Isles so it's hard for me to say. I don't know NHL history that well. Not like I do
nfl or mlb at least.

I don't believe the NHL gives hev Isles dynasty enough credit though. Sometimes I feel like they want to bury it.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Habs overpay for Lars Eller. 4 years/14 million. The thinking is they bought two years of his UFA status, and that in years 3 and 4 he will be worth more than the 3.5 million cap hit. That may be true if the cap continues to go up, and if we see the Eller we saw in the playoffs. Having said that, for this year and next, it's a lot to pay for an iffy 3rd line center.

All that's left for the Habs to do is sign Subban before August 1, or go to arbitration with him. It will get done, but it will be interesting. Rumors are that if he's going to sign the max, 8-year deal, and give up years of UFA status, he wants 10 million/year. Otherwise he'll take less term, and less money, and go through this again in a couple of years. His agent is Don Meehan. People thought it was a rip off when Meehan got Drew Doughty a 7 miilion/year contract a couple of years ago, now it's looking like a bargain and people are saying he left money on the table. He does NOT want a repeat with Subban. Subban might become one of the top 5 paid players in the league, for now anyways... to be continued.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

WOLF wrote:Habs overpay for Lars Eller. 4 years/14 million. The thinking is they bought two years of his UFA status, and that in years 3 and 4 he will be worth more than the 3.5 million cap hit. That may be true if the cap continues to go up, and if we see the Eller we saw in the playoffs. Having said that, for this year and next, it's a lot to pay for an iffy 3rd line center.

All that's left for the Habs to do is sign Subban before August 1, or go to arbitration with him. It will get done, but it will be interesting. Rumors are that if he's going to sign the max, 8-year deal, and give up years of UFA status, he wants 10 million/year. Otherwise he'll take less term, and less money, and go through this again in a couple of years. His agent is Don Meehan. People thought it was a rip off when Meehan got Drew Doughty a 7 miilion/year contract a couple of years ago, now it's looking like a bargain and people are saying he left money on the table. He does NOT want a repeat with Subban. Subban might become one of the top 5 paid players in the league, for now anyways... to be continued.
Agree about Ellers, and I know how you feel, because we pretty much did the same thing with Kulikov.

NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

alecjonsludge wrote:
pieceofme wrote:

The Canadiens had a BYE into the 2nd round of the playoffs in '76,'77 and '78 for finishing 1st in their division(as well as 1st over all). Had they had to play in the opening round best of 3 those years,they too would've won 19 straight series.

6 losses in 4 playoff years is a more telling stat,IMO.
Fuck, how could they lose? Sounds like they played half the amount of games.

Isles win.
alecjonsludge

Post by alecjonsludge »

Walter "Weise" ?

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/lheis ... iens-meth/

You clearly don’t know who you’re dealing with, so let Michel Emond clue you in. He is not in danger, you guys. Michel Emond IS the danger. A guy opens his door and gets shot, and you think that of him? No! Emond is the one who KNOCKS.

Mandatory comparisons out of the way, Emond’s alleged jig is up. Police have apprehended the accused methamphetamine kingpin, 36, in Costa Rica after hunting him for two years. The charges indicate he ran the operation out of his home in Laval, Que. Really should’ve driven an RV deep into the Laurentians for his cook sessions, but I digress.

Where’s the hockey hook? Look no further than the drugs themselves. The charges suggest Emond’s trademark was to shape the tablets like the Montreal Canadiens logo. If the meth is pure enough, you could call it ‘Et Le Blue.’

If we ignore for a moment this is a bad, bad crime and it’s good news the police appear to have gotten their man: not a bad business decision to choose the Habs logo. It’s a Quebec-based drug ring, and Montreal appeals to a wide market, as the Canadiens are an Original Six team but also a current Stanley Cup contender. Emond Industries (yep, I made that up) would’ve gone belly up long ago if it pushed Panthers meth to aging Snowbirds, for example.

If nothing else, this discovery could explain why message boards have such rabid Habs fans.
NeverSurrender

Post by NeverSurrender »

2 months from today is the first day of October.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

PK Subban signs his long term deal with the Habs. 8 years/9 million per. Some are calling it overpayment; I think its genius. The Habs just bought 6 years of PK's unrestricted free agency status. Yeah, he's overpaid now, but with a cap that escalates yearly, he may be a 11-12 million dollar player in years 6-8 of the contract; not to mention we got 2 great years from him, at 2.75 mill. the last two years.

Works for me. He and Carey Price are the faces of the franchise now.
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

WOLF wrote:PK Subban signs his long term deal with the Habs. 8 years/9 million per. Some are calling it overpayment; I think its genius. The Habs just bought 6 years of PK's unrestricted free agency status. Yeah, he's overpaid now, but with a cap that escalates yearly, he may be a 11-12 million dollar player in years 6-8 of the contract; not to mention we got 2 great years from him, at 2.75 mill. the last two years.

unfuckingreal.
he's worth 4.5.that contract is worse then luongos. untradeable.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Kid-Wicked wrote:
WOLF wrote:PK Subban signs his long term deal with the Habs. 8 years/9 million per. Some are calling it overpayment; I think its genius. The Habs just bought 6 years of PK's unrestricted free agency status. Yeah, he's overpaid now, but with a cap that escalates yearly, he may be a 11-12 million dollar player in years 6-8 of the contract; not to mention we got 2 great years from him, at 2.75 mill. the last two years.

unfuckingreal.

He was surely going to get 7 million, on a one year deal, from the arbitrator.

People thought the Doughty deal was nuts, a couple of years ago, now its considered great.

You need to realize that from the first lockout to now the cap went from 39 million to 69 million. It will go up more with the new Canadian TV deal, and moving Arizona to a city that generates more revenue.

Don Meehan knows all this. In 5 years the cap will be 100 million and the contract will look like a bargain.
alecjonsludge

Post by alecjonsludge »

wolf wrote:People thought the Doughty deal was nuts, a couple of years ago, now its considered great.

Only difference, PK won't be lifting this twice in the next 3 years-Not counting "Just For Laughs" appearances with Seth Rogen.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

alecjonsludge wrote:
wolf wrote:People thought the Doughty deal was nuts, a couple of years ago, now its considered great.

Only difference, PK won't be lifting this twice in the next 3 years-Not counting "Just For Laughs" appearances with Seth Rogen.
We're not a dynasty in the making, but I think with Price, Subban, Galchenyuk, Gallagher,et al the young nucleas is there to steal one a la 1993 or 1986.

I'm on vacation on Florida, so I'm not getting much reaction to the deal. What's the reaction been?
alecjonsludge

Post by alecjonsludge »

^^^^^
Most of Sportsnet and TSN's talking heads are reluctantly agreeing that it's a deal Montreal had to make,that PK had them over a barrel. They're also quick to point out Subban's shortcomings when compared to Doughty,Weber,Keith when showing how you could argue this deal,but they all come back to this was a deal they had to make.

Elliotte Friedman is having a raging boner over how the first two years of the deal doesn't have a no-trade clause.While not out and out saying the Habs are going to trade him during this window (if things don't work out for whatever reason), that's what he's certainly implying.Of course, what he's forgetting is that those first two years are still RFA years where PK can't have a no trade clause.
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

WOLF wrote:
Kid-Wicked wrote:

unfuckingreal.

He was surely going to get 7 million, on a one year deal, from the arbitrator.

People thought the Doughty deal was nuts, a couple of years ago, now its considered great.

You need to realize that from the first lockout to now the cap went from 39 million to 69 million. It will go up more with the new Canadian TV deal, and moving Arizona to a city that generates more revenue.

Don Meehan knows all this. In 5 years the cap will be 100 million and the contract will look like a bargain.
just because the cap goes up it doesn't mean that an over rated player is worth more money. there's no fucking way he's worth that. nobody in hockey outside of montreal believes he should have got the norris. he's put up some good numbers offensively but is still a major liability in his own end. he should be compared closer to alex edler then drew daughty
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

just because the cap goes up it doesn't mean that an over rated player is worth more money. there's no fucking way he's worth that. nobody in hockey outside of montreal believes he should have got the norris. he's put up some good numbers offensively but is still a major liability in his own end. he should be compared closer to alex edler then drew daughty [/quote]

I agree with some of what you're saying, but also think you're smokin' that great stuff in Vancouver. Subban is a top 5-10 D-man in the NHL. He's far better than Alex Edler. He's also getting better, and will be even better if he simplifies his defensive game.
Earl Skakel
Headlining Clubs

Post by Earl Skakel »

I still don't k now how Lombardi hasn't won GM Of The Year in any of the last 3 years. Is he still being painted as a guy who's team(Sharks)had great regular seasons but couldn't finish? I mean the Kings really don't have any bad contracts outside of maybe Richards but with how he plays in the playoffs I can live with it. Where it gets interesting is next off season when guys like Williams and I think Toffoli and Pearson will need new deals. Pretty impressive that and although I regret it the only guy we lost this off season is Willie Mitchell.

Earl
The Inappropriate Earl Podcast is on Itunes or Soundcloud
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/ina ... 96362?mt=2
https://soundcloud.com/inappropriate-earl
http://www.twitter.com/earlskakel
New comedy album out on Itunes under Earl Skakel
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

WOLF wrote:just because the cap goes up it doesn't mean that an over rated player is worth more money. there's no fucking way he's worth that. nobody in hockey outside of montreal believes he should have got the norris. he's put up some good numbers offensively but is still a major liability in his own end. he should be compared closer to alex edler then drew daughty

I agree with some of what you're saying, but also think you're smokin' that great stuff in Vancouver. Subban is a top 5-10 D-man in the NHL. He's far better than Alex Edler. He's also getting better, and will be even better if he simplifies his defensive game.[/quote]

what am i smoking? holy shit dude. he's making more then sydney crosby!! yeah he's better then edler offensively but they're both gong shows in their own end.