The official NHL thread

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

fret123
Headlining Clubs

Re: The official NHL thread

Post by fret123 »

Kid-Wicked wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:11 am
fret123 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:33 am
UtahRatt wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:04 am Didn't mind watching the Tampa bay Rangers choke but just when I thought the Flames put something together....that bites.
You gotta shake your head at the Flames coaching though. Why they didn't start Rittich for at least one game is beyond me. You have to try something else when things aren't working, regardless of how well Smith played. No matter how you slice it, he lost 4 games in a row. Rittich seems good at sparking the team when needed. I would have started him game 3 for sure, I knew they were fucked after that loss, and yet they still played Smith the next two starts. Puzzling to me.
and that's why you're not running a hockey team. replacing the best guy on the ice doesn't shake things up for the positive. over 100 shots against in the last 2 games. you think replacing the guy that kept them in those games would have made them alow less shots and scored more goals? call calgary for what they were. an overacheving team in a weak division.
The numbers don't lie...….Ritttich in regular season 45 games played 27 wins 9 losses .911 save percentage. Mike Smith regular season 42 games played 23 wins 16 losses and .898 save percentage. GAA.....Rittich 2.61...….Smith 2.72. Mike Smith playoff record? 1 win and 4 consecutive losses. Rittich's playoff record? We'll never know....why would you play your best goalie in the playoffs after all?.... It's bad coaching plain and simple when you're down to your last hand and don't use your assets, in this case your best goalie. Smith stood on his head but was rattled after Game 2 and they never gave him a chance to recompose. Stubbornness and vanity on the part of Bill Peters. It's a common theme in NHL coaching. In other sports, like baseball, at the first signs of trouble, pitchers get yanked, fielders swapped out etc. NHL has that outdated stick to your guns mentality for some reason. What works in the regular season often doesn't in the playoffs and you either make adjustments or die.
pieceofme
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by pieceofme »

fret123 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:32 pm
pieceofme wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:10 am
fret123 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:33 am

You gotta shake your head at the Flames coaching though. Why they didn't start Rittich for at least one game is beyond me. You have to try something else when things aren't working, regardless of how well Smith played. No matter how you slice it, he lost 4 games in a row. Rittich seems good at sparking the team when needed. I would have started him game 3 for sure, I knew they were fucked after that loss, and yet they still played Smith the next two starts. Puzzling to me.
Probably because Rittich was out with a knee injury and not fully healthy. Smith played well. Certainly can understand why they didn't throw an injured goaltender out there.

He was dressed and ready for every game. They just chose not to use him, which was a mistake. I don't think the Flames called anyone up from the minors to back up Smith, unless I'm mistaken.
Smith was not the issue for the Flames at all. He was good all series. Throwing in a goaltender who it has been reported was not fully healthy would have made no sense. Sure, if Smith had sucked, then they would have thrown him in. Smith was the Flames best player. Not his fault the team in front of him didn't show up. And I doubt throwing in Rittich would have helped.
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

pieceofme wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:20 pm

Probably because Rittich was out with a knee injury and not fully healthy. Smith played well. Certainly can understand why they didn't throw an injured goaltender out there.

He was dressed and ready for every game. They just chose not to use him, which was a mistake. I don't think the Flames called anyone up from the minors to back up Smith, unless I'm mistaken.
Smith was not the issue for the Flames at all. He was good all series. Throwing in a goaltender who it has been reported was not fully healthy would have made no sense. Sure, if Smith had sucked, then they would have thrown him in. Smith was the Flames best player. Not his fault the team in front of him didn't show up. And I doubt throwing in Rittich would have helped.
exactlly. thank you. the canucks had luongo stand on his head in 2013 in game one and 2 only to have schnieder play game 3 and get pulled and then get the start again in game 4 which the canucks lost. joe thorton said the sharks were lucky that they didn't have to face luongo. he was awesome. after that season schnieder gets traded and the coach gets fired. what's happened since then? the canucks have been in the shitter, schnieder can't stop a beach ball, vigneault took the rangers to the finals, luongo is still great. and eddie lack isn't in the league anymore.
fret123
Headlining Clubs

Post by fret123 »

It's besides the point though. You've got nothing to lose by the time you're down 3 games to zip. It's hail mary time. Nobody would have been outraged if they threw Rittich in and they lost again. It would have been playing your last hand is all, and sometimes intangible things can happen. Maybe Rittich would have been really focussed and inspired and fresh and could have possibly turned things around. I think that would have been more likely than a tired, depressed, shell shocked Mike Smith turning things around. The same scenario applies tomorrow with the Islanders, so it should be interesting. Barry Trotz is nuts if he doesn't start Griesse instead of Lehner, for all the same reasons. You gotta go with your last option when you're on the ropes, but I'll just bet Trotz sticks with Lehner. It's a dumb outdated coaching mentality. There is nothing to lose.
Facedown
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by Facedown »

Jesus, Chara might actually play tonight.
bonedog wrote:I let Facedown get the better of me
bonedog wrote:My first kid will be born when I am 47.
bonedog wrote:I suck at sludging.
dmbrocker
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Post by dmbrocker »

Looks like St. Louis has this one in the bag unless the Bruins pull off a miracle. Congrats, Blues! (unless that miracle happens, in which case, congrats Boston!)

Edit: Aaaaaaand now St. Louis wins! Sorry, Bruins fans. Wasn't your night.
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Congrats Blues! Great stuff!

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

Incredible story to be last in a 31 team league on January 2, with talk of dismantling the team... instead they opt for a coaching change, and bringing a goalie up from the minors, and they win the Cup. Good on the St. Louis Blues!
Cyd
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by Cyd »

Having fun here in STL. Big parade downtown next. Like ... it's history.
EatTheGlass
Headlining Clubs

Post by EatTheGlass »

Cyd wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:24 pm Having fun here in STL. Big parade downtown next. Like ... it's history.
Kings fan here....so I know exactly how it feels to be a Blues fan. Congrats STL!
Facedown

Post by Facedown »

Congrats to the Blues and their fans.
Aerosmith87
Opening Act in Arenas

Post by Aerosmith87 »

The best part about it is I had Boston winning in a word bracket. I won the $100 just by Boston winning through the conf. finals because of all the early upsets. I really didn't want them to win...so in this case it was win/win for me!
ShearMagic
Forming a Band

Post by ShearMagic »

Lots of goalies changing teams as of right now. Panarin gave Islanders the shaft and went to the Rangers. If Kaapo Kakko will be the super rookie they have written him to be here in Finland, Rangers will have a few good players to build on. Devils now have Hughes, Hall and Subban. Habs offered Sebastian Aho a huge sum of money, but Canes will keep their biggest star.

And Phil Kessel went to Phoenix. Will the Coyotes be next year's Blues?
Earl Skakel
Headlining Clubs

Post by Earl Skakel »

Thought you hockey fans would enjoy this!

Inappropriate Earl with hockey reporter Dennis Bernstein
https://soundcloud.com/inappropriate-ea ... -part-deux

Not going Stonebreed here but it's about an hour and a half and we talk mostly the LA Kings and some NHL Draft.

Thanks
Earl
The Inappropriate Earl Podcast is on Itunes or Soundcloud
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/ina ... 96362?mt=2
https://soundcloud.com/inappropriate-earl
http://www.twitter.com/earlskakel
New comedy album out on Itunes under Earl Skakel
kytepunches
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by kytepunches »

ShearMagic wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:39 am Lots of goalies changing teams as of right now. Panarin gave Islanders the shaft and went to the Rangers. If Kaapo Kakko will be the super rookie they have written him to be here in Finland, Rangers will have a few good players to build on. Devils now have Hughes, Hall and Subban. Habs offered Sebastian Aho a huge sum of money, but Canes will keep their biggest star.

Not a chance the Coyotes are anything but a wild card team...at best. They are too small and injury prone to be anything else . The Coyotes have the luxury of playing in a state ,where the visiting team is more interested in golfing . A lot of wins for the Yotes are piled on unfocused visitors. When the games get harder after Christmas they always disappear. Kessel will not help their compete level in the tougher games. He can ride off into the Arizona sunset and collect his millions.

If i had to pick a team who could have a big turn around , it would be the Devils. They have some major adds to their top line and are already a pretty deep team up front. If Schneider can return to even average goaltending, they should win a lot of games.
I think the same thing goes for the Panthers. They have a really skilled forward group and with Bobrovski in net could pile up a lot of wins.

The Ottawa Senators will be the worst team the NHL has seen since they joined the league. They will finish dead last by at least 30 points .
Aerosmith87
Opening Act in Arenas

Post by Aerosmith87 »

I'm hoping Subban and Hughes get it done for the Devils. If their goaltending isn't piss poor this year and Hall has another career year, then maybe. Unfortunately, Rangers made some big signing. I hate them.

On the other hand, Columbus seems to be bleeding out talent. I can't see them being as good as they've been in past years.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

kytepunches wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:43 am
ShearMagic wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:39 am Lots of goalies changing teams as of right now. Panarin gave Islanders the shaft and went to the Rangers. If Kaapo Kakko will be the super rookie they have written him to be here in Finland, Rangers will have a few good players to build on. Devils now have Hughes, Hall and Subban. Habs offered Sebastian Aho a huge sum of money, but Canes will keep their biggest star.

Not a chance the Coyotes are anything but a wild card team...at best. They are too small and injury prone to be anything else . The Coyotes have the luxury of playing in a state ,where the visiting team is more interested in golfing . A lot of wins for the Yotes are piled on unfocused visitors. When the games get harder after Christmas they always disappear. Kessel will not help their compete level in the tougher games. He can ride off into the Arizona sunset and collect his millions.

If i had to pick a team who could have a big turn around , it would be the Devils. They have some major adds to their top line and are already a pretty deep team up front. If Schneider can return to even average goaltending, they should win a lot of games.
I think the same thing goes for the Panthers. They have a really skilled forward group and with Bobrovski in net could pile up a lot of wins.

The Ottawa Senators will be the worst team the NHL has seen since they joined the league. They will finish dead last by at least 30 points .
Goaltending killed us last season. It was pretty much league worst. Luongo was done. And Reimer couldn't handle being a starter goaltender. I believe we overpaid for Bob, but even if he provides league average goaltending, we should make the playoffs. Most people think Florida should make it considering the changes they have made this summer.

pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Aerosmith87 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:30 pm I'm hoping Subban and Hughes get it done for the Devils. If their goaltending isn't piss poor this year and Hall has another career year, then maybe. Unfortunately, Rangers made some big signing. I hate them.

On the other hand, Columbus seems to be bleeding out talent. I can't see them being as good as they've been in past years.
I'm pretty sure this will be Hall's last year with the Devils.

Yeah, the Rags made some good trades and signings. Gutted Florida didn't get Panarin. :x

Aerosmith87
Opening Act in Arenas

Post by Aerosmith87 »

pieceofme wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:48 pm
Aerosmith87 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:30 pm I'm hoping Subban and Hughes get it done for the Devils. If their goaltending isn't piss poor this year and Hall has another career year, then maybe. Unfortunately, Rangers made some big signing. I hate them.

Yeah, the Rags made some good trades and signings. Gutted Florida didn't get Panarin. :x
Yeah it sounds like Hall wants to play more than 5 career playoff games to me...so hopefully Devils can get a good haul for Hall.

You're in Vancouver, but watch Panthers? Luongo was a character, but at least Florida replaced him with Bob!
kytepunches
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by kytepunches »

Aerosmith87 wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:29 pm

Yeah it sounds like Hall wants to play more than 5 career playoff games to me...so hopefully Devils can get a good haul for Hall.

You're in Vancouver, but watch Panthers? Luongo was a character, but at least Florida replaced him with Bob!
If you had to watch the Canucks all season, you might jump ship too. :wink:
SikSyko
Opening Act in Local Bars

Post by SikSyko »

kytepunches wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:43 am
They will have the worst season they ever had this season. It will be fun watching the owner bitching at the fans for not supporting his team.
fret123
Headlining Clubs

Post by fret123 »

And then they immediately trade Smith after the playoffs debacle. Yes, management must have been really pleased with his performance and the coaching decisions.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

fret123 wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:08 am

And then they immediately trade Smith after the playoffs debacle. Yes, management must have been really pleased with his performance and the coaching decisions.
Yet the coach remains. You implied it was more to do with the coaching. Oh, and he wasn't traded, he went to free agency and was signed by the Oilers. Smith was not the issue in the playoffs. He had a poor regular season, but played well in the playoffs.

Earl Skakel
Headlining Clubs

Post by Earl Skakel »

In a rare Stonebreed moment here is a clip of me roasting Shane Doan,Tyson Nash an George Laraque!

Shane Doan Roast
https://youtu.be/jGk7sRuGlyg

Earl
Facedown

Post by Facedown »

:lol:

Nice!
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

great job earl.
Aerosmith87
Opening Act in Arenas

Post by Aerosmith87 »

kytepunches wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:24 pm
Aerosmith87 wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:29 pm

If you had to watch the Canucks all season, you might jump ship too. :wink:
Now I'm cheering for Vancouver more than anyone. I want them to make the playoffs because NJ has their first round pick from a trade with Tampa Bay :lol: Go Canucks!
Earl Skakel
Headlining Clubs

Post by Earl Skakel »

Kid-Wicked wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:18 am great job earl.
Thanks brother, was so much fun to meet all those guys and a few more that were in the crowd. I think they are doing one for Laraque at some point either in Montreal or Edmonton.

Earl
dmbrocker
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Post by dmbrocker »

R.I.P. Dale Hawerchuk at 57 (Stomach Cancer). Any NHL/Winnipeg Jets fans here remember him?

https://nhl.nbcsports.com/2020/08/18/ho ... ies-at-57/
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
ratt_gang_member
Headlining Clubs

Post by ratt_gang_member »

dmbrocker wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:56 pm R.I.P. Dale Hawerchuk at 57 (Stomach Cancer). Any NHL/Winnipeg Jets fans here remember him?

https://nhl.nbcsports.com/2020/08/18/ho ... ies-at-57/
Sad news. I remember him well, as I'm originally from Winnipeg.