Using the Yankee's payroll

A place to talk about sports, athletes and jock itch.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

UtahRatt
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Using the Yankee's payroll

Post by UtahRatt »

Which teams would you buy to take them on with? Not counting the Yankee's themselves of course.

Team 2009 payroll:

Yankees - $201,449,189
Mets - $149,373,987
Cubs - $134,809,000
Red Sox - $121,745,999
Tigers - $115,085,145
Angels - $113,709,000
Phillies - $113,004,046
Astros - $102,996,414
Dodgers - $100,414,592
Mariners - $98,904,166
Braves - $96,726,166
White Sox - $96,068,500
Giants - $82,616,450
Indians - $81,579,166
Blue Jays - $80,538,300
Brewers - $80,182,502
Cardinals - $77,605,109
Rockies - $75,201,000
Reds - $73,558,500
Diamondbacks - $73,516,666
Royals - $70,519,333
Rangers - $68,178,798
Orioles - $67,101,666
Twins - $65,299,266
Rays - $63,313,034
Athletics - $62,310,000
Nationals - $60,328,000
Pirates - $48,693,000
Padres - $43,734,200
Marlins - $36,834,000
poizond13 wrote:I have been very bummed out, sad and shocked for most of the night
Artemis2085 wrote:so I blurt out "I love you Paul!
Atomicpunk18 wrote:You see Black Crowes music has gotten me laid multiple times.
UtahRatt

Re: Using the Yankee's payroll

Post by UtahRatt »

Phillies and the Cardinals would make monster.

Adam Wainwright, Ryan Franklin and Chris Carpenter to the Philly staff? Albert Pujols and Ryan Howard..Jez what to do...

Yadier Molina catching.

It's a blender of kill is what it is.
poizond13 wrote:I have been very bummed out, sad and shocked for most of the night
Atomicpunk18 wrote:You see Black Crowes music has gotten me laid multiple times.
dtmfs
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by dtmfs »

UtahRatt wrote:Phillies and the Cardinals would make monster.

Adam Wainwright, Ryan Franklin and Chris Carpenter to the Philly staff? Albert Pujols and Ryan Howard..Jez what to do...

Yadier Molina catching.

It's a blender of kill is what it is.
that series would be fucking hilarious, I don't think the yanks even sniff a win, of course howard would be relegated to DH on the road and pinch hitting.

09' lineup if healthy
ss rollins
2b- utley
cf victorino
1b pujols
lf holliday or ibanez
rf werth
3b glaus

lee, wainright, carpenter, hamels, franklin, madson, lidge
fucking brutal.

hell you pretty much take any of those teams and make a roster that would destroy the evil empire.
Monsters_of_Rock
Recording Your Demo

Post by Monsters_of_Rock »

Spending $201,449,189 on payroll is beyond unethical. Give me the current Twins roster and an extra $136,149,923 (the difference between the Twins payroll and the Yankees payroll) to spend on player salaries... and I'll build a team that could kick the living shit out of the Yankees 9 times out of 10. To say that MLB desperately needs a salary cap would be the greatest understatement of all-time. Fuck the Yankees!!! :evil:
"We're gonna score 17? OK!!! What is Plaxico playing defense now?"
--Tom Brady
JakeYonkel
Headlining Clubs

Post by JakeYonkel »

johnk5150
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by johnk5150 »

UtahRatt wrote:Which teams would you buy to take them on with? Not counting the Yankee's themselves of course.

Team 2009 payroll:

Pirates - $48,693,000
Padres - $43,734,200
Marlins - $36,834,000
If I'm a fan of any of these 3 teams I'm firebombing the owner's house. That is un-the-fuck-acceptable.
He's like the Liberace of bass & pot.

$tevil
JakeYonkel
Headlining Clubs

Post by JakeYonkel »

The thing that would drive me absolutely crazy if I was a Marlins fan is that their team is really solid, consistently around .500 - and you figure if they would open the checkbook even a crack they'd be at least a playoff team.

The Padres are just devoid of talent outside of Adrian Gonzalez and Heath Bell.

The Pirates are hopefully heading in the right direction, with the number of prospects they've picked up SOME of them have to pan out.
bane
Threesome with Pam and Donna

Post by bane »

JakeYonkel wrote:
The Pirates are hopefully heading in the right direction, with the number of prospects they've picked up SOME of them have to pan out.
It won't matter. They may squeek out a competitive run of a year maybe, but as soon as those prospects get good and they're eligible they'll go to a big money team. Do you really think the Royals wanted to see Beltran go? The small market teams are nothing more than farm clubs for the Yankees and Sox of the world.
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

Don't blame The Yankees for playing by the rules!
Monsters_of_Rock
Recording Your Demo

Post by Monsters_of_Rock »

Machado wrote:Don't blame The Yankees for playing by the rules!
Although I admit that what they're doing isn't against the rules, it is still highly unethical. Yes, MLB needs to fix the problem to prevent weasels like the NYY from taking advantage. But the mere fact that they do take advantage is the reason why people who understand the difference between right and wrong hate the motherfuckers. What the Yankees are doing is 100 times worse than the steroid problem.
"We're gonna score 17? OK!!! What is Plaxico playing defense now?"
--Tom Brady
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs
Location: Of course you can't stand gay people. Check out your own animated sig, you fucking idiot - Moggio

Post by thejuggernaut »

Monsters_of_Rock wrote:
Although I admit that what they're doing isn't against the rules, it is still highly unethical. Yes, MLB needs to fix the problem to prevent weasels like the NYY from taking advantage. But the mere fact that they do take advantage is the reason why people who understand the difference between right and wrong hate the motherfuckers. What the Yankees are doing is 100 times worse than the steroid problem.
LOL

Jesus Christ, you never stop, do you ?

If they have, they should spend it.

If the Yankees win, MLB wins.
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

Monsters_of_Rock wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
you got jokes.
worse than the steroid problem??

keep in mind, the Yankees do pay a luxury tax for having such a high payroll. i want to see the red sox and maybe 1 or 2 other teams also do the same because of their high payroll.
not every team can play in a major market.
that being said, just look at the previous WORLD SERIES winners since 2000. are teams from the major markets dominating???
JakeYonkel
Headlining Clubs

Post by JakeYonkel »

thejuggernaut wrote:If the Yankees win, MLB wins.
MLB is going to make a KILLING off of merch from the Yankees' win. Add to that the fact that Hideki Matsui, who is revered in Japan, won the MVP award... baseball is happy the Yankees won from a business standpoint.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

bane wrote:
JakeYonkel wrote:
It won't matter. They may squeek out a competitive run of a year maybe, but as soon as those prospects get good and they're eligible they'll go to a big money team. Do you really think the Royals wanted to see Beltran go? The small market teams are nothing more than farm clubs for the Yankees and Sox of the world.
Yup. That's why the folks here in Montreal got off the bus after the 1994 labor stoppage. The Expos had a front office and scouting staff that was second to none. They drew consistently well for most years in the 1980's, the thing is that once the players became arbitration eligible, they couldn't keep them. The money the Expos made from radio and TV revenue paled in comparison to that of the Yankees, Mets, Red Sox, etc. People here could have lived with being aced out of the 1994 world championship had the end result of the work stoppage been meaningful revenue sharing (such as all teams broadcasting revenue, be it national or local, goes into the pot for everyone to share), BUT that didn't happen, the labor stoppage solved nothing, and the week it was all over the Expos continued to lose players. End result - a generation of fans slowly abandoned the game, realizing, unlike the folks in KC, Pittsburgh, and any other number of cities that they had little to no chance of ever winning.

People like to paint a picture that fans in Montreal didn't care for baseball, but the reality is that baseball abandoned US. This city has a great baseball history - all the way back to the Montreal Royals being the Brooklyn Dodgers AAA afiliate. Jackie Robinson played HERE, and most of the old Dodger greats will tell you they loved playing here.

MLB and Bud Selig SUCK!
bane
Threesome with Pam and Donna

Post by bane »

WOLF wrote:
bane wrote:
Yup. That's why the folks here in Montreal got off the bus after the 1994 labor stoppage. The Expos had a front office and scouting staff that was second to none. They drew consistently well for most years in the 1980's, the thing is that once the players became arbitration eligible, they couldn't keep them. The money the Expos made from radio and TV revenue paled in comparison to that of the Yankees, Mets, Red Sox, etc. People here could have lived with being aced out of the 1994 world championship had the end result of the work stoppage been meaningful revenue sharing (such as all teams broadcasting revenue, be it national or local, goes into the pot for everyone to share), BUT that didn't happen, the labor stoppage solved nothing, and the week it was all over the Expos continued to lose players. End result - a generation of fans slowly abandoned the game, realizing, unlike the folks in KC, Pittsburgh, and any other number of cities that they had little to no chance of ever winning.

People like to paint a picture that fans in Montreal didn't care for baseball, but the reality is that baseball abandoned US. This city has a great baseball history - all the way back to the Montreal Royals being the Brooklyn Dodgers AAA afiliate. Jackie Robinson played HERE, and most of the old Dodger greats will tell you they loved playing here.

MLB and Bud Selig SUCK!
The Expos had the best player development in baseball, period. When you think about how many absolute super stars came up in that system, it boggles the mind. It is a shame what the league and Player's Association did to them (and you). It's happening in other cities too. It's a bit of hidden problem unless you actually live in or root for a small market team though. As long as NY and Boston are around, ESPN etc. can sell their bill of goods and the league as a whole is still making money, but the game itself is dying. Outside of the NE, football is king and the margin grows every year. It's an easy enough fix though. A cap. A floor. Real revenue sharing. Problem solved. They'll either do it, or a generation from now MLB will be the NHL.
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

JakeYonkel wrote:
MLB is going to make a KILLING off of merch from the Yankees' win. Add to that the fact that Hideki Matsui, who is revered in Japan, won the MVP award... baseball is happy the Yankees won from a business standpoint.
So that's what Baseball is all about! Merchandising and ratings! Fuck, I use to think it was about the spirit of the game but it's really about selling hat's and tee's.
Machado
"Thread Vaginosis"

Post by Machado »

UtahRatt wrote:
JakeYonkel wrote:
So that's what Baseball is all about! Merchandising and ratings! Fuck, I use to think it was about the spirit of the game but it's really about selling hat's and tee's.
Once the post-season begins, never is there a time when $elling merch priority #1 for MLB(Bud Selig and Bob DuPay)
Just look at the foolish act of "the winning team" being given playoff hats to wear, world series hats to wear, moments after the game has ended.
It's sick. I hate to see that.
As far as ratings, well it's easy to see that the Networks control who plays, at what time, on what day, etc.....
The bottom line is $$$ and forget about the fact that when the game was over last night and the Yankees were celebrating, it was past midnight
in NYC.
Sabu
Taking Music Lessons

Post by Sabu »

I'm all for a salary cap... as long as there's a salary floor as well.

Baseball NEEDS the Yankees to operate the way they do though. It gives fans of every other team that doesn't make it someone to root against once there team is out of it. It keeps them into the game. Making the Yankees have to play with the same deck of cards as everyone else makes them just another team, and that's the last thing baseball needs. MLB needs the Yanks to be the team everyone hates, and the Yanks play the role well.
johnk5150
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by johnk5150 »

Sabu wrote:I'm all for a salary cap... as long as there's a salary floor as well.

Baseball NEEDS the Yankees to operate the way they do though. It gives fans of every other team that doesn't make it someone to root against once there team is out of it.
That isn't why baseball needs the Yankees. Every road game the Yankees play is why baseball needs the Yankees. People WATCH them. No one watches a Seattle v KC game. Even if you hate them, you NEED them.

The Steelers are the only team I've consistently seen travel better than the MFY.
He's like the Liberace of bass & pot.

$tevil
TawnyVonJagger
Fuck The Yankees

Post by TawnyVonJagger »

JakeYonkel wrote:The thing that would drive me absolutely crazy if I was a Marlins fan is that their team is really solid, consistently around .500 - and you figure if they would open the checkbook even a crack they'd be at least a playoff team.
Le sigh. Again, a new ballpark is being built as we speak. When it is opened, the checkbook will be. We play in a goddamn football stadium, and get little to no revenues from that.
As proof of this, they're looking to sign Josh Johnson to a long term deal. :) Also remember Hanley is signed long term as well.
The Marlins always put out a competitive, fun to watch team! And don't forget they won the WS in 03 on a $54 million dollar payroll, vs. the Yankees gazillions.
johnk5150 wrote:
Sabu wrote:I'm all for a salary cap... as long as there's a salary floor as well.

Baseball NEEDS the Yankees to operate the way they do though. It gives fans of every other team that doesn't make it someone to root against once there team is out of it.
That isn't why baseball needs the Yankees. Every road game the Yankees play is why baseball needs the Yankees. People WATCH them. No one watches a Seattle v KC game. Even if you hate them, you NEED them.
Hate to admit it, but it's true. When the Yanks came to town last June, they put much needed asses in the seats. Traffic sucked, but it was nice to see an almost full ballpark watching baseball.
Fuck sigs.
doctordestructo
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by doctordestructo »

I can do it for less than the payroll of the METS.

Twins+Cardinals

SP Carpentar
SP Wainwright
SP Wellmeyer
SP Slowey
SP Baker
RP Duensing
RP Neshek
RP Nathan
RP Pineiro
RP Franklin
RP Mijares
RP Lohse

C Mauer
1B Pujols
2B DeRosa
SS Cabrera
3B Freese
LF Holliday
CF Span
RF Cuddyer
DH Morneau
OF Rasmus
OF Kubel
IF Harris
C Molina

Tell me that doesn't beat the Yankees.
WhiteHouseSubsAC
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by WhiteHouseSubsAC »

The thing that strikes me about those payroll numbers is the Rangers. Kinsler, Young, Hamilton...if they played in a big market, their salaries would eclipse the entire Ranger payroll.
HeavyMetalZombie666 wrote:Of course your asshole is going to be sore when you volunteer for an asspounding and not set any boundaries at all.
Sabu
Taking Music Lessons

Post by Sabu »

johnk5150 wrote:

The Steelers are the only team I've consistently seen travel better than the MFY.
Well that's obvious to. There are transplant New Yorkers all over the country that go out to see the Yanks when they're in town, and then you get the home team's fans out in full force to see the Yanks. But without the 200 million dollar payroll, that stops. Nobody is going to flock to the home park to see an 80 million dollar 3rd-place Yankee team when they're in town.

It all comes back to though MLB needing the Yanks to keep doing what they do. The ratings for this World Series only back it up. They went from abysmal numbers last year (no Yankees in the playoffs) to huge numbers this year. They have the biggest fanbase in the game, and the largest number of haters in the game.
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs
Location: Of course you can't stand gay people. Check out your own animated sig, you fucking idiot - Moggio

Post by thejuggernaut »

UtahRatt wrote:
JakeYonkel wrote:

At one time it was. But around the late 80's is when the unions officially took over the game started the escalation we have seen. When Mark Langston was a hired gun, the talk was him being the first 3 million dollar man. Puckett got it, and then Langston shortly after that.

Then Canseco went to 4 million in 1990. Clemens 5 million in 91. Ryne Sandberg 7 million in 1992 and so on and so forth.
UtahRatt

Post by UtahRatt »

I'd love to watch the Yankees function with a cap. Their fan's going ape shit over just one loosing season would bring joy to my sports world, honestly, who doesn't expect them to win each and every fucking year? It's a total joke.

Right now I'm more interested in what the NFL is going to do, I haven't read much about the CBA coming to an end but I pray they do something. The thought of Washington and Dallas buying up the free agent market is painful.

Money has ruined sports. I can't relate to my fucking teams anymore because I never know who the fuck is on the roster each season, it's a revolving door on the price is right.
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs

Post by thejuggernaut »

UtahRatt wrote:I'd love to watch the Yankees function with a cap. Their fan's going ape shit over just one loosing season would bring joy to my sports world, honestly, who doesn't expect them to win each and every fucking year? It's a total joke.

Right now I'm more interested in what the NFL is going to do, I haven't read much about the CBA coming to an end but I pray they do something. The thought of Washington and Dallas buying up the free agent market is painful.

Money has ruined sports. I can't relate to my fucking teams anymore because I never know who the fuck is on the roster each season, it's a revolving door on the price is right.
I wouldn't mind seeing the NFL:

1. Get rid of the salary cap. It's been established that the biggest spenders don't always win. The best teams this decade are well known for locking up some key guys, but releasing others when their salaries get too high. At the very least, increase it greatly. With revenue sharing, there's plenty to go around.

2. Increase the roster size. This would allow for more innovation in the game.

3. A rookie salary cap. It's ridiculous that an untested 21 year old can make 15 million per year, while a still highly serviceable veteran sometimes has to play for the league minimum, all on account of accommodating an untested rookie.

4. A type of Larry Bird rule. It would have to be someone either drafted by the team or signed as an undrafted free agent. However, if you sign them to an extension, there should be a reduced cap hit. Something along the lines of anything above and beyond the floor of the market of that position is not counted toward the cap.

5. Increase the age/time of unrestricted free agency. Teams would have to think long and hard about trying to poach talent. It wouldn't affect a team like Washington, who trades away their draft almost every year. But it would discourage roster bingo.
demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

Monsters_of_Rock wrote:Spending $201,449,189 on payroll is beyond unethical.
Not nearly as unethical as the people running teams into the ground with $40 million payrolls.
Moggio wrote:You see, the problem with you is that you act like I have no credibility or something.
PhoenixFlames wrote:AVATAR made 2.7 billion which (maths) is close to 3 x million millions!!!!!!
thejuggernaut
Headlining Clubs

Post by thejuggernaut »

demolition23 wrote:
Monsters_of_Rock wrote:Spending $201,449,189 on payroll is beyond unethical.
Not nearly as unethical as the people running teams into the ground with $40 million payrolls.

I'd like to know exactly how the Yanks are "unethical" when it comes to spending.